SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:48 am

pinkflag16 wrote:Got to play the demo at Control today (but the orders aren’t in yet). I was really blown away. Fantastic module, and I barely scratched the surface.
Really glad you had to the chance to check it out, early. The orders should arrive very soon.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:16 pm

In stock at Control, if anyone is looking. I picked up my pre-order today, and WOW. I spent a couple of hours patching various things from giant overdriven bass/organ sounds to angelic detuned unison sines to MS-20 on crack. I didn't quite get the series/parallel at first, until i realized that that switch is per side, and not between sides. In other words, you have to patch dipole A to input B if you want to do the sides in series. But when you do...

I had a bit of a tax refund shopping spree this week, and ended up with quite a few SSF modules (both Entities, Quantum Rainbow, ADSRVCA, and the Dipole). Is there a punch card I should get? Next module free?

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:54 am

pinkflag16 wrote:In stock at Control, if anyone is looking. I picked up my pre-order today, and WOW. I spent a couple of hours patching various things from giant overdriven bass/organ sounds to angelic detuned unison sines to MS-20 on crack. I didn't quite get the series/parallel at first, until i realized that that switch is per side, and not between sides. In other words, you have to patch dipole A to input B if you want to do the sides in series. But when you do...

I had a bit of a tax refund shopping spree this week, and ended up with quite a few SSF modules (both Entities, Quantum Rainbow, ADSRVCA, and the Dipole). Is there a punch card I should get? Next module free?
Yes, if you patch each side in series with each other, you get up to 48dB/oct filtering.

Series/prallel switch is for routing the dual peaks, per side.

I like the punch card idea...

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am

For those attending Synthplex this week, make sure to stop by Steady State Fate at booth 36 for a full featured demo of the Stereo Dipole.

And a few demos will be released this week! Sorry for the delay!

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Just got one in the mail today. First impressions are that I'm very impressed by the utility available and that it can sound very clean or can add some nice character with the drive. The "Dipole" on either side is really nice for all of those situations where I want to run something through two filter types, and this allows you to do that not once, but twice, and very easily. I feel like it could be challenging to dial in with all the options, but time and practice should take care of that. Well done, SSF! :yay: :yay: :yay:

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:46 pm

Session with the Dipole as a quad oscillator. Using an external VCO (Erica Synths Fusion VCO) as a modulator and an Antimatter Audio Crossfold to make a kind of complex oscillator out of it. Reverb by the Meris Mercury 7.

[video][/video]

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Any idea when the manual will be posted? I'm really enjoying this and the cheat sheet is helpful, but I'm guessing there are still a few specifics that would be illuminated with more information...

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:26 am

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Any idea when the manual will be posted? I'm really enjoying this and the cheat sheet is helpful, but I'm guessing there are still a few specifics that would be illuminated with more information...
Still working on it but I am happy to answer any of your questions here so everyone can see in the meantime.

This video offers a sort of layman’s overview of the SD. I belive he will be doing further videos as well if you would like to follow.

[video][/video]

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:12 am

The main question I have currently is, what position on the spread knobs aligns with the main frequency? Also, is the range of the stereo resonance knob larger than the A or B res knobs? (Similar to the frequency knobs.)

Skamgdi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skamgdi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 am

Man the Dipole is SICK!! i will have a video up about it soon. Also Andrew is a Super cool dude!

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:36 am

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:The main question I have currently is, what position on the spread knobs aligns with the main frequency? Also, is the range of the stereo resonance knob larger than the A or B res knobs? (Similar to the frequency knobs.)
SPREAD is aligned with the main frequency control when in center position.

From there you get up to +/- 5 octave offset on the secondary peak cutoff frequency.

Stereo RES is a bipolar control. So this should be set to center position nominally.
Each channel's RES works like a normal resonance control - unipolar.

This way, you can set each channel's res points individually, then boost or back off that amount altogether with the bipolar STEREO-RES control.

additional info,:
Stereo Freq range is about 20 octaves. this is twice as wide as the channel FREQ and SPREAD controls.

This allows you to scan through sub-audio to super sonic - more specifically, if you have all the filters very widely spaced apart.

For instance, say you have the left channel FREQ-A set somewhat low and SPREAD-S set 4-5 octaves down, you can use the wide range of the STEREO-FREQ control to completely pass through the very low cutoff points set by those controls.

Also allows you to get into sub-audio range for LFOs without external CV, and filter DC and slow CV sources without external CV.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed May 01, 2019 10:09 pm

This is really awesome! I love the overdrive tones on the Stereo Dipole.

