SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 am

That module announcement got me hooked.
Not because I had been looking for something like this for my own system in particular, but I have been planning a couple of modules myself, and just ten days ago I discussed some of my ideas with a colleague. And one of my drafts is almost precisely like this module. When I saw this one, it felt almost like someone had just read my mind and put it together over night...
:eek:
Well, now I'm really curious to see if it lives up to my expectations, if it makes my own concept obsolete after all.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:46 pm

sir stony wrote: Well, now I'm really curious to see if it lives up to my expectations, if it makes my own concept obsolete after all.
Being that you thought up of a similar idea, what would your expectations be?

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:35 pm

analogPedagog wrote: Being that you thought up of a similar idea, what would your expectations be?
Those are mostly about the sound. The features are practically all there and even some more. My concept was not specially aimed at stereo use which had saved some controls and space.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:15 am

sir stony wrote:
analogPedagog wrote: Being that you thought up of a similar idea, what would your expectations be?
Those are mostly about the sound. The features are practically all there and even some more. My concept was not specially aimed at stereo use which had saved some controls and space.
I care very much about sound quality as well. Typically always use higher fidelity op amps and discrete components as standard.

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:53 pm

analogPedagog wrote: I care very much about sound quality as well. Typically always use higher fidelity op amps and discrete components as standard.
I don't doubt the quality itself at all.
Filters are of course much a matter of taste, personally I prefer mine to have some character rather than being pure tools, although sometimes a clean tool is precisely what one needs to save the day. However, not many filters I used in my 25yrs experience were capable to shine on both counts. The "random/glitch" demo video showed some of what this one can do technically, but it didn't answer much about how it sounds in a musical context. And I'm not much interested in pointless blips and tweets and noises...
Hence my continued curiosity.
:hyper:

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:22 pm

sir stony wrote:
analogPedagog wrote: I care very much about sound quality as well. Typically always use higher fidelity op amps and discrete components as standard.
I don't doubt the quality itself at all.
Filters are of course much a matter of taste, personally I prefer mine to have some character rather than being pure tools, although sometimes a clean tool is precisely what one needs to save the day. However, not many filters I used in my 25yrs experience were capable to shine on both counts. The "random/glitch" demo video showed some of what this one can do technically, but it didn't answer much about how it sounds in a musical context. And I'm not much interested in pointless blips and tweets and noises...
Hence my continued curiosity.
:hyper:
Yes, that was more of a demo of the technical side. tbh, not one for the blips and glitch as much as techno and the musical aspect, myself.
Let the anticipation continue...

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Spent the day in the studio tracking drums for a project, and couldn’t miss on the opportunity to process some cymbals using the dipole as an insert. Everyone in the room had an enormous smile on their face while I used a Planar to play with the filtered frequency responce across the stereo field. Particularly loved the sound of the filters in BP for this purpose, with resonance tuned just before self-oscillation on both sides in conjunction with the macro resonance knob. I’m particularly excited to experiment with some self-patching and FM this week, but on first trial I have to say the sound is extremely three-dimensional and the palate of possible sounds as a filter are as wide as any I’ve experienced. Driving the input really alters the sound quite a bit as well. The interface is really well designed, I found the placement of the CV input attenuators particularly well placed and natural for having so many on the module. I basically jumped right in and it immediately made sense. The only technical aspect I looked up was how the summing worked with the macro Frequency and Resonance CV inputs in relation to the individual CV inputs on Side A & B, otherwise it was all completely intuitive and straightforward even though it’s quite feature-rich.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 am

Can’t wait to try it out. This and the zero point oscillator are on my shortlist of modules to get this year.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am

demos sound really cool so far but a lot of them are a bit too complex. the quad sinewave was very impressive. i would like to hear more demos to show off the character... maybe squarewave with subtle enveloping, external processing of drum loops wih some envelope followers, some tasteful distortion as well.

one thing that appeals about the qpas is the “smile” outputs, which sound cool in their demos. i see this in the description of the stereo dipole...
Series and Parallel combinations will provide capabilities such as 24dB/OCT HP/BP/LP, Variable Width Band Pass and Notch as well as other obscure filter combinations.
how exactly do you patch program the notch filters? some demos of this would be very nice too, seems to get a cool stereo phasey effect

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 am

damase wrote:demos sound really cool so far but a lot of them are a bit too complex. the quad sinewave was very impressive. i would like to hear more demos to show off the character... maybe squarewave with subtle enveloping, external processing of drum loops wih some envelope followers, some tasteful distortion as well.

one thing that appeals about the qpas is the “smile” outputs, which sound cool in their demos. i see this in the description of the stereo dipole...
Series and Parallel combinations will provide capabilities such as 24dB/OCT HP/BP/LP, Variable Width Band Pass and Notch as well as other obscure filter combinations.
how exactly do you patch program the notch filters? some demos of this would be very nice too, seems to get a cool stereo phasey effect
There are a bunch of quick demos of more or less what you are describing as not complex for a demo on our instagram. But we are working on more with better audio if you are not convinced of the character. The sound cloud demos are pretty simple patches as well. The links above ^ show just a square wave with simple envelope. The other is just audio rate FM with a sawtooth as sound source.

