Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
Dunk_91
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Dunk_91 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:38 pm

16osc wrote:no docs on them but see my screen shots above for a general idea. screen shot #2 (minus the rightmost "random") is the random generator.

in the online demo :

https://westlicht.github.io/performer/testdrive/

press

alt + s1

then

shift + alt

you'll see the screen show "gen" in the right-most "tab", press the key below and you'll get the generators.

If you can share a pre compiled hex I'll be happily try your version :guinness:

User avatar
MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 am

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 am

16osc wrote:no docs on them but see my screen shots above for a general idea. screen shot #2 (minus the rightmost "random") is the random generator.

in the online demo :

https://westlicht.github.io/performer/testdrive/

press

alt + s1

then

shift + alt

you'll see the screen show "gen" in the right-most "tab", press the key below and you'll get the generators.
That‘s great. Thank you!
I wonder why that is not documented.

Oh, is it not implemented in the newest firmware, yet?

User avatar
MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 am

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 am

16osc wrote:no docs on them but see my screen shots above for a general idea. screen shot #2 (minus the rightmost "random") is the random generator.

in the online demo :

https://westlicht.github.io/performer/testdrive/

press

alt + s1

then

shift + alt

you'll see the screen show "gen" in the right-most "tab", press the key below and you'll get the generators.
That‘s great. Thank you!
I wonder why that is not documented.

User avatar
Bogus
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Post by Bogus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:19 am

Anyone got a total build cost estimate? I'm really interested by this sequencer :-)

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Dunk_91 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 am

For those interested in trying the 16osc modded firmware here you can find the bootloader and sequencer .hex files.
I've already flashed and quick random is very useful :yay:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3rtbp93m72fb ... r.hex?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s235zeaw6eywr ... r.hex?dl=0

:guinness:

User avatar
Roni
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Roni » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 am

Bogus wrote:Anyone got a total build cost estimate? I'm really interested by this sequencer :-)
I built it when it first came out and, from memory, total parts were approx $250AUD. Don't know where you're from so I'll let you do the conversion.

User avatar
Southfork
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 676
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Post by Southfork » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 am

Dunk_91 wrote:For those interested in trying the 16osc modded firmware here you can find the bootloader and sequencer .hex files.
I've already flashed and quick random is very useful :yay:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3rtbp93m72fb ... r.hex?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s235zeaw6eywr ... r.hex?dl=0

:guinness:
Thanks at last i can try this modded firmware :nana: :bananaguitar: :banana:

User avatar
Bartelby
Common Wiggler
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm
Location: Penperlleni, Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by Bartelby » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am

Roni wrote:
Bogus wrote:Anyone got a total build cost estimate? I'm really interested by this sequencer :-)
I built it when it first came out and, from memory, total parts were approx $250AUD. Don't know where you're from so I'll let you do the conversion.

I got one of the first sets of Panel/pcb for not a lot (Less than £20 IIRC) the components from Mouser came to about £140.

I've had all the parts for months. but not built it yet.

User avatar
veets
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:54 pm
Location: New York's Finger Lakes
Contact:

Post by veets » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:17 am

I see that Pusherman sold panels and PCBs for this project but no longer has them in stock. I don't see them anywhere else. Any one have an idea if PM will be restocking or if there is another source?

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Post by Ebotronix » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 am

I miss the /16 division in the Time Signature Menu.
for 15/16 or 17/16 even in the odd Signatures.

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: Uk

Post by Just another rookie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:08 am

Wow!
You really went to town with the song mode update!

:yay:
Thank you.

This thing is :bananaguitar: :nana: :banana:

16osc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 pm

Post by 16osc » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Dunk_91 wrote:For those interested in trying the 16osc modded firmware here you can find the bootloader and sequencer .hex files.
I've already flashed and quick random is very useful :yay:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3rtbp93m72fb ... r.hex?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s235zeaw6eywr ... r.hex?dl=0

:guinness:
Ah thanks for that. Sorry I wasn't around the forum for a bit and sorry to the person who PM'd me a long time ago and I didn't respond. As usual I made a simple thing (uploading a file) hard for myself.

Anyway, comments are welcome. It is a great sequencer and the open-source aspect makes it even better. I haven't messed with the code for a bit but I really want to add a mode to randomize gate's + notes all at once. Really love the random on the Erica Pico Sequencer and on the Social Entropy Engine. Need something like those on this.

I could also see adding some generative type things (marbles or turing machine type things).

Also, the four CV inputs are very fun. I've not looked into what would be involved with adding more functions to those.

I added a swing adjustment shortcut as well. On the tempo screen hold down pattern (I think) and turn the knob to adjust swing. I submitted a patch but the OS maintainer has not integrated it yet (if ever). I find it helpful at least.

User avatar
MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 am

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:14 am

16osc wrote:
Ah thanks for that. Sorry I wasn't around the forum for a bit and sorry to the person who PM'd me a long time ago and I didn't respond. As usual I made a simple thing (uploading a file) hard for myself.

Anyway, comments are welcome. It is a great sequencer and the open-source aspect makes it even better. I haven't messed with the code for a bit but I really want to add a mode to randomize gate's + notes all at once. Really love the random on the Erica Pico Sequencer and on the Social Entropy Engine. Need something like those on this.

I could also see adding some generative type things (marbles or turing machine type things).

Also, the four CV inputs are very fun. I've not looked into what would be involved with adding more functions to those.

