Intellijel Quadrax

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Quadrax

Post by closedLoop » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:41 pm

minatorymodular wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:45 pm

@closedloop that's weird, the manual says Quadrax's CV inputs should clip at over 5v in.
You're right, the manual does say that. It doesn't seem to be clipping at 5v at the moment, unless I'm misunderstanding something. It does makes sense to me that it would accept 10v when it's in 10v mode. Otherwise self patching would require outside attenuation, right?

I'm running the 1.2 firmware.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:28 pm

You can set the modulation to be 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% by pressing the destination button. It gets less bright until it gets to zero modulation.

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:55 am

With the last firmware, Quadrax now better than ever, well done Intellijel !!

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:15 pm

:party:
Mine arrived today from a dealer on the wet coast, oddly I’ve ended up with a twelve bit one? :despair:
But I followed the instructions, plugged in expander, updated to the latest firmware, reset to factory, and turned on dithering and verified I’m set to 10 volt range.
Being an idiot these days it’ll take me a while to get used to all of the little modes but the multicolour leds should help.
I plugged mine into an O’Tool to check some shapes and after trouble shooting a weird clipping at 7 volt issue (my fault, nothing to do with the Quadrax) I did some tests and took some pics.
My first thought is that I love that changing shape doesn’t affect ramp length :hail:
Second it’s important to note that when compared to Maths, Quadrax’s ‘alternate mode’ will generate similar shapes; in Standard mode, Quadrax generates what we’d expect Exp/Log envelopes to look like.
The other thing I noticed (I’m on the latest .2 firmware) is that Quadrax goes way tighter than Maths and some of my really tight Quadrax shapes don’t seem to get up to a full 10 volts but remember: I’m using an O’Tool which may not track such a tiny spike.
I tried to match Quadrax to some Maths shapes but also took some contrasting pics, without some clever patching it’s hard to get Maths to mimic some of the basic Quadrax shapes!
Here’s what the scope looked like with red being the Quadrax and green being Maths:
Attachments
1A35CE2D-01DF-4329-926A-CAD3740C8FB8.jpeg
C2BAFCFA-F61E-4875-B99A-0FE02F9B513B.jpeg
3FC53658-9944-4EE9-9446-6945308BF361.jpeg
8E211CDB-1E81-408D-9A62-C83A0F586F89.jpeg
F3F948A4-A6AD-49EF-89AB-EF476CB094E7.jpeg

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:45 pm

Wow, the 12bit ones are still out in the wild?
FS: JMT SRV-1 Spring Reverb: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:28 pm

:waah: I was surprised too but I’ve been running slow ramps into sine encrusted VCAs all afternoon and it sounds nice and smooth, no stepping or artifacts so far.
My biggest worry about this beast wasn’t the ‘Robot generated digital envelopes’ but the four CV ins and the weird CV routing matrix.
Although I’d still wish for more input CVs (and I’ll bug them for more attenuation levels) I’m impressed with the matrix design, way easier to use than I expected and very flexible, I’m an idiot so it hadn’t occurred to me that the CV matrix would not only let you mult CVs to different destinations, but also sum CVs into any (or all) destinations :love: such a convenient feature and perfect for my correlated patches.
I’m busy running ‘Burst Music’ patches as I type! :slapfight:
Kudos to the manual authors as well, if I can figure it out, anyone can! :party: :party:
So far looks like a keeper, and I’ve managed to locate the Easter egg in the Setup menu that enables ‘black Davies’ mode :cloud:
Attachments
312C15E0-EEF0-4189-9D62-54B1B7F392DD.jpeg

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 pm

How do you know if your unit is 12 or 16 bit?

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:13 pm

Open it up and count the bits.

newrun
Common Wiggler

Post by newrun » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:17 pm

axm311 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 pm
From an earlier post:
ima_jrk wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:00 am
If on the smaller PCB behind the panel PCB has a small chip labeled 2624, it’s 12 bit. If it’s 2604 it’s 16bit.

Again for people catching up, Intellijel issued me an RMA to have the hardwares fixed but I am in the US and shipping back to my retailer and waiting for a new unit from the next batch was the cheaper and less hassle option for me. Still waiting on a replacement.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:17 pm

axm311 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 pm
It's in the manual:

"NOTE: There are no sonic differences between a 12-bit module with dithering enabled, and a 16-bit module with dithering disabled. To see which version you own, look for the DAC on the back of the Quadrax module. Those labelled 2624 are 12-bit (and require dithering be turned ON). Those labelled 2604 are 16-bit (and require dithering be turned OFF)."

