DivKid Mutes

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu May 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Was the schematic ever released for this module?

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am

first MUTES patch!
some dub style effects routing

jfprimeau
Common Wiggler

Re: Superlicious Module but having two issues after assembli

Post by jfprimeau » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:40 pm

haertes wrote:Just finished this project, ch 2-4 are working just fine but I have two issues..
1.: Switch one doesnt move. I didn't want to put too much pressure on it but I can't flip it to (ON) or ON after soldering it. Could it be possible that some solder flowed through the holes and now blocks the switch ? How to repair this ?
2. LED 4 is shining constantly.

P.S.: Awesome and super usefull module, but would love to use all 4 channels

Thanks in advance
Just got a kit from thonk, built it, and led 1 is always on (so I guess like your led 4 problem). Also, signal comes in on input 1 and goes to other channels as expected, but nothing comes out of output 1. One of the vactrols had a bit of loose legs, like they would wiggle a bit. I think it's the one I put on channel 1, but i'm not sure. Anyways, I sent an email to befaco, hopefully we can sort this out. Otherwise, channels 2-4 work as expected.

UPDATE: Befaco tech support pointed me in the right direction and also sent me the schematics. After a bit of tracing, I found that the problem was coming from a peg of a jumper connecting the 2 pcbs that had come undone. Now everything works as expected! :D
It is a great module, lots of fun to be had, and very playable. 100% recommended!
Last edited by jfprimeau on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 am

I ambitiously purchased a Mutes panel+PCB set from Thonk, and I think I can get all the parts to spec except for the switches. Does anyone know if the panel holes will accept a 1/4" (6.35mm or a little less) bushing for the switch instead of 6mm?

(I'm not in a hurry, so if nobody knows I'll just measure it when it arrives, but if it turns out I really need to order internationally I'd rather get it started.)

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 am

Switch holes on panel are pretty much exactly 6.35mm.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Any update on pre-built availability for USA? Seems sold out everywhere.

Also, I am in the upside-down camp with respect to switches/jacks. All of my contoller/sequencer stuff is on the bottom rows.

Because of the upside-down-ness I would like to make a custom panel (also I dislike black panels). Has the panel FPD file been shared?

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:26 pm

This thing is really fun, I bought it a couple weeks ago but was holding off on reorganizing everything and finally did it this morning.

If you are tired of wiring everything up and marveling at the sounds coming out, and want to get involved, this (and the addac vc transitions) are two awesome ones for hitting switches and making things happen. I could see myself buying a second one of these, easily. I luckily, accidentally put it on the bottom right of my controller case, upside down orientation (my cases are in profile).

I can anchor my right hand on the edge of the case, and pop the momentary with great ease- it's perfect. I don't think I'd be having nearly as much fun if it was in the middle of the row or in an 'internal' row at all.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am

Still haven’t built the second one yet but there is definitely a need for it. :despair: quick......go shopping!

I agree that this things really expands playability, so much fun!

That vc transitions caught my eye too! Tell me something on that please.

On the subject of switches top or bottom.....
I like the momentary to trigger as a push with a finger, not a flick of the thumb! So left hand side is upside down, right hand side is right way up.
It’s a more natural tapping motion I guess?

Trashcan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Trashcan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Hi!
Trying to build some mutes, and having some trouble sourcing suitable vactrols, had xvive ones from thonk, but they are reportedly not suitable, does anyone know which ones are? And where to source them? :cry:

Trashcan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Trashcan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:54 am

Just got this from the guys at thonk if anyone else is in the same boat!
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/vactrols-for-mutes/
Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to, weren't never there! And where you are, ain't no good unless you can get away from it!

honeysmack
Common Wiggler

Post by honeysmack » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:30 am

Workflow question please
Mutes + Hexpander/Hexmix + STmix:

Mutes to act as an FX switch, Dub style.

Mutes input 1: AUX (post or pre?) from Hexpander
Mutes outputs 1-4: sent to various FX in rack (Pico DSP, Rainmaker, MUM8)

That means the individual FX outputs will have to be returned to separate channels, such as the STmix?

Have I missed anything or possibly have it wrong?

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 am

ben_hex wrote:for those that have asked I'll get the schematic sorted and uploaded for people soon.
Ben can we see the schematic please? Would love to diy this!

Cheers

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:26 pm

honeysmack wrote:Workflow question please
Mutes + Hexpander/Hexmix + STmix:

Mutes to act as an FX switch, Dub style.

Mutes input 1: AUX (post or pre?) from Hexpander
Mutes outputs 1-4: sent to various FX in rack (Pico DSP, Rainmaker, MUM8)

That means the individual FX outputs will have to be returned to separate channels, such as the STmix?

Have I missed anything or possibly have it wrong?
Can confirm this would work as have this exact setup.

The STMix is perfect for bringing everything back in as like the attentuators. I have everything coming out “Pre”, but that’s just personal preference.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Johnny
Learning to Wiggle

Re: DivKid Mutes

Post by Johnny » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:47 am

Its bleeding when muted, not annoyingly but bleeding..

