Qu-Bit Bloom

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:57 pm

versipellis wrote:I don't seem to recall this happening before, but entering the per-note editor for any of the functions (e.g. Slew, note time) appear to stop the sequencer. Does that happen for anyone else?
So er, Qubit, is there any way to (by firmware or something) keep the sequencer running when you're in a shift-editor mode? It's kinda silly that I can't change the slew on one step without stopping the whole sequence on both channels, and instead have to change the slew on everything. The current way its set up doesn't lend itself to live performance, and I've wrestled with it for 2 gigs already. This is the only thing that's holding me back now.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

subLimb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by subLimb » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:55 pm

versipellis wrote:
versipellis wrote:I don't seem to recall this happening before, but entering the per-note editor for any of the functions (e.g. Slew, note time) appear to stop the sequencer. Does that happen for anyone else?
So er, Qubit, is there any way to (by firmware or something) keep the sequencer running when you're in a shift-editor mode? It's kinda silly that I can't change the slew on one step without stopping the whole sequence on both channels, and instead have to change the slew on everything. The current way its set up doesn't lend itself to live performance, and I've wrestled with it for 2 gigs already. This is the only thing that's holding me back now.
I have this question as well...you can loop the current page when you're in per-step mode (press channel), but you can't have the entire sequence play while in that mode - it just pauses the sequence. Doesn't seem ideal.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:59 am

subLimb wrote:
versipellis wrote:
I have this question as well...you can loop the current page when you're in per-step mode (press channel), but you can't have the entire sequence play while in that mode - it just pauses the sequence. Doesn't seem ideal.
It also stops the moment you enter that page. And no matter how fast you hit the channel button to loop the page, you'll be off sync. I'll even settle for it auto looping the page when you enter it..
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

Jericho
Common Wiggler

Post by Jericho » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Does Bloom need a steady clock or does the seqence progress with each trigger?

Scott
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scott » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:25 pm

I don't know if this is the correct answer, but yes that's happened to me and I tried pushing the encoder a second time and it "corrected" the issue.

Scott
Learning to Wiggle

more Bloom questions

Post by Scott » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:37 pm

As has already been stated, the manual isn't clear on some things. While I await answers to questions from Bloom tech support, I thought I would ask these of the brain trust here at Muffwiggler.

I'm reading through the manual again and under slew (page 16) the terms "Tune Modes" is used for the first time. I can't find any other reference to it prior to Page 16. What is Tune Modes? Does it refer to any operation that involves Shift and an Encoder? It's mentioned obliquely several times after Page 16.

Also, the global settings mode in which you may change the settings. Not that I want to but for future reference, if one turns the knob associated with the parameter to be adjusted CCW, it will decrease the effect? CW would increase the parameter? Any clarification on this will be greatly appreciated.

And someone here said that Qu-Bit posted a how to video. I've been on the website and haven't found it. There are four videos produced by different reviewers which are relatively simplistic in nature. Where's the how to?

Many thanks.

Destinova
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Destinova » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Jericho wrote:Does Bloom need a steady clock or does the seqence progress with each trigger?
The sequence progresses with each trigger.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Root CV input is “1V to +5V added to pot position.” So, with no CV at the input, what is the knob position that represents 0V?

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:Root CV input is “1V to +5V added to pot position.” So, with no CV at the input, what is the knob position that represents 0V?
From what I can tell, all the way counter clockwise.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Qu-Bit Bloom

Post by versipellis » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:41 am

Anyone have tips on having mutate or branches generate more usable and "musical" melodies? Seem to be struggling with mine - sometimes my initial 4-note steps will generate a nice melody, but other times it comes out crap :|

hugo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hugo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 pm

@versipellis: it may not be very clear from the manual but making any change to the original trunk re-creates all its branches.
So, a good tip to generate more musical melodies is to... try again and turn any knob until something works (turing machine like, basically).

Also, did you make sure you selected a scale? Oh, and make sure you first lock the melody (shift + pattern for ~2 seconds) you created!

A first patch that I liked with the Bloom is to use the second channel as a modifier for the first one.
Basically, you set it to a low clock division and feed the root input with it. Then you slowly evolve its mutations. Pretty cool!

If you guys need more opinions: I struggled with the Bloom for approximately 2 days before really digging it. I think it comes from the fact that it's at the crossroad of several ways to create melodies. I was first puzzled by the fact that setting mutation > 0 not only creates melodies but *writes* your current trunk. I thought it was a bug at first, because the module invites you to actually write your sequences. But the more I use it, the more I like it.

The only thing I don't get about the module is why the rate input can't be used while using an external clock, when it could be used as a divider/multiplier. I sent an email to Qu-bit so maybe they will consider it 👍

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Got a Bloom about a month ago. Had to return it because of a small issue and finally got the replacement today. Really struggling with the manual, though I’m able to do fun jams very quickly, I just haven’t wrapped my head around this thing at all! Hopefully, I’ll keep learning a little every time, but it sure seems like a lot of button combos to memorize...you know, the exact opposite kinda thing that made me want to get into eurorack in the first place :)

mattcolville
Common Wiggler

Post by mattcolville » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Edit: I retract my question, I figured out what I was doing wrong.

mutate
Common Wiggler

Post by mutate » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:12 pm

hugo wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 pm
The only thing I don't get about the module is why the rate input can't be used while using an external clock, when it could be used as a divider/multiplier. I sent an email to Qu-bit so maybe they will consider it 👍
hold down shift and turn the div/mult knob.

