Emblematic Systems - Catalyst - macro controller

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed May 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Emblematic wrote:I am working on a new batch right now and it will be available in early July.
ok, i really want one !
what do i have to do to certainly NOT missing out ?
do i have to subscribe to the newsletter ? (probably i even allready have )

do you only sell directly ?

will expanders also be available then ?
what is the expander for ? ( sorry, if its in the depth of this thread )
Well, the batch will be a bit bigger so it shouldn't be gone as fast as the last one. I will announce everything in the newsletter and here on MW of course. I sell directly and Perfect Circuit sells it in the US. Other European shops will probably also get involved in the next batch. The expander will certainly be available by the time the next batch comes around and it offers CV control over the crossfader and a reset trigger input for the motion recorder.

Also right now I am working on a special run of Catalyst that will use a very high quality crossfader, because I've gotten quite a few requests by people that are used to fancy DJ mixers and the feel of those crossfaders inside them. That special run will be more expensive obviously, because those crossfaders ain't cheap. It will have a shorter travel of about 45mm, like it is standard for DJ crossfaders. Let's see how that goes and let me know of there's any interest!

I will also try to get the files ready to have this module available as an open source project. It was fully created using the open source tools KiCad and SystemWorkbench, and I am happy to share the project files once I've done the necessary work to tidy things up, which might me take a while though.

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Last edited by synonymist on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Emblematic wrote:
Funky40 wrote:
Emblematic wrote:I am working on a new batch right now and it will be available in early July.
ok, i really want one !
what do i have to do to certainly NOT missing out ?
do i have to subscribe to the newsletter ? (probably i even allready have )

do you only sell directly ?

will expanders also be available then ?
what is the expander for ? ( sorry, if its in the depth of this thread )
Also right now I am working on a special run of Catalyst that will use a very high quality crossfader, because I've gotten quite a few requests by people that are used to fancy DJ mixers and the feel of those crossfaders inside them. That special run will be more expensive obviously, because those crossfaders ain't cheap. It will have a shorter travel of about 45mm, like it is standard for DJ crossfaders. Let's see how that goes and let me know of there's any interest!
Yeeeeeeeee!
Can those of us who have unipolar Catalysts update to bipolar operation ?

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 am

MATSmile wrote:Yeeeeeeeee!
Can those of us who have unipolar Catalysts update to bipolar operation ?
Yes, but it can't be done in software because I had to rework the output stage. The small circuit board that is attached to the back will have to be replaced. For people that are interested I will try to offer a replacement part for a very reasonable price. More details soon.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:57 am

Emblematic wrote:
synonymist wrote:Will the new batch be -5v/+5v bipolar? (Please? :))
Yes, that's what I am working on and that's why the new batch is taking a bit longer than expected.
just out of interest:
is the -5v/+5V settable to unipolar per menu ?
in that sense: choosable ?
just asking.

Thanks for taking the time !
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 am

45mm travel seems to be what the OT has.
feels good fro me.
i´m in for the updated fader.

how much travel has the standard one ?
is the updated fader similar to the OT (mkII) Fader *from its feel* ? do you know ?
OT mkII feels very good
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Thu May 23, 2019 10:54 am

Funky40 wrote:
Emblematic wrote:
synonymist wrote:Will the new batch be -5v/+5v bipolar? (Please? :))
Yes, that's what I am working on and that's why the new batch is taking a bit longer than expected.
just out of interest:
is the -5v/+5V settable to unipolar per menu ?
in that sense: choosable ?
Yes of course! You can switch each individual output between uni polar and bipolar output right from the panel, without losing any output resolution and with precise calibration for the zero volt point, that's what I am working on.
Funky40 wrote:how much travel has the standard one ?
is the updated fader similar to the OT (mkII) Fader *from its feel* ? do you know ?
OT mkII feels very good
The standard fader has 60mm travel and is analog with a very high resolution. It is a physical contact fader so there is some minimal physical resistance, similar to the channel faders on standard mixing desks. I like the long travel and I think it's great for smooth transitions. But some people from the DJ scene prefer movement that is completely free of resistance. Also I will try to introduce a curve setting into the software.
I only have the Octatrack MKI, so I can't say how it compares, also I am still working on getting my prototype ready.

hdd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hdd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:21 am

Really interested in this module; even more in the special run

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Just reposting my newsletter here with some pre-sale info:

Thanks again for the great response to our first run of modules! I am working hard on getting the second run out into the world and there’s some exciting news: First of all, “Catalyst" will be getting a sibling, called “Catalyst Flow”. As I already mentioned "Catalyst Flow" is a special run that will feature an InnoFader. This is a quality, contact free, long-life crossfader with super smooth operation. It will be offered alongside the standard version, but at a higher price point of 420€. Here’s a quick overview over the differences:

Catalyst Flow crossfader:

41.5mm travel
256 points output resolution
more than 4 million cycles operating life
non-contact technology

Catalyst Standard crossfader:

60mm travel
4096 points resolution
15000 cycles operating life
0.3 - 2.5N operating force - resistive contact strip technology

The next run will be both uni- and bipolar. Each output can be individually switched between uni-polar or bipolar operation.

