Intellijel Palette 4.5U Cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:13 am

Any update on when these will be available to purchase (in the UK)?
And what is the price?

emergency_librarian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emergency_librarian » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 am

chriscarter wrote:Any update on when these will be available to purchase (in the UK)?
And what is the price?
I'd also like to know availability and price in the UK. Very interested in these.

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 am

OK answering my own question here...

I just saw the Palette listed on Juno as 'forthcoming' and will be available in stealth or silver at £325.99

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/intelli ... 739055-01/

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:42 am

I’m sure we’ll see official pricing soon

Although it lists it as £271.66 for me

cheapimitation
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cheapimitation » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:34 am

I want to stick my WMD performance mixer and expanders (total of 60hp) in this one, seems like perfect solution - I'm slightly worried about the depth. Max depth for palette seems to be 46mm and WMD PM is 45mm... But there's tons of cables running beneath PM... it also runs hot, so not sure how great it would be with such a tight specs...

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:28 am

versipellis wrote:
scragz wrote:5V is part of the USB standard so it would have to provide power.
The number of amps output isn't standardized though, so it might not provide enough power for some heavier power draw devices. Worth asking Intellijel for exact specs.
The USB and TRS MIDI Jacks are "dummy" jacks that connect to the 1U uMIDI Module ( https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/1u/umidi-1u/ ). Allowing the 1U module to connect as a MIDI device (not host) on your computer. Since it's a device not a host, it does not provide power. Without the module those jacks do nothing, they are just connected to an internal header.

The 1/4" jacks are similar, multipurpose jacks meant to be pair with a 1U module for functionality, in this case, the 1U Stereo Out module, or Pedal I/O for Guitar/Pedal Send/Return.

We also have a 1U 4HP USB Power module that can plug onto a dedicated 5V header on the power supply to provide power to a USB device, up to 500mA, combine load on the 5V rail.

The Palette power supply is based on the same circuit as the TPS30 Mini ( https://intellijel.com/shop/power/mini- ... -busboard/ )
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 am

cheapimitation wrote:I want to stick my WMD performance mixer and expanders (total of 60hp) in this one, seems like perfect solution - I'm slightly worried about the depth. Max depth for palette seems to be 46mm and WMD PM is 45mm... But there's tons of cables running beneath PM... it also runs hot, so not sure how great it would be with such a tight specs...
The power supply is along the back of the case, leaving the bottom of the pretty free, there are some support screws on the left and the right, but they should not interfere.

If the WMD specs include the power header, then there should be no issue, but you may need to be strategic for the expander cables.
a boy at intellijel

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:17 pm

But when do they go on sale? ;)

gajimicu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gajimicu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 pm

They're not on the Intellijel website yet from what I could see.
Am I the only one who thinks its too much money for 64hp? even in 4u...
The mantis is just 50$ more!
I agree it's not the same style of case but still, price per hp on the palette is the most expensive I've ever seen...
And its not those mults, jacks and midi stuff that make it much better, they require tiles anyway.
The pod 60 is almost two times cheaper..!

Disclaimer: I love Intellijel, I have some of their modules and they are great!

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 pm

gajimicu wrote:They're not on the Intellijel website yet from what I could see.
I agree it's not the same style of case but still, price per hp on the palette is the most expensive I've ever seen...
And its not those mults, jacks and midi stuff that make it much better, they require tiles anyway.

The cost to make a case is not the simple math of $/hp. Just like in most other forms of electronic products it can often cost more to make something that is much slimmer and smaller. Also there are many different ways you can make a case and the design goals differ dramatically.

We spared no expense with both the design and manufacturing methods. We wanted a case that performed as well as it felt and looked. That's why the sides are cnc machined. The body is made of laser cut anodized aluminum. We use extruded rails with threaded steel inserts. Our PSU has tons of headers and could power a case twice its size (in fact it is the same PSU core used in our much bigger cases). We also developed new 1U modules purposely to work well with this size of case and make good use of the included i/o ports. You get a 2 x 1:4 buffered mult (that does not require any 1U modules to work with it) wich alone is equivalent to a $60-75 module!. The 40WMeanwell wallwart is also included along with a few other accessories.

Just for comparison, what are some examples of modules you can buy for $299? How many of those are just a single PCB and a panel? What do you think the build cost is on those compared to something far more complex and parts heavy like this case? How much comparable R&D went into both products?

