Make Noise Rosie

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Make Noise Rosie

Post by booger » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:36 am

I really like this module. I initially bought it just to fill out empty space on my B&G Shared System. The output from Rosie sounds way more 'rich' and 'full' to me than when I plug into the utility strip. Plus, the send and returns are a nice option. I realize that it's not the sexiest module but I didn't see any posts on it specifically, so I thought I'd give it a shout out.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:42 am

stereo outs with a limiter on both sides comes in handy, especially when taking the synth out of the studio

its actually the module ive played the longest, almost 3 years now

hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I’ve got a WMD Pro Output which I chose over the Rosie when I built my first rack because I needed the 2hp difference in size elsewhere, but especially as I consider trying to build up a “performance” that has voices coming in and out, rather than just moving voices around, that cue listen circuit feels like something I should’ve found the 2hp for somehow.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Another happy Rosie user here. As I’ve spent more time wiggling, I’ve learned that some utility modules are actually more important for the “fun and easy” part than the sexy modules that get all the attention here and elsewhere online.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gnsk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:25 am

I considered between MN Rosie and Bastl Ciao!, and selected the Rosie.
I'm using the Cue Output as Send, for 100% wet.
FYI, It is more HP but, skiff friendly than Ciao.

keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofsalvador » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:16 am

Another happy Rosie user here. It’s a clever design that adds control at home and at gigs. It can be fun to overdive the inputs and get some distortion from the limiters. Maybe not for a live set, but that can be cool for recording a part or two. It’s also nice to have a headphone out while traveling and being away from my speakers.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 am

Been wanting to get Rosie, I just wish it had modular level outputs as well, so it’s work as a little mixer / ext audio processor /fx chain as well as an output module.

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:26 am

I freakin' love the Rosie and use it daily.
Does anyone else ever experience scratchiness from the pots? I occassionally hear some scratchiness but could be a cable issue.

PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:28 pm

yellowecho wrote:I freakin' love the Rosie and use it daily.
Does anyone else ever experience scratchiness from the pots? I occassionally hear some scratchiness but could be a cable issue.
I have a ton of make noise and scratchy pots are business as usual for a couple year old module of theirs. Contact them and they can fix it.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:00 pm

PolarIceCaves wrote:
yellowecho wrote:I freakin' love the Rosie and use it daily.
I have a ton of make noise and scratchy pots are business as usual for a couple year old module of theirs. Contact them and they can fix it.
i think its one of those where the A/B pot makes noise ( :miley: ) if any signals running thru it when you turn it

the details on why are foggy but i seem to recall it being a design aspect (some kinda tradeoff maybe?)

speaking of design aspects, has anyone found any use for the expansion header on the back? that kinda things above my pay grade but im always interested in cool stories

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:54 pm

moremagic wrote: the details on why are foggy but i seem to recall it being a design aspect (some kinda tradeoff maybe?)
So it's a feature? :doh:
I have an MMG with scratchy pots too so I may just send all my funky modules to them at the same time.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 am

I just picked up a Rosie from Control to centralize my Eurorack/non-Eurorack sound sources and add headphone capabilities as well. Eurorack gets summed by Sound Stage/LRMSMSLR into the main inputs; drum machine and poly synths go into a 10 channel Behringer mixer, CRTL RM out into Return on the Rosie. It sounds way better to monitor through the Rosie than the Behringer.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:35 pm

BenA718 wrote:I just picked up a Rosie from Control to centralize my Eurorack/non-Eurorack sound sources and add headphone capabilities as well. Eurorack gets summed by Sound Stage/LRMSMSLR into the main inputs; drum machine and poly synths go into a 10 channel Behringer mixer, CRTL RM out into Return on the Rosie. It sounds way better to monitor through the Rosie than the Behringer.
I keep my LRMSMSLR right next to Rosie to go through the stereo return, but running the drums and external gear makes a lot of sense if you're using the headphone cue a lot. Since those inputs are always routed through the cue it's probably easier to audition the A/B channels with drums behind them.

