SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:36 am

Thanks for your interest, everyone.

Stereo Dipole will be released sometime this March.

To explain the functionality:

There are 4 state variable filters, each with selectable LP/BP/HP

The ‘POLE’ outputs are controlled by the main FREQ and are 12dB/Oct.

The ‘DIPOLE’ outputs two filters, with selectable routing in serial or parallel and also controlled by the FREQ knob. SPREAD controls the secondary SVF cutoff frequency which can be +/-5 octaves above or below the main cutoff frequency.

A fourth output ‘DIPOLE AB’ features all 4 filters routed in serial or parallel, per channel.

5 outputs, potentially 2 stereo pairs plus the quad output (mono).

The stereo knobs in the center control all the filter’s cutoff and resonance.

All filters can self oscillate so the Dipole can also function as a dual or quad sinewave VCO - tracks 1V/octave. There are 1V/oct inputs on each channel as well as a global (stereo) 1V/octave input.
You can have 2 single, 2 double and one quad sine output, simultaneously.

Can also be used as an LFO - frequency span is 0.3Hz to 50kHz and the resonance will not die out.

Bipolar CV attenuators for each channel’s cutoff freqency. Resonance CV with attenuator and Spread CV input. Stereo CV for both is also provided.

The DRIVE controls input gain into soft clipping, going into the filters.

Input A (left channel) is normalized into Input B (right channel).

It is if course pingable.

20hp +/-150mA current draw 23mm deep.

$399

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:52 am

I cannot wait for this filter.

Ssf are absolute top tier and this sounds incredible from the demos I’ve heard
Incredible price too for the quality and features
look up!

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:35 pm

gimme gimme :)

I loved the vocal sample. Initially i was "a vocal sample" But it was brilliant! Cant believe i havent tried that myself...That bubbling on vowles and the friction sounds got a real edge....
And the acid sample was awesome which i new it would be
What i love about this is it doesnt have a "sound" like the res-4 or evan QPAS
look up!

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:33 am

analogPedagog wrote: All filters can self oscillate so the Dipole can also function as a dual or quad sinewave VCO - tracks 1V/octave. There are 1V/oct inputs on each channel as well as a global (stereo) 1V/octave input.
Thank you for all the info, such a flexible design!
I'm curious, is there any temperature compensation implemented for filter tracking?

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:06 pm

Do we have a release date yet? I'd buy this for all the obvious cool filtering reasons, but it would definitely get a lot of use a quad sine osc.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:11 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:
analogPedagog wrote: All filters can self oscillate so the Dipole can also function as a dual or quad sinewave VCO - tracks 1V/octave. There are 1V/oct inputs on each channel as well as a global (stereo) 1V/octave input.
Thank you for all the info, such a flexible design!
I'm curious, is there any temperature compensation implemented for filter tracking?
Thanks much!

Yes, each of the 4 filter cores are temperature compensated.

Also as a bonus, the Spread CV input will also track 1V/octave if you want to track all 4 individually - the main V/OCT will transpose Spread but the associated Spread CV input allows additional pitch tracking for the scondary peak on each channel.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:11 pm

pinkflag16 wrote:Do we have a release date yet? I'd buy this for all the obvious cool filtering reasons, but it would definitely get a lot of use a quad sine osc.
By the end of this Month!

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Looks/sounds fantastic!!! :sb: :cloud: :hail:

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:41 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:Do we have a release date yet? I'd buy this for all the obvious cool filtering reasons, but it would definitely get a lot of use a quad sine osc.

Boooya!!!! :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:
look up!

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:43 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
Fantastic! In the meantime, any demos that show off self-oscillation or even use as a detuned unison osc would be greatly appreciated.

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Sounds pretty great!
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 am

pinkflag16 wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:
Fantastic! In the meantime, any demos that show off self-oscillation or even use as a detuned unison osc would be greatly appreciated.
Just posted some brief quad self oscillation examples on our Instagram:

First demo shows the 4 sine waves routed in parallel, second in series. The series config allows for some interesting waveshaping as well.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:57 am

analogPedagog wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:
Just posted some brief quad self oscillation examples on our Instagram:

First demo shows the 4 sine waves routed in parallel, second in series. The series config allows for some interesting waveshaping as well.
PERFECT! This is a very good fit for me. Sold.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Do you know yet when these arrive at Control, and when pre-orders will start? Just foundbout about a nice tax refund and played some ModularGrid tetris, and I’m definitely in.

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Unreasonably excited about this.

Honestly it take a lot to get me interested in a module these days, but this has done it.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 am

pinkflag16 wrote:Do you know yet when these arrive at Control, and when pre-orders will start? Just foundbout about a nice tax refund and played some ModularGrid tetris, and I’m definitely in.
I have not planned any pre-orders but may. I do plan to start shipping them to dealers on or around March 21st.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:01 am

analogPedagog wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:Do you know yet when these arrive at Control, and when pre-orders will start? Just foundbout about a nice tax refund and played some ModularGrid tetris, and I’m definitely in.
I have not planned any pre-orders but may. I do plan to start shipping them to dealers on or around March 21st.
Great! Thanks. Looking forward to it.

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 am

For those of you near the DC DMV area, Chuck Levins in Silver Spring, MD is going to be hosting an event with Andrew to kick off the release of the Dipole! I'll be performing a short set as Blacklodge with my singer/flautist collaborator em.g, and then Andrew will be breaking down the module. First of many events like this to come at Chucks!

https://www.facebook.com/events/338494639988979/

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Info is up on our website with a more detailed description of the module:
http://www.steadystatefate.com/stereodipole

Last edited by analogPedagog on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharkminusbear
Common Wiggler

Post by sharkminusbear » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm

tebs213 wrote:For those of you near the DC DMV area, Chuck Levins in Silver Spring, MD is going to be hosting an event with Andrew to kick off the release of the Dipole! I'll be performing a short set as Blacklodge with my singer/flautist collaborator em.g, and then Andrew will be breaking down the module. First of many events like this to come at Chucks!
Nice, this is actually close to me for once. Is the Dipole going to be for sale at the event too?

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:08 pm

analogPedagog wrote:Info is up on our website with a more detailed description of the module:
http://www.steadystatefate.com/stereodipole

Counting the days :).

Are any of the CV inputs normalled between the L/R sides? Also, does the SPREAD knob become an attenuator when a CV input is present?

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:19 am

pinkflag16 wrote: Counting the days :).

Are any of the CV inputs normalled between the L/R sides? Also, does the SPREAD knob become an attenuator when a CV input is present?
The Stereo FM CV normals to both sides after the Stereo FM attenuator. FM-A and FM-B are direct. CV from Stereo FM is summed with the direct CV inputs and the sum is controlled by the A/B (Left/Right) polarizing attenuators.

Direct A/B RES are summed after attenuation with Stereo RES, also post attenuator.

SPREAD control does not attenuate CV, behaves as an offset - normal operation. This ensures accurate use as a 1V/oct tracking input in order to create proper resonant harmonies. This is the only CV without built in attenuation for said reason.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:25 am

analogPedagog wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote: Counting the days :).

The Stereo FM CV normals to both sides after the Stereo FM attenuator. FM-A and FM-B are direct. CV from Stereo FM is summed with the direct CV inputs and the sum is controlled by the A/B (Left/Right) polarizing attenuators.

Direct A/B RES are summed after attenuation with Stereo RES, also post attenuator.

SPREAD control does not attenuate CV, behaves as an offset - normal operation. This ensures accurate use as a 1V/oct tracking input in order to create proper resonant harmonies. This is the only CV without built in attenuation for said reason.
Thank you! That makes sense.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”