Qu-Bit Bloom

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:
kbowman016 wrote:I get it that some of these module companies are smaller
Yes, and smaller companies focus on designing, engineering, and producing modules. They have to. Creating videos, manuals, etc. is the biggest “hidden cost” in modular which people think comes for free... Actually it adds to the price of the module.
I agree but that is where a good product plan comes in. They are a fairly successful company with a number of modules under their belt. It seems that they should have implemented a "phase 2" growth plan where investing in some proper marketing tactics, would yield a greater return on a new module's product launch.

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Bloom may actually be a module that can't easily be demonstrated by a video tutorial. There are a limited number of settings, but once you've set a few parameters it's difficult to explain what the module is doing as it cycles through its transpositions, inversions, reversals and mutations.

The manual really explains it pretty much as well as it can be explained.

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 pm

ckwjr wrote:Bloom may actually be a module that can't easily be demonstrated by a video tutorial. There are a limited number of settings, but once you've set a few parameters it's difficult to explain what the module is doing as it cycles through its transpositions, inversions, reversals and mutations.

I hear you but I guess I am an idiot because I've read the manual a few times and have no clear understanding of where to even start.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 pm

ckwjr wrote:Bloom may actually be a module that can't easily be demonstrated by a video tutorial. There are a limited number of settings, but once you've set a few parameters it's difficult to explain what the module is doing as it cycles through its transpositions, inversions, reversals and mutations.

I disagree on both issues. For example, the Stillson Hammer 2 benefitted greatly from hours of video. It's just a matter commitment of time and effort. And the manual is unclear on several points, and would benefit greatly from more effort. Even a well designed cheatsheet would help a lot. Despite all that, I really like it. It is functionally basically what I was hoping for when it was announced. I like the other stuff of theirs that I own as well.

And I fully understand the costs involved in manuals, etc., and the fact that oftentimes it requires paying a third party or relying on a committed fan. In any case, a well designed manual or video, etc., is much better than an inadequate one. And I agree that even with all that effort, many users won't fully appreciate the cost and effort. But I do.
Last edited by gonkulator on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 pm

No you're right. I think the manual could use a section like "here's a sample procedure to get started."

1. Select a channel (channel button)
2. Select a scale (shift button + scale knob)
3. Set the length of the pattern (shift button + length knob)
4. Plug the channel out into a VCO v/o input, then the vco out to an audio out without a gate so you can listen to the sequence pitch
5. Shift click the notes knob then use the knobs to set the pitch of each step
6. Shift click the notes knob to exit note input
7. Repeat steps 2-6 for the other channel
8. Hook up the gates to envelopes etc.
9. Turn up the rate knob or input a clock and get going!
10. Set slew/pattern direction/time divisions, multiplications etc.
11. Start playing with the branch, path, modulation and root controls for variation

_RFJ
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _RFJ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Hey guys, first post here, potentially noob question. Just started getting into modular and ordered bloom to be the master sequencer for my small rack. When I turn the system on I do not get any visual feedback from bloom whatsoever. It has an i trnal clock per the manual so I’m assuming it should just be running per that. Anyway, no lights, nothing. I twist and push the knobs on the interface hoping it’ll wake up and nothing. Yes, it’s plugged in, red stripe on the unit side and rack side is in the correct position. Do I have a dead unit or am I missing something here?

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:20 pm

sounds like a dead unit. Before you do anything else you should get blue lights for one channel, green lights for the other - or maybe you don't have enough power available for the bloom?

_RFJ
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _RFJ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm

ckwjr wrote:sounds like a dead unit. Before you do anything else you should get blue lights for one channel, green lights for the other - or maybe you don't have enough power available for the bloom?
Thanks for the reply. Pretty sure I have enough power. My rack is a tiptop mantis and it’s only approx half full. I also get the same behavior when it’s the only module plugged into the rack. Yeah, no blue lights, green lights or anything. Sounds like it’s oddly. DOA.

:waah:

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:10 am

ckwjr wrote:No you're right. I think the manual could use a section like "here's a sample procedure to get started."

