Intellijel Palette 4.5U Cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 pm

slowwild wrote:
versipellis wrote:
slowwild wrote:They are shipping now :)
Yay! While we're on the topic, are there any plans for a smaller uMIDI 1U like with the stereo line out 1U? 22hp off of 62hp doesn't leave much room left.
We're working on a bunch of smaller 1U modules now, but would be hard to comments on everything in the pipe.
Awwh, okay. I'm really on the fence for getting the uMIDI 1U because it takes *so* much space, and don't want to get burned by having a smaller version release after I get it :|

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:17 pm

gajimicu wrote:They're not on the Intellijel website yet from what I could see.
Am I the only one who thinks its too much money for 64hp? even in 4u...
The mantis is just 50$ more!
I agree it's not the same style of case but still, price per hp on the palette is the most expensive I've ever seen...
And its not those mults, jacks and midi stuff that make it much better, they require tiles anyway.
The pod 60 is almost two times cheaper..!

Disclaimer: I love Intellijel, I have some of their modules and they are great!
I kind of thought the same, but I ended up doing some price comparisons and realized that not only is there nothing quite like this on the market, but it's actually quite competitively priced.

Closest would likely be the Pod60, but you'd need a power brick, a ribbon cable for more headers (probably) a buffered multiple (which would eat into your available HP) just to equal what's on offer for the Palette with nothing installed in the 1U row. That comes out to around $240-260 and you are left with at least 4hp less (assuming a 2HP mult).

Add to that the small touches that this has (a power on/off switch, 1U tiles for many utilities so as not to eat into available hp, excellent power specs, etc) I think this is actually pretty ideally priced. It comes in a bit high next to the 2x104 Intellijel cases, especially without a lid of some kind but if you want a small self conatained system this is kind of awesome.

I bought one purely for a small noise/distortion/filter box, I do hope they offer a case/lid/decksaver option though at some point.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:01 pm

nolongerhuman wrote:I bought one purely for a small noise/distortion/filter box, I do hope they offer a case/lid/decksaver option though at some point.
Decksaver style lids and Lunch Bags coming :)
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm

slowwild wrote:
nolongerhuman wrote:I bought one purely for a small noise/distortion/filter box, I do hope they offer a case/lid/decksaver option though at some point.
Decksaver style lids and Lunch Bags coming :)

Awesome news!

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 pm

It's alive!

Also discovered it fits perfectly in this little case I had sitting around for my Mackie 1402... with room for a guitar pedal, power cords, and patch cords as well... if only my headphones fit too, it'd be 100% perfect for travel (and it's close enough, as it is).

jessem
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jessem » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Our case are locally fabricated and hand assembled in Vancouver, Canada.
I didn't know this, but it's really nice to hear!

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:38 pm

Got my stealth palette today! :yay: This thing is a really great little case. It's juuust big enough to fit enough modules that I feel like it can stand alone. For those that are curious, 2hp modules fit, (at least verb and mix) but just barely. The PCBs touch the back of the case and the panels are just shy of being flush against the rails. I screwed them in gently with knurlies and they seem to be fine. The one downside is that you need either a bit of patience or tiny baby hands to plug modules in, it's cramped as hell up in the back.

Here's the setup I'm rolling with for the moment:

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:23 am

SavageMessiah wrote: The one downside is that you need either a bit of patience or tiny baby hands to plug modules in, it's cramped as hell up in the back.
What we recommend is to undo the top rail (single screw on either side) then plug in all your power cables into the headers and then re-install the rail. Only takes 1 minute and will save you a lot of fiddling around.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:33 pm

I immediately ordered a batch of 10 extra power cords, so that I don't have to ever unplug the cords from the case... will make swapping things in and out a lot easier.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:07 pm

intellijel wrote:
SavageMessiah wrote: The one downside is that you need either a bit of patience or tiny baby hands to plug modules in, it's cramped as hell up in the back.
What we recommend is to undo the top rail (single screw on either side) then plug in all your power cables into the headers and then re-install the rail. Only takes 1 minute and will save you a lot of fiddling around.
Nice, I'll have to remember that.
Shakespeare wrote:I immediately ordered a batch of 10 extra power cords, so that I don't have to ever unplug the cords from the case... will make swapping things in and out a lot easier.
That's a good idea too. Since the majority of modules that go into this are going to be ones temporarily transplanted from my larger cases that could save some fiddling there too.

Icz
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Icz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Might have to buy one of these to use as a little processing/effects box to pair with my 0-Coast when I'm on holiday.

Sionara
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sionara » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 am

Another amazing case from Intellijel!

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:35 pm

forgive me if this is a stupid question from a power standpoint, but could you power this using a barrel cable from a 4ms Podx that has its own power brick? assuming the barrel plugs are the same (2.1mm positive center). 4ms says their brick can power up to 10 pods so just wondering....

their power brick is stated as 15V/3A (45W).

imagining a Palette alongside a Pod48x that has my ER-301 in it.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:14 pm

PSA: If you take out the top rail to make it easier to get to the board, note that when you put it back in it's possible to put it in slightly wrong that will make it hard to fit modules in the 1U row. Put the screws in a bit with your fingers on both sides, let the rail sit on the screws, then screw them in. I put it in a little bit too high the first time and it made it so that the modules on the right basically had to be wedged between the lips to fit.

