Doepfer A-135-2 Quad VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:17 am

I had three MI Veils, but got this because I needed a bit more room on a row. I don't hear much difference on the sound but per the Intelligel comment above I do miss the Veils' linear-exponential knob a bit.

alf1o1
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Doepfer A-135-2 Quad VCA

Post by alf1o1 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:35 pm

I have one of these
There is supposed to be "Dual Stereo VCA" mode. Has anybody managed to get this working? I followed the jumper configurations, but all it seems to do is let you control channels 1 and 3 with channel 1's controls, and control channels 2 and 4 with channel 2's controls. This part is as described in the manual.
However, the output seems to still just be a summed mono of all 4 channels, so not really stereo at all in the end :hmm:
Am I missing something?

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:23 pm

alf1o1 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:35 pm
I have one of these
There is supposed to be "Dual Stereo VCA" mode. Has anybody managed to get this working? I followed the jumper configurations, but all it seems to do is let you control channels 1 and 3 with channel 1's controls, and control channels 2 and 4 with channel 2's controls. This part is as described in the manual.
However, the output seems to still just be a summed mono of all 4 channels, so not really stereo at all in the end :hmm:
Am I missing something?
This reply is two months late, but have you tried running out of each respective channel for stereo? The final output appears to be a summed mono signal of all the VCAs, so you’ll need cables out from each channel individually in order to achieve stereo.

alf1o1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alf1o1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Yes, that does work, but then no longer is a mixer and instead is essentially just 4 VCA. But I guess that mode does do what it says on the tin - “dual stereo vca”
Would have been great if they could have made use of the 2 outputs to behave like a stereo mixer in this mode.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Wondering if anyone else's A-135-2 has Ch 4 level control (L4) responding differently from the other knobs. I just noticed today (after using it for a number of months) that it's louder than channels 1-3. For example, setting all the knobs to "3", channel 4 is noticeably louder. This difference is noticed on both the All output and the Ch4 individual output. Everything else on the module works as they should.

TIA

trashjohnson
Common Wiggler

Post by trashjohnson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:56 am

Bachelard wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:03 pm
Wondering if anyone else's A-135-2 has Ch 4 level control (L4) responding differently from the other knobs. I just noticed today (after using it for a number of months) that it's louder than channels 1-3. For example, setting all the knobs to "3", channel 4 is noticeably louder. This difference is noticed on both the All output and the Ch4 individual output. Everything else on the module works as they should.

TIA
I have not had this experience but I have accidentally turned up 4 without an input plugged in while sending audio out through the mix channel, which makes channel 3 louder because it is normalled...

naturligfunktion
Ultra Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am

How does this one work when it comes to mixing audio? Is it mainly used for controling CV or does it work with audio as well?
Sparse drum beat tinkering over a massive drone, haunted by gloomy vocals, echoing a sense of doom...

Bandcamp

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:38 am

naturligfunktion wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am
How does this one work when it comes to mixing audio? Is it mainly used for controling CV or does it work with audio as well?
I've only ever used it for audio, it works great.

naturligfunktion
Ultra Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:54 am

Nice thanks mate
Sparse drum beat tinkering over a massive drone, haunted by gloomy vocals, echoing a sense of doom...

Bandcamp

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 am

Loving the new range of smaller Doepfer modules. Doepfer rock. Why so cheap? Because.

Nothing to do with quality - all my Doepfer modules are working flawlessly after many years.
Nothing to do with functions - smart patching and thinking will yield great results.
Nothing to do with hype .... and that is probably where it is at. They are not called exotic names that make them cost hundreds of Euros. They are not painted in wild colours with functions that can only be understood if you have the manual open at the right page. They are not so small that you need the tiny hand of Donal Trump to operate or indeed a microscope to read the legends. They are made by the guy that started this ball rolling.

Just my 2 cents :)

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:09 am

alf1o1 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:46 pm
Yes, that does work, but then no longer is a mixer and instead is essentially just 4 VCA. But I guess that mode does do what it says on the tin - “dual stereo vca”
Would have been great if they could have made use of the 2 outputs to behave like a stereo mixer in this mode.
This is confusing me, can someone confirm, if you set the jumpers to link the left and right channel controls, surely the l and r output still output the mixed signals of the combined l and r sides respectively? does it function as a 2 channel vc stereo mixer or not?

alf1o1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alf1o1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:05 am

_lampshade_ wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:09 am
alf1o1 wrote:
This is confusing me, can someone confirm, if you set the jumpers to link the left and right channel controls, surely the l and r output still output the mixed signals of the combined l and r sides respectively? does it function as a 2 channel vc stereo mixer or not?
No, from my experience with it, it cannot be used as a stereo mixer unfortunately.
It does not have L and R right outputs per say.
One output is hard wired to be all 4 channels mixed.
The other output you can choose which of the 4 channels are mixed together.
There is no way as far as I can tell to mix 2 channels on one output and the other 2 channels on the other output.

knifey
Veteran Wiggler

Post by knifey » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:27 am

maudibe wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 am
Loving the new range of smaller Doepfer modules. Doepfer rock. Why so cheap? Because.

Nothing to do with quality - all my Doepfer modules are working flawlessly after many years.
Nothing to do with functions - smart patching and thinking will yield great results.
Nothing to do with hype .... and that is probably where it is at. They are not called exotic names that make them cost hundreds of Euros. They are not painted in wild colours with functions that can only be understood if you have the manual open at the right page. They are not so small that you need the tiny hand of Donal Trump to operate or indeed a microscope to read the legends. They are made by the guy that started this ball rolling.

