Intellijel Quadrax

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

half.cto
Common Wiggler

Re: Intellijel Quadrax

Post by half.cto » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:23 pm

trashjohnson wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:37 pm
Hi All,

I made this Quadrax cheat sheet and thought I'd share. It's just ctrl c+ ctrl v of the manual n acrobat but maybe I'll save you 30 minutes and a Pro license cost.

Thank You!

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:42 pm

Ooh, I was hoping someone would do a cheat sheet! Awesome job.
Ya, in terms of matching Maths’ shapes I found Quadrax’s alternative mode was the one that matched up in terms of rise shape vs fall shape. 👍

trashjohnson
Common Wiggler

Post by trashjohnson » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Dcramer wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:42 pm
Ooh, I was hoping someone would do a cheat sheet! Awesome job.
Ya, in terms of matching Maths’ shapes I found Quadrax’s alternative mode was the one that matched up in terms of rise shape vs fall shape. 👍
I believe the newest firmware update addressed that "sharpness" of Maths analog response vs Quadrax's digital emulation. Looking back in the thread, that seemed to be a big complaint; good to know they addressed our feedback. Thanks Intellijel, keep up the good work!

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:50 pm

I think that was in reference to us trying to figure out dialing in log giving exp decay a page or two back.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:34 pm

i can't for the life of me get this LFO phase reset thing to work

i'm on the latest firmware 1.20

with channel 1 set to LFO, I put a clock into its trigger input - no worries, clocked LFO

then i press channel 2's link button so that it's red, and also set it to LFO. so now we have 2x clocked LFOs, no worries

but if i put a trigger into channel 2's unused trigger input; nothing happens. no reset occurs no matter what rate the LFOs are set to or anything

am i doing something stupid?

edit - it only seems to work 'downstream' - so if i want LFO 3 to reset, i'd have to put the trigger input into channel 2 ... but i thought any unused trigger input would reset the whole "chain" ?

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:43 am

Something is bugging me in synced LFO mode. I don't know if it's intended behavior or not — if it is, I question the reasoning behind it. When I feed an LFO a trigger from a clock module, and press start, it will lock to the rhythm, but if I twist the rate knob one direction or the other and come back (come back to 16th notes, say), the 16ths will then be out of sync with the clock — in time, but slightly out of sync. I hope it's just me doing something wrong, but this seems odd and not what you'd want if you're making music with clock divisions.

EDIT: Did more playing with Quadrax and, even with standard envelopes, something feels off. Seems related to the above. If I give it a regular pulse from Pam's NW, and have it shaping a low bass tone with quick envelopes, I get a noticeable cycling effect — some pulses almost clicking at the attack, and then rotating around to softer attacks and then back to clicky attacks. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. What is going on here?

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 am

I have a problem: I'd like channel 1 and 2 to be identical without using a mult (want to send the same gate sequence to vca and filter).
I'm sending a gate sequence with different gate lengths to trig 1 and I'm linking trig 2 to it.
(buttons from left to right: channel 1: grey, red
channel 2: red, red)
The problem is channel two doesn't mimic exactly what channel one is doing, it seems to be behaving differently and not copying the gates as they should be, causing me to opt for a mult instead of the channel link feature. Am I missing something? I'm on the latest 1.2 firmware.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 am

viroxx wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 am
I have a problem: I'd like channel 1 and 2 to be identical without using a mult (want to send the same gate sequence to vca and filter).
I'm sending a gate sequence with different gate lengths to trig 1 and I'm linking trig 2 to it.
The problem is channel two doesn't mimic exactly what channel one is doing, it seems to be behaving differently and not copying the gates as they should be, causing me to opt for a mult instead of the channel link feature. Am I missing something? I'm on the latest 1.2 firmware.
What's different about the response?

Is it not triggering with every new trigger, or is it not holding for the length of each gate?

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:23 am

viroxx wrote:
Are the knobs in the same position in both channels?... Anyways, that's something you'd normally use a mult or stackable for, since copying knob settings is unnecessarily fiddly. The channel link feature is something I'd use to get two different envelopes/bursts/LFO syncs/etc from one trigger.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 am
viroxx wrote:
What's different about the response?