I read the cheatsheet on your site, but I couldn't figure out - what is the relationship between the stereo freq knob and the freq-a/b knobs? It's not apparent to me if it's a uni- or bi-polar sum with the individual channel freq knobs, or if there's even a "default" position. I'm mostly curious because I'd love to be able to use it as a stereo filter, both also a two-channel dipole filter.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 am

versipellis wrote:I'm mostly curious because I'd love to be able to use it as a stereo filter, both also a two-channel dipole filter.
You can definitely do that. I tend to keep the stereo pots in their centre position as a default, and each filter can still fully close (or open) with its own pot.

Maybe the SSF guys can provide something more technical, but that's how it appears on the ground. :tu:

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Thu May 02, 2019 8:11 am

versipellis wrote:This is really awesome! I love the overdrive tones on the Stereo Dipole.

I read the cheatsheet on your site, but I couldn't figure out - what is the relationship between the stereo freq knob and the freq-a/b knobs? It's not apparent to me if it's a uni- or bi-polar sum with the individual channel freq knobs, or if there's even a "default" position. I'm mostly curious because I'd love to be able to use it as a stereo filter, both also a two-channel dipole filter.
All FREQ controls are bipolar.

Channel FREQ sums into the respective, POLE and DIPOLE filters.

Channel SPREAD is dedicated to the respective DIPOLE filters.

STEREO FREQ sums into all 4 filters.

A good starting point for a stereo application is to set all channel and spread controls to center position and use the stereo freq to control the cutoff. In that case all the filters will have the same cutoff frequency and you can offset them from there to achieve frequency based panning effects and mixed topologies at different cutoff frequencies.

When using each channel independently, its best to think of the Stereo Freq as a range control. I like my filters to completely close off the lowest audible frequency, for instance. So I would set the Stereo Freq control to around 9 o’clock and this still allows for complete coverage across the audio band using the respective channel FREQ cutoff controls. Then you can simply switch back to stereo by focusing on using the stereo control and vice-versa.

As for Stereo RES, this control is bipolar, while the channel res controls are unipolar (as they typically are). This follows the same reasoning as the FREQ controls where you can set each channel’s resonance and use the stereo res to boost (right of center position) or cut (left of center) the overall stereo resonance in tandem. Therefore, the default position for stereo res is in the center position, ie Zero.

These are not steadfast rules but rather a base point - it is also useful to use these features at any time for any reason. For instance, if I am pinging the filters, I can turn Stereo Res all the way down and channel res all the way up - this conveniently sets the channel resonance just below full on oscillation, providing a simpler way to dial in the resonance for a pinging application.

And I apologize for not having the full manual out there, yet...

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am

Your manuals are the best in the business so it’ll be worth the wait, I’m sure. I sometimes read SSF manuals for modules I don’t even own, just for the fun of it. 8-)

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
All FREQ controls are bipolar....

Thanks for this, helps clear a few things up.

Loving this filter too...

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Thu May 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:Your manuals are the best in the business so it’ll be worth the wait, I’m sure. I sometimes read SSF manuals for modules I don’t even own, just for the fun of it. 8-)
lol i actually did this last night

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu May 02, 2019 9:53 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
versipellis wrote:This is really awesome! I love the overdrive tones on the Stereo Dipole.

All FREQ controls are bipolar.

Channel FREQ sums into the respective, POLE and DIPOLE filters.

Channel SPREAD is dedicated to the respective DIPOLE filters.

STEREO FREQ sums into all 4 filters.

A good starting point for a stereo application is to set all channel and spread controls to center position and use the stereo freq to control the cutoff. In that case all the filters will have the same cutoff frequency and you can offset them from there to achieve frequency based panning effects and mixed topologies at different cutoff frequencies.

When using each channel independently, its best to think of the Stereo Freq as a range control. I like my filters to completely close off the lowest audible frequency, for instance. So I would set the Stereo Freq control to around 9 o’clock and this still allows for complete coverage across the audio band using the respective channel FREQ cutoff controls. Then you can simply switch back to stereo by focusing on using the stereo control and vice-versa.

As for Stereo RES, this control is bipolar, while the channel res controls are unipolar (as they typically are). This follows the same reasoning as the FREQ controls where you can set each channel’s resonance and use the stereo res to boost (right of center position) or cut (left of center) the overall stereo resonance in tandem. Therefore, the default position for stereo res is in the center position, ie Zero.

