Qu-Bit Bloom

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Qu-Bit Bloom

Post by gonkulator » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 am

dumbledog wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Is there a way to tamp down on the sequence's range when traveling down branches? Sometimes it octaves the same note multiple times and gets really jarring, especially with bass.
Yeah, I stopped using it because of this. It's still there, waiting for a solution.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:55 pm

hugo wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 pm
@versipellis: it may not be very clear from the manual but making any change to the original trunk re-creates all its branches.
Oh, and make sure you first lock the melody (shift + pattern for ~2 seconds) you created!
@hugo- Thanks for your input and suggestions! For locking the melody, does shift + pattern for ~2 seconds lock it or save it? Sorry not in the studio right now, but I thought that saved the pattern. Is there a difference?

Thanks!

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 pm

Is anyone else having the issue that even at minimum mutation, the pattern isn't locked? Even on 1 step, 1 branch, zero mutation, the 1-step pattern changes. Is there something I am missing?!

Strangely, the channel which is not selected will be locked. eg, if I am on blue, with everything zero, blue CV pitch will mutate slowly. If I select green, blue will lock, but green will mutate slowly (even with mutate, branches etc on zero). Same the other way too. Also tried zeroing things in global, same behaviour.

Also tried checking if it is getting enough power. I don't think that is the issue.

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Squarewave Fellowship wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 pm
Is anyone else having the issue that even at minimum mutation, the pattern isn't locked? Even on 1 step, 1 branch, zero mutation, the 1-step pattern changes. Is there something I am missing?!
This has been my experience, yes. I assumed it was how it is supposed to work. Mutate changes the original sequence which then causes branches to change as well. I would actually prefer if we could lock the main trunk sequence from any changes and just mutate branches only...

Edit: I misread, it looks like you're saying that the main trunk pattern gets mutated even when mutation knob is set at zero. This does not happen for me (unless of course i'm sending CV into the Mutate input).

The channel behavior you're noticing (the channel that isn't selected stays locked) seems like expected behavior. CV inputs should only affect the currently selected channel. However, in your case it sounds like you don't have any incoming CV?

WhiteCrystalWizard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WhiteCrystalWizard » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Strangely, the channel which is not selected will be locked. eg, if I am on blue, with everything zero, blue CV pitch will mutate slowly. If I select green, blue will lock, but green will mutate slowly (even with mutate, branches etc on zero). Same the other way too. Also tried zeroing things in global, same behaviour.

Also tried checking if it is getting enough power. I don't think that is the issue.
Remember that you may be looking at the knobs that were set before you changed channels, so make sure you adjust the knobs to what you want after you have changed channel

Yes it says in the manual that the settings are all saved for the channel when you switch channels, to allow it to remember it’s state between power downs..

Room07
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Room07 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:53 pm

I've been working with Bloom on and off for about a month now. I have mixed feelings overall but I'm hoping an update or two with smooth the experience out.

I'm having a problem at the moment where none of the knobs change pitch. Bloom only outputs a single pitch, regardless of what I do. Powered up the rack the other day and it was just like this. Anyone experience anything similar?

VirtualFlannel
1-Post Wiggler

Post by VirtualFlannel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:37 pm

Room07 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:53 pm
I've been working with Bloom on and off for about a month now. I have mixed feelings overall but I'm hoping an update or two with smooth the experience out.

I'm having a problem at the moment where none of the knobs change pitch. Bloom only outputs a single pitch, regardless of what I do. Powered up the rack the other day and it was just like this. Anyone experience anything similar?
Yes, this just happened to me as well. Let me know if you figure it out. I’ll post here if I hear back from Qu-Bit

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:26 pm

I shot them a DM on IG, but no reply yet. This is my first Qu-bit module, are they known for releasing firmware updates?

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:45 pm

versipellis wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:26 pm
I shot them a DM on IG, but no reply yet. This is my first Qu-bit module, are they known for releasing firmware updates?
Not particularly, but this is a factor of the loop Qu-Bit appear to be caught in. As it stands they probably need to start focusing on next year’s designs as soon as this year’s are out the door. Qu-Bit’s “it’s broken plz help” customer service is excellent, but I feel if they just s l o w e d d o w n a bit they could design and support products with a multi-annual sales cycle, not just modules which are released with clear beta testing deficits (testing by musicians, not engineers) and questionable documentation. These modules ultimately remain inscrutable, are sometimes abandoned by their initial users, and so the sales cycle effectively ends there. So, to keep the lights on, you need to design a new batch of modules. Repeat as necessary.

Maybe we could find a way of collating and organizing feedback on Bloom into a document. A group of users together might have some gravitas, whereas the one-offs are just support enquiries to be dispensed with. Bloom Users Group or B.U.G.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:18 am

That's really unfortunate. Literally the only thing that I dislike, no, hate about this module is that entering a shift-mode for adjusting something like per-step glide locks the sequencer rather than keeping it running. So much for live tweaking.

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:43 pm

versipellis wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:18 am
That's really unfortunate. Literally the only thing that I dislike, no, hate about this module is that entering a shift-mode for adjusting something like per-step glide locks the sequencer rather than keeping it running. So much for live tweaking.
Yes - that is insanity.

And I agree with the above. I feel Qu-Bit need to s l o w d o w n. Nebulae2 was released without its USP (of being able to save loops), the firmware with this feature took them ages, was buggy, and remains short of the potential of the device. The "alternative instruments" never really appeared in a usable form. And now it feels abandonned.

