SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 pm

wigwig wrote:
versipellis wrote: - honestly, the quick start guide/manual you have already posted has great diagrams for how the voltages and knobs get summed.
I don’t see this on the website anywhere.
Has it been taken down?

Also wondering:
Is the text on the product page to be considered the ‘manual’?
It’s probably enough info, but if there’s more I’d love to see it. :party:
Bottom of the product page - Quick Start/Cheatsheet

cincyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by cincyjack » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:06 pm

This thing is very flexible.
Pretty deep for a filter.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Thank you, Andrew.
I looked right past it.
Mabel encounters a peahen.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:33 am

Received it today.
Wow, what a great filter. It really does feel different than other filters.
I think this is my favorite resonance ever.

Only problem with this is, it sounds so good and is so complex, it really lends to noodling forever. Difficult to finish tracks when there are so many options.

Congratulations SSF/Andrew.
Another rabbit hole.
Savings, it was nice to know you shortly. :help:

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:05 am

alright, having finally demo'd one thoroughly I think this is a very nice filter. the only thing is those LEDs, what were yall thinking? especially the green. not sure I would want this to sit somewhere in my case where cables wouldn't hang over the headlights and diffuse some of that intensity.

maybe SSF could make some translucent but hazy stickers to put over the dipole LEDs, for the migraine-sensitive out there. like those slider cap condoms WMD makes. wiggle safely

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 am

autopoiesis wrote:alright, having finally demo'd one thoroughly I think this is a very nice filter. the only thing is those LEDs, what were yall thinking? especially the green. not sure I would want this to sit somewhere in my case where cables wouldn't hang over the headlights and diffuse some of that intensity.

maybe SSF could make some translucent but hazy stickers to put over the dipole LEDs, for the migraine-sensitive out there. like those slider cap condoms WMD makes. wiggle safely
Get a black one, the LEDs aren't exposed and covered, so they are much more muted.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:40 am

get the black panel? now you're officially confronting my obsessive-compulsive disorder :miley:

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:22 pm

I think there’s black dipoles out there already that you wouldn’t have to replace the panel on. Here’s a pic, see the led windows? I have the same thing on my ZPO and the LED is much more muted.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:28 pm

I have the black one, and the lights are lovely.
Dont known if white one is much brighter, but this is well within comfy lights.
They look modern, at most. Maybe my eyes arent as sensitive.
I had problems with the filter 8,but thats about it.

Now stop talking about the zpo, you know how lovely that would sit besides the dipole?
Very lovely is the answer.
But my case is full, no space, dont need it, shouldnt.
Need to make music not shop modules.
How many hp tho hmmm.
:boat:

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Fun little session pinging the Dipole in Stereo. FM'd by a Zero Point Oscillator and then fed into a Mimeophone.

[video][/video]

Hazza26
Common Wiggler

Post by Hazza26 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:41 am

Besfar wrote:Now stop talking about the zpo, you know how lovely that would sit besides the dipole?
Very lovely is the answer.
But my case is full, no space, dont need it, shouldnt.
Need to make music not shop modules.
How many hp tho hmmm.
:boat:
Sounds like your self-restraint went a lot better than mine.
:nana: :help:

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Hazza26 wrote: Sounds like your self-restraint went a lot better than mine.
:nana: :help:
Its an everyday struggle.
Did you get the zpo? :hyper:

Review of the SD after two weeks ownership: best filter ever.
Piston honda, hertz donut, dpo, shapeshifter. Through this filter its so wonderful.

Hazza26
Common Wiggler

Post by Hazza26 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:33 am

Besfar wrote:Its an everyday struggle.
Did you get the zpo? :hyper:
I did.. have had sights set on Dipole for a while but ZPO was a bit of an impulse purchase. Not had time to tinker yet, but they sure look pretty next to each other.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Dipole filtering my circuit bent R8... clipped the recorder a bit

[video][/video]

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Stereo Dipole as dual VCO

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:35 pm

[video][/video]

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Re: SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Post by LunaticSound » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Soooo, like I promised in the ZPO thread, after I was shocked by how good the ZPO is, I sold my body and soul to get the Dipole as well asap. Like any sane person would do.

I just had my first 20 minutes, and I have an issue:

EDIT: IT WAS MY FAULT, WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED!!! :zombie:
THIS WAS THE OLD POST:

A and B are quite far apart, when set to their lowest Freq. It's not really a problem, but it would still be nicer, if they were tuned to the same note, when turned all the way down. Is that the case for you as well? Could I recalibrate that?

