Intellijel Palette 4.5U Cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:57 pm

intellijel wrote:
versipellis wrote:
intellijel wrote:
versipellis wrote:
intellijel wrote:
Bigwerm wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when the lids and bags for these cases will be available?
The lids are finally in our warehouse and just need to be put on the website this week. Bags will be done by October 25th but it will take a few weeks for them to arrive in Canada (by boat). I may air freight some of them so they are available sooner.

thanks for the patience!
Any news on this yet?
Yes the lids are on our site and shipping to retailers.
Palette Lids (at bottom of page)

Bags still on schedule to be done by Oct 28th but then I will have to figure out how many I air freight vs. send by boat.
I.. did not expect such a beefy tall lid. Are there plans to release any smaller form factor lids for those of us who don't need to travel with cables patched? The picture looks like it more than doubles the height of the case.
Lid is the same height as the Palette when installed. i.e. it doubles the size
A shallower lid would not be that much shorter if you consider modules that protrude like joysticks. The bags were also sized to accommodate the Palette + Lid so it all works as a system. I commute with this on a daily basis and it is a nice, portable size imho.

To get these made requires expensive tooling for a mold and a substantial MOQ. It is unfortunately not feasible for us to get two different sizes of lids + bags. We have assumed based on past customer feedback that the option to keep a system patched is preferential.

Thanks for answering! The angled picture and the curves on it made it look like a lot bigger than it actually is. I have my Palette in a flight case with my other synths and elektron gear (easier to gig with), so the doubling in height is a little worrisome for gigging with. But.. not needing to disconnect patches is also nice :D
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, Xaoc Belgrad, NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Crimesofthecrown wrote: I was answering Glitchmachines answer not talking to you.

BUT

Why are you talking to me like I've never done those things before like going straight from work/practice space to a venue? Do you know what its like to go on tour and do that whole thing? Enlighten me please because I might have forgotten about what its like to dedicate my life to playing music and touring the USA and Europe the past 5 years and inshallah Japan next year. I don't care what you do little homey because its not on my level, thats for damn sure.

Intellijel did kill it and I will be buying the lid and case because I'm going to need it for sure to go from my house to the airport to Japan in 2020.
Wow, that’s a spectacularly overblown response.

cowboyelectronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboyelectronics » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:
Crimesofthecrown wrote: I was answering Glitchmachines answer not talking to you.

BUT

Why are you talking to me like I've never done those things before like going straight from work/practice space to a venue? Do you know what its like to go on tour and do that whole thing? Enlighten me please because I might have forgotten about what its like to dedicate my life to playing music and touring the USA and Europe the past 5 years and inshallah Japan next year. I don't care what you do little homey because its not on my level, thats for damn sure.

Intellijel did kill it and I will be buying the lid and case because I'm going to need it for sure to go from my house to the airport to Japan in 2020.
Wow, that’s a spectacularly overblown response.
found my new favorite copypasta

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:14 pm

nrg242 wrote:forgive me if this is a stupid question from a power standpoint, but could you power this using a barrel cable from a 4ms Podx that has its own power brick? assuming the barrel plugs are the same (2.1mm positive center). 4ms says their brick can power up to 10 pods so just wondering....

their power brick is stated as 15V/3A (45W).

imagining a Palette alongside a Pod48x that has my ER-301 in it.
hmm, based on answers from 4ms about their row power, I believe the same would apply for the pod system.

viewtopic.php?p=1394111

So it should work! I'll test it out next week and report back :)

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:03 am

is no one else thinking it may be more than pure coincidence this is exactly the type of lid TTA release in the not so distant past...
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:26 am

Severed head wrote:is no one else thinking it may be more than pure coincidence this is exactly the type of lid TTA release in the not so distant past...
It's a common type of lid used for a lot of synths, turntables, mixers, etc. Check out decksaver.com for example.
Intellijel R&D

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:04 pm

kisielk wrote:
Severed head wrote:is no one else thinking it may be more than pure coincidence this is exactly the type of lid TTA release in the not so distant past...
It's a common type of lid used for a lot of synths, turntables, mixers, etc. Check out decksaver.com for example.
Can +1 this. They're really good lids. I've been using Decksaver lids for.. oh.. Almost 10 years now?
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, Xaoc Belgrad, NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 pm

Yeah, it's not exactly an original idea :) But we thought it would look cool to protect the modules in the palette but still be able to show them off on your desk or wherever
Intellijel R&D

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:09 pm

plainjanefrancis wrote:
nrg242 wrote:forgive me if this is a stupid question from a power standpoint, but could you power this using a barrel cable from a 4ms Podx that has its own power brick? assuming the barrel plugs are the same (2.1mm positive center). 4ms says their brick can power up to 10 pods so just wondering....

their power brick is stated as 15V/3A (45W).

imagining a Palette alongside a Pod48x that has my ER-301 in it.
hmm, based on answers from 4ms about their row power, I believe the same would apply for the pod system.

viewtopic.php?p=1394111

So it should work! I'll test it out next week and report back :)
I can confirm that the 4ms powered POD and Intellijel Palette case are compatible. I used the PSU that came with the Intellijel case, connect it first to the Pod, then daisy chain to the Palette and all works as it should.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:14 am

kisielk wrote:Yeah, it's not exactly an original idea :) But we thought it would look cool to protect the modules in the palette but still be able to show them off on your desk or wherever
It's not a bad thing! They're good, solid, dependable lids. I use them extensively for gear that goes gigging or gets tossed into a backpack and then into an airplane overhead bin. They're not a bad choice to go with - even Elektron uses them officially ;) its nice to know my palette will be similarly protected.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Palette 4.5U Cases

Post by versipellis » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:17 pm

I got my lid from Perfect Circuit earlier this week. These are not the same Decksaver lids that I'm accustomed to, that I've used on all the rest of my gear (and that Elektron also license from them). Just looking at it, it's clear that the material is completely different - the lid is completely clear, while the typical Decksaver lids are closer to a semi-opaque grey.

