Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by dooj88 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm

rayultine wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 am

Let's say I'm using MI Shades DC output in the Performer CV In to manually draw a shape. How can I hit record, draw in the curve within a single loop of the sequencer, and stop recording before the sequence loops starts to overwrite the curve? Can I get the Performer to run the pattern a single time and then stop? (Don't tell me to buy a Planar! :) )
i'm still learning mine, but would love to hear more about this too. haven't gotten past basic note/gate probability programming yet. think i'll dig into the arpeggiator tonight and maybe see if i can tie it into the external quantization re this awesome video.. hooboy, i gotta read that manual, this isn't a module that rewards blundering through blindly, though rote memorization of functions by returning to same familiar place and branching out further each time has been mildly beneficial.


Lokua wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:35 pm
parasites like tall dog
I understand the sentiment, but Tall Dog doesn't sound like a parasite to me:
viewtopic.php?p=2740094#p2740094

Anyway it's certainly off topic but just wanted to put that link up to perhaps soften your judgement.
appreciate the info, hadn't seen that thread. certainly more ethical getting the blessing of the creator herself.
Xzxz7 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:08 pm
hey there
i have a question regarding the sd card slot... Im trying to format my SD Card but its formatting for 5 hours now.. seems kinda weird... why could that be anyone has an idea?

cheers :)
definitely stuck.. i'd format it via the computer first then let the performer do it's thing.

Xzxz7
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Xzxz7 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:51 am

definitely stuck.. i'd format it via the computer first then let the performer do it's thing.
[/quote]

Thx for the tipp mate! now I'm formatting it on the computer to FAT32 and now the performer is formatting SD Card... so far so good... it's been only 2 minutes... kinda nervous :D

EDIT: 2 hours later. still formatting... WHYYYYY

User avatar
rayultine
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Memphis TN

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by rayultine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:59 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm
rayultine wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 am

Let's say I'm using MI Shades DC output in the Performer CV In to manually draw a shape. How can I hit record, draw in the curve within a single loop of the sequencer, and stop recording before the sequence loops starts to overwrite the curve? Can I get the Performer to run the pattern a single time and then stop? (Don't tell me to buy a Planar! :) )
i'm still learning mine, but would love to hear more about this too. haven't gotten past basic note/gate probability programming yet. think i'll dig into the arpeggiator tonight and maybe see if i can tie it into the external quantization re this awesome video.. hooboy, i gotta read that manual, this isn't a module that rewards blundering through blindly, though rote memorization of functions by returning to same familiar place and branching out further each time has been mildly beneficial.
dooj: I haven't tried this yet because I haven't made music in nearly a month, but I bet a simple solution is to put the clock through a VCA where the gate was opened for a single loop of the pattern and then off for long enough to shut off the clock and/or save the pattern

User avatar
rayultine
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Memphis TN

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by rayultine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:02 pm

sorry to double post, but besides Anthurium's incredibly helpful vids (especially showing the Euclidean and random pattern generation that isn't in the manual), are there are tips n tricks y'all have collected or functionality not in the manual that you have noticed? I looooove this thing.

Made legit Eurorack 3-voice chords last night running my MIDI controller into the Westlicht and out to my CS-L and Braids, then put in a bass sequence on my x0xheart for track 4. heavenly.

User avatar
Lokua
Common Wiggler
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:26 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Lokua » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 pm

rayultine wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:02 pm
sorry to double post, but besides Anthurium's incredibly helpful vids (especially showing the Euclidean and random pattern generation that isn't in the manual), are there are tips n tricks y'all have collected or functionality not in the manual that you have noticed? I looooove this thing.

Made legit Eurorack 3-voice chords last night running my MIDI controller into the Westlicht and out to my CS-L and Braids, then put in a bass sequence on my x0xheart for track 4. heavenly.
I use the first 4 tracks on Performer to pitch sequence my VCOs. But I like to switch between my Performer and more generative approaches to sequencing. But with generative approaches outside of the Performer I need a quantizer. To maximize space in my rack and live without a dedicated quantizer, I just patch my "generated" CV sequences into the Performers CV ins, and setup 4 routes to each of my Performer pitch tracks. When all of the tracks are set to a single note, you basically are using the Performer as a quantizer. What's cool is those Performer tracks have options to help flex those generated sequences. Using the CV output mode at Always is good for just pass through quantizing, but set to Gate only you get a Sample & Hold. And of course you can still utilize the Performer pitches to transpose like a precision adder. And those 4 transpose routes have ranges! Lots of flexibility here. Only issue is that it actually doesn't work as well as a real dedicated quantizer - timing wise is not perfect - but that could just be my choices of generated pitches coming into the Performer happening too late or too early.

