Qu-Bit Bloom

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Qu-Bit Bloom

Post by versipellis » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:01 am

dumbledog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:06 pm
versipellis wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 am
This is clever! What's the s&h used for?
The S&H is there to send the pitch to the oscillator only if the gate from Compare 2 is high. If it isn't high then the pitch remains the same -- the oscillator essentially ignores the pitch from Bloom.
Again, very creative - thanks. If I could give you a cookie for that, I would!

taemoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by taemoo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:21 am

I'm having a weird issue with my Bloom: when I press the channel button, both outputs change octaves. So when I'm on channel one and change to channel two, both sequences jump an octave. Resetting or updating the firmware didn't help. Anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Turned out to be a faulty calibration, sorted out with Qu-Bit support now. Great module!

tetsutestu
Common Wiggler

Post by tetsutestu » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 am

tetsutestu wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Re: No CV output on Bloom

I'm having a serious issue with Bloom that I've seen mentioned above. Suddenly, after powering on my case, both CV outputs on Bloom stopped working. The module seems to be going through sequences normally (although the clock and rate control is also not working) but nothing is being output from the CV outs.
I've messaged Qu-Bit, but I haven't heard from them so far. My module was recently purchased new, so the warranty still holds, but aside from simply getting a replacement, is there anything else I can do to solve this issue?
Please reach out if you have some advice.
Thanks!
All right! So with Qu-Bit support I fixed the issue.
The short answer is that you have to - if you haven't already - flash the latest firmware and then re-calibrate the module. The calibration instructions are in the manual, but I'll write them out here for quick access:

If you updated to the most recent firmware then all you need to do now is reset your values to the factory defaults, or recalibrate the unit.
Here are the instructions:
You can do this by entering calibration mode(hold channel while booting the module) and click the Ratchet and Note encoders to reset each channel to their default values.
Then, before leaving calibration mode you will need to calibrate the Root CV input.
You can do this using the Bloom channel outputs.
Patch the Bloom channel 1 output into the Root CV input. (you can patch channel 2 into the v/oct of an oscillator to give you an audible indication of the voltage/octave you will be sending.)
Now turn the Div/Mult encoder all the way down/CCW to get to 0V. Then turn the same encoder up one click/CW to get 1V. Press reset to store 1V.
Next, turn the Div/Mult encoder up 2 more clicks/CW to get 3V. Press reset to store 3V.
Now press Reset 2 more times to save the settings and exit calibration mode.

Done!

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:07 pm

I'm having a really hard time getting the Bloom to reset cleanly, does anyone know the 'ideal' reset shape/voltage Bloom wants? Also what's the best clock speed to send Bloom.

Treibstoff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Treibstoff » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Hey! I have my Bloom the very first day and i like what i get out of it so far. I have one question about the scales. When i adjust all steps to the far counterclockwise value and the scale is chromatic ( the first one) i get the note C# ?? from all of my sequencers i know that the first note should be a C not an C#, or am i wrong? when i change the scale to major i get the C.. can somebody help me because calibration dont change anything, same with factory Reset ( shift+length during boot)

Thanks!

bhenry1790
Common Wiggler

Post by bhenry1790 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 am

subLimb wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:07 pm
I'm having a really hard time getting the Bloom to reset cleanly, does anyone know the 'ideal' reset shape/voltage Bloom wants? Also what's the best clock speed to send Bloom.
I've had better luck sending gates to the clock & reset inputs on Bloom. Each gate into the clock input advances Bloom by one step. I mostly use Pam's New Workout with a (x1) to the clock input and a (/4 or /16) to the reset input. Bloom works well with the longer pulses coming from PNW

bhenry1790
Common Wiggler

Post by bhenry1790 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:49 am

DUPLICATE POST
Last edited by bhenry1790 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:53 pm

bhenry1790 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 am
subLimb wrote:
I've had better luck sending gates to the clock & reset inputs on Bloom. Each gate into the clock input advances Bloom by one step. I mostly use Pam's New Workout with a (x1) to the clock input and a (/4 or /16) to the reset input. Bloom works well with the longer pulses coming from PNW
THANK YOU! 1x gates was a lot more reliable!

bhenry1790
Common Wiggler

Post by bhenry1790 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:18 pm

subLimb wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:53 pm
bhenry1790 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 am
subLimb wrote:
THANK YOU! 1x gates was a lot more reliable!
CHEERS! Yea, I ran into the same issue. Everything works as expected with gates.

Cpaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cpaf » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:39 am

Hi all!

Anyone with experience with René and Grids in comparison to the Bloom?

I really like the non-destructive branch-variation that Bloom can do. Are there any other modules that can do something similar?

E.g. Marbles is awesome but you can't put in your own pattern (you might have in your head) and work from there.

Or is something like Eloquencer an option compared to Bloom (I know they have vast differences, so asking specifically about the variation from a user setmplayed pattern).

Cheers!

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:26 am

I have no experience with bloom, i wanted it a few weeks back but i see a that some people suffer with unwanted things so i did not buy it yet. I have eloquencer as my main sequencer and for patterns programmed by yourself it works very well, when i jam and have 8 patterns which are pre programmed, you can alter every pattern on the fly, you can mangle, change running order, randomize, i even think you can lower or raise scale's, even per step. you can do a lot with it so its easy to forget about the possibilities.
It took me several months to get my head around it, but thats because i dont have a lot of time in a day to play around i guess. Now i build songs using 8 or more different patterns so it gives me enough variaton.

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 am

Cpaf wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:39 am
Hi all!

I really like the non-destructive branch-variation that Bloom can do. Are there any other modules that can do something similar?

E.g. Marbles is awesome but you can't put in your own pattern (you might have in your head) and work from there.

Or is something like Eloquencer an option compared to Bloom (I know they have vast differences, so asking specifically about the variation from a user setmplayed pattern).

Cheers!
I think you can do this with Squarp Hermod. Not 100% sure because I don't own one, but i know you can add midi fx (Quantize, Random, ...) to a user created sequence.

Cpaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cpaf » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am

nikmettez wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 am
Cpaf wrote:
Hi all!

Cheers!
I think you can do this with Squarp Hermod. Not 100% sure because I don't own one, but i know you can add midi fx (Quantize, Random, ...) to a user created sequence.
Ill check it out Thanks!

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:49 am

Cpaf wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am
nikmettez wrote:
Cpaf wrote:
Hi all!

Cheers!
Ill check it out Thanks!
Hermod's interface is.. pretty menu divey.

Cpaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cpaf » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 pm

versipellis wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:49 am
Cpaf wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am
nikmettez wrote:
Cpaf wrote:
Hi all!

Cheers!
Ill check it out Thanks!
Hermod's interface is.. pretty menu divey.
Yeah i dont think it is what im looking for.

For now one of the best choices seem to be five12 Vector with its randomization, subsequences and evolve features

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 am

I dunno, even the five12 looks fairly complex, from a menu-press standpoint. If anything, I'd go for the Frap Tools one that came out, looks a little more.. easy to do generative.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:08 pm

So, I'm giving up on Qu-bit making this practical to play live. It's out of the secondary rack and now up on reverb. It's such a damned shame because I really loved the concept, but marketing it as friendly for live playing and that not actually being the reality is just unfortunate.

iamsoops
Learning to Wiggle

Post by iamsoops » Fri May 15, 2020 7:28 am

versipellis wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:08 pm
So, I'm giving up on Qu-bit making this practical to play live. It's out of the secondary rack and now up on reverb. It's such a damned shame because I really loved the concept, but marketing it as friendly for live playing and that not actually being the reality is just unfortunate.
What was the main issue versipellis?

Could you not get enough control of the sound or is the it just not reliable enough hardware?

I am considering a bloom to add to my small rack (I'm a newbie) and Bloom was my first choice of sequencer until recently. Now I am not sure espoecially considering the price tag

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun May 17, 2020 5:31 pm

iamsoops wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:28 am
versipellis wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:08 pm
What was the main issue versipellis?

Could you not get enough control of the sound or is the it just not reliable enough hardware?

I am considering a bloom to add to my small rack (I'm a newbie) and Bloom was my first choice of sequencer until recently. Now I am not sure espoecially considering the price tag
Both are fine. The one feature that was a dealbreaker to me, that was completely not obvious, was that to edit any per-step secondary functions (i.e. gate length), it put the whole sequencer into "pause". This means that you can't edit gate length for a single step while its running, you have to edit gate length for all steps. This applies to everything that required a shift-click into the secondary page to edit.

