ALM Busy Circuits MCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re: ALM Busy Circuits MCO

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm

ALM wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:22 pm
I thought it was 'Matthews Cool Oscillator' 8-)
BA-DUM-TSSSSSS.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Fri May 22, 2020 3:40 pm

ALM wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:22 pm
I thought it was 'Matthews Cool Oscillator' 8-)
Damn, that actually crossed my mind!

Eddi18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eddi18 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi guys, didn’t know where I might post a noob question regarding the MCO. I’ve just taken delivery of an MCO along with about £800 worth of other modules, pics of set up to follow!

I have been using plaits and maths with varying degrees of success and the hat I have enjoyed is playing plaits like a “normal synth”, using my key step using a CV input into the 1V/O input and using a gate input into the trigger on the plaits.

My question is: is there a way to do this with the MCO or do I need to patch around my rack to get a “traditional mono synth” functionality out of it as it doesn’t have a trigger/gate input?

Thanks in advance.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed May 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Eddi18 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 pm
Hi guys, didn’t know where I might post a noob question regarding the MCO. I’ve just taken delivery of an MCO along with about £800 worth of other modules, pics of set up to follow!

I have been using plaits and maths with varying degrees of success and the hat I have enjoyed is playing plaits like a “normal synth”, using my key step using a CV input into the 1V/O input and using a gate input into the trigger on the plaits.

My question is: is there a way to do this with the MCO or do I need to patch around my rack to get a “traditional mono synth” functionality out of it as it doesn’t have a trigger/gate input?

Thanks in advance.
Most oscillators don't have a trigger in. Plaits is an exception (maths isn't exactly an oscillator, it's a function generator), since plaits is a macro oscillator, which is basically an entire synth voice in a module. You need a VCA with an envelope generator (like maths) which controls the volume of the oscillator you plug into it if you want it to stop making sound.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Eddi18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eddi18 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:57 am

Ahh right, that actually makes sense! That’s not a slight on you, I’m just shocked that all these terms are starting to fall into place for me!

Thanks for the speedy reply, I was kind of worried I’d bought the wrong oscillator for a minute. I’ve got a few days off work now, time to master this whole VCA thing. I’ve got Maths like I mentioned and I also got ALT from Nano Modules, seems pretty competent VCA by all accounts.

Time to go and make some bleeps and bloops!

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu May 28, 2020 3:12 am

Eddi18 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:57 am
Ahh right, that actually makes sense! That’s not a slight on you, I’m just shocked that all these terms are starting to fall into place for me!

Thanks for the speedy reply, I was kind of worried I’d bought the wrong oscillator for a minute. I’ve got a few days off work now, time to master this whole VCA thing. I’ve got Maths like I mentioned and I also got ALT from Nano Modules, seems pretty competent VCA by all accounts.

Have fun! It's easy to get confused initially, but luckily there are plenty of beginner modular tutorials online. Maths in particular is a great starting point in that regard. There are ways to use to take care of many of intiial functions you need, including a VCA.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 am

Eddi18 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:57 am

I started out with Plaits as well, and the first time I needed a VCA was an MCO purchase. You might want to get yourself a filter too.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”