Intellijel Quadrax

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Quadrax

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:16 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:45 am
Have you tried to clear CV assignments ?
That was it. Thank you. It’s my first day using Quadrax.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:11 am

Another question: the manual reads “ When the LINK button is red, channel triggering is normalled to the previous envelope’s TRIG input”. That works, but I noticed that with the chained channels in mode red (AHR), only the first channel has a hold phase with longer gates. The chained channels won’t hold. Is that normal?

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:32 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:11 am
Another question: the manual reads “ When the LINK button is red, channel triggering is normalled to the previous envelope’s TRIG input”. That works, but I noticed that with the chained channels in mode red (AHR), only the first channel has a hold phase with longer gates. The chained channels won’t hold. Is that normal?
95% sure this was answered as yes it is normal before as only the trigger event is linked, not the whole gate.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:47 am

ima_jrk wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:32 am
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:11 am
95% sure this was answered as yes it is normal before as only the trigger event is linked, not the whole gate.
Thanks. I guess you would use multiples or stackables to get the whole gate on all channels. Now I am relieved. :-)

Maybe this “whole gate on all linked channels” could be added in a future update.

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:48 am

Has anyone else noticed that the EG's attack tends to produce an audible click when it's extremely short? I often use very sharp attacks with exponential curves on VCAs or filters, and while the click can be aesthetically suitable with certain musical environments, sometimes you just want a good old warm analog-style sharp attack. In comparison, my 0-coasts can go as sharp as Quadrax, but never clicks. I was wondering if there's any possibility to have it fixed or if it's just inherent to digital envelopes due to aliasing?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:58 am

At it's shortest length the Quadrax attack is literally 0 samples long, so pretty much instant rise. That kind of transient is just going to have a bit of an audible click. The envelopes used to be slightly longer at minimum and didn't click, but people specifically requested them to be faster / able to click so we added that.
Intellijel R&D

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:13 pm

tvparcable wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:48 am
Has anyone else noticed that the EG's attack tends to produce an audible click when it's extremely short? I often use very sharp attacks with exponential curves on VCAs or filters, and while the click can be aesthetically suitable with certain musical environments, sometimes you just want a good old warm analog-style sharp attack. In comparison, my 0-coasts can go as sharp as Quadrax, but never clicks. I was wondering if there's any possibility to have it fixed or if it's just inherent to digital envelopes due to aliasing?
An envelope has theoretically no sound on its own. Take a look at the VCA.
Also this is helpful:

And btw, lots of analog envelopes on classic synths do click like hell whith minimal attack. It’s not a side effect of digital envelopes.

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 pm

kisielk wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:58 am
At it's shortest length the Quadrax attack is literally 0 samples long, so pretty much instant rise. That kind of transient is just going to have a bit of an audible click. The envelopes used to be slightly longer at minimum and didn't click, but people specifically requested them to be faster / able to click so we added that.
That makes sense, thanks for the quick answer - my feeling was that it's a little difficult to find the sweet spot between "there is a click" and "there is no click but there's kind of an audible tiny fade-in". I just did some further testing comparing the 0-Coast's exponential curve EG (w/ the attack set as CCW as possible) and the Quadrax's, both controlling the same Quad VCA's channel and you can achieve similarly sharp/near-zero attacks without a click, it's just a matter of fine-tuning your attack a little longer on the Quadrax. On certain spots you would get clicks but not on all attacks: does it just depend on the relationship between the waveform's amplitude and the moment the sharp rise hits?
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:13 pm

And btw, lots of analog envelopes on classic synths do click like hell whith minimal attack. It’s not a side effect of digital envelopes.
Edit: Thanks for the link btw, the video clarifies a lot of things about pops, very interesting stuff.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:17 pm

tvparcable wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 pm
On certain spots you would get clicks but not on all attacks: does it just depend on the relationship between the waveform's amplitude and the moment the sharp rise hits?
It does, for consistent sounds you would want to use the same trigger/gate and have that go into the sync input on the oscillator, in effect resetting the wave shape every time.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:49 am

Has anyone made a cheat sheet for this by any chance? I still struggle to remember what all the colors and button combos are.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:10 am

Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:49 am
Has anyone made a cheat sheet for this by any chance? I still struggle to remember what all the colors and button combos are.
Here you go:

EDIT: Weird. Links to specific posts aren't working.

Anyway, there's a cheat sheet on page 22 of this thread.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:46 am

exper wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:10 am
Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:49 am
Here you go:

EDIT: Weird. Links to specific posts aren't working.

Anyway, there's a cheat sheet on page 22 of this thread.
Ah, awesome! Thanks a lot. :)

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:04 am

Apologies if this was already discussed, I just can't seem to find this information for some reason: how do you get chained CV to come out of a single output? I have been playing around with chains by using the OR of Cold Mac or a mixer, but is there a way to have everything come out of a single input of the Quadrax, sort of like the way Stages would do it? Example: Trig on CVA, which rises -> CVB outputs a burst triggered by CVA's end of rise -> CVC outputs a fall triggered by CVB's end of fall -> everything comes out of a single output. Is it possible with Quadrax alone?

