1U Tile FAQ

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

thx2112
Veteran Wiggler

1U Tile FAQ

Post by thx2112 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:56 am

Hey, I wrote a FAQ for 1U Tiles.

If you know of any other makers of 1U Tiles or cases that can hold 1U Tiles send me a link so I can add them.

If there are any other questions ask them here or on the page or PM me and I'll add them.

Thanks!

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Great job!!!
:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Last edited by Flatscan on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: undoing the damage

rurs
Common Wiggler

Post by rurs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 am

Great resource, thanks for putting it together.

You could add Foxfield to the list of manufactures: https://foxfield-instruments.com

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:26 am

York Modular in the UK makes 1U tiles in PL format too yomo.interzen.co.uk
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

thx2112
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thx2112 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:14 am

Added. Thanks!

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:28 pm

There are some DIY 1U modules that are wide rather than tiny like these:

https://pushermanproductions.com/product-tag/mxmxmx/

thx2112
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thx2112 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks. I've been meaning to pick one of those up.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:08 am

Me too :tu:
Last edited by Flatscan on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: undoing the damage

rurs
Common Wiggler

Post by rurs » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:24 am

I thought this would be an Intellijel vs Pulplogic 1U FAQ with tips on adapting cases and modules between each format, etc. but uh.. this seems like a thinly-veiled advert for your eurotiles format?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Korg Prologue 16, Erica Synths Fusion Mixer v3, Frequency Central Raging Bull 3.0]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 am

versipellis wrote:I thought this would be an Intellijel vs Pulplogic 1U FAQ with tips on adapting cases and modules between each format, etc. but uh.. this seems like a thinly-veiled advert for your eurotiles format?
Every post on this damn subforum is an advertisement. At least thx2112 is promoting the work of others as well and compiling a resource for the community.

Tips for adapting Intellijel to Pulp Logic: make a new panel.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:17 pm

The lack of standardization in 1U stuff is mind boggling. Or rather the per-manufacturer self invented "standards". 1U stuff should be 1U in height, not some weird smaller proprietary height. And "tile-tails" are just stupid - I cut them off and solder on proper euro power connectors. I thought I was being clever adding 2 1U rows in my large euro case, but it's looking like I might not ever fill both of them (I will eventually, but it'll be diy stuff). (sorry, end rant)
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

note!

Post by note! » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Why do people shit on Intellijel 1U? They are doing great stuff and their cases are nice

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm

sduck. Are 3u modules exactly 3u in height?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:46 pm

note! wrote:Why do people shit on Intellijel 1U? They are doing great stuff and their cases are nice
Mostly because they're big (for an Eurorack module maker, that is) and because PulpLogic did 1U stuff first.

I don't get the "proprietary" complaints either, though. The Intellijel standard is just as open as the PulpLogic one.

And also someone please tell PulpLogic, Erthenvar, Syinsi, Tsiklon et al that 104 is not divisible by 6.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:47 pm

sduck wrote:The lack of standardization in 1U stuff is mind boggling. Or rather the per-manufacturer self invented "standards". 1U stuff should be 1U in height, not some weird smaller proprietary height. And "tile-tails" are just stupid - I cut them off and solder on proper euro power connectors. I thought I was being clever adding 2 1U rows in my large euro case, but it's looking like I might not ever fill both of them (I will eventually, but it'll be diy stuff). (sorry, end rant)
Not any worse than the lack of standardization in 5U!
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:54 pm

sduck wrote:The lack of standardization in 1U stuff is mind boggling. Or rather the per-manufacturer self invented "standards". 1U stuff should be 1U in height, not some weird smaller proprietary height. And "tile-tails" are just stupid - I cut them off and solder on proper euro power connectors. I thought I was being clever adding 2 1U rows in my large euro case, but it's looking like I might not ever fill both of them (I will eventually, but it'll be diy stuff). (sorry, end rant)
This is exactly how I feel.

Nonlinearcircuits releasing 1U Sloths has really helped me fill my 1U row. I really like the Tsyklon labs stuff but they seem to have gone extinct. I have a couple basic Synthrotek pieces. Syinsi stuff looks cool but nothing I'm looking for ATM.