A variable width band pass is accomplished by setting one filter to HP and one to LP on a specific channel and choosing the series routing option. SPREAD would control the bandwidth and FREQ will control the position of the filter within the source material spectrum.

You could choose HP/LP or LP/HP combos for the POLE and DIPOLE outputs - basically would just change whether SPREAD should be set above or below center position to achieve variable-width band pass.

Notch is similar except that you would just switch to routing in parallel and adjust SPREAD and FREQ appropriately.

There is not any info on what smile pass actually is to reference, but from the sound I would assume it is just a combo of filter types - like you can do with the dipole in multiple ways.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:27 am

ok thanks i shouldve realized the notch was just that simple.

yes, i watched all the ig videos, i could use more of that flavor of demos just longer and maybe with a simple sequence or some other musical contexts. not that im not convinced of the character, it just has a more clean hifi edge to it so i think its hard to show it off by a few 45 second videos. in the end its probably a good thing as the sound seems amorphous, but id like to hear more to get the range. also the how the distortion sounds makes a big difference to me for filters, i love your saturation from the promodular miiiix so i expect it to be nice

thank you

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:50 pm

damase wrote:ok thanks i shouldve realized the notch was just that simple.

yes, i watched all the ig videos, i could use more of that flavor of demos just longer and maybe with a simple sequence or some other musical contexts. not that im not convinced of the character, it just has a more clean hifi edge to it so i think its hard to show it off by a few 45 second videos. in the end its probably a good thing as the sound seems amorphous, but id like to hear more to get the range. also the how the distortion sounds makes a big difference to me for filters, i love your saturation from the promodular miiiix so i expect it to be nice

thank you
For sure, and they are on the way.

The overdrive is not the same as the MIIIIX but is a softer clipping with more bass. I'm going to have a hell of a time showing off all the ways it can sound. There is a lot to be coaxed simply from combining the different filter types and routing, alone. The resonance also adds a lot of difference and can also be clipped a bit harder.
Looking forward to showing everybody.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:50 am

A limited number of pre-release Stereo Dipole will be available at the Chuck Levin’s Modular event, this Saturday, the 16th.

kid_kozmoz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kid_kozmoz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:03 pm

analogPedagog wrote:A limited number of pre-release Stereo Dipole will be available at the Chuck Levin’s Modular event, this Saturday, the 16th.
Oh cool! I think I'll drop by then. :goo:

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:28 pm

analogPedagog wrote:A limited number of pre-release Stereo Dipole will be available at the Chuck Levin’s Modular event, this Saturday, the 16th.
Aw damn, now I really really wish I could go :deadbanana:

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am

kid_kozmoz wrote:
Confirmed 12 Stereo Dipole will be available for purchase at the Chuck Levin’s event, tomorrow!

We start shipping to all other dealers next week.

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am

I'll be there!

It's been terrible for my bank account that Chuck's carries modular!

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Pre-ordered at Control :)

Good thing my tax refund came this week.

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:50 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
kid_kozmoz wrote:
Confirmed 12 Stereo Dipole will be available for purchase at the Chuck Levin’s event, tomorrow!

We start shipping to all other dealers next week.
I'll see you there :tu:

kid_kozmoz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kid_kozmoz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Had a good time at the event yesterday and took one home. I’ve been wiggling with it today, mostly as a stereo phaser. Sounds excellent, especially with the soft clipping from the drive. :sb:

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm

JEALOUS! Are we still on for these showing up at dealers on the 21st (esp at Control)?

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 am

pinkflag16 wrote:JEALOUS! Are we still on for these showing up at dealers on the 21st (esp at Control)?
Shipping as orders come in from dealers. Going to beigin shipping this week, some may arrive before or after the 21st.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 am

analogPedagog wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:JEALOUS! Are we still on for these showing up at dealers on the 21st (esp at Control)?
Shipping as orders come in from dealers. Going to beigin shipping this week, some may arrive before or after the 21st.
Great. I placed an order Friday.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Got to play the demo at Control today (but the orders aren’t in yet). I was really blown away. Fantastic module, and I barely scratched the surface.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”