Is it not triggering with every new trigger, or is it not holding for the length of each gate?
It's triggering but not holding

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Arneb wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:23 am
viroxx wrote:
Are the knobs in the same position in both channels?... Anyways, that's something you'd normally use a mult or stackable for, since copying knob settings is unnecessarily fiddly. The channel link feature is something I'd use to get two different envelopes/bursts/LFO syncs/etc from one trigger.
Yes knobs are in the same position

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:26 pm

viroxx wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm

To me, that actually makes sense. It's not passing the gate from the input on channel 1, it's passing the trigger from channel 1 as specified by the channel linking, not the original signal that also includes the held gate. In this scenario, the result from AR and ASR should be identical. If you want both channels to respond to the same gate signal, multing the signal makes more sense.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:36 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:26 pm
viroxx wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm

To me, that actually makes sense. It's not passing the gate from the input on channel 1, it's passing the trigger from channel 1 as specified by the channel linking, not the original signal that also includes the held gate. In this scenario, the result from AR and ASR should be identical. If you want both channels to respond to the same gate signal, multing the signal makes more sense.
Oh I understand. Wish it was possible to pass the gate though.. Would save me the mult and the extra cables

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:39 pm

Gate multing is kinda cheap in the age of stackcables, so there's little incentive for module makers to implement gate multing features. I mean, if Intellijel did it the way you proposed and someone needed an ASR synchronized with something else (AD, LFO) they'd need a gate-to-trigger converter, which is more expensive than a stackcable.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:49 am

Del wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:43 am
Something is bugging me in synced LFO mode. I don't know if it's intended behavior or not — if it is, I question the reasoning behind it. When I feed an LFO a trigger from a clock module, and press start, it will lock to the rhythm, but if I twist the rate knob one direction or the other and come back (come back to 16th notes, say), the 16ths will then be out of sync with the clock — in time, but slightly out of sync. I hope it's just me doing something wrong, but this seems odd and not what you'd want if you're making music with clock divisions.

EDIT: Did more playing with Quadrax and, even with standard envelopes, something feels off. Seems related to the above. If I give it a regular pulse from Pam's NW, and have it shaping a low bass tone with quick envelopes, I get a noticeable cycling effect — some pulses almost clicking at the attack, and then rotating around to softer attacks and then back to clicky attacks. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. What is going on here?
Are you running the latest firmware?
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm

My original Quadrax turned out to be one of the last of the 12 bit ones that slipped out in an initial run (with an incorrect part installed)
Both Intellijel and the dealer I bought it from, Nightlife-electronics in Vancouver, were very quick to get me sorted and were able to swap a 16 bit for me.
:love: Kudos for the great service!

I’ll see if I can duplicate some of the weird behaviours some have mentioned?

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:12 pm

There is something I am not clear if it can be done within the module itself and could use some help.

If I chain for example two regular AD envelopes using EOR or EOF, can you get the output of the 4 stage function out of quadrax through self patching or other configuration?

If not, what would be the best way to do this? Run both outputs into a CV mixer and take the mix out, but only trigger the first function?

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Yeah, I think you’d need to sum the two outs to get the effect of the two shapes 🤔

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:39 pm

Thanks! That’s what I thought and was just misunderstanding a section in the manual.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:06 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:49 am
Del wrote:

Are you running the latest firmware?
I fiddled around with my Quadrax (latest version) and I can’t seem to duplicate what you’re describing?
Gots a vid of it? :hmm:

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:36 pm

Del wrote:

If you think about what happens when you are changing the time divisions it makes sense that it would be out of phase relative to the clock (but still in time). The only way around this if every time you change the time division it also immediately resets but this could be quite jarring when sweeping the control. In the latest firmware we offer a solution that you can create a pair (or more) of channels and use the trigger input on the first one for your clock source and the trigger input on the second one to reset the phase of all envelopes in the chain.

As to your second comment. Low bass tones, especially ones with low harmonic content must be phase synced to the same gate your are using to trigger your envelope. That way the waveform cycle and envelope shape always start at the exact same point relative to each other and you get a repeatable sound. If your envelope had a slower attack or if your waveform had more harmonic content then the effect of being out of sync would be less noticeable.

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:54 pm

intellijel wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:36 pm

If you think about what happens when you are changing the time divisions it makes sense that it would be out of phase relative to the clock (but still in time). The only way around this if every time you change the time division it also immediately resets but this could be quite jarring when sweeping the control. In the latest firmware we offer a solution that you can create a pair (or more) of channels and use the trigger input on the first one for your clock source and the trigger input on the second one to reset the phase of all envelopes in the chain.
I saw a post in the Intellijel forum most recent Quadrax thread that there is a bug with this feature and isn't working as it should (the reset trigger doesn't reset the phase for all channels in the chain). Has there been another firmware released since then that fixes this issue?

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:21 am

Any reason why channel 2 doesn’t output any voltage? Maybe I pressed something I shouldn’t have pressed. Expander is showing the expected behaviour, but not output. :-(

Saladolar
Common Wiggler

Post by Saladolar » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:45 am

Have you tried to clear CV assignments ?

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:44 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:45 am
Have you tried to clear CV assignments ?
This. I had the same thing happen and it was because I had changed a setting. Resetting the module fixed it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”