1. Select a channel (channel button)
2. Select a scale (shift button + scale knob)
3. Set the length of the pattern (shift button + length knob)
4. Plug the channel out into a VCO v/o input, then the vco out to an audio out without a gate so you can listen to the sequence pitch
5. Shift click the notes knob then use the knobs to set the pitch of each step
6. Shift click the notes knob to exit note input
7. Repeat steps 2-6 for the other channel
8. Hook up the gates to envelopes etc.
9. Turn up the rate knob or input a clock and get going!
10. Set slew/pattern direction/time divisions, multiplications etc.
11. Start playing with the branch, path, modulation and root controls for variation
Going to follow this today! Thanks for posting this! Hopefully, it will help clear a few things up for me!

deKaro
Common Wiggler

Deleted

Post by deKaro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:55 am

Deleted

brianobush
Common Wiggler

Post by brianobush » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:28 am

I can't get MI Marbles out of my head when thinking about Bloom. Other than dual-channel, what are the main points that distinguish the two?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:10 am

brianobush wrote:I can't get MI Marbles out of my head when thinking about Bloom. Other than dual-channel, what are the main points that distinguish the two?
Marbles is a general purpose elaborated random source with a Turing Machine-esque shift register-like buffer.

Bloom is a dual channel 32-step pitch and gate sequencer that derives ephemeral variations on melodic patterns. To the extent Bloom employs probability, it’s specifically in service to melody (transposition, inversion, reversal). In contrast to step sequencers where individual steps may have probabilistic behaviors (e.g., Eloquencer), Bloom treats the entire sequence as a whole.

Similar? Different? You decide.

Here’s a meandering demo:

[video][/video]

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:31 am

brianobush wrote:I can't get MI Marbles out of my head when thinking about Bloom. Other than dual-channel, what are the main points that distinguish the two?
Very different beasts, whilst you may get similar behaviours from both, they go about their roles very differently. Marbles is a random source at the end of the day albeit with clever quantising and value offsetting/masking capabilities. Bloom is very much a sequencer

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

rests?

Post by muddy ranks » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Looking into Bloom. Is there a way to introduce more rests into the sequences Bloom generates?

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:50 am

I'm sorta trying to understand how the path knob works in more detail. The manual states that if it's left of middle, it goes down the left path whenever it reaches a branch, and vice versa for right of middle.

Does that mean that without CV plugged in, if it's left, it will /always/ take the left path when presented a choice, and vice versa for right?

Additionally, if you have a 4-step sequence, and the branch is set to 2, does that mean that you'll have a 12-step sequence (4 trunk + 2*4 branch) before the sequence resets (if nothing else changes)?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, Fusion Mixer v3, Qu-bit Prism, Intellijel uMIDI 1U, Raging Bull 3.0, NE Zularic Repetitor]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:31 am

I think that's right: 12-steps on one path, 12-steps on the other path. You can only cv control the path/branches of the selected channel, so if you were running a 2-channel sequence you'd have to flip between channels to change paths.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:09 am

What's the point of such a wide range on the pot, then? That.. seems silly LOL
selling [Prologue 16, Fusion Mixer v3, Qu-bit Prism, Intellijel uMIDI 1U, Raging Bull 3.0, NE Zularic Repetitor]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:46 am

Totally overlooked this thing .. might bite now (with my non-existent cash hoards).

F U Ricky Tinez :hihi:

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:03 am

versipellis wrote:What's the point of such a wide range on the pot, then? That.. seems silly LOL
Adding branches adds the number of paths, with a range from the leftmost path to the rightmost path.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:17 am

Right now my "sequencer" consists of Marbles and Argos Bleak and works ok if I want to do purely generative sequences but hasn't been great for feeding Marbles a sequence and having it riff off of what it's been given. Bloom is really looking like what I've been after on this setup but that it only outputs 2 gate channels means I might have to pick up a Steppy as well.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 am

ckwjr wrote:
versipellis wrote:What's the point of such a wide range on the pot, then? That.. seems silly LOL
Adding branches adds the number of paths, with a range from the leftmost path to the rightmost path.
Ah, let me understand this properly then:

If you have one branch:
Left of 12 o'clock: 1L
Right of 12 o'clock: 1R

If you have 2 branches:
Left of 12 o'clock: 1L2L 1L2R
Right of 12 oc'lock: 1R2L 1R2L

3:
Left of 12: 1L2L3L 1L2L3R 1L2R3L 1L2R3R
Right of 12: 2L2L3L 2L2L3R 2L2R3L 2L2R3R

Something like that?

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:07 am

yes! I mean: I think so? LEDs are indicating an increasing number of options for the path knob as you add branches.

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:13 am

Anyone order directly from Qu-Bit? Wondering how long they take to ship and if they really have any units in stock (I ordered Wednesday).

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi, just received my Bloom and installed it. When I turn it on all I get is all of the lights light up solid white and no apparent activity going on...is this normal when turning on the first time?

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:09 pm

I've added a picture of the behavior referenced above. All lights solid white. Module seems to output gates, react to certain knob twists audibly, but no visual feedback from the lights. Tried factory reset and calibration mode...anyone have any thoughts on this?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”