DivKid Mutes

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

GNSDG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GNSDG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:41 pm

ben_hex wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:Proud of you mate. Looking forward to what else your line of modules has in store for us! :party:
Cheers mate! Certainly lots of idea :)
Plugler wrote:Any chance to get one of the Full DIY Kits in Europe before the upcoming (if no wonder happens) hard brexit?

Thonk.co.uk is sold out since mid february. Since then I'm on the waiting list, but did'nt got any message yet.

After a hard brexit, the full DIY Kit from Thonk will probably cost more then the assembled version from a German / French webshop...
:bang:
Not going to happen before Brexit, these are currently under manufacturing for a second batch. However it's all sold and sorted through Befaco in Barcelona, Spain. So within the EU you should have no differences. Leaf Audio are interested I think so DIY kits can come from them. I can't speak for Thonk but knowing they're great people I'm sure they'll do as much as they can to have a minimal affect for customers anywhere in the world.

A huge thanks to Befaco for sorting Vactrol issues and everyone for reporting back everything is ok. Really appreciate it :tu:
Glad to hear more are coming! Will there be US stock again?
WTB: Your 54HP lunchbox!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:14 am

GNSDG wrote:
Yeah assembled and more DIY to the US I believe. If you want me to approach a specific shop about it let me know who and I will do.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Breezewax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Breezewax » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:15 am

ben_hex wrote:
GNSDG wrote:
Yeah assembled and more DIY to the US I believe. If you want me to approach a specific shop about it let me know who and I will do.
I want to buy some full kits from Modular Addict :mrgreen:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 am

Breezewax wrote:
ben_hex wrote:
GNSDG wrote:
They had some and they sold out. More will be going as soon as the next batch is ready.

Plugler
Common Wiggler

Post by Plugler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:57 pm

ben_hex wrote:
Breezewax wrote:
ben_hex wrote:
GNSDG wrote:
They had some and they sold out. More will be going as soon as the next batch is ready.
Hopefully the next batch is a little bit larger. :love:

But... as long as we are already waiting on this next batch, it must be so large that it have to be shipped in a sea container. :banana:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Plugler I don't mind saying the first run was 300, we're doing a slightly larger run this time.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:59 am

ben_hex wrote:Plugler I don't mind saying the first run was 300, we're doing a slightly larger run this time.
*yaw dropping noise*

marketing works LOL :mrgreen:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:37 am

kay_k wrote:
ben_hex wrote:Plugler I don't mind saying the first run was 300, we're doing a slightly larger run this time.
*yaw dropping noise*

I didn't mean that as any sort of brag, or making statement. I hope it didn't seem that way. Just saying what the run was. While I'm thinking out loud (this may be of interest, may not be) ...

I know marketing works, I had a plan from the start I think but some people were unsure for various reasons. What really worked was that I wasn't the person handling circuit design or ordering panels, or assembly, packaging etc. It meant I could step back and just oversee things and work on the release. That's a luxury I had with this release because I'm the strange middle man between the company building them and me releasing them. Befaco were great to work with as always so it was a great experience throughout. I don't think I'm really going anyway with this but I'm happy to discuss things.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:50 am

ben_hex wrote:
kay_k wrote:
*yaw dropping noise*

I didn't mean that as any sort of brag, or making statement. I hope it didn't seem that way. Just saying what the run was. While I'm thinking out loud (this may be of interest, may not be) ...

I know marketing works, I had a plan from the start I think but some people were unsure for various reasons. What really worked was that I wasn't the person handling circuit design or ordering panels, or assembly, packaging etc. It meant I could step back and just oversee things and work on the release. That's a luxury I had with this release because I'm the strange middle man between the company building them and me releasing them. Befaco were great to work with as always so it was a great experience throughout. I don't think I'm really going anyway with this but I'm happy to discuss things.
I know you weren't bragging .. I don't take you as the bragging kind of person anyway.
It was a compliment too ;)

ronski
Common Wiggler

Post by ronski » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am

I've used the these VTL5C1 's from Musikding but I'm having an issue with them. It's a similar issue as I had when I used the VTL5C3's when things were still wrong in the BOM. LED's are quite dim and no signal is coming through. I was under the impression that the musikding vactrols are the same as the Thonk ones. They're XVIVE's as well but maybe I'm missing something essential here?

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 am

ronski wrote:I've used the these VTL5C1 's from Musikding but I'm having an issue with them. It's a similar issue as I had when I used the VTL5C3's when things were still wrong in the BOM. LED's are quite dim and no signal is coming through. I was under the impression that the musikding vactrols are the same as the Thonk ones. They're XVIVE's as well but maybe I'm missing something essential here?
Please check you're looking at V7 of the build guide here - http://bit.ly/mutesfiles - there was an error regarding vactrols. If you're having issues though feel free to let me know (I'll pass things onto Befaco who will handle it).

ronski
Common Wiggler

Post by ronski » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:54 pm

ben_hex wrote:
Please check you're looking at V7 of the build guide here - http://bit.ly/mutesfiles - there was an error regarding vactrols. If you're having issues though feel free to let me know (I'll pass things onto Befaco who will handle it).
Thanks Ben,

I know of the issue with the vactrols, the initial BOM said VTL5C1 vactrols which didn't work a got replaced by Befaco which was amazing of them.
Now for my second build of Mutes I got the "right" ones but having the same (or similar) issue as with the VTL5C1's.

