Verbos Mini horse

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

User avatar
MalteSteiner
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:00 am
Location: Aalborg
Contact:

Post by MalteSteiner » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 am

just noticed this thread, I had the exact same issue like Christie, the master section got stuck to values after some months, only the individual outputs kept working. I sent it back for repair and apparently some ics needed to be replaced. It works now but lets see.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: Washington DC

Post by Voggg » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:13 pm

I'd feel better about picking one up if the custom case were released, but it still doesn't seem to be available, at least not in the US...

User avatar
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
Location: Yamcouver
Contact:

Re:

Post by chaosick » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

MalteSteiner wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 am
just noticed this thread, I had the exact same issue like Christie, the master section got stuck to values after some months, only the individual outputs kept working. I sent it back for repair and apparently some ics needed to be replaced. It works now but lets see.
Wow, just unacceptable. After reading threads and threads of Verbos modules like this over the past few years, the question has really become: is there a Verbos module in existence that doesn't have multiple instances of documented evidence of failed or faulty functioning? This attached with their top 20% of the market pricing, combined with a certain "too cool" devoted aesthetic that seems to emanate from certain groups around them (and of course, make no allusions ever as to these repeated problems with their products) has become comical. I owned several Verbos modules in the past, and this was the first new one to intrigue me in awhile, but it has cemented my intention to not buy it or any other ones in the future. It just really seems like a bad gamble these days given the high competition/high quality market phase eurorack is now in, they seem to think they are operating in a vacuum and can get away with these things.

pines
Common Wiggler
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:56 am
Location: New York

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by pines » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 am

I bought a Mini Horse this week. Fixed voltages, variable voltages, and gates worked as expected.

Pressure voltages did not have a smooth response... audibly or on the scope. Not steppy exactly, but jagged. Easily tamed by patching through a slew.

Position voltage not smooth, as above, but once again ok through a slew. The position voltages on several pads would jump from 0 to the full 10 volts when I would slide my finger off the bottom of the pad. This happened randomly, but frequently. So, for my purposes, the position voltages were unusable. As is the module is unusable.

Two days in the case, and I shipped it back to the great folks at Detroit Modular. They are going to test their inventory and see if any of them are working correctly. If one tests ok, I’ll have them send it to me, as this will be a great module for certain control functions that I want to use.

The unit was installed in a new Make Noise skiff. My grounding is solid.
Emailed Verbos..... no response yet.

advrsry
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 am
Location: Modular Grid

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by advrsry » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm

These reports are pretty discouraging. I was looking forward to buying it however I think now I'll wait till I get to go to SchneidersLaden or somewhere similar to try one out in person etc.

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6598
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Re: Re:

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:53 pm

chaosick wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm
MalteSteiner wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 am
just noticed this thread, I had the exact same issue like Christie, the master section got stuck to values after some months, only the individual outputs kept working. I sent it back for repair and apparently some ics needed to be replaced. It works now but lets see.
Wow, just unacceptable. After reading threads and threads of Verbos modules like this over the past few years, the question has really become: is there a Verbos module in existence that doesn't have multiple instances of documented evidence of failed or faulty functioning? This attached with their top 20% of the market pricing, combined with a certain "too cool" devoted aesthetic that seems to emanate from certain groups around them (and of course, make no allusions ever as to these repeated problems with their products) has become comical. I owned several Verbos modules in the past, and this was the first new one to intrigue me in awhile, but it has cemented my intention to not buy it or any other ones in the future. It just really seems like a bad gamble these days given the high competition/high quality market phase eurorack is now in, they seem to think they are operating in a vacuum and can get away with these things.
Yep. I have the 5 Stage only and don't recall reading anything negative about that one. I did wait 18 months or so after it was released before I bought one. I had the Scan and Pan in my sights for quite a while, but that seems to still suffer from some inconsistencies over the years, so I have given it a pass.

The 5 Stage Sequence Selector is great though. Use it with my Sputnik 5 Stage Programmer for a great combo.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3813
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by Daisuk » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 pm

I've been wanting something like this, but I just don't feel safe buying Verbos stuff - too many reports of faulty modules, shitty support, not to mention the steep asking price for pretty much all of them.

Is there anything similar out there apart from Pressure Points? I've been eyeing the Korb Modular "Pusher", which looks pretty nice, but would love that extra CV out (position) per channel, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask afterall.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by slumberjack » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 pm
I've been wanting something like this, but I just don't feel safe buying Verbos stuff - too many reports of faulty modules, shitty support, not to mention the steep asking price for pretty much all of them.

Is there anything similar out there apart from Pressure Points? I've been eyeing the Korb Modular "Pusher", which looks pretty nice, but would love that extra CV out (position) per channel, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask afterall.
maybe serge tkb from arc. or elby hast some touchplates too.

User avatar
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
Location: Yamcouver
Contact:

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by chaosick » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:45 am

Daisuk wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 pm
I've been wanting something like this, but I just don't feel safe buying Verbos stuff - too many reports of faulty modules, shitty support, not to mention the steep asking price for pretty much all of them.

Is there anything similar out there apart from Pressure Points? I've been eyeing the Korb Modular "Pusher", which looks pretty nice, but would love that extra CV out (position) per channel, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask afterall.
I have an Intellijel 7U so I bought their 1U FSR and really like it..plan to buy a 2nd.

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3813
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:47 am

Cheers, guys. I'll have a look. :)

eddy72
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: Yes

Re: Lifeforms Touch Controller Pittsburgh Modular

Post by eddy72 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:18 pm

stickmann wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:47 pm
R*S modules use 5vpp and Verbos uses 10vpp. Without attenuation, that means only the bottom half of the sliders will change most R*S modulation inputs. Most R*S have attenuation for their inputs but it is something you’ll need to deal with.
what about Lifeforms Touch Controller, Pittsburgh Modular £370ish
good cheaper working option?
5vpp?

there's Tokyo Tape Music Center Touch Controlled Voltage Source MODEL 112 too but twice the price of Lifeforms one, plus out of stock

stephentrask
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by stephentrask » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 pm
I've been wanting something like this, but I just don't feel safe buying Verbos stuff - too many reports of faulty modules, shitty support, not to mention the steep asking price for pretty much all of them.

Is there anything similar out there apart from Pressure Points? I've been eyeing the Korb Modular "Pusher", which looks pretty nice, but would love that extra CV out (position) per channel, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask afterall.
People write to complain about the Verbos stuff but there is no evidence that it is in any way actually more problematic than products by other companies. Every once in a while, especially if you have the first run of something, you might have an issue. Also, their stuff is only tested on their power supplies. Crappier power may produce crappier results. Intelligel PSUs work great with Verbos stuff, however.
i don't know what I'm doing but I sure like doing it.

User avatar
rew_
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Verbos Mini horse

Post by rew_ » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:24 pm

stephentrask wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:08 pm
Also, their stuff is only tested on their power supplies.
if this is true it's basically malpractice
whoosy boxes / zoomy panels

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”