Lots of people selling MI Elements... Why?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:37 am

while it sounds really good it wasn't what I really need/want. I mostly used it for percussive stuff or background fill. For that it is way too big.

Blicken Synths
Common Wiggler

Post by Blicken Synths » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:04 am

I love Elements. It's layout, playability, modulation options and I've not even got to the scope of available sound. Yes, it's big, but I'd say it's well proportioned compared to the feature set it provides
Blicken Synths is a UK based online modular synth store. 10% off your first order for all new registered accounts

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:36 am

Sold mine, was going to replace it with one of the 18hp versions instead. Bought something else. Not looking back.
Did love the sound though, but too far off from the music i make to be of any significance.

naturarerum
Common Wiggler

Post by naturarerum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 am

I'm selling mine because all things considered, I'm not the biggest fan of modal synthesis sounds outside of AAS Chromaphone. It's a great and inspiring module, just not for me.

ThanosF
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ThanosF » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am

Honestly i believe that there is an impulsive problem with buying new modules in the Eurorack community. I never understood why someone sells his Elements because of space limitations. It means that they didn't design their system properly and bought stuff without thinking properly if they need it or not. Lot of people like to just buy and sell stuff too. But again I'm not complaining, i love that i can get 2nd hand modules so easily. Elements has been described as one of the best synths ever made and i agree. I'm in no way selling this beast. The modulation possibilities are endless.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:29 am

ThanosF wrote:Honestly i believe that there is an impulsive problem with buying new modules in the Eurorack community. I never understood why someone sells his Elements because of space limitations. It means that they didn't design their system properly and bought stuff without thinking properly if they need it or not.
If I want to try a module personally, I have two options:

1. Drive for 6 hours to Chicago where the nearest shops with Eurorack gear are. Try the module, in the store's rack, for several minutes. Stay in a motel overnight. Drive 6 hours to get back home the next day.

2. Buy the module, use it in my system in an actual musical context for as long as I like, and resell it, losing less money than I would have spent on a trip to Chicago.

I do plenty of online research about modules I'm interested in: I read reviews, watch/listen to demos, obsess over the various options on ModularGrid, etc. But I'm not going to really know whether the module is right for me until I use it. (Or until I realize it's been sitting in my rack untouched for the last six weeks while I've recorded 9 different things with the rest of my system.)

Also, tastes and styles and methods of working change. One might go through phases of wanting to explore, rather than having a specific goal for your modular setup -- or buy new gear that you like better than the old gear, even if it served you well in the past -- or wake up and realize you have too many VCOs, and sell some even though you love them all.

When I went to Knobcon a couple of years ago, I bought Cursus Iteritas, uFold and Natural Gate as a result of trying them in person. Then I sold Cursus and uFold later anyway :lol:

There is no shame in selling modules.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 am

"...didn't design their system properly...." :roll:

"modular" means your system is not set in stone, which means both the way you patch up the modules, and the modules themselves.

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:46 am

I enjoyed my Elements. Was one of the first modules I bought. When I figured out my final goal for this case I sold it to make room. Have not regretted it. Too big. It really needed separate outs for the three sounds, imo. It was great to play real flutes or bowed strings along with, but then you can't really use it for percussion at the same time.

ZenitSar - Solo modular
CV - SciFi Rock

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm

one of the problems i had with elements was that it had such a distinct sound, i always felt you could pick it out form a mile way in any mix. i always found myself spending so much time trying to make it sound not like elements.
i had the exact same issue with the 4ms SMR.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm

I'll never understand the whole thing about it being a problem if someone can recognize a module in a recording. Especially something like Elements, that has an infinite number of sounds without even getting into fancy patching. It's not the same as just picking a preset on a ROMpler. But different strokes....

I can understand trying to make the SMR sound like something else, because I never really enjoyed its sound!

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Zymos wrote:I'll never understand the whole thing about it being a problem if someone can recognize a module in a recording.
I agree. It’s what gets done with the sound that matters. How many recordings have Gibsons or Fenders running through Marshall amps on it? I’d guess thousands. And there’s a reason for that. It worked.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Zymos wrote:I'll never understand the whole thing about it being a problem if someone can recognize a module in a recording.
I agree. It’s what gets done with the sound that matters. How many recordings have Gibsons or Fenders running through Marshall amps on it? I’d guess thousands. And there’s a reason for that. It worked.
From a synthesists point I think it is a valid criticism. A synthesizer is made to create sound. if it cannot go beyond a certain character it is not as flexible as other ones.
This is completely different obviously to a guitar or any other instrument.

