Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by jkanizzle » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:53 pm

vasculator wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:25 pm
Electro Something wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:05 pm
vasculator wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:36 pm
Artaos wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:14 am
Does anyone on here would like to recommend a builder that DIY’d their Westlicht Performer?
There are 4 Westlicht Performers in the 'used' section at Ctrl Mod right now. I bet they will tell you who made them if you ask and that they aren't used. Psyched for this 1.40 release!
...make that 3 in Ctrl Mod right now. Yoink! :hyper: I'm psyched to join the Performer party!
:sb: that's awesome. it's by far my favorite sequencer w/ a screen. i highly recommend picking up a launchpad 2 mini to go w/ it!
Any reason the 2 vs the 3?????

vasculator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vasculator » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:18 pm

mostly because it's $20 less and doesn't have the labels on the function buttons. the mini mk1-3, S, X, Pro, and MK2 are all supported.
SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Ahhhh, totally see that with the lablels after looking at the manual. Pulling the trigger now, and my Performer is currently scheduled to arrive on Friday. Thanks to everyone in this thread for convincing me. Pairing it up with my I0 Flux for percussion duties and seeing where these powerhouse sequencers take me....

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 am

dooj88 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:21 am
its fun to play live loops with a keystep!
Dope! But how exactly does a KSP interact with the Performer? I’ve never really connected tel sequencers to one another.

And can the Performer record CV from other sequencers? Like if I created something cool on my KSP or Varigate, can I record that into the Performer without having to program each note manually?

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:30 am

rayultine wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 pm
https://github.com/westlicht/performer/ ... ag/v0.1.40

Bachelard,
A few of our big requests have been fulfilled! :D
Ooh! I totally missed that. No wonder Simon closed/addressed a couple of my github requests this week (basically saying he hasn't implemented them, which I totally respect) :hihi:

Bummer I'm going away for 10 days starting tomorrow for a work retreat (i.e., I won't be bringing bleep bloopy toys). I'll have to try 1.40 when I get back.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am

Electro Something wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 am
dooj88 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:21 am
its fun to play live loops with a keystep!
Dope! But how exactly does a KSP interact with the Performer? I’ve never really connected tel sequencers to one another.

And can the Performer record CV from other sequencers? Like if I created something cool on my KSP or Varigate, can I record that into the Performer without having to program each note manually?
midi out of keystep ->midi din 3.5mm jack (type b i want to say?) to midi in on performer. setting up an arpeggio on the keystep and setting the performer to do arpeggios on top of the incoming sequence is really fun.

it can record sequences, but i haven't done much beyond testing it out. there's a shift+play button combo that arms recording mode.

Lolo73
Common Wiggler

Post by Lolo73 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:57 am

I've just bought one, and I have an issue : after a few moment playing with the sequencer, I still can't get my notes right. The melodies are really ugly.

So I plugged a voltmeter on the the different outputs, and I see a big issue : all voltages are wrong, like if they are offsetted by -5 V
So I tried to calibrate it : it's impossible to reach positive voltage with the outputs ! When I turn the encoder in the "cal" menu, the output voltage stays below 0V, whatever number of turns I do. And this is the same behaviour with all outputs, they vary only between -10v and 0v instead of -5v to + 5v

So, either I don't understand something, or the sequencer is broken.
All digital functions are working well (sequences, tracks, gates, etc.) but with very wrong voltages : I suspect the op amp stage to be guilty.

Any clues ?

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:33 am

What dac did you use? What voltage reference did you use? As it’s non commercial I assume you built it - can you list the parts you bought?

Lolo73
Common Wiggler

Post by Lolo73 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:51 am

I didn't build it, but bought it already built. I try to understand before sending it back to the seller.

Lolo73
Common Wiggler

Post by Lolo73 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:53 am

forestcaver wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:33 am
What dac did you use? What voltage reference did you use? As it’s non commercial I assume you built it - can you list the parts you bought?
What do you mean by "What voltage reference did you use" ?

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:48 pm

Lolo73 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:51 am
I didn't build it, but bought it already built. I try to understand before sending it back to the seller.
Ah !! I see ! It’s a non-commercial licence so your seller was violating the licence terms. As they are selling it in violation of the licence terms they may well not be a reputable seller so you may well be out of luck.