My one issue with Rosie is that the crossfade seems to have a dip in loudness when it's 50/50. When fully to one side, the individual A or B channel always seems significantly louder than the 50/50 mix of the two. I usually find my self adjusting the main level while crossfading to keep the volume constant.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

I always seemed to struggle with gain staging with Rosie. But it's a great output module with a lot of functionality for the size & price.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Another happy Rosie user here

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:48 am

FatKingTubby wrote:
My one issue with Rosie is that the crossfade seems to have a dip in loudness when it's 50/50. When fully to one side, the individual A or B channel always seems significantly louder than the 50/50 mix of the two. I usually find my self adjusting the main level while crossfading to keep the volume constant.
My guess is that the middle between a and b has headroom/gain stage in mind

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am

moremagic wrote:So it's a feature? :doh:
I have an MMG with scratchy pots too so I may just send all my funky modules to them at the same time.
Same here! I have a Rosie and MMG with scratchy pots and will need to send them off :doh:

I LOVE the Rosie though and use it every day. The FX loop is amazing especially with delays and reverbs. The only thing I don't like (besides the scratchy pots) is that noise still bleeds through even when turned all the way down. I've heard this is a 'feature' too but I'd prefer if it went fully silent.

krell

Post by krell » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:35 pm

Can anyone confirm that Rosie works with ~250ohm headphones? I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT150 which didn't work well with the Intellijel uJack

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:59 pm

I just got a Rosie recently and I'm generally happy with it.

One small issue: I purchased a TRS Y cable for the main output. If I push the cable all the way in, the output signal drops to almost nothing. This is fixed by simply pulling the cable out a little bit so that it is about 3/4 of the way in, but feel like this is wrong and I should be able to have the cable plugged in 100%.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I buy the wrong cable? This is the cable: https://hosatech.com/products/analog-au ... s/cys-100/

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:17 pm

vantablack wrote:
Yeah you're probably right. I figured it was like that by design but just something I've had to keep in mind while using it.
bedhed3000 wrote: One small issue: I purchased a TRS Y cable for the main output. If I push the cable all the way in, the output signal drops to almost nothing. This is fixed by simply pulling the cable out a little bit so that it is about 3/4 of the way in, but feel like this is wrong and I should be able to have the cable plugged in 100%
What is the destination that you're sending the Rosie output to? The cable you got splits a stereo signal into two identical stereo signals. Did you perhaps mean to buy a cable that splits a stereo signal into left and right mono signals?
Last edited by FatKingTubby on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Yeah I use a send-return cable on the output. TRS to T/S-T/S.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:02 pm

FatKingTubby wrote:
vantablack wrote:
Yeah you're probably right. I figured it was like that by design but just something I've had to keep in mind while using it.
bedhed3000 wrote: One small issue: I purchased a TRS Y cable for the main output. If I push the cable all the way in, the output signal drops to almost nothing. This is fixed by simply pulling the cable out a little bit so that it is about 3/4 of the way in, but feel like this is wrong and I should be able to have the cable plugged in 100%
What is the destination that your sending the Rosie output to? The cable you got splits a stereo signal into two identical stereo signals. Did you perhaps mean to buy a cable that splits a stereo signal into left and right mono signals?
Ahh yes, now that I look at the product description I definitely bought the wrong cable. I actually bought this at a local shop and it was the only 1/4" to 1/4" Y-cable they had.

Kroggel
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Make Noise Rosie

Post by Kroggel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Do you all use Line Level effects in Rosies Send Return? The Manual says the Effekt Send Return is full modular Level. Been thinking about Rosie too, but don´t want to break my Pedal Stuff.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Kroggel wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:35 pm
Do you all use Line Level effects in Rosies Send Return? The Manual says the Effekt Send Return is full modular Level. Been thinking about Rosie too, but don´t want to break my Pedal Stuff.
I only used mine with a modular level effect. You’ll probably want a pedal interface for that.

vizor81
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vizor81 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Kroggel wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:35 pm
I can recommend the Strymon AA.1 (Amplifier Attenuator) module for translating between Rosie and Big Sky.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”