Qu-Bit Bloom

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:50 pm

How are gates handled? Read the manual, saw no mention of turning gates off, for instance.

Qu-Bit Electronix
Common Wiggler

Post by Qu-Bit Electronix » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:45 pm

Questions answered:

- Per step note values are not indicated on the LEDs, but the root offset is. However, the note encoders are detented, providing tactile feedback for each new value change.

- The Bloom can quantize external CV if you send it to the root input. This input tracks v/oct and will offset whichever note you're on diatonically according to your selected scale.

- Each step's gate output can be turned on or off by pressing the associated step encoder. You can also edit the pulse width of each step by pressing and turning the step encoder.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:37 pm

Qu-Bit Electronix wrote:The Bloom can quantize external CV if you send it to the root input. This input tracks v/oct and will offset whichever note you're on diatonically according to your selected scale.
Awesome :sb: Thanks for the info!

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

Are there any planned in-depth video walkthroughs?

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am

Zymos wrote: To me, "ratchet" means subdividing a step. Their use of the term is what I think of as "repeat"- per the manual, if you set ratchet to 8, it plays that step 8 times then moves to the next step.
Yes, what they call "ratchet" is merely repeating a note at the clock rate. It doesn't repeat the notes per step. Backwards to my understanding of ratchet.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

boxofsparklers
1-Post Wiggler

Post by boxofsparklers » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:07 am

gonkulator wrote:
Zymos wrote: To me, "ratchet" means subdividing a step. Their use of the term is what I think of as "repeat"- per the manual, if you set ratchet to 8, it plays that step 8 times then moves to the next step.
Yes, what they call "ratchet" is merely repeating a note at the clock rate. It doesn't repeat the notes per step. Backwards to my understanding of ratchet.
Since there are two channels with separate clock divisions/multiplications (I think, haven't actually had time to try it yet, and the manual is... not the best I've seen) they can be ratchets in one channel in relation to the other channel. It's not clock multiplications per step, but still!

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 am

Has anybody received theirs yet?

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 am

Mine is supposed to arrive Monday

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:Has anybody received theirs yet?
I have had mine since Monday
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:48 am

gonkulator wrote:
What are your thoughts so far?

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:12 pm

yellowecho wrote:What are your thoughts so far?
So far, pretty much what I expected. The UI is impenetrable without carefully reading the manual. So many multi-button actions with the LEDs meaning different things depending on the status of those multi-button presses. This is not a module that you can just plug in and use right away. There is a significant learning curve.

However, I am committed to that learning curve because I love the idea of this module and because I have a pretty high opinion of the Qu-Bit guys. That being said, a significant learning curve is usually a big turn-off for me.

In general, I feel like a good UI is self-explanatory.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:39 pm

gonkulator wrote:
Did you order direct or from a dealer?

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Nevermind, shipping notification went to my spam folder.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:58 pm

MARK27 wrote:So many multi-button actions with the LEDs meaning different things depending on the status of those multi-button presses. This is not a module that you can just plug in and use right away. There is a significant learning curve.
Ugh, very disappointing. I don't care for multi-button presses and non-intuitive interfaces.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:16 am

yellowecho wrote:
gonkulator wrote:
What are your thoughts so far?
You can use it right away, just not to its full potential. All I did when I first got it was to connect Out 1 to an oscillator, and started turning knobs and pushing knobs. (The eight knobs on the left also act as push buttons.) Like Mark27 said, there is a learning curve, mostly for understanding how to activate the functions on the left side (with the shift button,) what they do, and what all the LEDs are indicating. In its normal (non shift) mode, the left eight knobs adjust the note and gate on/off for each of the eight steps. Once you have programed a sequence (or just reset it to one of the seven included scales) the real variety comes from the Path, Branches, and Mutation knobs. Path and Branches route the basic step sequence, AKA, "trunk" of the tree to any of a large number of variations, branches determining how many additional sequence variations there are, and Path determining where in this "tree" they go, for example, left, left, left, or left right, right, or right, left, left, etc. You could also liken it to a set of railroad tracks with a switch at every branch junction. At every junction another variation occurs. The color of the LEDs change to indicate what branch (including the trunk) is currently playing. At present, the adjacent branch colors blend into each other, meaning as each branch switches to the next branch, the color changes subtly. I think it would be better if each adjacent branch had a more contrasting color, but I am still thinking on that.