Also an expander is on the way and it will be released together with the second batch. It is a simple 2hp unit offering CV control of the crossfader and retriggering of the motion recording. It also allows access to the audio bootloader.

I expect the units to be available in about three weeks and I will be offering a pre-sale starting tomorrow on Monday, July 1st on my webpage:
https://emblematic-systems.net.
For US-territory you can also pre-order from Perfect Circuit.

On a limited amount of modules I will offer lower pricing for less privileged people, meaning people on Medicaid/SSI programs in the USA, on Harz IV in Germany or the equivalent in your respective homecountry or people under 23 whose parents are in any equivalent social welfare program. Just hit me up.

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 am

Last edited by synonymist on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:20 am

Emblematic wrote: and I will be offering a pre-sale starting tomorrow on Monday, July 1st on my webpage:
are the pre orders allready sold out or is it not up yet ? ( other than communicated)
( .......storys like the NG sales make me worry ;) )

i should leave here now......... :hmm:

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:46 am

Funky40 wrote:
Emblematic wrote: and I will be offering a pre-sale starting tomorrow on Monday, July 1st on my webpage:
are the pre orders allready sold out or is it not up yet ? ( other than communicated)
( .......storys like the NG sales make me worry ;) )

i should leave here now......... :hmm:
Sorry for the confusion. The pre-sale is open now. The button just says "Sold Out" by default when the stock is at zero. Also I am working hard on making the module available for everyone who wants it, and I am confident that there will be enough stock very soon, so no worries.

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:49 am

synonymist wrote:
Emblematic wrote:
Catalyst Flow crossfader:

41.5mm travel
256 points output resolution

Catalyst Standard crossfader:

60mm travel
4096 points resolution
About this difference, please:

The standard crossfader resolution is 16 times that of the special one. Is there a noticeable difference in use?
There isn't really a noticeable difference in resolution, especially since the Innofader has much shorter travel. The math is pretty straight forward: 41.5mm travel divided by 256 points resolution makes 0.162mm per point resolution. Safe to say it is fine enough to be perceived as completely fluid.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:54 am

Damn it! I was thinking about something like this the other day. Haven't paid attention much over the last year. Interesting module! Wish I had some cash. :lol:

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:06 pm

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:39 pm

Emblematic wrote:The pre-sale is open now.
Thanks for caring ! much appreciated.

ordered !

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:51 am

Ordered this and the expander yesterday. Looks really useful. The fader on the Octatrack and the scenes is probably its best feature, in my opinion. Will be great to have in euro. :)

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:27 am

Daisuk wrote:Ordered this and the expander yesterday. Looks really useful. The fader on the Octatrack and the scenes is probably its best feature, in my opinion. Will be great to have in euro. :)
I agree, though there are a couple other unique Octatrack features I love.

I also placed my order.

Also, I think it’s great that there’s a low income purchasing option for this. Eurorack is expensive, but that doesn’t mean everyone who uses it is rich (see: other music gear, electronics, etc). I think more companies should do this.

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 am

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 am

Does the expander trigger input only work if the looping playback is already active? If not, does it begin a one-shot playback or does it begin looping playback?

Will the Xfade CV input be recorded? Does this CV act as an offset to the fader position or an absolute override?

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:28 am

Not sure if Perfect Circuit will be carrying the expander, I am still waiting to hear back from them about it.
desolationjones wrote:Does the expander trigger input only work if the looping playback is already active? If not, does it begin a one-shot playback or does it begin looping playback?
Yes, currently the trigger input only works if the looping playback is active. But I like your idea. It would be a waste if it did nothing without any looping playback. I will try to do a one-shot playback or something along those lines, thanks!

desolationjones wrote:Will the Xfade CV input be recorded? Does this CV act as an offset to the fader position or an absolute override?
Yes, the CV input gets recorded and you can also apply the physical behaviour to it. The CV is an offset to the fader position. The fader always stays fully active. Turning the attenuator on the expander to zero fully hands back control to the fader. Turning the Attenuator all the way up gives maximum CV swing (-5V to 5 V) and the crossfader should be in center position to get full CV control.

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:29 am

double post

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:41 am

Incredible, and thank you for considering the one-shot as that would be my preferred behavior. Looking forward to my unit!

musicinnoise
Learning to Wiggle

Perfect Circuit ETA

Post by musicinnoise » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:46 pm

@emblematic is there any ETA on when Perfect Circuit will be receiving the Catalyst?

I pre-ordered the Catalyst through Perfect Circuit back in the beginning of April as their site indicated it was "Coming Soon". I reached out to them in the beginning of June and they indicated they still did not have an ETA.

Thanks!

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 am

Hi musicinnoise,
Sorry for the long wait. I will ship modules to Perfect Circuit in about 3 weeks, so it will be around the same time as when the direct pre-orders leave the house.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”