This time I'm using VTL5C3 from musikding as stated above but wondering if they really do work. The ones I got send by Befaco for my previous build worked perfectly, I should have bought them at their but wasn't aware they were selling them... My question is are the Xvive VTL5C3's of musikding the same as the Thonk ones? Thanks a lot for your help !

Brooks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brooks » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:42 am

Hi there. I built two of these a couple months ago and have been using them strictly to run audio through. For this, no problems. However, just today I've tested with CV, running a sequence through it, and I'm experiences a volt drop. I've tested with both Marbles and Arpitecht into Mutes, then out to Plaits 1v/oct. In both cases it seems to transposed downward. I don't have a signal analyzer so it's hard for me to say how much.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Brooks wrote:Hi there. I built two of these a couple months ago and have been using them strictly to run audio through. For this, no problems. However, just today I've tested with CV, running a sequence through it, and I'm experiences a volt drop. I've tested with both Marbles and Arpitecht into Mutes, then out to Plaits 1v/oct. In both cases it seems to transposed downward. I don't have a signal analyzer so it's hard for me to say how much.

the vactrols in the BOM can actually achieve a very low On resistance (5ohm @ 10mA) i.e. with the input impedance of 100k plaits has it's below a cent error.
Which can only mean that your module drives not enough current thru the LED part of the Vactrol. I'd recommend asking Befaco for help.

(BTW I don't have the module so I am guessing a good bit)

Brooks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brooks » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks kay_k. I've reached out to Befaco. Kinda hoping someone else can test theirs and let me know if they're experiencing the same. Since my original post I've tested with other oscillators and all sequences run through mutes sound different then without it in the chain.

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Wed May 01, 2019 7:57 am

Brooks wrote:Hi there. I built two of these a couple months ago and have been using them strictly to run audio through. For this, no problems. However, just today I've tested with CV, running a sequence through it, and I'm experiences a volt drop. I've tested with both Marbles and Arpitecht into Mutes, then out to Plaits 1v/oct. In both cases it seems to transposed downward. I don't have a signal analyzer so it's hard for me to say how much.

I haven't run CV through mine yet, but i remember Ben saying somewhere that while they are buffered, not to expect buffered mult like performance with CV.

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Wed May 01, 2019 7:58 am

Also, would a pannable mixer with vactrols get rid of the click you hear with those kind of mixers?

Brooks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brooks » Wed May 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Coming full circle this seems like a forehead slap moment. Just wasn't sure...anyway, here is the response from Befaco. Makes perfect sense.

"The mutes is Vactrol based, that offers a clickless switching, but also they have variations on the voltage. In audio is hard to perceive but if you are using tuned CV you need to know the variation, and they aren't accurate. So is not the best use.

I was try to measure the voltage lose of the vactrols but each have is one behaviour."

Plugler
Common Wiggler

Post by Plugler » Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 am

The DIY Full Kits are available again at Thonk!

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/divkid-mut ... -diy-kit1/

I've waited on this since mid february... - but last weekend Doepfer announced their new Slim Line modules, some of them with switches:

http://www.doepfer.de/a138i.htm (A-138i Interrupting Mixer - Slim Line 6HP)
http://www.doepfer.de/a1822.htm (A-182-2 Quad Switches - Slim Line 4HP)

First I'll try this both new modules, especially the A-138i Interupting Mixer, which is technically nearly the same as I've built some months ago (modified A-138b, combined with simple 4 switches in a 4HP blank panel - see "My Eurorack Case #1", lower right) - but with half the width of my solution.
If I have problems with clicks at switching/muting, then I will try DivKids Mutes...

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed May 08, 2019 11:59 am

Difference lies in the vactrols tho

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 pm

shoottofill wrote:Also, would a pannable mixer with vactrols get rid of the click you hear with those kind of mixers?
Try our mixer ;)
Not pan-able but two busses work for stereo too

haertes
Learning to Wiggle

Superlicious Module but having two issues after assembling i

Post by haertes » Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 am

Just finished this project, ch 2-4 are working just fine but I have two issues..
1.: Switch one doesnt move. I didn't want to put too much pressure on it but I can't flip it to (ON) or ON after soldering it. Could it be possible that some solder flowed through the holes and now blocks the switch ? How to repair this ?
2. LED 4 is shining constantly.

P.S.: Awesome and super usefull module, but would love to use all 4 channels

Thanks in advance

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm

kay_k wrote:
shoottofill wrote:Also, would a pannable mixer with vactrols get rid of the click you hear with those kind of mixers?
Try our mixer ;)
Not pan-able but two busses work for stereo too
i check it out!

Hope someone creates a clickless pananble one soon.

haertes
Learning to Wiggle

Issue with Mutes

Post by haertes » Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Edit: accidentally doubleposted

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 am

I’ve used this module so much I have killed a switch!

In a good way.

:yay:

Totally made my synth.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”