AnalogAssailant
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogAssailant » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:55 pm

From a synthesists point I think it is a valid criticism. A synthesizer is made to create sound. if it cannot go beyond a certain character it is not as flexible as other ones.
I think users of the TB-303, and its clones, would disagree

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm

AnalogAssailant wrote:
I think users of the TB-303, and its clones, would disagree
I don't know of anyone buying a tb-303 to create new sounds.

AnalogAssailant
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogAssailant » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:06 pm

I guess since you don't know then it must be true

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:12 pm

AnalogAssailant wrote:

I guess since you don't know then it must be true
Well add to that i have never heard a new sound coming from that machine and you have a point.

There are people interested into new sounds and people interested in specific styles of music. These two differ in taste and expectations often. I remember a time when most hated waldorf's sound and would not give it a second thought although it had a 16 slot matrix that would allow you to fullfill one's imagination.
They prefered the viruses of this world because it could do oberheim, or moog or whatever to possibilities.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Thankfully this is all subjective otherwise music would all sound the same.

For me it’s more how the sound is used within the context of the composition as opposed to the identity of the sound itself.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm

I sold my Elements for the size combined with my use of it... I didn't care much for the left half, so I replaced it with Rings (the part of the module I loved).

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Edit
Last edited by brandonlogic on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Edit double post
Last edited by brandonlogic on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Zymos wrote:I'll never understand the whole thing about it being a problem if someone can recognize a module in a recording. Especially something like Elements, that has an infinite number of sounds without even getting into fancy patching. It's not the same as just picking a preset on a ROMpler. But different strokes....

I can understand trying to make the SMR sound like something else, because I never really enjoyed its sound!
I guess it just didn’t sit right in the context of the other sounds I’m my patches.

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm

I sold mine because i love making my own exciters and therefor rings suits me better. Miss the immediacy a bit and the reverb was just so lush!

I hope MI release a polysynth at some point that is a 4voice elements plus sample player for recorded exciters plus some modulation and an analogue overdrive. Would be my dream synth.
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Zymos wrote:I'll never understand the whole thing about it being a problem if someone can recognize a module in a recording. Especially something like Elements, that has an infinite number of sounds without even getting into fancy patching. It's not the same as just picking a preset on a ROMpler. But different strokes....

I guess it just didn’t sit right in the context of the other sounds I’m my patches.
Referring to Elements or SMR?

Either way, didn't mean to call you out, every approach is equally valid IMO.

nimmen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nimmen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 am

Agree with some points, its big and its quite distinct(indeed, can probably recognise it in any mix, that can be pro or con). IMHO its one of the best MI modules, also one of the first I owned, kinda reminds me mystery of why nw1 is going for that cheap(actually they seem to share similar "traits" of this "issue" :] )....
busy soldering...

ThanosF
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ThanosF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:28 pm

starthief wrote:
ThanosF wrote:Honestly i believe that there is an impulsive problem with buying new modules in the Eurorack community. I never understood why someone sells his Elements because of space limitations. It means that they didn't design their system properly and bought stuff without thinking properly if they need it or not.
If I want to try a module personally, I have two options:

1. Drive for 6 hours to Chicago where the nearest shops with Eurorack gear are. Try the module, in the store's rack, for several minutes. Stay in a motel overnight. Drive 6 hours to get back home the next day.

2. Buy the module, use it in my system in an actual musical context for as long as I like, and resell it, losing less money than I would have spent on a trip to Chicago.

I do plenty of online research about modules I'm interested in: I read reviews, watch/listen to demos, obsess over the various options on ModularGrid, etc. But I'm not going to really know whether the module is right for me until I use it. (Or until I realize it's been sitting in my rack untouched for the last six weeks while I've recorded 9 different things with the rest of my system.)

Also, tastes and styles and methods of working change. One might go through phases of wanting to explore, rather than having a specific goal for your modular setup -- or buy new gear that you like better than the old gear, even if it served you well in the past -- or wake up and realize you have too many VCOs, and sell some even though you love them all.

When I went to Knobcon a couple of years ago, I bought Cursus Iteritas, uFold and Natural Gate as a result of trying them in person. Then I sold Cursus and uFold later anyway :lol:

There is no shame in selling modules.
I find your approach to be healthy. And I agree with most of your points. But i find it weird that with so much information and video's available for Elements, there are many people who are selling it "because it's not what they're looking for" or "because they played it for a few months and got bored of it". It seems to me that sometimes people just play modules like they are "toys". They're not, they are creative tools, which means they will always be there to help us express ourselves creatively. Did you see any guitarist saying "i played this guitar for a few months, i got bored of it and sold it"? Nope. Why? Cause a guitar is an instrument, not a toy. And there are millions of ways to play it, just like Elements.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”