Clocks clocks clocks

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

LazyCircuit
Common Wiggler

Clocks clocks clocks

Post by LazyCircuit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 am

I currently have a Temps Utile but I have not taken to it as I would have liked. I think it might be that the menus need more time to feel natural but I am looking for an alternative. I like the look of Little Nerd by Bastl but I need to feed it a clock.

Ideally I need a master clock that I can set the BPM digitally so that I can edit what I have recorded easily in my DAW. Apart from TU and Pamela, what other digital clock options are there? I don’t want to rely on the clock from my DAW so that I can compose away from my laptop.

magneteyez
Common Wiggler

Post by magneteyez » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:00 am

The modules from Expert Sleepers give a stead clock

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 am

I use a Tempi. It's even more fantastic paired with the Rene 2. Can't "set" bpm though, but can tap bpm in. There's a bit of menu diving if you're using it without slaving it on the select bus if you want to save states but otherwise it feels very natural and easy to use.

I had a Shakmat Time Wizard earlier, which is also excellent (no internal clock though) - but they did tease a master clock module to pair with the Time Wizard last year, let's hope it shows up soon.

HorseyWindpump
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HorseyWindpump » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 am

The Erica Synths Black Voltage Controlled Clock has a BPM display, so might be worth checking out.

If willing to go without the BPM display, the Rebel Technology CLK is a cheaper/simpler alternative.

Heliophile
Common Wiggler

Post by Heliophile » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:24 am

Mutable Yarns is probably not the cheapest option, but it has a digital clock display and will also allow you to clock in conjunction with your DAW if you wish to do that on occassion.
Heliophile - synthpop
http://heliophile.bandcamp.com/

LazyCircuit
Common Wiggler

Post by LazyCircuit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:13 am

Thanks.

I think I definitely want that bpm readout. Time to check out the Erica synths option, though I would buy the Time Wizard immediately if the clock expander were available.

kidkoexist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kidkoexist » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:25 am

The standalone Shakmat clock we're waiting on is the Clock O' Pawn not sure about an actual expander to Time Wizard, though it could use some CV options so I'd be very interested if that was coming. I haven't seen them reply on the thread about it in a while.

Another one that we're waiting on is the Spooky Action from vpme.de (of Euclidean Circles fame.) This one will have Ableton Link, MIDI in/out, and it's own internal clock with bpm display. VPME responded to me quickly on FB to say he doesn't have any updates on this one yet as he's been busy with some real life stuff.

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 am

LazyCircuit wrote:Thanks.

I think I definitely want that bpm readout. Time to check out the Erica synths option, though I would buy the Time Wizard immediately if the clock expander were available.
I have the Erica one. I really like it, as it display the BPM as well i can add swing if I want to.

Now that said, you should know that there isn't sure a super steady clock that will remains 100% the exact same, like a DAW clock. Once you drop your recording into your DAW, it's very likely that you will have to warp thing around (if you are on Ableton for example) to make it perfectly on the grid.

I tried before the TipTop Circadian Rhythm and had the same issue, goes the same with my TR707 or anything I've used that has a clock which i tried to sync with Ableton in a DJ fashion, means that I have the BPM at let's say 120 on the modular clock and 120 on Ableton, no matter what you always have to nudge the modular up or down to follow. Means it's not steady at all.

IT WILL ALWAYS MOVE.

My suggestion is, get your modular synced from your DAW, doesn't mean you have to make music with it (for now), but at least the sync will be spot on and no edit struggle once recorded.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:48 am

You could use an O'Tool to get a BPM readout for any clock.

I often use Monome Teletype as a master clock (among many other duties). You can set it in milliseconds or BPM.

Hemisphere Suite for O_C has a Metronome app, which will also clock its other apps (sequencers, clock skipper, divider, brancher, AD envelope, etc.) I haven't used TU, but I find Hemisphere generally friendlier to navigate than O_C.

Different clocks are never going to give exactly the same BPM.