I added a swing adjustment shortcut as well. On the tempo screen hold down pattern (I think) and turn the knob to adjust swing. I submitted a patch but the OS maintainer has not integrated it yet (if ever). I find it helpful at least.
This is great and I will definitely give it a try!

Could I request a function for a future update?
I love to change octaves on the fly and afaik now you have to go to a page and scroll down to the octave setting.
I think the rightmost button underneath the screen has no function on the performance page. It would be great if that could be used to switch octaves!

What do you think?

mongrol
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by mongrol » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:03 am

Has anyone managed how to get a MIDI2CV track to convert CC to CV? It only appears to do note/velocity/pressure, with pressure not actually doing anything. Kinda hampers it's ability as a true midi2cv converter. If it doesn't do it and I'm not just missing something I'll file a feature request.

User avatar
MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 am

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 am

What would I need to learn in order to adjust/expand the firmware myself?

I am NOT a coder an don‘t have the slightest idea how complicated it is to work on firmware myself.
But it would be so lovely to just try out all the ideas I have!

I also have a Vector sequencer which I absolutely LOVE!
But while Jim, the developer, updates the firmware regularly there have been suggestions for simple/logical/magical functionality additions as far back as january 2019 that have not been implemented, yet.

Maybe the Performer could be a platform to speed up the process oneself.

User avatar
forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by forestcaver » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:05 am

Depends what you want to do! You may need to only know a bare minimum if you just want to tweak something. But if you want to understand it you’d need to know: linux command line tools, gcc toolchain including compiler flags and use of gdb, freertos, libopencm3, c++, cmake and understand the datasheets for eg the stm32, the codec and the drivers for the display, etc.
Then you’d need some knowledge of how to implement what you want eg midi protocols, usb protocols, dsp knowledge, comfortable programming and debugging at low level embedded systems....

But the easiest way is just get on and try to make changes, see what happens and learn as you go.... the code is really well-organised and easy to follow with a nice build environment.... just go for it....

User avatar
Thedoge
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Thedoge » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi guys, mi performer has suddenly stopped sending any clock out signal, any tip what could be happening? :(
I've loaded older versions of the firmware just in case it was a bug or something on the latest but it still remains :doh:

it looks like it sends a hold gate

User avatar
MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 am

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:38 am

forestcaver wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:05 am
Depends what you want to do! You may need to only know a bare minimum if you just want to tweak something. But if you want to understand it you’d need to know: linux command line tools, gcc toolchain including compiler flags and use of gdb, freertos, libopencm3, c++, cmake and understand the datasheets for eg the stm32, the codec and the drivers for the display, etc.
Then you’d need some knowledge of how to implement what you want eg midi protocols, usb protocols, dsp knowledge, comfortable programming and debugging at low level embedded systems....

But the easiest way is just get on and try to make changes, see what happens and learn as you go.... the code is really well-organised and easy to follow with a nice build environment.... just go for it....
Thank you!
Looks like a lot of knowledge, but just tweaking to start out is a good tip.

User avatar
forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by forestcaver » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:21 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:38 am
Thank you!
Looks like a lot of knowledge, but just tweaking to start out is a good tip.
Yeah - with most of this stuff - there is an overwhelming amount of new knowledge needed at the start and the learning curve seems precipitous but it’s usually very doable to just start small and pick it up as you go - usually just starting is the hard bit !!! Once you start, you tend to pick it up quicky.... if a suggestion is helpful - I’d set up the vagrant dev environment first, build the firmware, make sure it works, then try to make one tiny trivial change somewhere and then iterate and expand etc....

User avatar
Switchzik
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:41 am

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Switchzik » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:28 am

Hi everyone.
I'm on the fence between this one and the beatstep pro.
I'm looking for a very capable sequencer for 1-2 pitch sequence and 4-5 drums with interesting live tweaks but also simple to use, not too much programming.
Maybe if you guys have both and can help me with it :)

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 13996
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by sduck » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:16 pm

I'm a bit confused by the retrigger feature. It works, but it seems that if you set it to 2 retriggers, for instance, those two gates/triggers are clumped up near the front of the beat, and not distributed evenly. I want it to fire the second trigger right in the middle of the beat, not where it's happening - does anyone know a way to fix this?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 am

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Dunk_91 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:02 am

sduck wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:16 pm
I'm a bit confused by the retrigger feature. It works, but it seems that if you set it to 2 retriggers, for instance, those two gates/triggers are clumped up near the front of the beat, and not distributed evenly. I want it to fire the second trigger right in the middle of the beat, not where it's happening - does anyone know a way to fix this?
I've asked it to the developer a while ago, the issue should be still on github. He says that he was planning a new track mode wich in some way implements evenly spaced retrigger, but unfortunately the development of this fantastic sequencer went almost stopped so it never seen the light. However for a person with a bit of coding knowledge should be a breeze to change the retrigger spacing in the code.

https://github.com/westlicht/performer/issues/50

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 13996
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by sduck » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Thanks. i also added a request for my specific issue on github.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 am

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Dunk_91 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:40 am

sduck wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:09 pm
Thanks. i also added a request for my specific issue on github.
I've seen westlicht's reply to your issue, made a lot of sense. I've totally missed the trick to set longer step to change retrigger density :despair:

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 13996
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by sduck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Yes, I was able to get it working the way I wanted it to - just had to realize how it works.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”