AND NOW I FOUND OUT, THAT B WAS SET TO SERIAL PROCESSING. AFTER SWITCHING TO PARALLEL, A AND B WERE REASONABLY CLOSE, SO THAT JUST SOME TUNING BROUGHT THEM TO A UNISONO STATE. IT WOULD STILL BE NICE, TO CALIBRATE THEM TO THIS STATE GENERALLY, BUT MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE.
EDIT END.

BTW, I never had any trouble with bright LEDs so far, but the first thing I did, after recovering my eyesight, was putting some gaffer tape over the green laser beams. :D
I don't mind that, though, I don't care how my modular looks.

moonscience
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moonscience » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Just wanted to chime in, having spent a couple days with the Stereo Dipole. I absolutely love it. I had been going down the make noise route with Morphagene, Mimeophone and the Xpan, and was very close to pulling the trigger on the QPAS, but glad I took some time and read some reviews of this module. I guess I'll remain curious about the QPAS, but the Stereo Dipole is stupidly deep. It didn't take long before I had almost every output from Pam's feeding into it, and then at another point feeding three of its outputs back into itself! Great job SSF!

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:14 pm

I just installed my new filter and was surprised by the huge amount of clipping and noise. Is there something wrong with my module or am I missing something?

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:33 pm

The DRIVE knob increases input gain and can amplify noise or cause clipping; turn it all the way down for clean signal.

TheDannyGrant
1-Post Wiggler

Post by TheDannyGrant » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:02 am

Hi all. Just received mine and I’m in love with the sound. This one seems to have quite wiggly pots, a few of the shafts have a fair bit of give with some being worse than others. Is this consistent with other units? Cheers.

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:12 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:59 pm
Soooo, like I promised in the ZPO thread, after I was shocked by how good the ZPO is, I sold my body and soul to get the Dipole as well asap. Like any sane person would do.

I just had my first 20 minutes, and I have an issue:

EDIT: IT WAS MY FAULT, WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED!!! :zombie:
THIS WAS THE OLD POST:

A and B are quite far apart, when set to their lowest Freq. It's not really a problem, but it would still be nicer, if they were tuned to the same note, when turned all the way down. Is that the case for you as well? Could I recalibrate that?

AND NOW I FOUND OUT, THAT B WAS SET TO SERIAL PROCESSING. AFTER SWITCHING TO PARALLEL, A AND B WERE REASONABLY CLOSE, SO THAT JUST SOME TUNING BROUGHT THEM TO A UNISONO STATE. IT WOULD STILL BE NICE, TO CALIBRATE THEM TO THIS STATE GENERALLY, BUT MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE.
EDIT END.

BTW, I never had any trouble with bright LEDs so far, but the first thing I did, after recovering my eyesight, was putting some gaffer tape over the green laser beams. :D
I don't mind that, though, I don't care how my modular looks.

Dipole is one of the best Filters as of now out there.
Most of my Modules have Duct Tape on the LEDs.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:27 pm

TheDannyGrant wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:02 am
Hi all. Just received mine and I’m in love with the sound. This one seems to have quite wiggly pots, a few of the shafts have a fair bit of give with some being worse than others. Is this consistent with other units? Cheers.
Yo, going ftom my modules I would say, that's probably normal. The Trim Pots on my ZPO are rather inconsistent and on the Dipole as well. I don't mind, even if two of em are even a little difficult to turn, but I guess you cannot have everything in a module.

Soundwise the new SSF stuff is just fantastic. Love it. Just made the dryest ping woodblock line ever :sb:

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm

A simple little spectral crossfading fun with the Dipole, glad to still be finding functions with this thing! Was too busy doing crazy things to just spend time with the simple functions lol. Patch Notes

dip_registered
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dip_registered » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 am

TheDannyGrant wrote:
I just received mine new and noticed that the drive knobs have quite a bit of resistance, one much more than the other.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:31 am

dip_registered wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 am
TheDannyGrant wrote:
I just received mine new and noticed that the drive knobs have quite a bit of resistance, one much more than the other.
That drives me absolutely nuts. For the price of that module that shouldn’t be happening. That’s just sloppiness on their part. One reason I love Doepfer. Their knobs always feel amazing and consistent.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”