107 BPM in Hemisphere Suite reads as "107.01" in O'Tool+

107 BPM in Teletype reads as 107.31 in O'Tool+ (but if I set the clock to 562ms instead of 560 as it calculates, I get a much closer 106.93)

107 BPM in Maschine, over MIDI, converted to triggers in CV.OCD, fluctuates between 106.76 and 107.11 (hooray for MIDI :omg:)

iheartmodular
Common Wiggler

Post by iheartmodular » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 am

pams new workout is excellent

why not?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:32 am

Tempi plus Time Wizard here. The speculative upcoming bpm module from Shakmat is also on my radar.
Last edited by cackland on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Clocks clocks clocks

Post by -S.L- » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:00 pm

LazyCircuit wrote:Ideally I need a master clock that I can set the BPM digitally so that I can edit what I have recorded easily in my DAW.
that was his question, not what's your set up :oops:

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:41 pm

PNW is the obvious right answer here since it's a great module no matter what, but using a scope (Mordax DATA or O'Tool) to 'tune' your BPM is a totally reasonable solution as well and you can then use any oscillator as a clock.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 pm

It won't be easy to sync samples to your DAW if it's not physically syncing your gear. BPM is often an estimate and will fluctuate.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:50 pm

PWN is great and if you only want clocks in different divisions you won’t even need to open the menu. :tu:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:53 pm

One of Mordax DATA’s modes is a quad clock generator with start/stop and reset. And yes, it certainly does have BPM display.
Shledge wrote:It won't be easy to sync samples to your DAW if it's not physically syncing your gear. BPM is often an estimate and will fluctuate.
This is the cold, brutal reality. :cry:

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Shledge wrote:It won't be easy to sync samples to your DAW if it's not physically syncing your gear. BPM is often an estimate and will fluctuate.
thanks, that's what i'm trying to say since my first post :hail:

rossdedo
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by rossdedo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:34 pm

-S.L- wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 am
LazyCircuit wrote:Thanks.

I have the Erica one. I really like it, as it display the BPM as well i can add swing if I want to.

Now that said, you should know that there isn't sure a super steady clock that will remains 100% the exact same, like a DAW clock....

My suggestion is, get your modular synced from your DAW, doesn't mean you have to make music with it (for now), but at least the sync will be spot on and no edit struggle once recorded.
Please, are you mean it could be better a midi-to-cv module instead?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my band english.

VibratingMotorGate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VibratingMotorGate » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 pm

My fantasy eurorack has the Shakmat White Gallop, Time Wizard, Tip-top Trigger Riot, IME Zorlon Cannon MkII, 4ms QLD + Expander, and Pamela's New Workout. Of course I would have to supplement this with a lot of Plogs, couple of ARC Artificial Neural Networks, many utilities, etc. I figure: what's the point in going eurorack if you're not shooting for the stars. Clocks are honestly one of the main attractions in modular synthesis for me. I can't wait to stick a couple of oscillating square waves into the Zorlon Cannon > Filter > Joranalogue Compare 2, and then maybe a filter again.

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by helix » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:41 pm

[/quote]
Please, are you mean it could be better a midi-to-cv module instead?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my band english.
[/quote]

I wouldn't clock from midi. It's also inherently unstable on many (including my own) system. Not only that but the midi clock due to your sound card latency, may be before or after the actual audio. Especially on a big project with lots of plugins doing auto delay compensation.

What i do, and do many others, is send an audio trigger (just a tiny sample of a square wave or so) and send it out the sound card, and into the modular. I send mine to a clcok divider and then the whole modular is clocked nicely in time. I also send a reset pulse out in the same way. This is cool too as you can lay a reset wherever you want

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 pm

+1 for the Teletype, tho it's costly compared to most of the suggestions.

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm

If you are already working with a DAW, just make a click track of a audio loop and you got a 100% sync right there, saved to your project. Use that same click as a master clock and divide and multiply that using tempi or Pam or whatever you have/get.

toumpouris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toumpouris » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 pm

I tried many midi to clock modules,they all have problems,unstable. I happen to have a 0 coast and clock my modular from it through midi, super solid.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”