On a side note I rearranged stuff and it seems like I can't put quadratt in anywhere but where I coincidentally chose to put it the first time and actually put screws in the top holes. The row of screw holes on the top strip is really wobbly and there just aren't two holes 28 hp apart that actually line up right :bang:. This is one of those theoretical downsides to threaded strips that I've never actually run into before.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 am

GAS and Labor Day sales got the beat of me late last night, so I ordered a Palette, 1u Steppy, Erica Sample Drum (and a Triplatt, but for my main case).

This will be a self contained “drum machine’ system. 4-5 voices, modulation, sequencing, midi sync and notes if needed, mixing and effects. I’ll use it with my Digitone as a system I can use around the house, on trips, outside, etc. I’ll have to look into battery powered options for it since I have something similar for the Digitone.

I may swap the mixup back to my main case and look for a 12hp mixer with headphone output so that I cans get the new 1u stereo balances output module and utilize those 1/4 jacks.

Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:23 am

SavageMessiah wrote:PSA: If you take out the top rail to make it easier to get to the board, note that when you put it back in it's possible to put it in slightly wrong that will make it hard to fit modules in the 1U row. Put the screws in a bit with your fingers on both sides, let the rail sit on the screws, then screw them in. I put it in a little bit too high the first time and it made it so that the modules on the right basically had to be wedged between the lips to fit.
You can use a 1U module as a guide just drop on in loose before you tighten the side screws.
SavageMessiah wrote: On a side note I rearranged stuff and it seems like I can't put quadratt in anywhere but where I coincidentally chose to put it the first time and actually put screws in the top holes. The row of screw holes on the top strip is really wobbly and there just aren't two holes 28 hp apart that actually line up right :bang:. This is one of those theoretical downsides to threaded strips that I've never actually run into before.
The threaded strip inside the rail is mean to be loose, it tightens when you tightens up as you put in the screws. There is a hole every 1HP, so there should be no issue if you have 28HP of space, send pics to support@intellijel.com if you find otherwise, but that is something we've never seen.
a boy at intellijel

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm

slowwild wrote: The threaded strip inside the rail is mean to be loose, it tightens when you tightens up as you put in the screws. There is a hole every 1HP, so there should be no issue if you have 28HP of space, send pics to support@intellijel.com if you find otherwise, but that is something we've never seen.
Yeah, I know the strip is supposed to be loose. The problem is that the line of holes is so wiggly that a bunch of the screw holes don't line up with the mounting holes. I expect a bit of deviation, there's some on every strip I've seen (not many, admittedly), but not this much. I'll send over a few pictures later, it's nothing that can't be fixed with a new piece of strip, if nothing else.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Huh. I got it in. I had to start with the troublesome quadratt and put the screws in in a specific order so that the strips were pulled into an alignment it was happy with. After that everything went in fine. Operator error, I guess? I've just never had things be that fiddly before. I can still send pics if you think it would be useful.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:29 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:Huh. I got it in. I had to start with the troublesome quadratt and put the screws in in a specific order so that the strips were pulled into an alignment it was happy with. After that everything went in fine. Operator error, I guess? I've just never had things be that fiddly before. I can still send pics if you think it would be useful.
Glad you got it going! Send us a pic if you think there is something wrong, or something is out of alignment, if not, happy wiggling :).
a boy at intellijel

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Lids and cases have been put up on instagram

:goo: :goo: :goo:
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Any ideas about the feasibility of removing the 1u rails and somehow mounting a couple of modules sideways? It seems the height of 1u should be the same as 8hp wide. I'm thinking of shallow modules, so depth would not get in the way of cables. Anyone done something like that?

Gaetan
Common Wiggler

Post by Gaetan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:48 am

Those Palette cases are brilliant !

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:13 am

Jason Brock wrote:Any ideas about the feasibility of removing the 1u rails and somehow mounting a couple of modules sideways? It seems the height of 1u should be the same as 8hp wide. I'm thinking of shallow modules, so depth would not get in the way of cables. Anyone done something like that?
Haven't thought of removing rails or anything, but there is someone on Reverb who sells a bracket-like thing that you can mount in the 1U row to hold 4hp's worth of modules sideways. It's pretty cheap, too. Unfortunately, I'm not sure 4hp is really worth it, for that much 1u space... if you could squeeze 6hp into it, I'd probably pick one up.

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:20 pm

I was late to this party, but bought one of these cases as soon as I found out about it. I'd like to see how everyone else decides to fill their cases. I'm using mine like an mpc500. dead simple, portable sample player.

I have it currently set up strictly for mono. But I'm contemplating on whether to swap some of my panning and stereo effects modules from my larger rig into the palette. decisions decisions...

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Woohoo. Finally everything arrived for my palette. Still keeping 4hp clear for now. This is my self contained ‘drum machine’ system. I plan to use it as a mini setup along with my Digitone.

I think this will be really versatile with physical modeling (Plonk), analog modeling (Plaits), samples (Sample Drum), effects (Disting) and modulation (Pam’s). Plus midi sync, sequencing and headphone monitoring. Now I just need battery power for both.

Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

Return to “Eurorack Modules”