Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Staticcharge » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:20 am

This is an interesting alternative version of the firmware.

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am

is this sequencer still being developed?

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:47 pm

The latest update was in January, and the developer responded to an email I sent him a few weeks ago, so I'd guess yes.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:00 am

excellent, thanks for the reply.

fluid_movement
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fluid_movement » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:03 am

Im having problems with MIDI, specifically syncing the Performer with my Digitakt and getting Note info from my Keystep.

Digitakt:
Performer is set to USB RX and TX in the clock menu, Digitakt is set to USB MIDI. What i expect is to press play on one of the devices and the other one to start in sync. Is this possible?

Keystep:
Ive tried connecting the keystep via usb too, sending note data doesnt work. It does however power it, and if i set "CV/Gate Input" on the project page i can play the current track by sending cv from the Keystep. I would rather send i via MIDI though, to keep the cv channels free if possible. I have a Midi TRS to DIn MIDI adapter, but i suspect its the wrong format because sending MIDI doesnt work here either

Anyone have any experience with this?
Cheers!

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 am

does anyone know if this sequencer will allow for live cv changing of values? (if set to curve track will the cv output update when I move the encoder?)

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Like a "takeover" mode where moving the encoder will just take over at the CV output regardless of the sequence that has been registered, like how the Malekko Voltage block works? Not exactly, but you can accomplish something similar and IMO more powerful.

Hitting the shift button twice will select all steps in a sequence. Now you are basically in a multi-edit state, but that is also like a takeover / immediate mode assuming the pattern you are editing is also the active pattern. On a note track, changes with the encoder at this time will move everything up or down and whatever the current step is will be output. What is cool is that those encoder changes apply to the steps relative to where they are set, so if you had different notes you are essentially performing a live transposition.

In Curve mode if you just want to use the encoder as a live offset, don't use any curves, select all steps and adjust the MIN (or MAX) value to live output for that track.

You can also just plug a keyboard into the thing.

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:30 am

Hey,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes basically what I wanted was that when the sequencer is stopped, I can move the encoder around to find a value I need whilst it immediately sends it out of the cv output (useful for dialling in preset changes on other modules etc).

I will try out the method you suggested for curve tracks.

Cheers

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:36 am

Great, your curve track idea works well. Though the sequencer must be playing for this to work. It would be good if this would work when the sequencer is stopped too.

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 am

fluid_movement wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:03 am
Im having problems with MIDI, specifically syncing the Performer with my Digitakt and getting Note info from my Keystep.

Digitakt:
Performer is set to USB RX and TX in the clock menu, Digitakt is set to USB MIDI. What i expect is to press play on one of the devices and the other one to start in sync. Is this possible?

Keystep:
Ive tried connecting the keystep via usb too, sending note data doesnt work. It does however power it, and if i set "CV/Gate Input" on the project page i can play the current track by sending cv from the Keystep. I would rather send i via MIDI though, to keep the cv channels free if possible. I have a Midi TRS to DIn MIDI adapter, but i suspect its the wrong format because sending MIDI doesnt work here either

Cheers!
Digitakt yes. Keystep USB isn’t compatible. Din works though so perhaps your trs is wrong. Which one is it?

cathmart
Common Wiggler

Post by cathmart » Tue May 05, 2020 2:39 am

hi, so i'v just finished building a Performer, had some trouble with the STM but almost all good now ...HOWEVER...everything works great, even the sd card to save...but the CV out doesn't seem to work.....1 to 4 output a consent 7.57v..... 5 to 8 output a constant 11.17v
should that just be a mechanical thing, IE the soldering of the jacks, it cant be a setup thing? but its all of them, like its a software thing? any ideas? thanks.

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Tue May 05, 2020 7:47 am

Can anyone recommend a good trs midi cable adapter with the correct polarity to use with this module? Thanks! :party:

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Tue May 05, 2020 9:54 am

dadRabbit wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:47 am
Can anyone recommend a good trs midi cable adapter with the correct polarity to use with this module? Thanks! :party:
I just took two female stereo jacks and some heat shrink and made my own. You could sacrifice a 3.5mm stereo cable and splice it yourself. Sometimes a simple solution is the best one.

