Any thoughts on the Roland System-500 505 filter?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

tomatoKetchup
Common Wiggler

Any thoughts on the Roland System-500 505 filter?

Post by tomatoKetchup » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Not many reviews or comments about this module, just a couple official Roland demo videos on YT.

Any user around here can share their opinion?

Cheers.
Last edited by tomatoKetchup on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jicamasalad
Common Wiggler

Re: Any thoughts on the Roland System-500 505 filter?

Post by jicamasalad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 am

tomatoKetchup wrote:Not many reviews or comments about this module, just a couple official Roland demo videos on YT.

Any user around here can share there opinion?

Cheers.
Happy to share thoughts on the System 500.

I love it! I have a System 100m in my studio at the moment, alongside a healthy compliment of System 500 modules (14 in total). https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/m ... 740837.jpg

After the first few weeks of obsessively comparing the two, and finding the System 500 to be a great recreation and extension of the 100m, I have actually left the 100m behind, mostly due to being constantly thwarted by crackling slider pots, and intermittent jacks and all the other things you would expect from a 35 year old piece of analog electronics. Of course the form-factor of the 100m makes fine adjustment of controls easier, but this is a common complaint with the size of the Eurorack modules, their controls and their density on small front panels. I find the SYS 500 layout, build quality (especially now that they are being made entirely in Japan) and sound all to be excellent.

Specifically to the 505 filter, it has a very unique sound; I have never played around with an SH-5, so I can't make any comparisons, but the 505 can create a great range of sounds, and the "eccentric" behavior of the resonance can yield results from subtle to very edgy and everything in between. I have two of them and I use them all the time. That said, there are some odd "dead bands' as you sweep the cutoff with CVs or the front pot, and a kind of "null point' when the Q is set very high - possibly some kind of damping circuit to keep feedback from getting out of control? Not sure; in any case, you can work with the results, and the filter certainly has it's own voice!

I have plans to make a pretty comprehensive video of System 500 sounds outside the EDM realm that has been shown in current demos on the inter webs. I'll be sure to post something here when I finally get those videos up.

Meanwhile, I would enthusiastically endorse going in to the System 500 world, if you have the means, and like the Roland sound and design and build quality. I'm sure many folks would rather wait for Behringer reproductions, and more power to them. For myself I want to show Roland my support for bringing these great modules to market.

- kS
Last edited by jicamasalad on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
crickets sound best

tomatoKetchup
Common Wiggler

Post by tomatoKetchup » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks jicamasalad for sharing your opnion. WOuld love to hear a demo of the 505 from a user like you for sure, hope you'll get to do it eventually.

Eichburger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eichburger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Love mine. It's very unusual and quirky. You can run the same signal through both filters and it just sounds incredible when you take the mixed output. Vastly preferred it to the 521.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:01 am

Anyone getting bleed with theirs? I have audio going into In 2 but when there's no jack going into Input 1, the sound of Input 2 comes out of Ouput 1. I have the left filter set to VCF1 and the right filter set to VCF2 and looking at the block diagram on the Roland site both outputs should not come out of either input unless specifically switched to do so...
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Avdvorm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Avdvorm » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:08 am

That’s normal behaviour and it is written in the manual ,imo.

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:29 am

The way I read the block diagram (and the way it behaves) is that inputs 1 + 2 are always mixed. The select switches affect the post filter VCAs. I find the module layout quite misleading and agree that just by looking at the module, I'd expect a different behaviour. Especially since their own 521 VCF module works differently, despite a similar layout. Still, great module.
don't fold the wave you're riding on

Return to “Eurorack Modules”