convince me to keep mutable frames

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

sbmani
Common Wiggler

convince me to keep mutable frames

Post by sbmani » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:10 am

in a module buying frenzy (we’ve all been there) I picked up mutable frames but I never had room in my rack for it. now I’m wondering - should I even keep it? right now I think it’s best use for me would be as a quad vca. Anyone love this module?

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:38 am

I never understood why there isn't a frenzy for this module as much as for Clouds or Plaits... It's unique. Unique i tell you. I have two of them and could do with more...
The whole quad vca thing for a start, of course. Evolving ambient, here we go. Either with modulating audio or cv, either automated by a lfo, s/h or synced env (very effective).
Parasite firmware: the quad sequencer mode, or quad pseudo turing machine....
The easter egg: quadrature lfo with wavetable.... And if you turn the big knob fully clockwise, its control takes 1v/octave. Yes, quadrature wavetable oscillator, perfectly in tune.
Those are the basics. It really is a module that comes alive when you patch it in unexpected ways. I understand why people complain about the size of it, but in practice, it does make sense. I think a very big issue with Frames is it is actually difficult to grasp its potential unless you spend a few weeks at least with it, trying to incorporate it in whatever patches you are working on. Yes, it's big, but i got rid of so many random, s/h and cv controlled mixer modules since i use it that down the line i actually made some space in my case. If you are after injecting some organic vibe in your patches, then this is the best module around IN MY OPINION. Just remember that there is so many things that you can use to cv control that big glowing knob, and creativity will flow....

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:58 am

:hail: F :hail: R :hail: A :hail: M :hail: E :hail: S :hail:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:27 am

It's decent but i didn't love mine. Easter eggs, modes and whatnot - like many of the older MI's it can be hard to keep track of what mode you are currently in or how to change modes, unless you e.g use it daily. I also thought the number of steps it had was a bit on the low side.

It was super hard to sell too, i think eventually i sold it with like a 50-60% loss, i usually can sell modules within days, this took me well over a month.

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:36 am

Interesting. May i ask what you used it for , and how many steps you would have found suitable? You have me being very curious there☺️. In all fairness, i always found that it was a weird choice from olivier (40,:if i remember well) and either 32 or 64 would have been more ligical for sequencer use ..

sbmani
Common Wiggler

Post by sbmani » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:30 am

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid —- I still don’t get how this is called a quad VCA. if I have four signals in, it’s not like I can send four individual envelopes in to amplify that signal to each respective output.

I guess the control knobs for each channel let me control amplitude but then that still doesn’t let me send an envelope in...something I’m missing here?

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:04 am

Frames is awesome - I agree that it’s a module that you need to play with a bit before you get it. I’m about to get a second one imminently.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 am

sbmani wrote:At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid —- I still don’t get how this is called a quad VCA. if I have four signals in, it’s not like I can send four individual envelopes in to amplify that signal to each respective output.

I guess the control knobs for each channel let me control amplitude but then that still doesn’t let me send an envelope in...something I’m missing here?
if you set up your first frame to be min amplitude and your last frame to be max amplitude (on all four channels), an envelope into the frame CV input would scale the amplitude of all four channels according to the time and shape of that envelope. you could modify the shape of that envelope for each channel by creating differences between each channels' frames.

sbmani
Common Wiggler

Post by sbmani » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:54 am

autopoiesis wrote:
sbmani wrote:At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid —- I still don’t get how this is called a quad VCA. if I have four signals in, it’s not like I can send four individual envelopes in to amplify that signal to each respective output.

if you set up your first frame to be min amplitude and your last frame to be max amplitude (on all four channels), an envelope into the frame CV input would scale the amplitude of all four channels according to the time and shape of that envelope. you could modify the shape of that envelope for each channel by creating differences between each channels' frames.