The Bloom seems a little unfinished, but again they are on to their next three modules so don't have time to give these modules the firmware they deserve - I think their ideas are great, the build is great, interface I like too.
Last edited by Squarewave Fellowship on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deKaro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deKaro » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:50 am

VirtualFlannel wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:37 pm
Room07 wrote:

Yes, this just happened to me as well. Let me know if you figure it out. I’ll post here if I hear back from Qu-Bit
Had the same issue with two Blooms. Both worked normally for a few hours, then apparently they played only Gates and no pitch CV. I sent the first Bloom back to the shop where I bought it as "broken" because it could not be fixed. Then I got an exchange that worked for a few hours but then suddenly it had the same error. I already thought that I am not the only one with this kind of issue. I liked Bloom very much but as soon as the problem is fixed, with a new firmware or revision, I will buy it again, but under these circumstances I would rather not.
i̫͚̬͎̻͗̉

R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:40 am

I seem to be having the same issue, where the pitch outputs stop working, without any reason...

Quite a bummer, but glad it happens under waranty (4 months after purchase).

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Hmmm, I've been following this thread with interest because I really wanted Bloom when it came out. Suffice to say, after what I've read my interest has cooled to near arctic levels.

mattcolville
Common Wiggler

Post by mattcolville » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:42 pm

I’ve had that, I think I’ve fixed it by fiddling the mutation knob sway from 0, then back to 0.

I think when you boot up the module it sets the mutate button to something close to, but not, zero.

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:36 pm

deKaro wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:50 am
VirtualFlannel wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:37 pm
Room07 wrote:

Had the same issue with two Blooms. Both worked normally for a few hours, then apparently they played only Gates and no pitch CV. I sent the first Bloom back to the shop where I bought it as "broken" because it could not be fixed. Then I got an exchange that worked for a few hours but then suddenly it had the same error. I already thought that I am not the only one with this kind of issue. I liked Bloom very much but as soon as the problem is fixed, with a new firmware or revision, I will buy it again, but under these circumstances I would rather not.
Yes I had this. Replacement working though.
Last edited by Squarewave Fellowship on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:43 pm

mattcolville wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:42 pm

I’ve had that, I think I’ve fixed it by fiddling the mutation knob sway from 0, then back to 0.

I think when you boot up the module it sets the mutate button to something close to, but not, zero.
Didn't help with mine. It was presumably an input-detect problem - as someone above stated, if the mutate is zero when not on that channel (as happened with mine), it suggests the input is falsely detecting CV.

Whatever the issue, I think Qu-Bit should make it that mutate never affects the trunk sequence (or, maybe it only changes the trunk when beyond midday or something). I like the idea of mutation, but not of over-writing the human-written foundation (the trunk sequence). Also, the octave thing. That needs fixing.

I really really want it to work. If it was reliable, and had these things firmwared in, it'd be so so good.

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:58 am

nikmettez wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:40 am
I seem to be having the same issue, where the pitch outputs stop working, without any reason...

Quite a bummer, but glad it happens under waranty (4 months after purchase).
I contacted qubit through their website and did a firmware reload which fixed it for me.

Even though there are a few minor issues (that i'm sure will get solved in the future), this is an amazing module!
I use it in every patch session since getting it.

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 am

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:43 pm
Whatever the issue, I think Qu-Bit should make it that mutate never affects the trunk sequence (or, maybe it only changes the trunk when beyond midday or something). I like the idea of mutation, but not of over-writing the human-written foundation (the trunk sequence). Also, the octave thing. That needs fixing.
I agree wholeheartedly with this!! Unfortunately it seems like the Qu-Bit folks are stretched really thin.

drewgle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drewgle » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:29 pm

Room07 wrote:

I've had a similar issue, but only with a couple of the knobs. Did you ever hear anything on solving this?

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 am

drewgle wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:29 pm
Room07 wrote:

I've had a similar issue, but only with a couple of the knobs. Did you ever hear anything on solving this?
Mine got fixed after reloading the firmware. Try contacting them here: https://www.qubitelectronix.com/contact

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:31 am

nikmettez wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 am
drewgle wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:29 pm
Room07 wrote:

Mine got fixed after reloading the firmware. Try contacting them here: https://www.qubitelectronix.com/contact
Same.

Their support was excellent and my module functioned perfectly after the update.

I super-love it as a melody mill as I cannot write my own melodies due to ignorance and inability.

Qu-Bit Electronix
Common Wiggler

Post by Qu-Bit Electronix » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Hello all!

We have a Bloom firmware update which features stability improvements, UI tweaks, and a revamped calibration mode.

You can download it on our site here:
https://www.qubitelectronix.com/officia ... e-releases

If you recently received new firmware through our support email, you don't need to install this firmware.

dulla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dulla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Did anyone get their pitch issues fixed? My pitch cv for the step encoders, root knob, and root cv input have stopped working. Additionally the octaves knobs during calibration don't change either. This happened all of a sudden when I turned the unit on and off again. I noticed I had a cable plugged into the root cv when power cycling.

The latest firmware did not work for me, so I am really hoping someone with a similar issue can give me some guidance, as I really like this unit.

deKaro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deKaro » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm

Had the same Issue. Which Revision do you have? Revision 2?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
i̫͚̬͎̻͗̉

R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

Return to “Eurorack Modules”