The biggest issue I'm having is the reset input is not working. I hope they update the firmware to fix this. This could be a deal breaker for me.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to remove.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

mutate
Common Wiggler

Post by mutate » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:21 pm

mutate wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:12 pm
hugo wrote:

The biggest issue I'm having is the reset input is not working. I hope they update the firmware to fix this. This could be a deal breaker for me.
Seems like the div/mult knob is messing this up. Plus resetting on the next pulse puts it a step behind. Ugh. wish I could change this to reset on first pulse like all of my other sequencers.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to remove.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:11 am

mutate wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:21 pm
mutate wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:12 pm
hugo wrote:

Seems like the div/mult knob is messing this up. Plus resetting on the next pulse puts it a step behind. Ugh. wish I could change this to reset on first pulse like all of my other sequencers.
Can confirm reset is triggering late. Have tried with a number of sources. First time I noticed was with the reset output of the intellijel 1uMIDI, which has never given me issues before.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Is there a way to tamp down on the sequence's range when traveling down branches? Sometimes it octaves the same note multiple times and gets really jarring, especially with bass.

mandaronja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mandaronja » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi there! Just got my Bloom, and something weird is happening. The note knobs seem to work 'in reverse' when I am programming pitches - as I turn the knobs clockwise, the note goes lower, and vice versa. This is happening only with the pitch - other knob functions seem to work normal regarding direction. Also, I can't go beyond 1 octave range, which seems pretty strange and annoyingly constraining, and I have seen people go beyond that range in demo videos (White Noises' "Strange sequencing with Bloom" video for example).
Did any of you have issues like this or know what could be the problem?

Thanks

mandaronja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mandaronja » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:27 am

mandaronja wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 pm
Hi there! Just got my Bloom, and something weird is happening. The note knobs seem to work 'in reverse' when I am programming pitches - as I turn the knobs clockwise, the note goes lower, and vice versa. This is happening only with the pitch - other knob functions seem to work normal regarding direction. Also, I can't go beyond 1 octave range, which seems pretty strange and annoyingly constraining, and I have seen people go beyond that range in demo videos (White Noises' "Strange sequencing with Bloom" video for example).
Did any of you have issues like this or know what could be the problem?

Thanks
update: solved! It looks like it wasn't getting enough power. I removed a couple of cables for the time being and it seems to work fine now! happy tweaking.

BlendedAliases
1-Post Wiggler

Post by BlendedAliases » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 am

dumbledog wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Is there a way to tamp down on the sequence's range when traveling down branches? Sometimes it octaves the same note multiple times and gets really jarring, especially with bass.
This module biggest downside, I'm quite surprised there is no more complains about this !
Even if I hope some firmware update would fix that someday I'm currently considering resell mine because of this

Scott
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scott » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 am

This may not be the place to put this, but, how do you feel about Bloom? Do you like it? Do you feel like you're getting your monies?

My jury is still deliberating. I like it and I dislike it. I'm spending a lot of time studying it, watching videos, re-reading what there is to read in the manual. Monday, for the first time, I saw a video using two Octones. I wish I had seen that before I bought the Bloom.

So, your thoughts — no arguments with each other, please.

I'll keep working with it and see what happens.

Thanks.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:13 am

It's... complicated.

The concept is absolutely fantastic, and I have been able to pull some great Berlin-type sequences out of it. But it's definitely not without flaws that mar the experience. Doesn't look like Qu-Bit browses MW anymore but I feel a few tweaks to the firmware would really make it shine:
  • Make the v/Oct output modulo two octaves, or optionally one -- that is, it wraps around if it strays more than 1-2 octaves from the same step in the trunk sequence. This would keep it from going nuts on bass patches.
  • Ratcheting doesn't work, as stated. If I recall correctly it instead lengthens the sequence, throwing things out of sync. Fixing the ratchet would be okay, but what I'd really like to see is a way to loop each branch a certain number of times before going to the next subsequence. For example, instead of trunk-left, trunk-left it would play TTTTLLLLTTTTLLLL. Let the brain settle on a pattern for a bit before the next variation. Especially good for longer sequences or branch lengths where it becomes hard to distinguish a long loop from randomness.
  • Related to the last point, what if it cold be set to where it just traverse the binary tree by itself? Starft by playing say TLLL one or more times, then by itself switches to TLLR, TLRL, TLRR etc. Damn thing could just play itself for hours like that.

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:14 am

@dumbledog

this is so true and such a good idea that I would like to ask you, if you could get in touch with Qu-bit directly to get this done !

The bloom from its idea is a great tool, but it get sometimes "out of hand" - it should be possible to tame the variations not onl by scale, but also by minimum/maximum voltage (note)

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am

Where does Qubit look these days? I tried contacting them on IG to no avail either.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”