I may use the opportunity of filling in the 1U spaces to try to put together my own board layouts for some simple circuits that I'm otherwise lacking.

I realize it's a dead horse by now and not to derail this thread but Intellijel's decision to introduce their own "1U" format after an established model was already in use is truly perplexing and infuriating. A disservice to the eurorack community, from such a well-respected company.
note! wrote:Why do people shit on Intellijel 1U? They are doing great stuff and their cases are nice
The reason it matters is that it forces people either to build a case to accomodate just one company's idiosyncratic decision, or to accommodate what everyone else does, as was established by PulpLogic. Because Intellijel is such a big player, they have the influence to push smaller designers to the fringes. They could easily have made their fucking panels the same height we were already using and there would never have been an issue. Instead they needlessly created a format war that essentially pits a Big Player against the DIY and independent scene while also stealing credit from the original innovators.

I don't have any Intellijel "1U", but if I did I could repanel them to fit my 1U row. But what if I had an intellijel case? Many real 1U PCBs cannot be made to fit behind an Intellijel "1U" panel. That's what makes it obnoxiously pseudo-proprietary. Yes, anyone can build cases or modules in accordance with Intellijel's standard. But they shouldn't have to pick in the first place because we already had a 1U standard in place before Intellijel started doing it.
Arneb wrote: And also someone please tell PulpLogic, Erthenvar, Syinsi, Tsiklon et al that 104 is not divisible by 6.
Sure, but 84 is, and 84 is the canonical rack size.
Last edited by Whelm on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Whelm wrote:Sure, but 84 is, and 84 is the canonical rack size.
Yes, in the "Doepfer was first" sense, but Doepfer himself never limited the A-1xx series to multiples of 6.

Tbh I don't really see the point of a 84HP case with 1U space. The most important use case for 1U seems to be racks making the most of airline carry-on requirements, and 84 is kinda too small for this particular purpose. I don't think there's much reason to buy a 7Ux84HP case over a 6Ux104HP one; you lose flexibility and the very little gain in absolute area will likely be lost to the inefficiencies of the 1U format.

7Ux96HP or 7Ux102HP cases would be kinda useful as a less corner-cutting version of 7Ux104HP, but no one seems to build those.
Last edited by Arneb on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Henfield wrote:
Not any worse than the lack of standardization in 5U!
:hihi: Most of us 5U folks know of a similar issue in our world similar to the 1U/Tile issue, with modules known as CP height that are roughly a little over 5U tall. :ripbanana:

In short and off the top of my head, long ago Moog had some left over space at the bottom of their slanted cabinets because their 5U modules were too deep to fit all the way down, so they came up with CP sized panels to hold simple utility modules that were shallow, like mixers and attenuators etc. Then Moog and modular in general pretty much gave up the ghost with few exceptions in the 1980's. Then almost 30 years later, Club Of The Knobs (COTK), one of the premier 5U manufacturers started making some CP modules, and since they also make their own cabinets, their CP modules fit perfectly in them, but were slightly taller than the Moog CP panels . Then a year or three later Moon and Mos-Lab started making CP panels as well (exactly to the same size Moog made theirs) and after awhile someone happened to try to put a COTK CP panel in a Moon, Mos-Lab, Moog case OR tried to put one of the other's CP panels in a COTK case and there was much wailing, tearing of hair and beating of breasts. :omg: :cry: :nuke: :mrgreen:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:20 pm

exper wrote:sduck. Are 3u modules exactly 3u in height?
3U panels are not 3U high for the VERY SAME reasons the intelijel 1U panels are not 1U. They are designed for use with rails with a lip that subtracts from the overall size. The standard "3U" Eurorack panel is around 5.059 inches or 128.5mm tall, 3U specification is 5.219 inches or 132.6mm tall.

Intelligel uses lipped rails for all their cabinets, so used them for the 1U too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:24 pm

@Whelm, you should see the irony in mentioning canonical rack size and supporting the PL 1U format. While they were ‘first’ with 1u tiles, the fact is, they designed it kind of wrong. A 3u eurorack module is not 3u in height. It accommodates rail variances. This was all put out in Doepfer’s original euroack modular design standards. The ‘canon’, so to speak. Therefore, a 1u module should also not measure exactly 1u in height.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:26 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
exper wrote:sduck. Are 3u modules exactly 3u in height?
3U panels are not 3U high for the VERY SAME reasons the intelijel 1U panels are not 1U. They are designed for use with rails with a lip that subtracts from the overall size. The standard "3U" Eurorack panel is around 5.059 inches or 128.5mm tall, 3U specification is 5.219 inches or 132.6mm tall.