THANK YOU! that makes so much sense. I guess I was stuck because I was wondering how to get 4 independent envelopes into Frames, i see your point about creating differences in the control knobs between frames to modify the shape of the envelope though, very cool

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 am

I use Frames for:

- Creating a large number of modulator mixes (LFO’s, sample and hold, VCO’s) which can be scanned or sequenced
- As 4 dynamic envelope generators (envelope time is controlled by the CV input)
- Scanning fixed voltage combinations with a sequencer channel or a sample and hold output
- Scanning FxdF mixes, either for audio or modulation
- As a dynamic multi-wave waveform mixer (using multiple waveform outputs from the same VCO) - move from sine to triangle to square to saw to square sawtooth, and everything in between
- As a quadrature LFO
- As a configurable 4 channel voltage controlled switch
- As a 4 channel sequential switch
- As a simple cross fader
- As a CV companion for a sequencer, using one CV channel of the sequencer to drive the 4 CV channels of Frames
- Playing the knob as a 4 axis performance controller

I have found the mechanics of Frames fairly easy and the outcomes deeply satisfying. It’s one of Olivier’s best modules, in my opinion, and an incredible amount of power per HP. It’s never leaving my rack.

If your’re struggling with the mechanics, my recommendation would be to forget about switching modes, etc. and just practice adding 3-4 mix points and then experiment with audio, modulations and fixed voltages.

FadingCanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by FadingCanvas » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 am

I had my Frames for sale, I had some potential buyers, but yesterday I decided to keep it. I'll study this thread, and spend some more time with this unique module. :hihi:

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:27 am

Frames is the only Mutable module I have and I think it's great, even in my small 4u 84hp system. It's the main sequencer in my rack and in addition to all the uses people have already mentioned, I like to set it up to behave like a Doepfer morph controller, sending a sound or oscillator to multiple effects and into Frames to scan between each one like a wavetable.

It also makes an awesome, programmable compressor. You can use it as a dual stereo compressor, or a 4 channel mono, with control over the slope and amount of compression on each channel. I like to send a mono mix into the all input of Three Sisters, and send the three bands into Frames, mult the low band to an envelope follower to modulate Frames' input, and leave the low band VCA open to create a sort of sidechain multiband compressor mixer.

Frames is just such an open design, it's like a giant wild card in your system that lets you inject pure imagination into a patch. It's a "make your own utility" module.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:57 am

I should read more carefully, was talking about a different module. :doh:
Last edited by Zymos on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiggies
Common Wiggler

Post by wiggies » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:04 am

I really like the implementation of Euclidean rhythms in the Parasites firmware. It is very playable and immediate. I also can do Euclidean with Temps Utile or o_C but those are more of a "set it up and leave it alone" approach, whereas with Frames it is easy to dial up different divisions and rotate the offset with the knobs.

Frames is also my primary LFO. Using phase- or frequency- differentiated modulation slowly throughout a patch keeps things moving in interesting ways.

I seldom have used Frames for mixing/keyframing but I'm still learning.

mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:05 am

Trying it in VCV Rack has made me want to get a hardware Frames. It’s brilliant.

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm

wiggies wrote:I really like the implementation of Euclidean rhythms in the Parasites firmware. It is very playable and immediate.
This. I find it hard to use it for other things (though it can do so much) because the Euclidian mode is just so cool

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: convince me to keep mutable frames

Post by dooj88 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:17 pm

:foul: bump for a refresher on ideas with such a versatile module

mine is 90% of the time in the quadrature wavetable mode, either sending out lfos or modulating sounds with the internal vcas. i'm wondering now what would happen if it were in the +10v mode and i put voltage into the inputs.. would it sum/mix the input with the wavetable lfo output? could create some craazy feedback loops with that and a JAG.

the euclidean rhythm mode is brilliant too. i need to check what happens when the +10v is activated in that mode.. will report back after some more messin

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 pm

I’ve had Frames for the last year and I really need to sit down and learn how to use it properly.
here hare here!

grebben
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grebben » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm

The clever application of animation and keyframing concepts are what sold me on Frames. If size is an issue consider the Plancks or something similar, all the fun at 1/4 the size :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”