These are not steadfast rules but rather a base point - it is also useful to use these features at any time for any reason. For instance, if I am pinging the filters, I can turn Stereo Res all the way down and channel res all the way up - this conveniently sets the channel resonance just below full on oscillation, providing a simpler way to dial in the resonance for a pinging application.

And I apologize for not having the full manual out there, yet...
Thank you so much! And no worries - honestly, the quick start guide/manual you have already posted has great diagrams for how the voltages and knobs get summed.

astrodislocate
Common Wiggler

Post by astrodislocate » Tue May 28, 2019 10:17 pm

I just got mine, and after a couple minutes of noodling I can say this is definitely my favorite filter I've owned, and almost certainly a keeper. However, these LEDs are bright enough that it feels like I'm staring directly into a flashlight. Can anyone confirm if these dim a little bit after a while?

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Thu May 30, 2019 3:30 pm

astrodislocate wrote:I just got mine, and after a couple minutes of noodling I can say this is definitely my favorite filter I've owned, and almost certainly a keeper. However, these LEDs are bright enough that it feels like I'm staring directly into a flashlight. Can anyone confirm if these dim a little bit after a while?
Happy to hear that you like it - sorry to hear that the LEDs are too bright for you - I have sensitive eyes but tried to keep them dim.
You can try replacing the resistors going to the LEDs because they will not get dimmer over time.

PM me for info on that - not going to share it publically as any modifications will be at your own risk.

drowld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:41 am

analogPedagog wrote:
astrodislocate wrote:I just got mine, and after a couple minutes of noodling I can say this is definitely my favorite filter I've owned, and almost certainly a keeper. However, these LEDs are bright enough that it feels like I'm staring directly into a flashlight. Can anyone confirm if these dim a little bit after a while?
Happy to hear that you like it - sorry to hear that the LEDs are too bright for you - I have sensitive eyes but tried to keep them dim.
You can try replacing the resistors going to the LEDs because they will not get dimmer over time.

PM me for info on that - not going to share it publically as any modifications will be at your own risk.
Is it hard to do ?
Leds often give me problems too. On the instruo CS-L the leds are so bright that it burn my eyes so i had to put something on them to hide them.. Which isnt nice to feel and see at all :(

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:07 am

drowld wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:

Is it hard to do ?
Leds often give me problems too. On the instruo CS-L the leds are so bright that it burn my eyes so i had to put something on them to hide them.. Which isnt nice to feel and see at all :(
The hard part would be removing the resistors. I use soldering tweezers so that both sides can be desoldered at once and they will easily release from the pcb. Otherwise you could try desoldering each side of the resistors using a suction pump and single tip iron. But could risk damaging the board.

Then soldering the replacement resistors may be a bit tedious - they are 0402.

Is it the Green LED that bothers your eyes the most?

drowld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:48 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
drowld wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:

Is it hard to do ?
The hard part would be removing the resistors. I use soldering tweezers so that both sides can be desoldered at once and they will easily release from the pcb. Otherwise you could try desoldering each side of the resistors using a suction pump and single tip iron. But could risk damaging the board.

Green isn't too bad. Blue is the worst.
It's more about the intesity. I'm not sure why leds need to be so bright. No one use their modular under the full sun.
If you have seen Instruo leds on the CS-L it's really too much.
I will probably see when i have it anyway

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:15 pm

drowld wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:
drowld wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:

Is it hard to do ?

Green isn't too bad. Blue is the worst.
It's more about the intesity. I'm not sure why leds need to be so bright. No one use their modular under the full sun.
If you have seen Instruo leds on the CS-L it's really too much.
I will probably see when i have it anyway
On the Dipole, Blue is not very bright at all. Green is actually the brightest. I honestly feel it isn't that bad, but shows up very bright on video and in total darkness.

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Sonically and controls wise, I’ve found this to be an awesome filter. I was really a bit worried about getting ‘another filter’ (yes I’m a filter addict!) :hihi: but took the plunge anyway.

Keeper doesn’t begin to cover it! Immense flexibility and such a great sound in every duty I can think of. The added value is the ergonomic and logical layout with great range and scaling on the knobs too.
:yay:

The only negative is a minor one - the LEDs. Actually I find them too bright, and a lot brighter than all the others in my rack (I’m not usually shy of LEDs in my setup, but I might move this module from the angled section in my LCB to try to make the light less direct). But hey... I guess I’ll cope given how useful I find the module.

Thanks btw for the tips and clarifications, very helpful! And thank you again for bringing a new favourite addition to the rack!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”