Emblematic Systems - Catalyst - macro controller

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:21 am

JES wrote:Users: how are you liking the feel and the build quality? How does the crossfader feel? Are the buttons robust? Are the encoders solid or wiggly?
Everything's very good! Solid! :party:

Esgal
Common Wiggler

Post by Esgal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Definitely want to see some videos with patch notes. Or a DivKidVid... Really curious to see what it’s best used for. Vcas, filters, pitch, etc
ESGAL - BORGASM - TOBIAS KELLER - BLAZE OR BUST
Https://www.kunstwerkmultimedia.com
https://www.blazeorbust.com

FS/FT: Bastl DC Motor, Erica Black Stereo Mixer v2, Beatstep Pro

Esgal
Common Wiggler

Post by Esgal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Also, I can’t find it on modular grid...
ESGAL - BORGASM - TOBIAS KELLER - BLAZE OR BUST
Https://www.kunstwerkmultimedia.com
https://www.blazeorbust.com

FS/FT: Bastl DC Motor, Erica Black Stereo Mixer v2, Beatstep Pro

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:47 pm

Esgal wrote:Also, I can’t find it on modular grid...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-catalyst

You have to not block "unknown" if you are looking for really new stuff or Etsy/reverb fsceplates, etc
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

bang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bang » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:27 am

Sadly this module lacks any input..

If there will be an expander to address this issue I would be totally in! It would bring this module to the next level by opening it to the endless possibilities of external modulation and inter-module communication, feedbackpatching :omg:

For example a clock input for syncing the recording. Also a cv input for the fader (if something is patched the fader becomes an attenuverter of the incoming cv like addac306). Or even something similar for each channel. What about cv scene switching, triggering record, alter physic simulation intensity, assignable inputs.. etc .. etc..

Without something to modulate its just a midicontroller with some bells and whistles. Furthermore it doesent necessary need to be in the modular realm...

But dont misunderstand me, I love the module by now anyways :sb:

iheartmodular
Common Wiggler

Post by iheartmodular » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:45 pm

i disagree

this is for live playing

it would ruin if for me if it had these because i would then not play it

:tu:

lrclazer
Common Wiggler

Post by lrclazer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 pm

iheartmodular wrote:i disagree

this is for live playing

Agreed. The module is already more than I could want as is ...

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Emblematic Systems - Catalyst - macro controller

Post by synonymist » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:28 am

Last edited by synonymist on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:03 am

iheartmodular wrote:i disagree

this is for live playing

Absolutley!

It would be less interesting for me if it had cv control. Its awesomeness is in using the crossfader live!
Really great build quality and its more or less like the octatrack crossfader (I used the octatrack a couple of years) I now pair it with an ER-301. Really great combo!
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

neilmcm1975
Common Wiggler

Post by neilmcm1975 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 am

When will these be back in stock ?

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:09 am

This looks great! Seeing as I was just lamenting the fact that there weren't gong to be any more knobs modules, this seems to fit in that section and then some.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:15 am

I confirm the build quality is excellent and better than most. The aluminum front panel is thicker than average and the printing on the front is beautiful.

Module functionality is exactly as stated in the demos and super user friendly once you get the muscle memory down with the button combo functions.

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:15 am

Hello Everyone!
Thank you all for your enthusiasm, your support and your kindness. I would also like to thank Hannes of Papernoise for the wonderful design work and general guidance, Michale Hetrick for testing, my girl friend for for helping out with the shipping when I am not home, David of DG-Media Regensburg for the photography and filming. Everybody involved has been so sweet and encouraging, I feel nothing but blessed.

The first batch is sold out at the Emblemetic online shop. A few more units are available at Perfect Circuit.
bang wrote:Sadly this module lacks any input..

If there will be an expander to address this issue I would be totally in! It would bring this module to the next level by opening it to the endless possibilities of external modulation and inter-module communication, feedbackpatching :omg:

For example a clock input for syncing the recording. Also a cv input for the fader (if something is patched the fader becomes an attenuverter of the incoming cv like addac306).
A first prototype run of the expander unit has arrived at my place and if everything goes well the expander should become available in the near future. It is only 2hp and it does exactly what you ask for, plus it also will enable an audio bootloader for firmware updates. Plus it turns Catalyst into a nice little sync'd CV recorder. A mock-up is attached below. I have to say I really like your idea of having the fader become an attenuverter when a cable is patched but I'd need an extra communication line between the expander and the module to do that and it just isn't available. As it is now in the prototype and in the mock-up the crossfader acts as an offset and has to be in the leftmost position for full input CV swing. If the input CV is fully attenuated on the expander the control is handed back to the crossfader.

synonymist wrote:Why are Catalyst's CV outputs only unipolar?