User avatar
Lokua
Common Wiggler
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:26 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Lokua » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 pm

(oops, deleted)

escargot
Common Wiggler
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by escargot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 am

Is there a chord mode in performer? Or polyphonic sequencing i guess is what I mean.

User avatar
rayultine
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Memphis TN

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by rayultine » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 am

no, but it can distribute incoming polyphonic midi signals to separate CV out channels. You can also easily copy and paste one CV/Gate track to the next and transpose that

escargot
Common Wiggler
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by escargot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 am

So that is midi to cv routing only? You can’t record it?

User avatar
rayultine
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Memphis TN

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by rayultine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 am

Hmm never tried that actually, but since you can only edit one track at a time I imagine you can only record one track at a time cv or midi... I haven't had this thing long enough to answer pro questions. Maybe email the firmware developer?

Also, new firmware update last night!

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by MvK » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 am

does someone know how complete the online documentation is? I've got the feeling, that a lot of newly added functions aren't included.

User avatar
sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by sneak-thief » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 am

The user documentation page states "This document is written for firmware version 0.1.37" - seems mostly up to date to me. What do you think is missing?
http://involucija.org - post-industrial euphoric deprogramming. LP coming soon on a+w.

Hales
Common Wiggler
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:22 am
Location: Strasbourg, France

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Hales » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 am

I just got the launchpad mini MK2, everything is working fine but I have a slight artifact sound when holding the "1" button on launchpad.
Does anyone have the same experience? Is it possible to solve it?

dip_registered
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by dip_registered » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am

Anyone know of anyone selling a new build?

User avatar
PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:19 pm
Location: Cape Cod
Contact:

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by PolarIceCaves » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:07 am

dip_registered wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am
Anyone know of anyone selling a new build?
I see a couple on reverb.com

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by dooj88 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 am

a noobish question, but i'm looking at 3.5mm to midi adapters to send midi data from the sequencer to external gear and found i have no idea what the difference between a stereo 3.5mm jack and a mono one is. does it matter to the performer? given the amount of choices it seems stereo is much more common, but the idea of 'stereo data' is a weird concept to me.

User avatar
Waldemar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:47 am
Location: Mettmann, Germany, La Palma, Canary Island

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Waldemar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 am

dip_registered wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am
Anyone know of anyone selling a new build?
Ask him, excellent builder
Attachments
Performer.png
Are you bored or do you want to do something active? Then follow us on our cycling route.
www.indre-waldemar.de/route

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by MvK » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm

sneak-thief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 am
The user documentation page states "This document is written for firmware version 0.1.37" - seems mostly up to date to me. What do you think is missing?
haven't seen that, thanks!

In the past I read discussions on the github page about button combinations that I didn't find in the documentation.

User avatar
vasculator
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 744
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:39 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by vasculator » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:48 am

Whatever you do, don't (try to) buy one from Helic.al / Todd Sines on Reverb. They will miss all their stated deadlines and not respond to any communication unless its to deny a refund request. Now they claim they shipped it yesterday despite USPS not having any item from them... Look at the other Reverb comments and avoid buying this vaporware from them...

Also, really wish Reverb would stop letting people claim something has "shipped" because they printed a label at USPS.com. It's been 8 days since they marked it as shipped, but have only printed a label. So they'll get their "Quick Shipper" claim which is total BS.
SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

ihav2p
Common Wiggler
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by ihav2p » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:47 pm

I also had problems buying a performer from Todd Sines. Never got the item and was one of the worst transactions I've ever had. Avoid like the plague!
vasculator wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:48 am
Whatever you do, don't (try to) buy one from Helic.al / Todd Sines on Reverb. They will miss all their stated deadlines and not respond to any communication unless its to deny a refund request. Now they claim they shipped it yesterday despite USPS not having any item from them... Look at the other Reverb comments and avoid buying this vaporware from them...

Also, really wish Reverb would stop letting people claim something has "shipped" because they printed a label at USPS.com. It's been 8 days since they marked it as shipped, but have only printed a label. So they'll get their "Quick Shipper" claim which is total BS.