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

fluid_movement
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fluid_movement » Wed May 06, 2020 3:47 pm

mongrol wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 am
fluid_movement wrote:

Digitakt:

Keystep:

Cheers!
Digitakt yes. Keystep USB isn’t compatible. Din works though so perhaps your trs is wrong. Which one is it?
Ok i think i was using the wrong type of adapter for the DIN MIDI to TRS.

Regarding the Digitakt integration, has anyone got this running over usb? I really just want to send transport, dont care which is the master as long as it works! I would just really love to get my Digitakt in sync with my system.

cathmart
Common Wiggler

Post by cathmart » Wed May 13, 2020 4:15 pm

HARDWARE SEQUENCER, MIDI COMPATIBILITY. is there a list of compatible/non compatible hardware sequences/keyboards, like there is with surface control devices? From my experience and what I can find in this furum the Aurtura stuff is NON COMPLIANT! IS this correct????

fluid_movement
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fluid_movement » Sun May 17, 2020 1:05 pm

mongrol wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 am
fluid_movement wrote:

Digitakt:

Keystep:

Cheers!
I still havent been able to sync the Digitakt and Performer.
On the Performer i have MIDI and USB Rs and Tx enabled, ive tried setting it to all three modes (Auto/Master/Slave).
On the Digitakt i haveClock send and receive enabled in the Midi Sync settings, in the ports setting i have "output to" set to MIDI and USB.

Am i doing something wrong? Is there a way for me to test if the usb port on the performer is actually working?

napoleonthegreat94
1-Post Wiggler

Post by napoleonthegreat94 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:53 am

The teenage engineering midi cable kit works right with the midi in/out of the performer. It is type A.
This is a great sequencer and there is only ONE thing that i miss on the latest update.
I wonder if someone could make a firmware with finer percentages of gate offset.
As the creator has mentioned in github, this feature would consume valuable memory resources and thus it cannot be implemented.
It would however make a HUGE difference, far more than the retrigger layer makes in my opinion, for instance!
Spontaneous but fine control of gate offsets and tempo fluncuations is something that we miss in electronic music. These things make the instrumentalists really groove with each other and finer gate offset is a big step towards that:)
Thank you for this great sequencer!

rickrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rickrick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:21 am

Do anyone knows how to prevent playing MIDI notes on the active track in the note mode? Im using peformer as a slave and MPC as a master, with some of the sequences programmed on MPC and some on Performer and I don't want the sequences programmed on MPC to be played on the performer while in step mode. The only way I found to prevent this on performer set the particular MIDI channel on unused track so it won't trigger messages coming from this channel on other tracks. Its seems a bit odd for me or am I missing something?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:39 pm

I would like to find out about the level of difficulty for assembling this module and the specific equipment that I would need.

For now I have some successful DIY projects:
THT:
Befaco Muxlicer, Fonitronik Cascade

SMD:
MI Ripples, MI Veils, StModular Fay, Tryfelo, Path and Boba Fat.

Is that enough to try Performer?

mattip
Common Wiggler

Post by mattip » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:26 pm

I only did Ripples before this one. Worked fine. Ordinary soldering iron and lead free solder + lots of flux. The hard part is to decide how you want to handle the height of the buttons.

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:33 am

Build is quite easy, especially if you have SMD experience. It's 0603 and some 0.5mm pitch components but there's lots of room on the board. As mattip said the only troublesome part is how to deal with button heights if you don't have a 1.6mm panel. I know that there's a version out there that uses Thonkiconn jacks. I think that will allow for normal button clearance using a normal 2mm panel.

Jokke
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Jokke » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:15 pm

This module seems awesome! But as many stated before, my soldering skills might not be up to par...
Does anyone have any tips or links to any other cool and usefull DIY modules? I'm gonna try to work my way up to this one.

mattip
Common Wiggler

Post by mattip » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Maybe some nonlinearcircuits? That are not that difficult but smd.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Control has a couple Performers available right now, if anyone is anxious for one. I suspect they’re brand new builds. A lot of sequencer for $450.

Trashcan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Trashcan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:49 am

Just built one yesterday, I am not particularly good at smd soldering, but my drag soldering all fell into place, and I've only got the screen to fit and am awaiting arrival of the USB socket.
I have a question though what have you guys used to flash it with? I have a USB ASP and a st link v2 are any of these suitable? Can't find much about it in the manual, thanks!
Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to, weren't never there! And where you are, ain't no good unless you can get away from it!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”