Qu-Bit Bloom

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dulla
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Qu-Bit Bloom

Post by dulla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:24 pm

deKaro wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm
Had the same Issue. Which Revision do you have? Revision 2?
Yes, exact same one. Rev2.

deKaro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deKaro » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm

I assume faulty hardware parts on the previous batch (Rev 2), because the update did not help and here the cases pile up. I asked QB via email why there is suddenly a new revision, there was unfortunately no answer to this exact question. Just "We have finalized a new firmware that addresses all the issues we have encountered since release and will be releasing it this week."
What remains are presumptions :hmm:
I would contact Qu-Bit and ask for a free exchange. Usually they respond very quickly and you're not the only one with this issue, but revision 3 shouldn't cause any more trouble. At least I take a look at the situation here before getting another bloom. Bloom was great when it worked. :party:
R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

dulla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dulla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:39 pm

deKaro wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm
I assume faulty hardware parts on the previous batch (Rev 2), because the update did not help and here the cases pile up. I asked QB via email why there is suddenly a new revision, there was unfortunately no answer to this exact question. Just "We have finalized a new firmware that addresses all the issues we have encountered since release and will be releasing it this week."
I would contact Qu-Bit and ask for a free exchange. Usually they respond very quickly and you're not the only one with this issue, but revision 3 shouldn't cause any more trouble. At least I take a look at the situation here before getting another bloom. Bloom was great when it worked. :party:
Did you try the new revision?

deKaro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deKaro » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:44 am

dulla wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:39 pm
deKaro wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm
Did you try the new revision?
No, it was too stressful for me after having two defective modules with the same issue and having to send everything back and forth, and test it. I wanted to wait and see what the users say about it and if there others also having this problem. Lo and behold, I was not the only one. I will wait a few more months and take a closer look at the situation. Always wanting to be the first, with the latest modules is not always the smartest thing, I learned that. IMHO Developers should beta test their modules before they are releasing stuff. But in my other modular group on Facebook, the users have no problems with it. When I asked them to take a photo of the back, I saw that they had revision 3. That opened my eyes.
R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:30 am

Is there a better list of what UI updates were made?

Patch notes aren't even consistent. Firmware page:
New Features in v1.0.5

UI Tweaks

Stability Improvements

Revamped Calibration Mode
Changelog in the zip:
## v1.0.5

- Increased amount of CV clamping for stability.

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:24 pm

My no-pitch output issues were on a Rev 3. Firmware didn't help. Qu-bit's dealing with things was excellent.

I do have a working one now, fingers crossed, and I _do_ love this module. It is nice as a 2 channel straight sequencer, it is a great Turing machine (which can save its patterns), I love the built in clock div/mult per channel. It is clever.

The per-note-edit pause seems very strange - especially as the solution is already there in the interface: we already have note pitch on the fly, couldn't shift-click on slew or notes to toggle between slew and pitch being what the standard knob turn does?

Also on wish list: the ratchets (staying on a step for more than one clock beat) thing for me isn't as useful as dividing a step into multiple gates, but staying on clock.

Scott
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scott » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:43 am

Maybe it's me not doing something correctly, but if I literally construct a major scale — in let's say pattern 1 — I get C, D, E, F#, G, A, B, C. I've tried fine-tuning on the oscillators to no effect and have tried changes on Bloom to no effect.

For giggles, I programmed a minor scale and I got C D Eb F G A natural B flat C. Huh?

Granted I was just testing to see if the alleged scales are accurate and they are not or at least I can't make them correct. In the larger picture, probably doesn't matter as any music I play is not going to be done in an aural theory class, but still.....

Any suggestions aside from just ignoring it?

Thanks

I finally got Tune Mode to work properly and and now the scale is in tune.
Last edited by Scott on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:51 am

My solutions was to sell mine. :despair: I was able to make one good patch with it, and then I was never able to generate anything really musical with it. I love my Nebulae, but the Bloom just didn't work out for me.

