BitBox vs Erica Sample Drum

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

BitBox vs Erica Sample Drum

Post by Ceres » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:20 pm

The Sample Drum is $250 less than the BitBox so I imagine there are some big differences I am missing. I realize the Erica module is just starting to ship. I’ve looked into both but I’ve not had a sampler module so I am not well versed. They both seem to be more comparable than modules like Assimil8or, ER-301 or SSP. So what stands out to you as major differences between the BitBox and the Erica sampler?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:36 am

I didn't even know that existed but it could be the sampler I'm looking for. I'd love a Bitbox, but I definitely don't have a spare 26HP (I don't have 14 either but I could probably work something out.

From my first cursory look, I think the main difference would be that the Bitbox offers 4 note polyphony. The Sample Drum looks like it's only 2, which would probably be enough for me.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:54 am

Bitbox has 16 channels you can play at the same time (if loaded in memory).
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:35 am

Damn, thought it was only 4.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 am

The bitbox will let you do multirack live loop recording Ableton live style... sample drum won’t.

shellfritsch
Common Wiggler

Post by shellfritsch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am

bitbox can record and play stereo samples. sample drum is mono.
sample drum has on board effects like delay, reverb, etc. bitbox has no effects.

brandonlogic
have you used the bitbox to live loop? i tried it out in the store and the loop recording seemed really buggy and would glitch out every time. i've heard that if you use midi clock it's more stable - but part of the appeal for me is being able to use it with modular clock signals.

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:59 am

I don't have a Bitbox (yet), but also apparently you can change out the BitBox firmware for the FX or Synthbox modules, which would make it I think one of the most versatile and cost-effective modules on the market today.

If you had a Bitbox 2.0 and Synthbox side by side, it would be a 16 voice drum machine and a polyphonic synthesizer on a eurorack, 52 hp for $1300.

seems like one of the best deals in Eurorack if you're not an analog purist.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 am

shellfritsch wrote:bitbox can record and play stereo samples. sample drum is mono.
sample drum has on board effects like delay, reverb, etc. bitbox has no effects.

brandonlogic
have you used the bitbox to live loop? i tried it out in the store and the loop recording seemed really buggy and would glitch out every time. i've heard that if you use midi clock it's more stable - but part of the appeal for me is being able to use it with modular clock signals.
I've had luck using it as a live looper but true that it is only stable using midi clock sync. The issue too with using an analog clock is the lack of a input for a reset signal.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 am

shellfritsch wrote:bitbox can record and play stereo samples. sample drum is mono.

brandonlogic
I do not have one, but considering it. i have Pam's work out, and that outputs MIDI clock just for sync so no problem there for me.

Orange
Veteran Wiggler

Re: BitBox vs Erica Sample Drum

Post by Orange » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Ceres wrote:The Sample Drum is $250 less than the BitBox so I imagine there are some big differences I am missing. I realize the Erica module is just starting to ship. I’ve looked into both but I’ve not had a sampler module so I am not well versed. They both seem to be more comparable than modules like Assimil8or, ER-301 or SSP. So what stands out to you as major differences between the BitBox and the Erica sampler?
Hi,
You should also take a look at the 4ms sampler module. Almost same pricerange as the Erica sample drum.
4ms is more hp though, but has no display (pro or con...).

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:46 am

Orange wrote:
Ceres wrote:The Sample Drum is $250 less than the BitBox so I imagine there are some big differences I am missing. I realize the Erica module is just starting to ship. I’ve looked into both but I’ve not had a sampler module so I am not well versed. They both seem to be more comparable than modules like Assimil8or, ER-301 or SSP. So what stands out to you as major differences between the BitBox and the Erica sampler?
Hi,
You should also take a look at the 4ms sampler module. Almost same pricerange as the Erica sample drum.
4ms is more hp though, but has no display (pro or con...).
Sorry but Apples to Oranges here IMO. Similar but very different IMO

Jasonic
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasonic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 pm

The bitbox is a really great sampler. Fun to use. Fun to chop loops and feed CV to make wild beats. Touch screen is nice for editing, and can even be used for performance in a pinch. Load a ton of samples on one micro card, and just drag and drop from your computer to card, plug it in, and a new library is at your touch screen finger tips. And so on. I love slicing breaks with it, and controlled with a beatstep pro, you have a modular version of Dr.Rex. Control from Grids and beatstep pro, and you are like a one man marching drum core band. Also great for your zoom handy recorders to bring wonderful outside world of natural ambience into your techno tracks. Chop a recording of the trash truck, and make a beat, etc....

The erica synths version; Looks lovely, and I will need to get one to tell you more about it.

pisrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by pisrecords » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm

wich one have more latency ?

ADMIN in latin eurorack group . https://www.facebook.com/groups/906628619403191/

sorry 4 my poor English words.

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 pm

I would get the Bitbox micro over either and have fun. Bitbox micro does way more than Erica Synths sample drums.

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:21 pm

This. Absolutely this. Had both, sold sample drum fairly quickly.
mixxalot wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 pm
I would get the Bitbox micro over either and have fun. Bitbox micro does way more than Erica Synths sample drums.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 pm

jkanizzle wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:21 pm
mixxalot wrote:

From reading in other threads, Bitbox micro seems like it has firmware issues.

Have those been resolved?

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 pm

I personally haven't experienced any, and things have been smooth sailing since getting it when it was first released. Obviously YMMV.
closedLoop wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 pm
jkanizzle wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:21 pm
mixxalot wrote:

From reading in other threads, Bitbox micro seems like it has firmware issues.

Have those been resolved?

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

pisrecords wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm
wich one have more latency ?
BitBox

Helpful guide here -> https://doudoroff.com/samplers/

studio460
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by studio460 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 pm

shellfritsch wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am
bitbox can record and play stereo samples. sample drum is mono.
Bitbox Mk II has now added reverb and delay.

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Eh, that firmware issue with Bitbox worries me a bit. Hope it either has been resolved or gets fixed quickly. I would wait on that module. I like what Assimil8or does but the high price tag and tiny screen gives me pause on getting it as my sampler.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:33 pm

bitbox doesn't have firmware issues. It has screen hardware issues with certain batches of the unit. 1010 has promptly fixed anyone having that issue with a new unit.

My mk2 is solid as a rock and I love it.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm

rayultine wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:33 pm
bitbox doesn't have firmware issues. It has screen hardware issues with certain batches of the unit. 1010 has promptly fixed anyone having that issue with a new unit.

My mk2 is solid as a rock and I love it.
Is that the Micro or the MK2? I thought I read that the Micro had issues, but those could be resolved.

The Bitbox Micro looks great, and does so much more than my Sample Drum. My only other apprehension is the power consumption. It looks like the Bitbox takes another 300mA over the Sample Drum.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:06 pm

UGH sorry!!! Yes, screen issues have only been a problem with the micro. I don't think anyone with the full mk2 has mentioned any dire screen issues on the 1010 forum.

I have my own small beef with how the mk2 was rolled out, and that it has barely extended the feature set of the mk1, but I had always wanted a mk1 bitbox anyway. It does what it says on the tin and I have no deal-breaking complaints about being an early adopter.

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm

For what it's worth, my bitbox micro is super rock solid. Never had any issues with it to date.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 pm

namon wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm
For what it's worth, my bitbox micro is super rock solid. Never had any issues with it to date.
Ditto. No problems at all with my Micro. Absolutely brilliant sampler. I also have the Sample Drum which is also fantastic in its own way.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”