Just my 2 cents :)
Amen.
Also, the description of Doepfer modules are clear, concise, and not trying to be poetic, cryptic, pretentious, or all of the above.
Also, Mr Doepfer himself has continued to remain accessible to the community.
Also, panel-mounted knobs.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:39 pm

Yup to knifey above... looks like my rack is filling with ever more Doepfer (again), especially since they came out with the 'mini' series and decided to make them in black.

I wish they would consider making replacement black panels for some of the (all!) of the gear in the catalog. For example, they do the ratchet controller in black, but not so far, the clock divider, or switches. So yea, I'm mixing and matching, no worries - but it would be nice to update some of my traditional silver greys with the black. In some instances, because of the cost, I would consider buying again just for my new build.

Regarding the mini size and knob / socket placement: No problems, like a perfect balance of form and function. Because the arrangement is knobs on top and sockets on the bottom, logically laid out, the patch cables do not interfere with the controls. A joy.

Hope Mr. Doepfer reads this, and if he does... Happy New Year sir! :)

wrecksmoondee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wrecksmoondee » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:44 am

Has anyone used both the A-135-1 and A-135-2? If so, please describe how the different form factors seem to you. Is there anything you prefer about the original, full-sized version?

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:22 am

Can you get 4 stackcables to fit into 1 row on this module? According to my calipers the stackcables are 10.5mm wide but the module is 40mm across.

I ask because I have some homemade cables that go to banana and 1/4" etc. that I am going to be using if I get the module and the 3.5mm connectors on my homemade cables are the same diameter as the stackcables.
FS: JMT SRV-1 Spring Reverb: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:06 am

I don't have an A-135-2 but I have two of the A-141-4, which also has 4 jacks across in 8 HP. The jack spacing is very slightly narrower than a row of Tiptop Stackcables. You can plug four into one module comfortably enough, but if you have two such modules side by side you can't plug 8 stackcables in a row! (Unless you use a 1HP blank or sliding nuts to get a little more spacing between the modules, I suppose.)

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 am

kpreid wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:06 am
I don't have an A-135-2 but I have two of the A-141-4, which also has 4 jacks across in 8 HP. The jack spacing is very slightly narrower than a row of Tiptop Stackcables. You can plug four into one module comfortably enough, but if you have two such modules side by side you can't plug 8 stackcables in a row! (Unless you use a 1HP blank or sliding nuts to get a little more spacing between the modules, I suppose.)
Thanks so much for letting me know! Now I just have to decide if I want tight spacing but less hp with more functionality, or full sized knobs and more hp with less functionality :hmm: .

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by userfriendly » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm

lisa wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:38 pm
Alright, thanks guys. I'll get it. It'll further my new rack quite a lot and it's $ and hp economical. It also feels good to buy some Doepfer now and then.
Why is that?? I know exactly what you mean though. Every time I pickup a Doepfer module I get a nice warm feeling. Much different then I get when I buy from other companies.

ironthighs91
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ironthighs91 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:51 am

alf1o1 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:05 am
_lampshade_ wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:09 am
alf1o1 wrote:
No, from my experience with it, it cannot be used as a stereo mixer unfortunately.
It does not have L and R right outputs per say.
One output is hard wired to be all 4 channels mixed.
The other output you can choose which of the 4 channels are mixed together.
There is no way as far as I can tell to mix 2 channels on one output and the other 2 channels on the other output.
If you follow the normalization jumper set up, you could mix two signals into 1&2 out and two signals into 3&4. So theoretically you could send 2 different L channels to 1&2 and the 2 corresponding R channels to 3&4. You would then just use the outs on channels 2 and 4 to carry that to your outs. You would get one mixed down mono channel of all 4 audio channels, post-attenuation, out of the Mix output and the channel 1 and 2 mixed and mono'd out of Selected out.

ironthighs91
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ironthighs91 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:25 pm

Whoops. That doesn't work. The normalization is for the inputs, not the outputs.

D Rock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D Rock » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:31 am

Great module. I've been using it to mix down one stage of oscillators so I can slowly control timbre by bringing oscillators closer or further away in the mix. Honestly if I was going back to start eurorack I would buy more doepfer. The value per hp for their new slim line is insane.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 am

I didn't have any doepfer modules when I first started in modular. Now the only modules I have bought months have been doepfer. And the big ones with full size knobs too :)!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by studio460 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Wjbratcher wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:59 pm
Yeah, it looks like you can get them now. Why so cheap?
I don't know why, but these were never even on my radar! Didn't know these existed until I saw this thread!
lisa wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:38 pm
. . . It also feels good to buy some Doepfer now and then.
I know! It's like taking your vitamins! Good for you, good for your rack, and good for your wallet! Giving back to the man who enabled an entire sub-industry also feels good.
bradovic wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:06 pm
. . . The smaller rubberized knobs and plastic pots feel really nice as well.
Just got four Doepfer A-145-4V quad-LFOs and love the tactile feeling of their new rubberized knobs!
maudibe wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:39 pm
. . . especially since they came out with the 'mini' series and decided to make them in black . . . I wish they would consider making replacement black panels for some of the (all!) of the gear in the catalog . . .
Yes! Agreed! The introduction of the black "vintage" series really upped their game, IMO. The new slimline modules look absolutely gorgeous in black:

Sysagent
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sysagent » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 am

Just ordered one of these to hopefully fulfil the duties that the currently unavailable MI Veils does.

:-)
"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."

Return to “Eurorack Modules”