SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
mafouka
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Location: CA

Post by mafouka » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:18 pm

How would y'all categorize the Dipole's flavour in relation to it's filter forefathers?

To me it sounds super clean (based off the vids), at times kinda sizzly like an MS-20… sorta liquidy like a Roland Jupiter.

Thoughts?
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

User avatar
tebs213
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by tebs213 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:29 pm

mafouka wrote:How would y'all categorize the Dipole's flavour in relation to it's filter forefathers?

To me it sounds super clean (based off the vids), at times kinda sizzly like an MS-20… sorta liquidy like a Roland Jupiter.

Thoughts?
It can sound super clean, or you can boost the saturation going in and get pretty aggressive. It has so many CV inputs and possible filter response combinations that though audio rate modulation and feedback there's an insane diversity of sonic character.

I got it right before I moved across the country, and ended up falling in love with pinging it, so I feel like I still have a ton of exploring to do. I'm finally setup with my new studio space, I'll see if I can do some demoes this week. I feel like with most of SSF's modules, it rewards experimentation. Having such a hi-fi analog platform creates a great canvas for sound design a huge diversity of tonal possiblities with thoughtful patching.

User avatar
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 9686
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by matttech » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:11 pm

got these in stock by the way, in case anyone's on the hunt? :party:

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Location: CA

Post by mafouka » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Is it possible to fade between lp / hp on the Dipole in stereo mode (like a DJ filter)?
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

User avatar
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:43 am

mafouka wrote:Is it possible to fade between lp / hp on the Dipole in stereo mode (like a DJ filter)?
If you are referring to variable width Band pass and Notch in stereo, the answer is yes.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Location: CA

Post by mafouka » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
mafouka wrote:Is it possible to fade between lp / hp on the Dipole in stereo mode (like a DJ filter)?
If you are referring to variable width Band pass and Notch in stereo, the answer is yes.
Variable Width Bandpass
Set POLE output to HP and DIPOLE output to LP. SERIAL routing.
With SPREAD set to center position or above, you now have a variable width BP filter.
Control the HP set point and overall frequency with the respective channel FREQ control.
Control bandwidth with SPREAD (at or above center position.)
Variable Width Notch
Same as above, but change Dipole routing to PARALLEL.
Image
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

User avatar
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:42 pm

mafouka wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:
mafouka wrote:Is it possible to fade between lp / hp on the Dipole in stereo mode (like a DJ filter)?
If you are referring to variable width Band pass and Notch in stereo, the answer is yes.
Variable Width Bandpass
Set POLE output to HP and DIPOLE output to LP. SERIAL routing.
With SPREAD set to center position or above, you now have a variable width BP filter.
Control the HP set point and overall frequency with the respective channel FREQ control.
Control bandwidth with SPREAD (at or above center position.)
Variable Width Notch
Same as above, but change Dipole routing to PARALLEL.
Image
YEP :sb:

User avatar
benrecords
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm
Location: London

Post by benrecords » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:18 pm

:yay:

This looks like the next filter for me, no doubt at all.

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6784
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Post by MindMachine » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:27 pm

benrecords wrote::yay:

This looks like the next filter for me, no doubt at all.

... your avatar! My favorite band.

:guinness:

This is a great filter. I hope they sell a ton.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:30 am

with wmd running black panels now and autodyne being black.... will we see the black treatment for the Dipole??

User avatar
Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:25 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:03 am

mafouka wrote: Image

Had the same reaction when I got to hear it in action at Analog Haven yesterday.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics


User avatar
klang
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 am
Location: Germany

Post by klang » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:58 am

can anyone comment on how the Stereo dipolar would fair against 2 x Xoac Belgrade ? sonic quality wise and also depth of use ?

User avatar
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by analogPedagog » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:14 am

damase wrote:with wmd running black panels now and autodyne being black.... will we see the black treatment for the Dipole??
YES:

Image

User avatar
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 9686
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by matttech » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am

looking sexy!

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:34 pm

I think this could be perfect for stereo sample filtering, among other things of course. Id love to get a hq sampling voice into the modular this winter. The variable bandpass setting in stereo should be perfect to get the samples into the mix. For sampling I decide until the Mordax GXN is ready, could be a dreamteam stereo granular voice. Id like to ping this filter with tiny granular stutters :-) :bananaguitar:

Besfar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Post by Besfar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 am

klang wrote:can anyone comment on how the Stereo dipolar would fair against 2 x Xoac Belgrade ? sonic quality wise and also depth of use ?
I wonder this too.

