Qu-Bit Bloom

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Qu-Bit Bloom

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 pm

hey, Thanks much for the run-down. I'll give it another shot!

EDIT: I gave it another shot and it worked. Third or fourth time's the charm I guess. Great module.

Pharmgrinder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pharmgrinder » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:50 pm

So I got a Bloom just a few days ago. It is version 3 and it is a new one. Everything seems to be working fine except one weird issue. The knob that is used to adjust the quantizer scale is not functioning properly. It works fine for adjusting the scale. However when I enter note edit mode that knob will not adjust the pitch of the corresponding sequence step, it will only adjust gate length. It's like the knob is stuck in the clicked in position.

I love what the module can do. Thing is even if it can be fixed, I don't think I want to deal with a module that is just generally wonky. Seems a lot of people are having problems that require firmware updates and recalibration. This would be a super pain in the neck going forward on a continuous basis. Thinking I should just return it. Whadaya all say?

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 am

On my end, I didn't have any actual problems with the module, nor did I need to recalibrate it. It was just missing a critical feature.

Keep it if you don't need to perform live, RMA/replace it if it's malfunctioning, return it otherwise - that's my vote.

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:28 pm

versipellis wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 am
Keep it if you don't need to perform live, RMA/replace it if it's malfunctioning, return it otherwise - that's my vote.
I’m going to try one last thing for a little while (which may or may not be suitable for you, that being to restrict myself to no more than 8 steps) but, yeah, in general I’m right there with you. This module is not fully baked, as much as I wish it were.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:28 pm
versipellis wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 am
I’m going to try one last thing for a little while (which may or may not be suitable for you, that being to restrict myself to no more than 8 steps) but, yeah, in general I’m right there with you. This module is not fully baked, as much as I wish it were.
I never used mine for more than 8 steps :)

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:18 am

versipellis wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm
I never used mine for more than 8 steps :)
Oof.

I figure it’s my last hope, my last-ditch attempt to salvage it. We’ll see.

If nothing else it’ll have provided a valuable reminder of some other things about my personal sequencer preferences, for example: If there are more steps (and/or tracks) than physical controls, I want visual feedback, whether a graphical display or otherwise. And if those controls are pots they really should be encoders.

At least it hasn’t been an overly expensive experiment.

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:00 pm

wackdaddy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm
Update: Was able to get the firmware update by running it from my Mac into my stereo and then into the bloom. :sb:
Tried doing it through my modular Befaco Inamp but the levels were too high.
Thanks for this. I was going crazy trying to update the firmware. After reading this, I got it to work by running it through my Apogee Duet & blasting it out of the headphone socket!

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:04 pm

dumbledog wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Is there a way to tamp down on the sequence's range when traveling down branches? Sometimes it octaves the same note multiple times and gets really jarring, especially with bass.
Yes this. It should be possible to restrict the octave range, without it, the number of possible branches is limited because it just strays into unlistenable territory.

Also ratchets, please Qu-Bit can they be ratchets, not note repeats!?!

Scott
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm

tetsutestu wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 am
tetsutestu wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Re: No CV output on Bloom

I'm having a serious issue with Bloom that I've seen mentioned above. Suddenly, after powering on my case, both CV outputs on Bloom stopped working. The module seems to be going through sequences normally (although the clock and rate control is also not working) but nothing is being output from the CV outs.
I've messaged Qu-Bit, but I haven't heard from them so far. My module was recently purchased new, so the warranty still holds, but aside from simply getting a replacement, is there anything else I can do to solve this issue?
Please reach out if you have some advice.
Thanks!
All right! So with Qu-Bit support I fixed the issue.
The short answer is that you have to - if you haven't already - flash the latest firmware and then re-calibrate the module. The calibration instructions are in the manual, but I'll write them out here for quick access:

If you updated to the most recent firmware then all you need to do now is reset your values to the factory defaults, or recalibrate the unit.
Here are the instructions:
You can do this by entering calibration mode(hold channel while booting the module) and click the Ratchet and Note encoders to reset each channel to their default values.
Then, before leaving calibration mode you will need to calibrate the Root CV input.
You can do this using the Bloom channel outputs.
Patch the Bloom channel 1 output into the Root CV input. (you can patch channel 2 into the v/oct of an oscillator to give you an audible indication of the voltage/octave you will be sending.)
Now turn the Div/Mult encoder all the way down/CCW to get to 0V. Then turn the same encoder up one click/CW to get 1V. Press reset to store 1V.
Next, turn the Div/Mult encoder up 2 more clicks/CW to get 3V. Press reset to store 3V.
Now press Reset 2 more times to save the settings and exit calibration mode.

I'm preparing to up date to 1.0.6. Thanks for the calibration notes. I looked at the manual online and see no changes or none that are noticeable on quick glance through. What, if any, changes/improvements are in the newest firmware?

Done!

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Root & scales explained.

As the manual is not very forthcoming, I have done a little experimentation to figure out how root/scales actually work & thought that I would share here in case it is helpful.