Karl_Joseph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Karl_Joseph » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:13 am

tvparcable wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:04 am
Apologies if this was already discussed, I just can't seem to find this information for some reason: how do you get chained CV to come out of a single output? I have been playing around with chains by using the OR of Cold Mac or a mixer, but is there a way to have everything come out of a single input of the Quadrax, sort of like the way Stages would do it? Example: Trig on CVA, which rises -> CVB outputs a burst triggered by CVA's end of rise -> CVC outputs a fall triggered by CVB's end of fall -> everything comes out of a single output. Is it possible with Quadrax alone?
It doesn’t have a mix output so it won’t output a multistage envelope w/ burst stages. THAT WOULD BE SICK.

The mix output will likely be on the yet to be announced Quadrax mkIIs expander, 1u only.
:sarcasm:
- KARL

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:38 am

Ha. That’s already out. It’s called the Quadratt. ;)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:06 am

To combine envelopes you don't want to mix them - their voltages would be added - if two overlapped you would go well above 10V and clip everything downstream. What you want is a logic OR - which you can get from Intellijel Plog or the OR module, or in Mutable Kinks, and various other logic modules.
There has been a lot of talk/requests on the Intellijel forum for a 1U OR module... I'd buy that in a minute.
Frap tools Falistri has the Max output, which is exactly this - it overlays one envelope on top of the other when you look at the outputs on Mordax - the "highest output envelope is the one that gets the output". To do that with the 4 outputs of Quadrax would be sick!
However - just mixing two envelopes with Quadratt (or any other DC-coupled mixer) would allow you to approximate an ADSR. The envelope with only Trig is the AD, the other envelope needs to have an attack that will combine well with the AD stage, and sustain enabled (red), and it handles the final Release. The level on the mix of Envelope 1 becomes the sustain level.

Regarding the Rise mode "Red" only passing the Trig of the previous envelope - woithout this you cannot build an ADSR. I really would like to have the option of passing one channels gate the the next without using a stackable/mult for creating parallel envelopes - but we can't lose the functionality of the current mode of operation.

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 am

studioutopia wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:06 am
What you want is a logic OR
I was thinking about this using switches and EOF triggers from the expander as opposed to logic. Set up all envelopes to taste as individual stages, route the output of each to a sequential switch, set the envelopes to trigger each other at EOF, mix the EOF triggers from the expander and use them to cycle through the sequential switch.
WTB - Piston Honda MK3, Bionic Lester MK3

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am

Analog OR (also called MAX) would be preferable to Boolean logic OR, since that rectifies the voltage. Especially if combining bipolar modulation like LFOs. I use an Intellijel uMod2 for this, but there’s other options out there. XAOC Samara, Doepfer Min/Max, etc.

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:22 am

Interesting, thanks for the replies. For some reason, I always assumed it was possible since even the manual mentions things like AHR envelopes. On MI's Stages, even though each "stage" has its own output, it's possible for the first output of a chain of events to spit out the CV of the others, I wonder if it's something that could be added through a fw update on Quadrax?
studioutopia wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:06 am
To combine envelopes you don't want to mix them - their voltages would be added
I guess as long as the signals are not simultaneous it's not a problem - I tried with Cold Mac as a mixer and it works - albeit messing with the gain due to Cold Mac's quirks.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:48 pm

exper wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am
Analog OR (also called MAX) would be preferable to Boolean logic OR, since that rectifies the voltage. Especially if combining bipolar modulation like LFOs. I use an Intellijel uMod2 for this, but there’s other options out there. XAOC Samara, Doepfer Min/Max, etc.
This whole line of thinking blew my mind and I now have a Morph 4 headed my way. I have several quad modulation sources, so thanks for this eye opening series of comments!

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:27 pm

I have some difficulties with the knob ranges in AD mode. When the curve character pot is set to near minimum or near maximum there is a lot of "dead space" in the decay knobs lower range. Might it have something to do with the adjustment of the last FW update? Maybe the scaling of the knobs has to be readjusted? Or is it only my unit?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:43 pm

MvK: it's not just you, based on feedback we're tweaking the knob ranges again.. should be an update coming this week
Intellijel R&D

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:54 pm

kisielk wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:43 pm
MvK: it's not just you, based on feedback we're tweaking the knob ranges again.. should be an update coming this week
awesome! thx!

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:22 pm

Keep an eye out on the firmware updates section of our forum, it will be posted there first to give an opportunity for feedback
Intellijel R&D

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:11 pm

Good to hear about a new update Kiseilk :yay:
I’m also wondering if there’s anyway to increase the number of ‘preset attenuverted’ levels in the CV matrix? :sb:

Like five or six (or more) different levels to step thru (instead of just four) when routing CV’s, it’d make a huge difference to my way of working with it :cloud:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”