Actually i wonder how stereo dipole stacks up to belgrad for sonic mayhem/weirdness on one side, and filter8 for clarity/quality on the other. 6 hp difference, extra space is king 8-)

ckwjr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am

Post by ckwjr » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 am

How would this compare to the Rossum Linnaeus variable filter?

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:11 am

I dont think many people can answer those questions right now. The dipole and the rossum are quite new. The listing of the features is all over the internet.

You would need 4x filter8 to get the same functions as a dipole

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 8:49 am
Contact:

Post by johny_gtr » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:48 am

klang wrote:can anyone comment on how the Stereo dipolar would fair against 2 x Xoac Belgrade ? sonic quality wise and also depth of use ?
SD is quite clean even when drive pots are on 5 o'clock.
I use SD in my performance mixer for stereo effects. It's great especially on highly reverb'ed pads. I see SD more as stereo effect rather than a filter. As a bonus it provides very musical pings. For character and stereo I can recommend 2 VSL'74. Not so versatile but great filter with solid sound.
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Has someone personally compared the Stereo Dipole with the Gemini 2412?

User avatar
BlackDoors
Common Wiggler
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by BlackDoors » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:20 am

guigui wrote:Has someone personally compared the Stereo Dipole with the Gemini 2412?
Yes, quite a lot, although I don't have the Gemini any more.

I would say they are really rather different in sound. both are great, and there is some overlap (i.e. they are capable of behaving in a similar way in a number of cases, but not all).

Gemini is beautifully smooth and does not self resonate (unless you change the jumpers on the back). I didn't like the sound of the self-res option on the Gemini so turned that off pretty quick when I tried it. Gemini does have the ability to vary the filter mode continuously unlike dipole and this is very useful for mixing. Regrettably this mode variation function is not under voltage control (although I suppose there are workarounds, using external mixers or crossfaders). Perhaps the best 'drippy' little pings I ever heard (Divkid Ben's video shows these off).

Dipole is in general capable of being far more aggressive sounding if desired with lots of drive available inside the module and the possibility of two poles per channel all tracking V/O is a huge bonus. Also it's smaller (in HP terms). Nothing to do with the sound, but the super bright LEDs on my silver panel dipole are a little annoying, and it lacks the continuous filter mode variation of Gemini. With two poles per channel though, this is not much of a limitation. Love its sound overall, a little sizzle, and all kinds of pings are possible, all controlled by v/Oct. The spread tracks V/Oct too, so you can achieve 4 pitched peaks or pings at once, this is close to Res-4 territory (with some sonic and usability differences!).

Not taking anything away from Gemini, it's superb. But I have some other stuff with the sem-style filter approach handy and decided I wanted the space in the rack.

Ben Divkid's has done superb in depth videos for both, I would say watch them if you didn't already.

John

Besfar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Post by Besfar » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Ordered one.
I tried the qpas, but the resonance made it more of a special case.
Had belgrad, kind of miss it, but it was a bit too dirty to fit with the music i make.

Currently have filter 8 & ripples, which im happy with, so we`ll see if this kicks them out :)

Stereo Dipole sounds so sirupy, yum.


Can the SD make notches by reversing the resonance on the band pass?

User avatar
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by analogPedagog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 am

Besfar wrote:Ordered one.
I tried the qpas, but the resonance made it more of a special case.
Had belgrad, kind of miss it, but it was a bit too dirty to fit with the music i make.

Currently have filter 8 & ripples, which im happy with, so we`ll see if this kicks them out :)

Stereo Dipole sounds so sirupy, yum.


Can the SD make notches by reversing the resonance on the band pass?
SD can make variable width notch using the Dipole outputs and selecting HP/LP or LP/HP while in parallel mode

Besfar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Post by Besfar » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:07 pm

analogPedagog wrote: SD can make variable width notch using the Dipole outputs and selecting HP/LP or LP/HP while in parallel mode
Perfect!

Wow that got me salivating.

So you can have a lowpass + bandpass + a notch in one filter?
Never had that outside the computer before. Favorite setting for wavetables and reeses.

User avatar
wigwig
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:24 pm
Location: Sloeland

Post by wigwig » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:38 pm

versipellis wrote: - honestly, the quick start guide/manual you have already posted has great diagrams for how the voltages and knobs get summed.
I don’t see this on the website anywhere.
Has it been taken down?

Also wondering:
Is the text on the product page to be considered the ‘manual’?
It’s probably enough info, but if there’s more I’d love to see it. :party:
Mabel encounters a peahen.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”