It's a great module (and frankly, I'm damned sad that this seems like such a basic, huge, oversight for Qubit to have missed) - if you're working in the studio, or if you can afford to briefly pause a sequence while working on it, then it's not a biggie. But I almost exclusively play live sets that I can't afford to stop a sequence partway to make edits - the sequencer /always/ has to be running for me.

My Bloom's still for sale, FWIW, happy to see if we can reach a deal at a price that works for you if that isn't a limitation for you.. I'm desperately trying to clear out modules I don't use before I move >.<

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Sun May 17, 2020 5:53 pm

@iamsoops, I think the live play issue is that changing per step slew pauses the sequencer. Also does this with notes, but only as the secondary method of input - I find it useful to have note changes while playing as the default, and note changes while paused for longer sequences. For me the slew thing it isn't the end of the world, but I can see how it would be for some.

As a two-channel straight-32-step-sequencer and turing machine, it is a space-saving gem.

As a concept - I feel they got too fixated with the branches thing, when it makes more sense musically to have one "branch" with lots of fine control. CVing the path, branch number, mutation, is essentially pointless - and that is all the CV inputs! And rate for that matter. CVing rate on a sequencer is not exactly an essential patch point, imo.

What would I like CVd instead? Step probability, slew, step slice, octave, quantiser key, things like that. I know I know, can be done with other modules, but with these multi-purpose panels like we are used to these days, I want those functions in one module.

iamsoops
Learning to Wiggle

Post by iamsoops » Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 am

@versipellis - Thats a really helpful post, thank you. I hadnt realise the impact of changing on the fly. I can see how that is bit of a showstopper for live performance. Overall I think I am going to wait on the bloom until stores open again and see if I can demo one somewhere. If I change my mind and decide to buy one on a whim though (which is entirely possible) I will let you know!

@squarewave fellowship - I havent really looked into the turin machine as a newby so will have a look at that as I carry on my research. Not sure I am ready to have a go at a DIY myself yet but assiming I will find some out there that are ready made.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue May 19, 2020 3:39 pm

No problem :)

Instead of a Turing Machine, look into getting a Disting or o_C instead. Their shift registers can internally generate CVs from a turing machine, which, imo, defeats the point of a turing machine module.

Rosa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rosa » Wed May 20, 2020 11:17 am

nikmettez wrote:
Cpaf wrote:
Hi all!

Cheers!
I had both. What I liked about Bloom was the ability to create sequences generatively. But in the end I sold it again because I liked my usual way of working and a few concepts of Rene2 better (for example switching special notes on and off). Some of the generative ideas of Bloom can be recreated in Rene2. You could create different versions of the same sequence, transpose it and change the direction, or change the octave range

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Tue May 26, 2020 5:49 pm

tetsutestu wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Re: No CV output on Bloom

I'm having a serious issue with Bloom that I've seen mentioned above. Suddenly, after powering on my case, both CV outputs on Bloom stopped working. The module seems to be going through sequences normally (although the clock and rate control is also not working) but nothing is being output from the CV outs.
I've messaged Qu-Bit, but I haven't heard from them so far. My module was recently purchased new, so the warranty still holds, but aside from simply getting a replacement, is there anything else I can do to solve this issue?
Please reach out if you have some advice.
Thanks!
This happened to me, too. If you update the firmware the problem should be fixed. I think there are instructions on the QuBit site.

THAT SAID

I do not understand how to calibrate the module post-firmware-update because I am slow and would appreciate a video detailing the steps.

yobink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yobink » Wed May 27, 2020 8:51 am

I struggled with the post update calibration as well, and these are the instructions I got from Qu-Bit support, which worked for me (FWIW):

You do not need to run the entire calibration.

1. Once you have updated you can do just the last part of the calibration written in bold first. (enter calibration mode then click the Ratchet and Note encoder)
This will reset to the default calibration values.

2. While still in calibration mode you will now need to recalibrate the Root CV input. This can be done without any external devices using just the Blooms channel outputs.
Patch channel 1 output into Root CV input. You could patch channel 2 output into v/oct on an oscillator for audio confirmation of what voltage you're sending.

Turn the div/mult encoder all the way down/CCW to get 0 volts, then turn one click to the right/CW for one volt and hit Reset to store the 1V.
Then turn the div/mult encoder 2 more clicks to the right to get 3V and hit Reset again to store the 3V.

3. Hold Channel and hit Shift to exit calibration mode and save the settings.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”