User avatar
Overand
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: Maine, United States

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Overand » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:51 pm

ihav2p wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:47 pm
I also had problems buying a performer from Todd Sines. Never got the item and was one of the worst transactions I've ever had. Avoid like the plague!
vasculator wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:48 am
Whatever you do, don't (try to) buy one from Helic.al / Todd Sines on Reverb. They will miss all their stated deadlines and not respond to any communication unless its to deny a refund request. Now they claim they shipped it yesterday despite USPS not having any item from them... Look at the other Reverb comments and avoid buying this vaporware from them...
So, I got mine from Todd Sines / Helic.al. It definitely took longer than expected for him to ship it out (weeks rather than days), but it did arrive. The build quality? Mixed. The solder jobs themselves look very good, to my "mostly done thru-hole, but a little SMD" eyes. The jacks aren't "aligned" in that the plastic housings aren't perfectly straight with the faceplate off, but actual relevant alignment seems fine.

Everything works fine (except either the TRS/MIDI cable or the midi jack- TBD). But, there is what I'd consider a significant issue. Without having looked super closely at other builds, I can't speak to this, but - the buttons are very nearly flush with the faceplate, and the LEDs are raised. I'll attach a photo momentarily; in it, you'll see it next to an Ornament and Crime, with similar buttons. (I also "lifted" but button caps up, so, you'll see some of them are less flush; this is a temporary fix, as they work themselves back down with use).

I talked to Todd about this, and he didn't believe it was a problem. I discussed part numbers, and he said he used what was on the BOM. So, either he didn't, or parts changed, or the BOM lists parts that are a bit fiddly for use!

If you look at the buttons on the right, T1 / Project is an example of how they all were - notice that the LED behind it is up a mm or two higher than the button. (The rest are all "pulled up" as a result of me removing them and reinstalling, but firm pressure pushes them right back to nearly flush, like how T1 is)
883AA8EE-8321-41FF-A465-AF95C7FF12A0.jpeg
Attributes:They/them, Queer, Enby, Poly*, Anti-hierarchy, Nature/Tech Weirdo
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: Euro | MOTM
WTB: SynthTech E352/E370, Euro VCAs, Mixers, Env Followers
Building the modular since ~2003

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 14087
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by sduck » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:57 pm

T1 does seem a bit low. Is it still useable? I know different people have different tolerances for details like this. (I don't have a card in the todd sines game)

Here's what mine looks like, and it was a very early build using just the BOM parts. I remember that early on there were complaints about the button heights, and there's a second BOM out there that has some small changes to address this. For instance, the 5 long buttons on mine are flush with the panel - I don't find that to be a problem, although others do.
IMG_2893.jpg
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

User avatar
Overand
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: Maine, United States

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Overand » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:51 pm

sduck wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:57 pm
T1 does seem a bit low. Is it still useable? I know different people have different tolerances for details like this. (I don't have a card in the todd sines game)
It's usable, but frustrating - it requires a fair bit of finger smushing; The top of the button ends up essentially perfectly level with the panel, when fully depressed.

The LEDs are higher up than the buttons, which means that you're feeling for the things that are recessed, which is kinda the opposite of how user interfaces typically are. And, given the relatively high density of buttons & LEDs, pressing a button that's recessed lower than the LEDs means you're also pressing the LEDs, or very nearly so. (There's not really room for a finger between them). See below for an illustration? EDIT: Fun fact - 2 minutes after taking the photo, I pressed t2 and it also squished back down to its original spot.
IMG_20201028_224455.jpg
IMG_20201028_224539.jpg
But, yes, my original reason for posting here was to find out if this is actually a typical situation with the PERFORMER, or if it's specific to mine / Todd's. I'd definitely like to peruse an alternative BOM; hopefully I wouldn't have to desolder all the switches, but that would be OK if needed.
Last edited by Overand on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attributes:They/them, Queer, Enby, Poly*, Anti-hierarchy, Nature/Tech Weirdo
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: Euro | MOTM
WTB: SynthTech E352/E370, Euro VCAs, Mixers, Env Followers
Building the modular since ~2003

User avatar
rayultine
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Memphis TN

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by rayultine » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 pm

yeah, that's how it is on mine. The ergonomics takes some getting used to. Worth it.

User avatar
Overand
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: Maine, United States

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by Overand » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:55 pm

rayultine wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 pm
yeah, that's how it is on mine. The ergonomics takes some getting used to. Worth it.
I love the sequencer already, to be clear! But, I think it's probably worth it for me to try to get more appropriate sizes of switch or button
Attributes:They/them, Queer, Enby, Poly*, Anti-hierarchy, Nature/Tech Weirdo
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: Euro | MOTM
WTB: SynthTech E352/E370, Euro VCAs, Mixers, Env Followers
Building the modular since ~2003

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”