Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

vasculator
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Post by vasculator » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:41 pm

jkanizzle wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:36 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:42 am
jkanizzle wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 pm
Question - How do I send a reset out to other sequencers and determine the timing of such? Doesn't seem to exist in the manual but this has to exist right?
i believe that's under the shift + clock page, or as a general project setting. haven't had mine on in a while, but there's definitely a way.

Yeah not seeing it anywhere. There’s track resets but not a global I’m seeing and it’s def not in the manual or anywhere in this thread. It will send a rest of you hit shift/play but....
isn't this just going to Page+Clock? "Out mode: In Reset mode, the signal is high when the clock is stopped and in reset state. In Run mode, the signal is high when the clock is currently running." This should be what controls the behavior of the physical reset output on the module unless i'm missing something.
SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:49 pm

vasculator wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:41 pm
jkanizzle wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
jkanizzle wrote:
Question - How do I send a reset out to other sequencers and determine the timing of such? Doesn't seem to exist in the manual but this has to exist right?
i believe that's under the shift + clock page, or as a general project setting. haven't had mine on in a while, but there's definitely a way.

Yeah not seeing it anywhere. There’s track resets but not a global I’m seeing and it’s def not in the manual or anywhere in this thread. It will send a rest of you hit shift/play but....
isn't this just going to Page+Clock? "Out mode: In Reset mode, the signal is high when the clock is stopped and in reset state. In Run mode, the signal is high when the clock is currently running." This should be what controls the behavior of the physical reset output on the module unless i'm missing something.
Maybe I should have been more clear - What I’m hoping to find is an ability to determine a reset gate every ‘x’ bars which I can then send out to other sequencers/utilities/etc. I can always do it with a clock divider yet it would be advantageous to do it from the sequencer itself if it’s acting as the master clock, as even a clock divider can get this wrong if it doesn’t know where the ‘1’ is. Make sense?

vasculator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vasculator » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:54 pm

ohhh i get you now. that makes sense. you'd have to sacrifice a track to do that now and this seems like a reasonable feature request to make.
SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Copy that. Okay, I'm not crazy it doesn't exist! I shall make the feature request shortly!

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:44 pm

jkanizzle wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
jkanizzle wrote:

Not at my device but the output reset mode is in the page+tempo or page+play page.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:31 pm

Lokua wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:44 pm
jkanizzle wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
jkanizzle wrote:

Not at my device but the output reset mode is in the page+tempo or page+play page.
Once again, nothing there in terms of sending a scheduled reset trigger on say every 64 beats to reset all sequencers tied to it. Unless I'm just blind?!?!!? Totally open to being an idiot lol.

There is an output reset mode, yet that only determines what the reset output is doing when you hit play or stop. Also, it does send a reset trigger when you hit shift/play, which is good, yet not what I'm looking for. It's all good, put in the feature request.

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 am

Anyone have a good US vendor for the encoder knob? I've checked Synthcube, modular addict, mouser, Ilovemyswitches and haven't been able to find anything that works

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:00 am

Small Bear.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Waldemar
Common Wiggler

Post by Waldemar » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:05 am

Artaos wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:14 am
Does anyone on here would like to recommend a builder that DIY’d their Westlicht Performer?
This guy, he build three for me ;-)
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59850

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:12 am

jkanizzle wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:31 pm
Lokua wrote:
jkanizzle wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
jkanizzle wrote:

Once again, nothing there in terms of sending a scheduled reset trigger on say every 64 beats to reset all sequencers tied to it. Unless I'm just blind?!?!!? Totally open to being an idiot lol.

There is an output reset mode, yet that only determines what the reset output is doing when you hit play or stop. Also, it does send a reset trigger when you hit shift/play, which is good, yet not what I'm looking for. It's all good, put in the feature request.
I agree with vasculator, just use one of the tracks as the reset. The advantage, at the disadvantage of having one less sequencer track, is you can customize it much more easily, by changing the clock division and even putting the reset gate on a different step to offset when you want your other sequencers/patterns to fire. And of course, you can even modulate the reset track by routing a CV to control the start/end step or clock division of the track. The Westlicht is like a contortionist of a sequencer in that sense. :hihi:

I would just make sure that the track is set to "Aligned" and not "Free" (in the Track page) so that it doesn't go out of phase with the main sequencer clock/pattern count.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm

Bachelard wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:12 am
jkanizzle wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:31 pm
Lokua wrote:
jkanizzle wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
jkanizzle wrote:

I agree with vasculator, just use one of the tracks as the reset. The advantage, at the disadvantage of having one less sequencer track, is you can customize it much more easily, by changing the clock division and even putting the reset gate on a different step to offset when you want your other sequencers/patterns to fire. And of course, you can even modulate the reset track by routing a CV to control the start/end step or clock division of the track. The Westlicht is like a contortionist of a sequencer in that sense. :hihi:

I would just make sure that the track is set to "Aligned" and not "Free" (in the Track page) so that it doesn't go out of phase with the main sequencer clock/pattern count.
Totally get all of that and see the advantages, yet for the more utilitarian approach I wish to take it feels like a waste of a track. I can just do it through something like Pam's. I just wish to have everything in concert with each other with the occasional reset out to sync them up. Sending that reset out to; I0 Labs Flux, Octocontroller, Euclidean Circles, Voltage Block. It's all good, there's other solutions. Just felt like this was something that would be, or could be, implemented easily! Still my fav sequencer EVER.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 pm

I just noticed if you set the track scale as "Voltage" you only get a resolution of 1/10th of a volt for recording or dialing in cv pitch. Basically an even tempered 10-tone scale, right? That's not very useful for recording microtonal or cv->note patterns. Am I being dense or is that a weird limitation?