Root is not actually the root note of the scale. This is important to understand.To demonstrate:

Set Root knob all the way CCW
Set Scale to major
Set a length of 8 notes
Tune your oscillator to C
Turn knobs to create an ascending C Major scale
Play the sequence & check your notes with a tuner
= It plays C Major scale

Now turn the Root knob to set the 'root' note to D
= It plays C Major scale starting at D

Try this with other notes/scales to confirm.

So, in a nutshell, the Root knob transposes the sequence but within the original key.

So if you want a D Major scale:
Set Scale to major
Tune your oscillator to D

So if you want an A minor scale:
Set Scale to minor
Tune your oscillator to A

Hope this is helpful.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 am

virtualpt wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:18 pm
Root & scales explained.

As the manual is not very forthcoming, I have done a little experimentation to figure out how root/scales actually work & thought that I would share here in case it is helpful.

Root is not actually the root note of the scale. This is important to understand.To demonstrate:

Set Scale to major
Set a length of 8 notes
= It plays C Major scale

So, in a nutshell, the Root knob transposes the sequence but within the original key.

Set Scale to major

Set Scale to minor

Hope this is helpful.
This.. Explains a lot of the confusion I had using mine. Essentially, they want you to tune your oscillator or use a quantizer, jesus. That's.. One half arsed implementation.

Scott
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:40 am

versipellis wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 am
virtualpt wrote:
Root & scales explained.

Set Scale to major
Set a length of 8 notes
= It plays C Major scale

Set Scale to major

Set Scale to minor

Hope this is helpful.
This.. Explains a lot of the confusion I had using mine. Essentially, they want you to tune your oscillator or use a quantizer, jesus. That's.. One half arsed implementation.
Answers questions it does!

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm

versipellis wrote:
virtualpt wrote:
Root & scales explained.

Set Scale to major
Set a length of 8 notes
= It plays C Major scale

Set Scale to major

Set Scale to minor

Hope this is helpful.
Yes, it's a shame because it could be so good. I've decided to get rid of it. With ratchets not being ratchets, root note not being root note, no way to restrict octave limit on branches, it's just not what it should be :(

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm
With ratchets not being ratchets, root note not being root note, no way to restrict octave limit on branches, it's just not what it should be :(
Just wait until more people notice on a scope (or with their ears, because I’ve also had it bad enough that it crosses semitone boundaries) that the voltage being output (NB for clarity: from pre-existing steps!) can change depending on which channel you’re currently editing. Imagine every voltage being spit out by a channel output biased 0.07 or 0.09 volts higher or lower depending on whether you’re switched to that channel. Yeah, it’s pretty much as annoying as you’d imagine.

So much potential. So very many missteps.
Last edited by mvdirty on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:33 pm

versipellis wrote:
virtualpt wrote:
Root & scales explained.

Set Scale to major
Set a length of 8 notes
= It plays C Major scale

Set Scale to major

Set Scale to minor

Hope this is helpful.
Isn't this the same basic way that Marbles works? You tune key by tuning your oscillator. I've got a few major gripes about this module for sure but this one was never one of them (though it would be cool to be able to change key on the module). Also thought it was clearly explained in the manual, but I could definitely be wrong about that...

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 am

It was definitely not clear for me. I steer away from "tune your oscillator" sequencers like the plague because I don't usually have a tuner when I'm gigging, so you can be sure that I missed that on both manual readthroughs and video walkthroughs.

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

versipellis wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 am
It was definitely not clear for me. I steer away from "tune your oscillator" sequencers like the plague because I don't usually have a tuner when I'm gigging, so you can be sure that I missed that on both manual readthroughs and video walkthroughs.
That and if you want to switch sequences between oscillators during performance you’re basically out of luck unless they are also similarly sequenced and tuned.

Are we eventually going to bottom out on the discovery of problems with this module? Or do they somehow go on forever?

At this point, I can’t even bring myself to sell this to someone as it simply wouldn’t be fair to someone unaware, and trying to make them aware of everything before or during purchase would be nuts.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 am

Sorry if I'm not understanding the thread, but what sequencer tunes your VCO's? Surely its normal to have them set to a common pitch first?

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:22 pm

Southfork wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 am
Sorry if I'm not understanding the thread, but what sequencer tunes your VCO's? Surely its normal to have them set to a common pitch first?
Of course you need to tune your oscillator first, but then I would expect it to work like Intellijel Scales does. So that when I change the root of the scale from C to D it would transpose the scale to D Major, not play a C Major scale starting in D (which I think makes it some weird mode like Dorian or Locrian).

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:49 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:22 pm
Southfork wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 am
Of course you need to tune your oscillator first, but then I would expect it to work like Intellijel Scales does. So that when I change the root of the scale from C to D it would transpose the scale to D Major, not play a C Major scale starting in D (which I think makes it some weird mode like Dorian or Locrian).
ah gotcha!

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

Are we eventually going to bottom out on the discovery of problems with this module? Or do they somehow go on forever?

At this point, I can’t even bring myself to sell this to someone as it simply wouldn’t be fair to someone unaware, and trying to make them aware of everything before or during purchase would be nuts.
Uh, yeah, that has held me back from selling, but also some hope that Qbit will fix things.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 pm

gonkulator wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 pm
mvdirty wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

Uh, yeah, that has held me back from selling, but also some hope that Qbit will fix things.
Luckily, I was able to return mine for a refund.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”