Westlicht PER|FORMER Sequencer (DIY)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

pascalm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pascalm » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am

forestcaver wrote:Think I have sent it ok in a PM.... let me know if it doesnt work ! (Edit: oops, may have sent it twice !)
Thanks! pdf received well and ready for printout:)

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm

pascalm wrote:it's white on black background, too much ink!!
conversion to black on white background didn't work, any ideas?
In Windows (at least) when you print it and select Print to PDF, it creates PDF with black text on a white background.
http://involucija.org - post-industrial euphoric deprogramming. LP coming soon on a+w.

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:25 pm

pascalm wrote:
forestcaver wrote:Think I have sent it ok in a PM.... let me know if it doesnt work ! (Edit: oops, may have sent it twice !)
Thanks! pdf received well and ready for printout:)
:-)

pascalm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pascalm » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm

sneak-thief wrote:
In Windows (at least) when you print it and select Print to PDF, it creates PDF with black text on a white background.
Mac&Safari over here:)

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:15 pm

pascalm wrote:
sneak-thief wrote:
Mac&Safari over here:)
I did it on a mac with safari but the same on windows...

DeepValleyDrive
1-Post Wiggler

Post by DeepValleyDrive » Sat May 18, 2019 11:25 pm

toneburst wrote:
sneak-thief wrote:@MATSmile - According to Simon:

"Realtime recording is available yes, via both midi and usb"

A new step recording mode is also being tested:

https://github.com/westlicht/performer/issues/23
Implemented in the latest release. Haven't had a chance to test it, yet.
Question: do you guys plan to ever make the USB port a class compliant MIDI host for just typical MIDI keyboard controllers like the keystep? I think that would be a killer feature that would make it very much like a great cross breeding of the eloquencer workflow with one of the favorite features from the Hermod.

Thanks for designing an awesome sequencer!

pixelforest
Common Wiggler

Post by pixelforest » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:18 am

for the midi input --> cv output, it looks like the manual indicates you can assign multiple voice outputs to have the sequencer handle allocation. the user manual is a little unclear, am I correct in thinking this means you could assign all 8 cv/gate outputs as midi tracks and thus handle voice allocation for 8-note polyphony? if yes, is there a way to adjust how that voice allocation happens (i.e. FIFO vs LIFO vs. nearest note)

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:00 am

@pixelforest: yes, you can get 8 notes poly. The first note in the stack will always be the first track set to midi cv, and so forth.

Therefore, if all 8 tracks are set to midi/cv and you hold an 8-note chord, the first note held down goes to track 1 and the last note held goes to track 8.

As of yet, there are no round-robin or FIFO modes. If you're interested, bring it up in the Github issues page.

To try out an 8 voice midi to cv converter, copy this project into your project folder on the SD card (warning - it replaces Program #10):

http://sneak-thief.com/modular/010.PRO

Pay close attention to the track settings - I had to change several pages of parameters to make this work:

PAGE: LAYOUT - MODE: set all channels to MIDI/CV
PAGE: LAYOUT - GATE: set all channels to Track 1: Gate X (1-8)
PAGE: LAYOUT - CV: set all channels to Track 1:V/Oct X (1-8)

PAGE: TRACK 1 - Voices: 8
http://involucija.org - post-industrial euphoric deprogramming. LP coming soon on a+w.

Markthom
Common Wiggler

Post by Markthom » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:02 pm

This sequencer is a pleasure to work with - I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface with itm this is the latest in a run of vids using it as the brains of the operation

[video][/video]

iheartmodular
Common Wiggler

Post by iheartmodular » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:13 am

update:

Added shape variation and shape variation probability layers to curve sequences (#108)
Added gate and gate probability layer to curve sequences (#108)
Added shape probability bias and gate probability bias parameters to curve tracks (#108)
Added better support for track linking on curve tracks including recording (#108)
Added specific fill modes for curve tracks (variation, next pattern and invert) (#108)
Added support for mutes on curve tracks (keep CV value at last position and mute gates) (#108)
Added support for offsetting curves up and down by holding min or max function buttons (#103)

:tu: :hail:

diffrentstrolks
Common Wiggler

Post by diffrentstrolks » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:13 am

iheartmodular wrote:update:

Added shape variation and shape variation probability layers to curve sequences (#108)
Added shape probability bias and gate probability bias parameters to curve tracks (#108)
Added better support for track linking on curve tracks including recording (#108)
Added specific fill modes for curve tracks (variation, next pattern and invert) (#108)
Added support for mutes on curve tracks (keep CV value at last position and mute gates) (#108)
Added support for offsetting curves up and down by holding min or max function buttons (#103)

Such a great update; my kingdom for a Westlicht builder

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Post by Staticcharge » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:56 am

diffrentstrolks wrote:
iheartmodular wrote:update:

Such a great update; my kingdom for a Westlicht builder
Just bumping this because there is bound to be someone in the states that can help you out.

diffrentstrolks
Common Wiggler

Post by diffrentstrolks » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks! Yes, I've actually purchased two of these from cool/talented US diy-ers since posting here-- unfortunately, both had build-related issues that were significant enough to require a (mutually agreed upon) return/refund.