DisappearHere
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DisappearHere » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:25 am

I’ve just begun playing with the performer in the last few days. It’s so simple yet powerful, and a lot of fun. It reminds me of the great parts of the digitakt sequencer.

One thing i was wondering was if there was some sort of tuning mode, or a shortcut to get the sequencer to output say 1v on all CV outputs to make tuning multiple voices easier. I haven’t been able to work out a way of doing this and have searched the manual and online. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 am

DisappearHere wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:25 am
I’ve just begun playing with the performer in the last few days. It’s so simple yet powerful, and a lot of fun. It reminds me of the great parts of the digitakt sequencer.

One thing i was wondering was if there was some sort of tuning mode, or a shortcut to get the sequencer to output say 1v on all CV outputs to make tuning multiple voices easier. I haven’t been able to work out a way of doing this and have searched the manual and online. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!
I've programmed a project preset just for this purpose, works fine.

DisappearHere
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DisappearHere » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:36 am

lohacker wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 am
I've programmed a project preset just for this purpose, works fine.
Can't believe I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Hi!
Well i have run into a brick wall.
My (3rd) perofrmer build doesnt really work....well none of the leds do.
The lcd works, flashing the mcu, but none of the leds work.
I have replaced ALL ic´s and still no live on the leds.
Any ideas where i should start looking? All components are the same as used on other builds and the same as in the bom.
All diodes measure correct voltages, all leds show same readings?
What feeds the leds?
Thanks!
Ps: I tried test mode and obviously leds are not working :(

DisappearHere
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DisappearHere » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:07 pm

djthopa wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:55 pm
Hi!
Well i have run into a brick wall.
My (3rd) perofrmer build doesnt really work....well none of the leds do.
The lcd works, flashing the mcu, but none of the leds work.
I have replaced ALL ic´s and still no live on the leds.
Any ideas where i should start looking? All components are the same as used on other builds and the same as in the bom.
All diodes measure correct voltages, all leds show same readings?
What feeds the leds?
Thanks!
Ps: I tried test mode and obviously leds are not working :(
Do the switches work?
Just to check, are you getting all the correct voltage measurements as per the first step in the build guide?

Given that none of the LEDs work, it could be something to do with the LED drivers/ the shift registers. That’s where I’d probably look first for a short or unsoldered terminal. See pages 2 and 5 of the schematics - check U12 and U13.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 pm

Have you asked in the build thread? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=214360
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:26 am

Thanks for the reply!
Yes i’m pretty sure i had the right voltages as i was able to flash the mcu, but i’m going to double check again, thanks!

crumb dinger
Common Wiggler

Post by crumb dinger » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:15 am

I finally got my hands on one of these and I've been playing joyfully with it nonstop since it arrived. Some things have their slight quirks (still coming to grips with retriggers and slides) but for the most part I'm getting along fine with quick glances at the manual. I haven't even touched the deep stuff like the mod matrix, cv inputs, or song mode but I'm working up to those rapidly. Really a grade A, thoroughly modern machine with just the sort of UI and features I've been missing in Eurorack.

The only thing I haven't found that I'd like to have is a shortcut for inverting the current step selection (so that all unselected steps become selected and vice versa).

ghandipants
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ghandipants » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm

Hello fellow Westlicht'ians - a little help if you can spare it -

I recently bought a "second user" Performer running 1.3.6 and would dearly love to bring it up to the current firmware, both the "hold on power up" and the utilities menu "hold to reset to bootloader" methods both result in the same failure : the unit appears dead until power to the box is reset (there is no further display or led activity once the encoder is depressed).

The SD card contains only a .DAT file named "LAST.DAT" and a folder containing preset saves - it's currently both reading and writing to those saves without problem. I've offered the unit several of the alt firmwares : 1.3.7 and increments but it's not responsive once the encoder is pressed

As a newcomer to this unit I could really do with a bit of assistance, can anyone help a brother out with this ?

P......l.......e......a......s......e

{ This post is a duplicate of the request I've made on the other Weslicht build thread here - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=214360&p=3477304#p3477304 - so appologies if you've already seen it, I'm just desperate enough to repeat myself }

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KittenVillage » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 pm

Just copy the update.dat file from the latest release to the root of the SD card. Hold the encoder on power up or look at the system page. It could not be easier.

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

TechnoPrisoner
Common Wiggler

Post by TechnoPrisoner » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:45 pm

I read on an earlier post that EUCLIDEAN rhythms are possible with this sequencer,which video is that ?
Thanks.

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KittenVillage » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:45 pm

TechnoPrisoner wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:45 pm
I read on an earlier post that EUCLIDEAN rhythms are possible with this sequencer,which video is that ?
Thanks.
It's in this video, except you select Euclid instead of Random

Shift-Page from the Gate view, select 'Gen'.

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Question about Note Variation Range and Probability that I can't seem to explicitly find in the manual - Is the range semitones within the scale? And the probability, set at 100 is that it will always play the correct note....and when brought down will play alternate notes within the range? Is there a way to make this a little more controllable that I'm missing? Like, only play a 3rd or 5th or 7th of the original programmed note?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”