The most damning part of this is that the lid is incredibly flexible. It's soft, and even though it's more or less the same thickness as my other Decksaver lids, it's incredibly soft with a lot of flex to it. I would not trust this lid to toss into a backpack the same way I can toss any of my Elektron gear in, buyers beware.

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ATW » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 pm

versipellis wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:17 pm
I got my lid from Perfect Circuit earlier this week.
Was it this one?
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/intellij ... 2-lid.html

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:33 pm

ATW wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 pm
versipellis wrote:
I got my lid from Perfect Circuit earlier this week.
Was it this one?
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/intellij ... 2-lid.html
Yes. That the Intellijel official lid. Needless to say I plan to 3d print my own.

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ATW » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:46 pm

Keep us posted, I want to see how that turns out. (And put in an order if you decide to put it on the market ;-)

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:07 pm

versipellis wrote:
I got my lid from Perfect Circuit earlier this week. These are not the same Decksaver lids that I'm accustomed to, that I've used on all the rest of my gear (and that Elektron also license from them). Just looking at it, it's clear that the material is completely different - the lid is completely clear, while the typical Decksaver lids are closer to a semi-opaque grey.

The most damning part of this is that the lid is incredibly flexible. It's soft, and even though it's more or less the same thickness as my other Decksaver lids, it's incredibly soft with a lot of flex to it. I would not trust this lid to toss into a backpack the same way I can toss any of my Elektron gear in, buyers beware.
Decksaver lids are way shallower which makes them more rigid. Their material may be slightly thicker too but this is polycarbonate (aka Lexan) and is technically bullet proof. You can confidently throw this in your back back, sit on it, bump it etc. and it will keep everything in your palette perfectly safe. Perhaps I will film a stress video....

As for tinted vs. clear this is just what the factory had available for this thickness.

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:15 am

intellijel wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:07 pm

Decksaver lids are way shallower which makes them more rigid. Their material may be slightly thicker too but this is polycarbonate (aka Lexan) and is technically bullet proof. You can confidently throw this in your back back, sit on it, bump it etc. and it will keep everything in your palette perfectly safe. Perhaps I will film a stress video....

As for tinted vs. clear this is just what the factory had available for this thickness.
If you're going to do a stress video, any chance you can do something totally silly like what Giz at DJWorx did? https://djworx.com/video-review-decksaver-kontrol-f1/

I still get a good laugh when I watch that video...

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:22 am

intellijel wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:07 pm
versipellis wrote:

I'll be convinced with a stress test video. But the material certainly feels a lot more flexible and soft in comparison to existing Decksavers, and I am unconvinced it is because of the depth. It's not just the sidewalls, it's also the main lid itself. It exhibits more flex than my Analog Rytm 2's cover, which is much larger. If the surface area of that specific panel is the cause of the flex, then the AR2's cover should have more flex, not vice versa.

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:31 pm

Ok tell me what specific type of stress test will satisfy you and I will attempt to film it.

We have been using these lids with our bags for the past 6 months to commute daily to our offices (several of us take Palettes home on a regular basis and travel with them). So far zero problems with lids or bags. Work exactly as designed/advertised.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:34 am

Personally I've been putting mine in a tote bag and in my backpack without lid (unpatched thought) and it's fine as long as you don't throw it around...

Anyway really like this case ! This is the second mini system I've made with and I enjoyed it so much I made a little video about it :

A little of me talking, and a little unpretentious jam.

and a small taster :

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:09 am

Anyone squeezing in more than 12 modules using multi-connection power cords? Am I assuming correctly that using such cords wouldn't cause any sort of problem, as long as the total load was within the case's capability?

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Could you power one of these cases with a battery? Something like the Poweradd?

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:43 am

intellijel wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:31 pm
Ok tell me what specific type of stress test will satisfy you and I will attempt to film it.

We have been using these lids with our bags for the past 6 months to commute daily to our offices (several of us take Palettes home on a regular basis and travel with them). So far zero problems with lids or bags. Work exactly as designed/advertised.
I personally don't feel qualified to do any sort of design of experiments for stress-testing lids - but I think maybe showing it get tossed around in a backpack, getting stuff dropped on it, heavy weights like other synths
or drum machines on it? I think the most interesting stress tests would be to see under what conditions the lid fails, so we know where weak points or the limits of its capabilities are.

I trust you guys if you say that you've been taking them home on a regular basis - and full disclaimer for anyone reading my earlier criticisms, I ended up keeping the Palette lid because it lets me keep my cables patched in, despite my misgivings about the height of it before. Has anyone tried taking them on flights and dealing with the rigors of flying with it in a backpack or suitcase?

klacke
Common Wiggler

Post by klacke » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:01 am

soggybag wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 pm
Could you power one of these cases with a battery? Something like the Poweradd?

I would like to know this too. Or perhaps another recommendation for a good battery.

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:44 am

I've used an Omnicharge Omni 20 to power a Mantis case so it should be more than enough for this little dude.

ch3oh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ch3oh » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:02 pm

versipellis wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:43 am
Has anyone tried taking them on flights and dealing with the rigors of flying with it in a backpack or suitcase?
I was flying with it recently. My case had to share the room with other stuff in my bag, and the lid handled just fine — I had to put 2-3 kilos worth of stuff including my laptop on top of it and I was not worried at all. The lid is quite sturdy.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”