The manual, while I appreciate that there is one, could be a lot more clear. It is also a bit incomplete, as Qu-Bit indicated on the gate activation technique above, though fiddling around I discovered that.

The encoders on the left are a bit closer together than I like.

I don't think there is a way to program steps with the clock turned off, but I am happy to be corrected.

I hope they add more scales, otherwise I will likely use it almost always in unquantized mode and run it to a quantizer.

This thing is a lot of fun. I think creating long specific sequences will be tedious, but there is so much variety in even basic sequences that I haven't felt the need to do that yet.
Nutritional Zero wrote:Did you order direct or from a dealer?
I ordered from Qu-Bit, the same day they said they were available.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:45 am

Relax everyone. Everything's labeled and the manual makes clear that nearly everything can be done by rotating a knob, holding the shift button while rotating a knob, clicking a knob or shift-clicking a knob. No, wait, looks like there's also a knob press-rotate. Once you have those combinations memorized everything will be just fine. Despite the endless shift-rotate knob clicking it's good clean fun.

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:43 pm

I ordered mine the day it was released. I have it and it's racked up but I have yet to really explore it. Mainly I am waiting for a walkthrough video. The manual is confusing to me and generally just patching to see what happens not the best way that my brain is wired to learn. I have a few Qu-Bit modules and I love their stuff and I am sure I will dig this as well.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm

ckwjr wrote:Relax everyone. Everything's labeled and the manual makes clear that nearly everything can be done by rotating a knob, holding the shift button while rotating a knob, clicking a knob or shift-clicking a knob. No, wait, looks like there's also a knob press-rotate. Once you have those combinations memorized everything will be just fine. Despite the endless shift-rotate knob clicking it's good clean fun.
And that is all good when your system consists of 10 or 12 modules. With larger systems you just want stuff to work like it looks like it should and understand its status at a glance, without having to find and reread the manual.

When you have >100 modules, just "memorizing those simple combinations" for a bunch of different modules becomes a pain in the ass.

I'm stoked for the Bloom and look forward to understanding it better, but it's really irritating having someone tell you to relax when you happen to state your preferences for module design. I'm not upset, nor am I complaining. I knew what this was when I was getting into it.

I worked as a software developer for 20 years and believe me: everything is simple when you zoom in to just that one little piece of the puzzle. Once the puzzle gets big, you really learn to appreciate having the little things a) not be overly complicated and b) understood at a glance. When you have to go back and read a manual at every step, the process slows way down.

This is just as true for synthesizers with lots of components as it is for software with lots of components (or anything with lots of components).

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 pm

To me, I just don't understand why more marketing materials, such as walkthrough videos and a well-produced manual maybe with starter patches examples aren't produced in advance and released before or at the launch. I get it that some of these module companies are smaller, but if you are making a product, then I would think you would want to do everything possible to ensure its success.

I love Qu-Bit modules and I can't wait to really use Bloom and their FB feed mentioned a video coming soon.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:57 pm

MARK27 wrote:
ckwjr wrote:Relax everyone. Everything's labeled and the manual makes clear that nearly everything can be done by rotating a knob, holding the shift button while rotating a knob, clicking a knob or shift-clicking a knob. No, wait, looks like there's also a knob press-rotate. Once you have those combinations memorized everything will be just fine. Despite the endless shift-rotate knob clicking it's good clean fun.
And that is all good when your system consists of 10 or 12 modules. With larger systems you just want stuff to work like it looks like it should and understand its status at a glance, without having to find and reread the manual.

