Intellijel Quadrax

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Quadrax

Post by closedLoop » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:13 pm

stylesforfree wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:27 pm
kisielk wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:09 pm
We've now released the beta as an official release, 1.2.0. The manual has also been updated:

https://forum.intellijel.com/t/quadrax- ... 1-2-0/3032
Do I leave the module connected to my case power while updating it over USB?

Cheers.
The instruction are in the Updater App, so follow those instruction to be sure.

The USB connection seems to be only providing data, not power for Quadrax, so it will need power from your case.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 am

hi, I had some bad experiences with digital envelopes. Compared to the maths and the contour1 the "snappiness" was dissapointing. But I only tried the MI stages and don't know if its because its digital or because I just didn't like it, though I had the same issue with computer generated envs coming from NI reaktor through the es-9 audio interface.

Can someone who has a maths or contour1 and the quadrax tell me how they compare? I like to test this with a sine -> VCA where the env is controlling the VCA. Best way is to sync the osc with the trigger going to the env. Would be lovely if someone could share their thoughts on this.

I also had problems using digitally generated CVs controlling a vca. There were these digital zipper noises. Is that an issue with the quadrax?

thanks in advance

half.cto
Common Wiggler

Post by half.cto » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:56 am

studio460 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:52 pm
I just bought a Quadrax yesterday, my first EG/function-generator and I love it! I think it's a great EG for beginners—very immediate. The Qx Expander adds end-of-rise and end-of-fall gate-outputs, but I can't visualize (audiolize?) the application. I mean, I gather that it sends a gate-signal at either EOR or EOF, but can someone explain in layman's terms typical use-cases? Is this more for percussion? Thanks!

Okay, I just watched an older Intellijel video using a Quadra and a larger expander (what is that called?). I see you would use it to trigger cascading envelopes for example. But you can also cascade envelopes within the four EGs in the Quadrax itself, right?
Besides other use cases you can look at Quadrax + Qx as gate generator with correlated envelope. It kind of flips the picture. You can set it up to generate random triggers in Low Frequency Vacillator or set it up to generate certain amount of triggers in burst mode and so on.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 am

MvK wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 am
hi, I had some bad experiences with digital envelopes. Compared to the maths and the contour1 the "snappiness" was dissapointing. But I only tried the MI stages and don't know if its because its digital or because I just didn't like it, though I had the same issue with computer generated envs coming from NI reaktor through the es-9 audio interface.

Can someone who has a maths or contour1 and the quadrax tell me how they compare? I like to test this with a sine -> VCA where the env is controlling the VCA. Best way is to sync the osc with the trigger going to the env. Would be lovely if someone could share their thoughts on this.

I also had problems using digitally generated CVs controlling a vca. There were these digital zipper noises. Is that an issue with the quadrax?

thanks in advance
The only issue I've had with Quadrax is that it won't open LPGs & certain VCAs enough to get their full character, even when Quadrax is set to 8v. I'm thinking specifically about the Xaoc Tallin and the Make Noise LxD & Optomix. VCAs with a wide adjustability like the Intellijel Quad aren't a problem.

I think what makes analog envelope generators sound snappy is not just how extreme the shape is, but also the range of those envelope generators. My Contour 1 and Delta-V are significantly louder than my Quadrax, and that extra bit of range really tops out LPGs especially.

As far as digital artifacts, I've never noticed any. Some of the first batch of Quadrax modules shipped with 12bit chips instead of 16bit, and I think some of those 12bit modules may have had some issues with artifacts. I think you'd only be concerned about getting one of those 12bit ones if you're buying off of the used market.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:58 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 am

The only issue I've had with Quadrax is that it won't open LPGs & certain VCAs enough to get their full character, even when Quadrax is set to 8v. I'm thinking specifically about the Xaoc Tallin and the Make Noise LxD & Optomix. VCAs with a wide adjustability like the Intellijel Quad aren't a problem.

I think what makes analog envelope generators sound snappy is not just how extreme the shape is, but also the range of those envelope generators. My Contour 1 and Delta-V are significantly louder than my Quadrax, and that extra bit of range really tops out LPGs especially.

As far as digital artifacts, I've never noticed any. Some of the first batch of Quadrax modules shipped with 12bit chips instead of 16bit, and I think some of those 12bit modules may have had some issues with artifacts. I think you'd only be concerned about getting one of those 12bit ones if you're buying off of the used market.
Thanks! yes, the level differences play a part of course, but most of my vcas open fully at 5v, so I have to trim them anyway. Still noticed a huge difference between maths and stages. Call me maths fanboy :-)

The featureset of the quadrax is very tempting so I ordered one from SchneidersLaden + expander. :party:

I love how Intellijel get their stuff together especially in the last 3 or so years. tete, tetrapad and scales are :tu:

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 pm

The Quadrax should be capable of outputting 10v envelopes, not 8v. Contour 1 also only outputs 10v. Are you sure you don't have Quadrax set to output +5v instead of +10v?

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 pm

minatorymodular wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 pm
The Quadrax should be capable of outputting 10v envelopes, not 8v. Contour 1 also only outputs 10v. Are you sure you don't have Quadrax set to output +5v instead of +10v?
Sorry, yes - I meant 10v, not 8v. Quadrax can either operate either at 5v or 10v.

Still with that, my analog env gens reach a bit beyond Quadrax on the scope, and I can hear some differences in the response of modules that aren't adjustable, like LPGs.

I'm not knocking Quadrax. It's the only digital env gen I've kept of ones that I've tried.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:21 pm

@closedLoop if you've got a scope I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the waveforms if you'd be willing. Just curious to see what the Contour1 looks.