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:37 pm

Got this module recently. Great fun and easy to use. Will pick up another at some point for sure.

Wilshire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wilshire » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:53 pm

The 4th switch (momentary direction) on mine is really hard to press, like its caught on something before it releases Has anyone else noticed this? It sort of eliminates the ability to play it like a crossfader, which seems like the whole point with the vactorals and momentary on.

I'd be curious if Divkids aware of any variance in manufacturing. Somehow im able to accept an imperfection in a module if it's "normal" vs just feeling like I got a crappy one

megarat
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by megarat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 pm

geremyf wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:27 pm
Also, I am in the upside-down camp with respect to switches/jacks. All of my contoller/sequencer stuff is on the bottom rows.

Because of the upside-down-ness I would like to make a custom panel (also I dislike black panels). Has the panel FPD file been shared?
Have you been able to make any progress on this? I’m in the exact same boat as you, and an inverted silver panel for Mutes would make my day. I would love to buy one or otherwise go in on this somehow.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by cackland » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:13 pm

ben_hex wrote:for those that have asked I'll get the schematic sorted and uploaded for people soon.
Any update on this Ben?

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Wilshire wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:53 pm
The 4th switch (momentary direction) on mine is really hard to press, like its caught on something before it releases Has anyone else noticed this? It sort of eliminates the ability to play it like a crossfader, which seems like the whole point with the vactorals and momentary on.

I'd be curious if Divkids aware of any variance in manufacturing. Somehow im able to accept an imperfection in a module if it's "normal" vs just feeling like I got a crappy one
I'm wondering a little about the overall switch quality, too. I started by buying a pre-owned Mutes on Reverb, which arrived with switch 4 bent upwards and non-functioning (despite being packed well). The seller was great and refunded the purchase price plus return postage with no quibble, so...

... I bought a new one. It works fine, but there is noticeable, vertical play in switch 3.

Anybody else having any issues with switch quality?
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Mouser part numbers for building Mutes

Post by kpreid » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:07 pm

kpreid wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 am
I ambitiously purchased a Mutes panel+PCB set from Thonk, and I think I can get all the parts to spec except for the switches. Does anyone know if the panel holes will accept a 1/4" (6.35mm or a little less) bushing for the switch instead of 6mm?
Followup: 1/4" fits, and here's the parts I used from my build. In particular, I got the particular switches and LEDs from Mouser, so this list should be good for builders in the USA starting with PCB+panel+vactrols.
  • Mutes PCB, panel, and vactrols: Thonk
  • Jacks and jack nuts: Thonk (or Control or synthCube in the US)
  • ON-OFF-(ON) switches: C&K 7107SYZQE (Mouser 611-7107-001) (Note: bat rather than paddle handle. Might be less comfortable.)
  • LEDs: Lumex SSL-LX20465ID (Mouser 696-SSL-LX20465ID) (Note: these are not Befaco's standard LED but they fit perfectly in the panel holes and stop at the right depth!)
  • Female header: Mouser 517-929852-01-04-RA
  • Male header: Mouser 538-10-89-7442 (Note: This is a long breakaway strip so it can be used for other purposes. 538-10-89-7082 would be the exact size version.)
  • M3 standoffs: Mouser 761-M2107-3005-SS
Items on Befaco's BOM but not listed because I had them from other sources: 90° power header, M3 nuts, M3 screws, power cable.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm

There's no way to run this module passively (without power), is there?
https://soonco.me
(dub and dancehall gone modular)

FS (US): 2hp Delay, more...

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:27 pm

soon_come wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm
No, it utilizes vactrols, which need power.

Check out the Doepfer A-182-2 for a passive alternative. It’s technically a quad dual switch, but it functions as a mute if the second output doesn’t go anywhere.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm

megarat wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:27 pm
soon_come wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm
No, it utilizes vactrols, which need power.

Check out the Doepfer A-182-2 for a passive alternative. It’s technically a quad dual switch, but it functions as a mute if the second output doesn’t go anywhere.
Thanks for the quick confirmation. I know of plenty of passive circuits which utilize vactrols, so I don't think that's a hard reason, but it's good to know this absolutely requires power.
https://soonco.me
(dub and dancehall gone modular)

FS (US): 2hp Delay, more...

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

soon_come wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm
Thanks for the quick confirmation. I know of plenty of passive circuits which utilize vactrols, so I don't think that's a hard reason, but it's good to know this absolutely requires power.
Interesting. Vactrols use light, which require power, so I'm curious about how a passive circuit with vactrols would work. I wonder if they get their necessary power from the voltage in the input signal.

That said, my prior statement was only based on the expectation that vactrols require power, and that the module itself has a power connector, which I assumed was for more than just the LEDs. It wasn't based on empirical knowledge or experimentation. If no one else chimes in with authoritative knowledge, I'll do an experiment with my own Mutes to see if it works w/o power.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:06 am

Confirmed: with no power, no sound/CV goes through, regardless of the position of the switch.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”