Our case are locally fabricated and hand assembled in Vancouver, Canada.
We started boxing them up this week so your local dealer will be receiving them soon. We are excited to see how people start using them :)

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:48 pm

I'm still hoping for a 104 hp sized palette :)

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 pm

Personal opinion, but they look very much worth the money. Getting a powered case of that size is worth it. Outside of DIY, there is not any case that is readily available. The pods are close, but you can squeeze a lot more functionality with a 1u row on top of that and the pods seem to be in their own lane, much like the pallet. I am not well versed in the skills needed to make a case, but I would guess it would take quite a lot to be able to build something of similar dimensions and keep the same durability while still matching the price.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 pm

TheRosskonian wrote:

Personal opinion, but they look very much worth the money. Getting a powered case of that size is worth it. Outside of DIY, there is not any case that is readily available. The pods are close, but you can squeeze a lot more functionality with a 1u row on top of that and the pods seem to be in their own lane, much like the pallet. I am not well versed in the skills needed to make a case, but I would guess it would take quite a lot to be able to build something of similar dimensions and keep the same durability while still matching the price.
The pods are also incredibly shallow, and if you go with the deep ones, small. I thought the pods were a worst value for money. I thought the palettes were perfect, even good and worth it.

gajimicu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gajimicu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:13 pm

intellijel wrote: The cost to make a case is not the simple math of $/hp...
Thanks Dan for answering so thoroughly 8-)
I'm glad my post created the opportunity to get a good overview of the case and how it's made. Looks terrific.

My comment was not about the palette not being worth the money, I know Intellijel products, and they are super well made!
It's more about the idea of spending so much money in such few HP.
And I understand that because something is small doesn't mean its cheap, quite the contrary in terms of electronics.

I guess I wanted to get some reaction from people about that, and it looks like people are into it, and ready to spend that kind money in a case this small. Which is a little surprising to me, but great news for Intellijel. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, modular is not a cheap hobby after all!

I am of the kind that buys every module second hand and doesn't mind getting my hands dirty sometimes. I drooled over the full size metal case many times, and I think the palette is like the full size one, a nice dream :)

Anyway, GO INTELLIJEL :bananaguitar:

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:43 am

gajimicu wrote:
intellijel wrote: The cost to make a case is not the simple math of $/hp...
It's more about the idea of spending so much money in such few HP.
And I understand that because something is small doesn't mean its cheap, quite the contrary in terms of electronics.

I guess I wanted to get some reaction from people about that, and it looks like people are into it, and ready to spend that kind money in a case this small.
No offense, but I think you're missing the point that Dan is making - thays why you're not getting any reactions from the rest of the participants of this thread on its cost. You're still reducing it down to a $/hp calculation. Of course it's going to be expensive if you look at it like that, but you're not the target audience if you're looking for $/hp. You should instead be looking at it as a 4U case that already factors in power supply and 2 buffered mults into the cost, and power supply, 2 buffered mults, MIDI TRS+USB, and audio I/O free hp-wise. In return, you tradeoff for flexibility.

This case is incredibly appealing to me because an equivalent case would be ~80hp+, which makes it much harder to fit into a backpack for gigs. As someone who gigs fairly frequently with a Eurorack, the size savings is a huge benefit, and I factor the cost of those modules into the cost of the case. The fact that there's gonna be a cover for it is really appealing to me too - not many cases of this size get covers, which is something I've had to DIY for my skiffs to feel comfortable as a road warrior.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:35 am

Just pre-ordered from Perfect Circuit... now I just hope it shows up in time for my vacation :bananaguitar:

srogers
Common Wiggler

Post by srogers » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:49 pm

versipellis wrote:The fact that there's gonna be a cover for it is really appealing to me too - not many cases of this size get covers, which is something I've had to DIY for my skiffs to feel comfortable as a road warrior.
So there is for sure gonna be a lid/cover for these? I haven’t really been able to find any concrete info about that.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:12 pm

srogers wrote:
versipellis wrote:The fact that there's gonna be a cover for it is really appealing to me too - not many cases of this size get covers, which is something I've had to DIY for my skiffs to feel comfortable as a road warrior.
So there is for sure gonna be a lid/cover for these? I haven’t really been able to find any concrete info about that.
They mentioned it in one of their social media posts.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:45 pm

So good. I feel these are the perfect antidote to the 4MS Pod urge. The extra 1u is a nice bit of extra utility. X
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:40 pm

We added the "0.5U" row to Modular grid :)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellije ... black-0-5u

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellije ... ilver-0-5u

Works great with the new Minimal Rack theme.
a boy at intellijel

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:22 am

slowwild wrote:We added the "0.5U" row to Modular grid :)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellije ... black-0-5u

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellije ... ilver-0-5u

Works great with the new Minimal Rack theme.
Hah, that is AWESOME! Thank you!

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:51 am

Also, anyone know when these are shipping? I've pre-ordered and PCA says that they're not sure when they'll be shipped/arriving.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:27 am

They are shipping now :)
a boy at intellijel

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:39 am

slowwild wrote:They are shipping now :)
Yay! While we're on the topic, are there any plans for a smaller uMIDI 1U like with the stereo line out 1U? 22hp off of 62hp doesn't leave much room left.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:47 am

versipellis wrote:
slowwild wrote:They are shipping now :)
Yay! While we're on the topic, are there any plans for a smaller uMIDI 1U like with the stereo line out 1U? 22hp off of 62hp doesn't leave much room left.
We're working on a bunch of smaller 1U modules now, but would be hard to comments on everything in the pipe.
a boy at intellijel

Return to “Eurorack Modules”