Intelligel uses lipped rails for all their cabinets, so used them for the 1U too.
Exactly. And intellijel are not the only company with lipped rails.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Whelm wrote:Sure, but 84 is, and 84 is the canonical rack size.
The reason that the rails in most rack systems are 84 or 85 HP un width is because of the ears needed to hold the rails. The EAI standard rack is specified with the interior dimension of being 17.720 minimum between the mounting rails, this leaves 1.28 inches for the rack ears (0.64 each). The standard Vector rail is 16.85 inches long (.05" longer than 84HP) so leaves room for 1" ears.

Any wider and some racks would be too tight a fit.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:05 pm

exper wrote:@Whelm, you should see the irony in mentioning canonical rack size and supporting the PL 1U format. While they were ‘first’ with 1u tiles, the fact is, they designed it kind of wrong. A 3u eurorack module is not 3u in height. It accommodates rail variances. This was all put out in Doepfer’s original euroack modular design standards. The ‘canon’, so to speak. Therefore, a 1u module should also not measure exactly 1u in height.
I actually wasn't pointing out cannonical rack size in support of PulpLogic 1U panels, if you care to go back and look. That was a comment about why someone might make a panel in a width that is not a factor of 104 -- ie, that cases come in lengths other than 104HP.

The only argument I've made in favour of the original 1U standard is that it is the original, it was already in use, and it continues to be used by everyone except Intellijel.

I appreciate that intellijel has their reasons for why they did what they did. I am not of the mind that those reasons justify the stupidity of having two different 1U standards in Euro.

EDIT: just to be clear, I get that there are different opinions on this. I also am not hating on Intellijel. I'm a satisfied customer and think they make great stuff. I just don't like this thing they did.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Whelm wrote:
exper wrote:@Whelm, you should see the irony in mentioning canonical rack size and supporting the PL 1U format. While they were ‘first’ with 1u tiles, the fact is, they designed it kind of wrong. A 3u eurorack module is not 3u in height. It accommodates rail variances. This was all put out in Doepfer’s original euroack modular design standards. The ‘canon’, so to speak. Therefore, a 1u module should also not measure exactly 1u in height.
I actually wasn't pointing out cannonical rack size in support of PulpLogic 1U panels, if you care to go back and look. That was a comment about why someone might make a panel in a width that is not a factor of 104 -- ie, that cases come in lengths other than 104HP.
That would have been me. I wasn't really calling 104HP "canonical", what I was implying is that, outside of the DIY scene at least, 104HP is the most likely width of a case whose owner would wish to use 1U modules.

I also wasn't complaining about PulpLogic specifically but about the tile ecosystem in general. One maker having weird views on HP is not an issue, Erica or The Harvestman seem to do fine. But with the tiles ecosystem, it seems to be impossible to fill an 104HP row without a Synthrotek ribbon, again unless you're going DIY. Even Tsyklon's 1HP blinds are discontinued ffs.
The only argument I've made in favour of the original 1U standard is that it is the original, it was already in use, and it continues to be used by everyone except Intellijel.
I'm not sure whether I'm even willing to call the PulpLogic size a standard at this point, because everyone in the game seems to do different visions about it. PL's original vision seems to have been an uber skiff, and also they clearly put DIY first. Syinsi would like to establish tiles as an AE-Modular-style competitor to Eurorack. Synthrotek is making "bastard tiles" IIUC - PulpLogic size, Intellijel wiring.
I appreciate that intellijel has their reasons for why they did what they did. I am not of the mind that those reasons justify the stupidity of having two different 1U standards in Euro.
If this was just about sizes I'd agree with you. However I'm beginning to suspect that Intellijel did not want to deal with PulpLogic's power connector idiosyncrasies simply because the average Intellijel customer does not want to.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”