Phil Frog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phil Frog » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:56 am

« My solutions was to sell mine. :despair: I was able to make one good patch with it, and then I was never able to generate anything really musical with it. »

Same here. I’m going to sell mine too, but what is the best alternative to it?

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:03 pm

Phil Frog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:56 am
« My solutions was to sell mine. :despair: I was able to make one good patch with it, and then I was never able to generate anything really musical with it. »

No idea.... but I'm getting along fine without it.

Phil Frog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phil Frog » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 pm

OK. I’ll sell it first and see if if I miss it!

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:05 pm

I went to update the firmware yesterday. I tried over 50 times (yes I did all the troubleshooting suggestions: different cables, different devices, check the volume, etc) nothing works. The closest I can get is making it 40 seconds into the update before I get the flashing red lights of despair and failure. What's even worse is now when I turn on my case, Bloom will not boot up at all. Nothing. If I hold the reset button when I turn on the case, I can get it to go into the mode waiting for the update but that's it. So now it won't update and it won't work.

I've reached out to Qu-Bit but I haven't heard back anything. Just frustrated right now.

Scott
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scott » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:31 pm

I had to turn my audio source up as loud as it would go before it finally accepted the upgrade. This is why I'm always hesitant to update ANY firmware.

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:13 pm

kbowman016 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:05 pm
I went to update the firmware yesterday. I tried over 50 times (yes I did all the troubleshooting suggestions: different cables, different devices, check the volume, etc) nothing works. The closest I can get is making it 40 seconds into the update before I get the flashing red lights of despair and failure. What's even worse is now when I turn on my case, Bloom will not boot up at all. Nothing. If I hold the reset button when I turn on the case, I can get it to go into the mode waiting for the update but that's it. So now it won't update and it won't work.

I've reached out to Qu-Bit but I haven't heard back anything. Just frustrated right now.
I feel your pain. I didn't quite do 50 tries, but certainly more than 10. Just had to blast it in and pray. binary audio code firmware updates are shite, they are so unreliable. (Having said that, my experience with Mutable's audio firmware has been good - for me, works first time (touch wood). Having the "ideal gain" LED feedback on MI modules is great - with others, including Qubit, you are sat there going "too quiet? too loud? too what? arg")

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Phil Frog wrote:

A couple of Turing Machines? MI Marbles?

The concept of the branches in Bloom I'm not sure should have been the focus. OK, mutation of the original sequence is interesting, but the multiple paths? Nobody cares - esp enough to CV it to like all 128 paths!! Isn't that too similar to pure random? I feel it would have been better to focus on just having one path, with very fine control over how it mutates - spread, up/down bias, dropping notes bias, going off-key bias. Yes, a lot like Marbles I suppose, but with Marbles you have no control over the original sequence, dropping notes controllably can tie up a couple of modules, and it can't loop back after a nice long progression.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:27 pm

Squarewave Fellowship wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:27 pm
Phil Frog wrote:

A couple of Turing Machines? MI Marbles?

The concept of the branches in Bloom I'm not sure should have been the focus. OK, mutation of the original sequence is interesting, but the multiple paths? Nobody cares - esp enough to CV it to like all 128 paths!! Isn't that too similar to pure random? I feel it would have been better to focus on just having one path, with very fine control over how it mutates - spread, up/down bias, dropping notes bias, going off-key bias. Yes, a lot like Marbles I suppose, but with Marbles you have no control over the original sequence, dropping notes controllably can tie up a couple of modules, and it can't loop back after a nice long progression.
I'm in the same boat as you. The idea behind it was kinda cool, but right now, I need to stick it into another quantizer just to make the range of notes workable.

wackdaddy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wackdaddy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:57 pm

kbowman016 wrote:

I'm in the same boat... I tried this a million times to no avail...

Are we talking line level or modular level? :hmm:

P.S. I finally signed up... no more lurking anonoumously in the dark web of Wigglers! :nana:

Scott
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scott » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30 pm

For what it's worth, and in this group, my post probably isn't worth a tinker's damn. But, maybe it will help another dumbass newbie like me.