It's probably a ways off, but I look forward to this seq getting the full release/production treatment (if that is even where Simon is heading with the project).
diffrent folks

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Markthom wrote:This sequencer is a pleasure to work with - I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface with itm this is the latest in a run of vids using it as the brains of the operation
Thats just great Mark, really shows you can put together a complete track with it. How did you make your Dreddy panel btw? I have a 5hp gap needing some 2000AD art. :)

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Post by Staticcharge » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:19 am

diffrentstrolks wrote:Thanks! Yes, I've actually purchased two of these from cool/talented US diy-ers since posting here-- unfortunately, both had build-related issues that were significant enough to require a (mutually agreed upon) return/refund.

It's probably a ways off, but I look forward to this seq getting the full release/production treatment (if that is even where Simon is heading with the project).
I'd be more than happy to build you a pair if your still after them. I sent you a PM.

Markthom
Common Wiggler

Post by Markthom » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:26 am

mongrol wrote:
Markthom wrote:This sequencer is a pleasure to work with - I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface with itm this is the latest in a run of vids using it as the brains of the operation
Thats just great Mark, really shows you can put together a complete track with it. How did you make your Dreddy panel btw? I have a 5hp gap needing some 2000AD art. :)
Thanks Mongrol! re: the panel it was a somewhat convoluted process using adobe illustrator and the Dip Trace to create a Gerber file, which I then sent to PCBWay for manufacture :)

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:29 am

Wow, I've been eating the manual for breakfast :-)

I've been looking for something with individual patterns per track. After eating the manual I still have some questions:

- when you link Channels, does the linked channel have the same mode or is it possible to link a curve track to a note track? And do you get a 2nd gate output that can be used as an full blown gate sequence? Do the linked tracks still have individual clock divisions, first and last step?

- can you use CVins to reset individual tracks?

- there seem to be many button combinations. In the Test drive at the homepage it seems, that the LEDs light up to show possible selections. Is that the case? If yes, tat would certainly be good for the workflow.

- is it conceivable that there will be more than 16 patterns per track in the future? or are there some UI constraints to avoid that? I guess memory is not an issue here?

- Same question for steps per pattern. 128? 256?

thanks in advance for the answers.

that thing is very interesting to say the least! Step selection and editing/copying multiple steps seems very powerful to me.

and I always have another feature request for sequencers that have a CV input: Pass through of the CV input on individual steps.

it is great to have a melodic sequence going and have say steps 3 and 6 play not the stored value(note) but the one present at the input. If you play another v/oct with a keyboard and know a bit about the scale you're in that can get very nice and flexible. An extension of the request would be to activate recording only on selected steps.

I plan to get rid of the octatrack Midi sequencer in my liveset in the winter mostly because of its pattern structure (no individual patterns per track) and the necessity to convert Midi into CV and some timing issues I have. This seems to be a great option.

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:53 pm

I keep hitting an odd issue and I'm not sure if its a bug or its my fat fingers. When I set a 2nd track to Curve the clock on that track stops and it won't play. I've checked all over the place but I can't seem to find whats causing it. Track 1 plays no probs, Track2 just doesn't move. If I set it to Note, "commit" then back to Curve it'll play. Seems to be random.
Last time I had track 1 note, track 2 curve playing ok, then when I set track 3 to curve it stopped. Same thing.

iheartmodular
Common Wiggler

Post by iheartmodular » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 am

why are you making bug reports here when simon is so easily available and amazingly responsive

and

github

:despair:

no need for negativity on this project whatsoever

keep it real
(PLEASE NOTE - I AM JOKING, REPEAT, JOKING) :hihi:

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:45 pm

iheartmodular wrote:why are you making bug reports here when simon is so easily available and amazingly responsive

and

github

:despair:

no need for negativity on this project whatsoever

keep it real
Um... what? Who's being negative. I'm asking if anyone else has seen this. If its a bug I'll report it (or even fix it myself).

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Some folks have accounts here but not on github. Questions and bug reports here are fine. Not the fastest way to the developer, but he does check in here on occasion.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi all, I'm a new happy owner of the Performer: maybe it's a stupid question but I can't find any infos regarding what type of micro SD card is compatible with it, because I don't have any micro SD card for the moment.
There are three different types commercialy available, micro SD, micro SD HC and micro SD XC cards, both last ones are the easiest to find these days: could you please tell me what type of micro SD cards are compatible with the Performer? what type do you use? any constraint regarding the "Go" size?
Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Warpus
Common Wiggler

Post by Warpus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:28 pm

I think any micro-SD card will work. Not sure if there is a size limit, but I think a 16 GB one would be more than you ever need.

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Warpus wrote:I think any micro-SD card will work. Not sure if there is a size limit, but I think a 16 GB one would be more than you ever need.
Thanks a lot for your reply Warpus, indeed I've just learnt today that "HC" and "XC" are just a reference to the storage capacity range of the card, so they are supposed to work properly on any micro SD card device, you should be right!
Though I've just bought a 16 Go micro SD HC card, but unfortunately it's not recognized at all by my Performer: "No SD card detected" appears on the screen when trying to format the card in the System menu... :bang: pfff...

Someone encountered this yet? Any help about this issue??

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Do you have it in the right way? Label facing up?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Return to “Eurorack Modules”