Those markings are on the smaller PCB. I got Quadrax on release, and Intellijel sent me a replacement just for the smaller board. It's an easy swap out.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Ooh maybe I’ll do a swap out at some point🤓

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 am

how do i put the quadrax into "boot loader" mode so i can flash the firmware to the latest version? the firmware package says to check the manual on how to achieve this, but i don't see it mentioned anywhere in the newest manual... only how to view what version firmware you are on. am i just missing something obvious?
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:32 am

VanEck wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 am
how do i put the quadrax into "boot loader" mode so i can flash the firmware to the latest version? the firmware package says to check the manual on how to achieve this, but i don't see it mentioned anywhere in the newest manual... only how to view what version firmware you are on. am i just missing something obvious?
If you download the firmware updater program there are detailed instructions in there. I believe it's the two top buttons being pressed while you boot your system but check there first before trying, I'm not 100% sure.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 am

tvparcable wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:32 am

If you download the firmware updater program there are detailed instructions in there. I believe it's the two top buttons being pressed while you boot your system but check there first before trying, I'm not 100% sure.
That's exactly it - hold the "CV A" and "Rise" buttons while powering up the case, with the USB cable connected.

But, yes - the instructions are very clearly laid out in the updater app.

neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Is it just me or does Quadrax Logarithmic envelope curve (the curve pot all the way CCW) acts EXACTLY like Maths Exponential curve?

I could not for the life of me replicate Maths exponential envelope response with Quadrax,but then I turned the Quadrax curve pot away from Exponential all the way to logarithmic, then the behavior was exactly the same on both Quadrax and Maths. I'm a bit stumped, anyone else can report similar behavior? As to what I was doing, simple opening up of a VCA.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:32 pm

neopl wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 pm
Is it just me or does Quadrax Logarithmic envelope curve (the curve pot all the way CCW) acts EXACTLY like Maths Exponential curve?
Hmm, good question. I often see "exponential" used as a catchall to describe capacitor charging/discharging behavior, but really it depends on whether the charge is rising or falling. I am no EE, but I believe that for simple resistor-capacitor circuits, the charging (rise) is logarithmic and the discharging (fall) is exponential.

Judging from the panel graphics, this looks like what the Quadrax should produce with the curve response control fully anti-clockwise. And I guess the Maths panel graphics indicate how the fall is affected.

This passage from the Quadrax manual has me confused:
Rotating the knob clockwise from center results in an increasingly exponential shape. This is the curve found on many classic envelope generators, and is traditionally used to control linear VCAs.
In my experience, the opposite is true. All of the analog ADSRs I use behave more like simple RC circuits, and exhibit logarithmic attack and exponential decay. What are these "classic envelope generators" that behave differently?

I think it just underscores the somewhat counter-intuitive terminology.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:42 pm

neopl wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 pm
I'm confused too.....all this time I thought CCW was exponential decay. Are they gaslighting us? Is this some kind of new math?
page 16 wrote: In STANDARD operation, the RISE and FALL
curves are logarithmic when the SHAPE [3]
knob is counter-clockwise from center, and
exponential when it’s clockwise from center.

In ALTERNATE operation, the RISE curve is
logarithmic and the FALL curve is exponential
whenever the SHAPE [3] knob is counter-clockwise from center. When it’s clockwise from center,
the curves are reversed, such that RISE is exponential and FALL is logarithmic.

trashjohnson
Common Wiggler

Post by trashjohnson » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi All,

I made this Quadrax cheat sheet and thought I'd share. It's just ctrl c+ ctrl v of the manual n acrobat but maybe I'll save you 30 minutes and a Pro license cost.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Great work. I'm in the process of making a bunch of cheat sheets/references for my system, and this will save me some time. Thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

trashjohnson
Common Wiggler

Post by trashjohnson » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:31 pm

exper wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:45 pm
Great work. I'm in the process of making a bunch of cheat sheets/references for my system, and this will save me some time. Thanks!
You're welcome!

What other cheat sheets are you making?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:38 pm

trashjohnson wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:31 pm
exper wrote:
You're welcome!

Tetrapad/Tete, Planar2, Scales, Pamela's New Workout, Rample, Five12 Vector, and reusing some cheatsheets that others have made for various mutable modules.

I plan to print and maybe laminate into a folder to keep with my system.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

trashjohnson
Common Wiggler

Post by trashjohnson » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:54 pm

exper wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:38 pm
trashjohnson wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:31 pm
exper wrote:
You're welcome!

Tetrapad/Tete, Planar2, Scales, Pamela's New Workout, Rample, Five12 Vector, and reusing some cheatsheets that others have made for various mutable modules.

I plan to print and maybe laminate into a folder to keep with my system.
Cool! Please share!

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:01 pm

Indeed, that's great, thanks for sharing. I'm definitely interested in some of your others as well, especially Tetrapad/Tete.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:29 pm

trashjohnson wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:37 pm
Hi All,

I made this Quadrax cheat sheet and thought I'd share. It's just ctrl c+ ctrl v of the manual n acrobat but maybe I'll save you 30 minutes and a Pro license cost.

Very nice of you to offer that to everyone! Nice work! Thank you!

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackBearDiner » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:47 am

Very nice and handy, gonna print it out and laminate. Maybe go pro and cut them up to make smaller laminated
”gamecards” for each section. Thanks!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”