My Bloom wasn't working well at all. Too many issues to list here. So, I tried something I didn't think would work. I remember it seeming to work with other non-modular electrical gadgets. I figured what the hell, let's try it.

I removed Bloom from my rack and let it lie on a desk electricity-free for about sixteen hours. This afternoon, I returned it to the rack and it works like it's brand new.

Thanks and goodbye.

wackdaddy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wackdaddy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm

wackdaddy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:57 pm
kbowman016 wrote:

I'm in the same boat... I tried this a million times to no avail...

Are we talking line level or modular level? :hmm:

P.S. I finally signed up... no more lurking anonoumously in the dark web of Wigglers! :nana:
Update: Was able to get the firmware update by running it from my Mac into my stereo and then into the bloom. :sb:
Tried doing it through my modular Befaco Inamp but the levels were too high.
Thing is the Bloom is still not putting out any CV. Have sent an email to QuBit, still waiting to hear back.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am

dumbledog wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Is there a way to tamp down on the sequence's range when traveling down branches? Sometimes it octaves the same note multiple times and gets really jarring, especially with bass.
So I spent some time yesterday thinking of a way to overcome this, and think I found a solution with Joranalogue's Compare 2, a so-called "dual-window comparator."

The Comparator can output a gate signal when the pitch CV is within a certain window (say, 0V to 1.2V), and then ANDs this with Bloom's Gate output. The result is a gate that only fires when the pitch is within the range you specified. This gate goes to your envelope, and a copy is sent to trigger a sample and hold, which is fed a copy of the pitch signal.

The result is your sequence only fires when the notes are within your range. When it's too high you won't have a note. Adds a nice variation to the rhythm as well as keeping the pitch to sane values.

wackdaddy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wackdaddy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Update on CV issue:
Unit was not putting out CV via either A/B channel. After reading some threads, I was initially concerned that this might be a hardware issue that had to be sent in/exchanged but it ended up being super easy.

Got answer from tech support at Qubit and they walked me through the CV recalibration and now things are back to being good.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 am

dumbledog wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am
dumbledog wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Is there a way to tamp down on the sequence's range when traveling down branches? Sometimes it octaves the same note multiple times and gets really jarring, especially with bass.
So I spent some time yesterday thinking of a way to overcome this, and think I found a solution with Joranalogue's Compare 2, a so-called "dual-window comparator."

The Comparator can output a gate signal when the pitch CV is within a certain window (say, 0V to 1.2V), and then ANDs this with Bloom's Gate output. The result is a gate that only fires when the pitch is within the range you specified. This gate goes to your envelope, and a copy is sent to trigger a sample and hold, which is fed a copy of the pitch signal.

The result is your sequence only fires when the notes are within your range. When it's too high you won't have a note. Adds a nice variation to the rhythm as well as keeping the pitch to sane values.
This is clever! What's the s&h used for?

tetsutestu
Common Wiggler

Post by tetsutestu » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 pm

@wackdaddy
Hi! Could you possible the post the instructions that Qu-Bit support gave you? My Bloom just stopped outputting CV as well....

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:06 pm

versipellis wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 am
This is clever! What's the s&h used for?
The S&H is there to send the pitch to the oscillator only if the gate from Compare 2 is high. If it isn't high then the pitch remains the same -- the oscillator essentially ignores the pitch from Bloom.

tetsutestu
Common Wiggler

Post by tetsutestu » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Re: No CV output on Bloom

I'm having a serious issue with Bloom that I've seen mentioned above. Suddenly, after powering on my case, both CV outputs on Bloom stopped working. The module seems to be going through sequences normally (although the clock and rate control is also not working) but nothing is being output from the CV outs.
I've messaged Qu-Bit, but I haven't heard from them so far. My module was recently purchased new, so the warranty still holds, but aside from simply getting a replacement, is there anything else I can do to solve this issue?
Please reach out if you have some advice.
Thanks!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”