@MvK with the new 1.2 firmware Quadrax can do attack times that are 1 sample long, which is ~0.05ms in our case, can't really get much faster than that! Thanks also for the kind words about the other modules, a lot of work went into those.
Intellijel R&D

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Hey Kis, I’m in Edm and poking around for the module and expander (seems like you guys are out of stock) but when I get one I’ll do some comparisons with my version two Maths, my gut kinda tells me that there should be settings that yield similar outputs 👍

flec8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flec8 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Can someone who has updated the firmware chime in -

The firmware .zip from Intellijel only contains usbtiny files for windowsxp7 and windows 8.
Am I good to install on Windows 10? If so which one did you use?

edit: nvm... :doh:

flec8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flec8 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Post 1.2 firmware and the Quadrax is finally as snappy as I wanted it to be.
Kudos to the Intellijel team for patching that.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:40 pm

Mine’s on order, early Christmas present to myself :party:
Can’t wait, I hope I get along with the multiple modes and menus :slapfight:

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:13 pm

I just got it and after 2 hours with the new firmware I'm having a lot of fun. Only using basic functions until now but you get a lot of very useful shapes very fast. Looking forward to dive deeper. Burst mode is fun! And the scaling of the knobs seems just right.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 am

I have a CV offset generator (Blinds) and Intellijel has CV ins to the level of channels. I should be able to use CV offset to attenuvert all the channels globally, right? Say I wanted to have all the channels outputting 0-1v.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:48 am

minatorymodular wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 am
I have a CV offset generator (Blinds) and Intellijel has CV ins to the level of channels. I should be able to use CV offset to attenuvert all the channels globally, right? Say I wanted to have all the channels outputting 0-1v.
Yup, just patch your offset into eg CV A, then route CV A to control the level of all four channels. Then all four channels will scale their amplitude to your offset value. You could even attenuate the CV in on some of the channels to give them a lower maximum amplitude.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:19 am

I've had a little trouble wrapping my head around level modulation since there's no manual section and I have no scope.

So the envelope/lfo outputs at 10v or +/-5v, and by putting in an -5v offset, I attenuate it to 0v?

For some reason I initially thought that assigning level turned the envelope output to 0v, and then I could offset it from there.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:30 am

Hmm I’m not 100% sure actually because I’ve never really used the level destination. With modulating time parameters with 0v you get no change, negative voltage shorten the time and positive voltages lengthen it (with the unipolar envelopes at least). Intuitively I would assume that 0v scales the level output to zero and negative voltage result in an inverted envelope output - I don’t know if it actually works like this, but it would seem odd to have the level scaled to nothing at -5v rather than 0v.
Perhaps with level scaling the input just ignores negative voltages? Hopefully someone from Intellijel support will chime in here
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:36 am

minatorymodular wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:19 am
I've had a little trouble wrapping my head around level modulation since there's no manual section and I have no scope.

So the envelope/lfo outputs at 10v or +/-5v, and by putting in an -5v offset, I attenuate it to 0v?

For some reason I initially thought that assigning level turned the envelope output to 0v, and then I could offset it from there.
are you using the latest firmware? I wonder if this changed.

i haven't updated to the more recent phase-aligned clock sync fix version, but I've always observed that assigning level sets the output to 0v until a positive offset is received on the assigned cv input.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:02 am

I just updated to the latest but I don't recall this being in the changelist. I just realized I have a rudimentary scope now (Hemispheres O_c), so I think I can figure this out pretty quick. I'll report back.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:33 am

minatorymodular wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:02 am
I just updated to the latest but I don't recall this being in the changelist. I just realized I have a rudimentary scope now (Hemispheres O_c), so I think I can figure this out pretty quick. I'll report back.
Wait... there's a variant of o_C that has a scope?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:45 pm

When you enable the amplitude modulation of a channel then 0V causes zero output, 5V is maximum. This is different from the other modulation destinations so that it's convenient to use amplitude modulation as a way to scale an LFO with another envelope in a VCA-like fashion. This has been there since the start and nothing changed in the new firmware.
Intellijel R&D

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:49 pm

My favorite is routing velocity from a sequencer into level to scale the envelope without needing another VCA.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:50 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:33 am
Wait... there's a variant of o_C that has a scope?
https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Scope

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:22 pm

kisielk wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:45 pm
When you enable the amplitude modulation of a channel then 0V causes zero output, 5V is maximum. This is different from the other modulation destinations so that it's convenient to use amplitude modulation as a way to scale an LFO with another envelope in a VCA-like fashion. This has been there since the start and nothing changed in the new firmware.
I had never played with the Level CV destination before just now. I'd used 'Rise', 'Fall', and 'Shape' as destinations, but I'm in the mental habit of putting LFOs and envelopes through VCAs to get amplitude variation.

I just tried patching a Unipolar LFO from one channel of Quadrax to another channel set to Bipolar LFO, with 'Level' as the CV destination. My Quadrax is set to 10v. Interestingly, the max amplitude of the Bipolar LFO goes way beyond the amplitude compare to the amplitude when there is no assigned CV. Is that because it expects 5v input, and Quadrax is set to 10v?

No CV:
noCV.jpg
CV to Level:
withCV.jpg

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:45 pm

I can't believe I haven't made more use of level modulation. I've been using external VCAs this whole time. This makes working with velocity fast, and it saves me a ton of attenuverters!

And since Quadrax clips at +-5v, I should have the attenuversion button at 50% or below when using 10v outputs. Does a negative level input invert the modulation or clip it at zero?

@closedloop that's weird, the manual says Quadrax's CV inputs should clip at over 5v in.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”