Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by dooj88 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm

rayultine wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 am

Let's say I'm using MI Shades DC output in the Performer CV In to manually draw a shape. How can I hit record, draw in the curve within a single loop of the sequencer, and stop recording before the sequence loops starts to overwrite the curve? Can I get the Performer to run the pattern a single time and then stop? (Don't tell me to buy a Planar! :) )
i'm still learning mine, but would love to hear more about this too. haven't gotten past basic note/gate probability programming yet. think i'll dig into the arpeggiator tonight and maybe see if i can tie it into the external quantization re this awesome video.. hooboy, i gotta read that manual, this isn't a module that rewards blundering through blindly, though rote memorization of functions by returning to same familiar place and branching out further each time has been mildly beneficial.

Lokua wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:35 pm
parasites like tall dog
I understand the sentiment, but Tall Dog doesn't sound like a parasite to me:
viewtopic.php?p=2740094#p2740094

Anyway it's certainly off topic but just wanted to put that link up to perhaps soften your judgement.
appreciate the info, hadn't seen that thread. certainly more ethical getting the blessing of the creator herself.
Xzxz7 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:08 pm
hey there
i have a question regarding the sd card slot... Im trying to format my SD Card but its formatting for 5 hours now.. seems kinda weird... why could that be anyone has an idea?

cheers :)
definitely stuck.. i'd format it via the computer first then let the performer do it's thing.

Xzxz7
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Xzxz7 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:51 am

definitely stuck.. i'd format it via the computer first then let the performer do it's thing.
[/quote]

Thx for the tipp mate! now I'm formatting it on the computer to FAT32 and now the performer is formatting SD Card... so far so good... it's been only 2 minutes... kinda nervous :D

EDIT: 2 hours later. still formatting... WHYYYYY

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:59 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm
rayultine wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 am

Let's say I'm using MI Shades DC output in the Performer CV In to manually draw a shape. How can I hit record, draw in the curve within a single loop of the sequencer, and stop recording before the sequence loops starts to overwrite the curve? Can I get the Performer to run the pattern a single time and then stop? (Don't tell me to buy a Planar! :) )
i'm still learning mine, but would love to hear more about this too. haven't gotten past basic note/gate probability programming yet. think i'll dig into the arpeggiator tonight and maybe see if i can tie it into the external quantization re this awesome video.. hooboy, i gotta read that manual, this isn't a module that rewards blundering through blindly, though rote memorization of functions by returning to same familiar place and branching out further each time has been mildly beneficial.
dooj: I haven't tried this yet because I haven't made music in nearly a month, but I bet a simple solution is to put the clock through a VCA where the gate was opened for a single loop of the pattern and then off for long enough to shut off the clock and/or save the pattern

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:02 pm

sorry to double post, but besides Anthurium's incredibly helpful vids (especially showing the Euclidean and random pattern generation that isn't in the manual), are there are tips n tricks y'all have collected or functionality not in the manual that you have noticed? I looooove this thing.

Made legit Eurorack 3-voice chords last night running my MIDI controller into the Westlicht and out to my CS-L and Braids, then put in a bass sequence on my x0xheart for track 4. heavenly.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 pm

rayultine wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:02 pm
sorry to double post, but besides Anthurium's incredibly helpful vids (especially showing the Euclidean and random pattern generation that isn't in the manual), are there are tips n tricks y'all have collected or functionality not in the manual that you have noticed? I looooove this thing.

Made legit Eurorack 3-voice chords last night running my MIDI controller into the Westlicht and out to my CS-L and Braids, then put in a bass sequence on my x0xheart for track 4. heavenly.
I use the first 4 tracks on Performer to pitch sequence my VCOs. But I like to switch between my Performer and more generative approaches to sequencing. But with generative approaches outside of the Performer I need a quantizer. To maximize space in my rack and live without a dedicated quantizer, I just patch my "generated" CV sequences into the Performers CV ins, and setup 4 routes to each of my Performer pitch tracks. When all of the tracks are set to a single note, you basically are using the Performer as a quantizer. What's cool is those Performer tracks have options to help flex those generated sequences. Using the CV output mode at Always is good for just pass through quantizing, but set to Gate only you get a Sample & Hold. And of course you can still utilize the Performer pitches to transpose like a precision adder. And those 4 transpose routes have ranges! Lots of flexibility here. Only issue is that it actually doesn't work as well as a real dedicated quantizer - timing wise is not perfect - but that could just be my choices of generated pitches coming into the Performer happening too late or too early.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 pm

(oops, deleted)

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 am

Is there a chord mode in performer? Or polyphonic sequencing i guess is what I mean.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 am

no, but it can distribute incoming polyphonic midi signals to separate CV out channels. You can also easily copy and paste one CV/Gate track to the next and transpose that

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 am

So that is midi to cv routing only? You can’t record it?

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 am

Hmm never tried that actually, but since you can only edit one track at a time I imagine you can only record one track at a time cv or midi... I haven't had this thing long enough to answer pro questions. Maybe email the firmware developer?

Also, new firmware update last night!

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 am

does someone know how complete the online documentation is? I've got the feeling, that a lot of newly added functions aren't included.

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 am

The user documentation page states "This document is written for firmware version 0.1.37" - seems mostly up to date to me. What do you think is missing?
http://involucija.org - post-industrial euphoric deprogramming. LP coming soon on a+w.

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 am

I just got the launchpad mini MK2, everything is working fine but I have a slight artifact sound when holding the "1" button on launchpad.
Does anyone have the same experience? Is it possible to solve it?

dip_registered
Common Wiggler

Post by dip_registered » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am

Anyone know of anyone selling a new build?

PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:07 am

dip_registered wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am
I see a couple on reverb.com

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 am

a noobish question, but i'm looking at 3.5mm to midi adapters to send midi data from the sequencer to external gear and found i have no idea what the difference between a stereo 3.5mm jack and a mono one is. does it matter to the performer? given the amount of choices it seems stereo is much more common, but the idea of 'stereo data' is a weird concept to me.

Waldemar
Common Wiggler

Post by Waldemar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 am

dip_registered wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am
Ask him, excellent builder
Attachments
Performer.png
Are you bored or do you want to do something active? Then follow us on our cycling route.
www.indre-waldemar.de/route

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm

sneak-thief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 am
The user documentation page states "This document is written for firmware version 0.1.37" - seems mostly up to date to me. What do you think is missing?
haven't seen that, thanks!

In the past I read discussions on the github page about button combinations that I didn't find in the documentation.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”