I would like to be able to choose between 0 to 10V unipolar and -5V to +5V bipolar.
Yes, bipolar output is something I’ve been thinking about from the beginning, but it would have complicated the hardware design and more importantly it would have made things more expensive. There still is a possibility to implement it in the new batch but I’d have to raise the price by around 20€ for the extra chips and extra calibration procedures that will become necessary. It would also be possible for people who bought from the first batch to upgrade by getting a new mainboard from me if the bipolar output is important to them. It’s an option, but no decision is made yet. I am curious about your opinions.
Another quick and dirty option would be to add one or several jumpers on the back to switch the outputs around. That wouldn't cause any extra cost but it would be a bit inconvenient not to have the option on the panel and also the zero volt points would be a bit less precise.
bobbcorr wrote:Just found it on Modulargrid - shazaam! Looks like its time to change the metadata from "prototype" to "in production"! Congratulations!
ModularGrid was kind enough to list me as manufacturer so the module should be more visible now and I changed the status from "prototype" to "currently available"

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Last edited by synonymist on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:57 pm

WoW, i just stumble over this the first time ( :doh: )
yes, as a firstbatch octatrack user: thats what we are waiting for since ever ;)

+-5V as an option would be *totally* welcome ! really.
But: it opens up some questions i think

personally i find eurorack-today *totally* inconsistent in regards to what voltages different modules want to see for their modulation inputs.
a setting option for: 10V, 5V, +-5V could help alots to make the handling easier for the user me thinks ( so, even 3 options, not only two / per output ? ( i know ;) ))

anyway, when will the next batch be ready to shop ? ( switzerland shop or direct from you )
bahh, me wants......... :cloud:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

iheartmodular
Common Wiggler

Post by iheartmodular » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:12 am

nice :yay:

play live or modulate

why not both

excellent example of appropriate expander functionality separation

bipolar would be nice but not essential

but not jumpers and definitely no less precision

Cobramatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cobramatic » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:27 pm

Emblematic wrote:
A first prototype run of the expander unit has arrived at my place and if everything goes well the expander should become available in the near future. It is only 2hp and it does exactly what you ask for, plus it also will enable an audio bootloader for firmware updates. Plus it turns Catalyst into a nice little sync'd CV recorder. A mock-up is attached below. I have to say I really like your idea of having the fader become an attenuverter when a cable is patched but I'd need an extra communication line between the expander and the module to do that and it just isn't available. As it is now in the prototype and in the mock-up the crossfader acts as an offset and has to be in the leftmost position for full input CV swing. If the input CV is fully attenuated on the expander the control is handed back to the crossfader.

I got one of the first modules and I'm really happy with it - build quality and fader action are superb.
I got it mainly for its performance capability but I also think the expander would be very much worth getting - BUT I have one important request--

Ergonomically the original module is perfect as a controller to sit in a skiff or front row of your rig - the buttons and fader are easy to access and all cv outs are at the top so they don't get in the way. So... with the expander the last thing I want is a jack at the bottom which will draw cables down across the face of the module and basically just get in the way.
Is it possible to just keep the 2 jacks at the top of the module and the pots and switches etc at the middle and bottom?
That would be clean and ideal for me and many others I'm sure and would also match the logic of the main module.

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:46 am

Thanks for your suggestion. The problem is that the jacks have the mechanical function of attaching the pcb. That is why they are spread out to top and bottom. Space on the pcb is very limited so adding a separate standoff to attach it would be hardly possible. If cables are in the way you can always use some kind of cable tie or you can just flip the expander so the jack that you use the most will be on top.
I will see what I can do but I can't make any promises.

Cobramatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cobramatic » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Emblematic wrote:Thanks for your suggestion. The problem is that the jacks have the mechanical function of attaching the pcb. That is why they are spread out to top and bottom. Space on the pcb is very limited so adding a separate standoff to attach it would be hardly possible. If cables are in the way you can always use some kind of cable tie or you can just flip the expander so the jack that you use the most will be on top.
I will see what I can do but I can't make any promises.
Thanks for the explanation. I totally understand that technical issue, especially for a 2hp module (which I think is right to keep it as small as possible).
I'm certain to get the Expander either way! :goo:

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Jones-ing heavily for Catalyst with expander. Any idea when more might be available?

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Mon May 20, 2019 6:43 pm

I am working on a new batch right now and it will be available in early July. Also I am working on finalising the expander and I am hoping I will have some units ready to ship in 3-4 weeks.

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Last edited by synonymist on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 pm

I can't decide if I need this, or the ADDAC VC Transitions...

both? both you say? :help: :doh:

and find room for frames (need a black panel and more hp!)
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm

synonymist wrote:Will the new batch be -5v/+5v bipolar? (Please? :))
Yes, that's what I am working on and that's why the new batch is taking a bit longer than expected.
gentle_attack wrote:I can't decide if I need this, or the ADDAC VC Transitions...

both? both you say? :help: :doh:
Ha! I can't really help you there but I'd say get both! Catalyst doesn't go very high into audio rate modulation, but it can do some state saving magic.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Emblematic wrote:I am working on a new batch right now and it will be available in early July.
ok, i really want one !
what do i have to do to certainly NOT missing out ?
do i have to subscribe to the newsletter ? (probably i even allready have )

do you only sell directly ?

will expanders also be available then ?
what is the expander for ? ( sorry, if its in the depth of this thread )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”