I also note that someone has posted a similar GitHub issue on the performer GitHub page (using identical spelling and words as yourself). If this is indeed a hardware issue, it seems a little unfair for them to be raising it as a github issue and expecting the designer to respond, as the module has been released as open source. If the person who raised the github issue also bought the module commercially, then that seems doubly unfair to me and will discourage other designers from generously donating their designs if they are expected to support commercial sellers when the licence is explicitly non-commercial.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Lolo73 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:53 am
forestcaver wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:33 am
What do you mean by "What voltage reference did you use" ?
If you look at the schematic you will see the precision voltage reference that is specified. As the design is open source (and non-commercial) you can check all the parts easily as well as debug hardware errors. The firmware is open source so you can build the firmware yourself and debug any issues. This means the designer has no moral or financial oblligation to support builds that have errors - the design and firmware are proven to work, so any hardware issues are your own responsibility to sort out....
I assumed you had built it yourself (as that is what the licence says) - if so, you’d know which precision voltage reference you’d installed.... apologies for not realising you had bought it.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 pm

My first question would be - are you sure you have the positive and negative terminals on your DMM or whatever you're using connected correctly? As I don't think it's even possible for this device to only put out negative voltages. Make sure you reset everything you changed in the calibration menu before proceeding - if you applied some weird offset, then yes, it might make everything appear to be negative voltages. (in system page, press shift+page, then press init)
Last edited by sduck on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Lolo73
Common Wiggler

Post by Lolo73 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:11 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:48 pm
Lolo73 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:51 am
Ah !! I see ! It’s a non-commercial licence so your seller was violating the licence terms. As they are selling it in violation of the licence terms they may well not be a reputable seller so you may well be out of luck.

I also note that someone has posted a similar GitHub issue on the performer GitHub page (using identical spelling and words as yourself). If this is indeed a hardware issue, it seems a little unfair for them to be raising it as a github issue and expecting the designer to respond, as the module has been released as open source. If the person who raised the github issue also bought the module commercially, then that seems doubly unfair to me and will discourage other designers from generously donating their designs if they are expected to support commercial sellers when the licence is explicitly non-commercial.
You're right, thanks, I have deleted my github issue.

cathmart
Common Wiggler

Post by cathmart » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm having a small problem with a PER|FORMER sequencer build. There is only 2.3v going to the screen, so it doesn't work. Ive checked around the 3.3v net but some of the points are 3.3v and some 2.3v. I cant find the root of the problem? any ideas? electrolytic caps? the LM1117's the 3 leg side is 3.3v the big leg is 2.3v. I've changed them for new ones, no change. Tripple checked they are 3.3v that I ordered.

Lolo73
Common Wiggler

Post by Lolo73 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:40 pm

sduck wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 pm
My first question would be - are you sure you have the positive and negative terminals on your DMM or whatever you're using connected correctly? As I don't think it's even possible for this device to only put out negative voltages. Make sure you reset everything you changed in the calibration menu before proceeding - if you applied some weird offset, then yes, it might make everything appear to be negative voltages. (in system page, press shift+page, then press init)
I confirm that the outputs are always below 0V, ie -10V to 0V instead of -5V to +5V. For example, in the calibration menu, when the "-5V" is highlighted, my DMM measures around -10V. When the "-4V" is highlighted, it's -9V, and so on ... With +5V highlighted, my measure is almost 0V
I've tested my DMM and my connection on another module and a voltage reference, it was good, I didn't apply any kind of offset.
As all the outputs are wrong in the same time, the problem probably comes from the DAC, but it's beyond my skills.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm

There's a DIY help thread here - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=214360
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Lolo73
Common Wiggler

Post by Lolo73 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:45 pm

sduck wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm
There's a DIY help thread here - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=214360
Thanks

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 am

Just got my Performer from Control and it’s such a solid, gorgeous build. They have 3 left, so if you’re on the fence about it you should go grab one now.

Spent the holiday weekend learning it and am totally in love! Seems to strike that perfect balance between immediate and deep and creative and precise.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 pm

Question - How do I send a reset out to other sequencers and determine the timing of such? Doesn't seem to exist in the manual but this has to exist right?

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:17 am

If you want to record CV from another sequencer, do
I have to record that as a curve track or can I record it right into a note track?

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:47 am

CV's are recorded as a note track. So there's up to 64 steps of your incoming CV. Curve tracks are actually steps of predefined "shapes", you can't "draw" on a curve track at the max PPQ.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:42 am

jkanizzle wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 pm
Question - How do I send a reset out to other sequencers and determine the timing of such? Doesn't seem to exist in the manual but this has to exist right?
i believe that's under the shift + clock page, or as a general project setting. haven't had mine on in a while, but there's definitely a way.

knifey
Veteran Wiggler

Post by knifey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:03 am

Electro Something wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:17 am
If you want to record CV from another sequencer, do
I have to record that as a curve track or can I record it right into a note track?
You can do both. The curve track with roughly capture the shape and set the min/max/shape of each step as you send voltage in. And then you can further edit each shape. I kind of like the lo-fi quality and the editability of the Curve tracks.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:36 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:42 am
jkanizzle wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 pm
i believe that's under the shift + clock page, or as a general project setting. haven't had mine on in a while, but there's definitely a way.

Yeah not seeing it anywhere. There’s track resets but not a global I’m seeing and it’s def not in the manual or anywhere in this thread. It will send a rest of you hit shift/play but....

Return to “Eurorack Modules”