When you have >100 modules, just "memorizing those simple combinations" for a bunch of different modules becomes a pain in the ass.

I'm stoked for the Bloom and look forward to understanding it better, but it's really irritating having someone tell you to relax when you happen to state your preferences for module design. I'm not upset, nor am I complaining. I knew what this was when I was getting into it.

I worked as a software developer for 20 years and believe me: everything is simple when you zoom in to just that one little piece of the puzzle. Once the puzzle gets big, you really learn to appreciate having the little things a) not be overly complicated and b) understood at a glance. When you have to go back and read a manual at every step, the process slows way down.

This is just as true for synthesizers with lots of components as it is for software with lots of components (or anything with lots of components).
It's hard to tell in a post, but I was being sarcastic. It's a big pain in the ass to try to keep all those things straight, but I think it ends up being similar to using a Varigate or Voltage block, though with much different results. The variation is splendid. I worked through most of it through trial and error, but spent 2 hours just trying to get comfortable. It could be so much more user friendly.

That said, the more comfortable I'm getting, the more I like it.

deKaro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deKaro » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Yayyy! I received my Bloom today after months of waiting...

It worked very well at the beginning. Then, apparently I (maybe) pressed a wrong "Shift" combination? Now it plays only Gates, but no pitch CV anymore.
I hope I have not accidentally put it in Calibration mode and then stored it not properly calibrated. Because I have no reliable method of calibrating.
The calibration mode is unfortunately very easy to select. Of course, I can't rule out a user error (If its not an faulty module), but I've been tried everything for hours now without success.
Too bad, because the half hour where I could use it was wonderful and very intuitive, but now it is a complaint case. :waah:

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm

kbowman016 wrote:I get it that some of these module companies are smaller
Yes, and smaller companies focus on designing, engineering, and producing modules. They have to. Creating videos, manuals, etc. is the biggest “hidden cost” in modular which people think comes for free... Actually it adds to the price of the module.

I’ve stated many times that I’m willing to pay more for a module that’s well-documented, but quite frankly I’m not sure that sentiment is shared by everyone. It’s also true your business needs to reach a state where you can afford to have a Walker Farrell (or whoever wrote the Mannequins technical maps, or the new Instruo manuals) on staff...

Fair play. I put Qu-Bit in the realm of “reasonably adequate” documentation, but I also think that given the scope and complexity of the modules, more could be done than the Word docs.

If Qu-Bit had a dedicated forum (not here), I think this would be a good first step.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Check out the 4ms SWN- there are tons of dual function buttons, but both primary and secondary functions are labelled on the panel. Such a simple thing, but makes a huge difference in usability.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm

ckwjr wrote:It's hard to tell in a post, but I was being sarcastic.
You were? Oh man, maybe I do need to relax! Mah bad!
ckwjr wrote:It's a big pain in the ass to try to keep all those things straight, but I think it ends up being similar to using a Varigate or Voltage block
See, it's funny you mention those. So many people love those two modules, but I have always shied away because of the UI. I know they are really powerful, but I decided I would rather have the same functionality spread among a rack of other components.
ckwjr wrote:The variation is splendid. I worked through most of it through trial and error, but spent 2 hours just trying to get comfortable. It could be so much more user friendly.

That said, the more comfortable I'm getting, the more I like it.
I also spent a couple of hours with it and thoroughly enjoyed the results, but I know I will enjoy them more when I get comfortable enough to not refer to the manual. I am definitely looking forward to exploring it more.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm

This module is so much fun. Once I made the comparison to a Varigate 4+ in my head it all became a lot easier to work with. My analogy is that you create a basic Varigateesque 2 channel sequence, then you turn up the variation dials and the machine lights a solid fuel rocket booster under your sequence and launches it into the stratosphere. Depending on how you set the dials it will either go into orbit and you'll never see it again, or it will eventually fall back to earth. Hope that clears it up. It's really great.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”