What is your favorite small clock divider/multiplier?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

What is your favorite small clock divider/multiplier?

Post by pugix » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:08 am

I'm wondering which small clock divider/multiplier modules people like to use. What features do you look for?

I had a 4ms Quad Clock Distributor (QCD) for a long time. My favorite feature is the detented knobs with a fixed position for each division/multiplication, so you see immediately what it is. Having CV over the divs/mults is a nice feature, too. It's 10hp.

Then I felt that I wanted less HP for clock division. Got a Bastl Instruments Little Nerd. Two inputs and five outputs, with each output having seven selectable functions. Very versatile in 6hp. But I quickly tired of the user interface. It is hard to remember what mode an output is in, and you can't easily tell what the current div/mult settings are. And no CV.

I sold the Little Nerd and now I've got an Animodule Syncopated Timing Disruptor (STD) coming. Still only 6hp, two channels in and out, separate tap tempo buttons, CV over div/mult, plus some built in logic gates.

What do you use, 12hp and under? What features do you like best?

Thanks,
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:37 am

My favourite one is Micro Temps Utile / 8 HP

Lots of stuff to like about this one, it's small, offers 6 channels and is really flexible!
Besides dividers/multipliers you also have a linear shiftback register, randomizer, euclidian sequencer, logic operations and a basic gate sequencer.
Channel 4 (DAC output) offers some extra's over the other channels like a turing machine and random outputs.
What i like best is probably the 4 CV inputs and 2 gate inputs, you can modulate pretty much anything, great module!

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 am

mother misty wrote:My favourite one is Micro Temps Utile / 8 HP

Lots of stuff to like about this one, it's small, offers 6 channels and is really flexible!
Besides dividers/multipliers you also have a linear shiftback register, randomizer, euclidian sequencer, logic operations and a basic gate sequencer.
Channel 4 (DAC output) offers some extra's over the other channels like a turing machine and random outputs.
What i like best is probably the 4 CV inputs and 2 gate inputs, you can modulate pretty much anything, great module!
How do you like the Micro Temps Utile screen? I'm wary of digital interfaces. Do you have a link for a user manual? I couldn't find one.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am

2hp div:

2hp, 1 in 2 outs - both separately cable div and multiply down to quite large number and it really just does what it says on the tin...

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:46 am

PhineasFreak wrote:2hp div:

2hp, 1 in 2 outs - both separately cable div and multiply down to quite large number and it really just does what it says on the tin...
I'll second this. It's almost like having 1/2 of a QCD - if you don't miss the reset inputs and separate clock inputs per channel. Sometimes the knobs on 2hp modules can be a bummer, but I don't have trouble dialing in settings with this particular module.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:00 pm

I like Noise Engineering modules a lot.. so I am a big fan of their clock dividers. They output gates rather than triggers, and the gate length can vary depending on the inputs you send.

The Integra Solum is 8HP and has 2 channels of divisions that you can rotate/reset/clock independently. It's totally awesome and self-patches like crazy! 16 outputs gives you a lot of gates to play with.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-eng ... egra-solum

At 4HP I also have their clock/clock divider. It's OK, but doesn't really do a lot of different divisions. I still like it as my primary clock, as I find the 4 outputs and switch to be just enough most of the time. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-eng ... ogic-solum

They also have a newer 4HP clock module in development that looks super cool and useful:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-eng ... ctio-solum
It looks like it is going to have CV over a bunch of wacky division ratios.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 pm

How small is the limit?

Tempi is my answer.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:40 pm

pugix wrote:
mother misty wrote:My favourite one is Micro Temps Utile / 8 HP

How do you like the Micro Temps Utile screen? I'm wary of digital interfaces. Do you have a link for a user manual? I couldn't find one.
I'm wary with digital interfaces as well, but i don't really mind it that much in a module like this, you mostly program and leave it.
The interface/manual scared me at first but it's actually easier than it looks, the menu diving is shallow and easy to understand.
The screen is small but it works for me. If you don't touch it for a few seconds it switches to screensaver mode which displays your gate/triggers outputs with blinking squares.
You can find the manual here,
https://github.com/mxmxmx/temps_utile-/ ... emps_utile

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:02 pm

I love my Rotating Clock Divider. It doesn’t always have to rotate!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Circuit Abbey G8. Simple 4hp clock divider+. Easy to use selection of different clock divisions with some interesting divisions (prime, random, binary counter, cv). In cv mode, acts like a window comparator with different windows. Outputs gates or triggers with a button press.

I also have a Tempi which replaced a QCD I used to have.

I find having multiple outputs on a clock divider more fun for my purposes.
FS (US): Erica Synths Pico LPG
FT (US): Boog Model D for B Wasp

Futuresound

!

Post by Futuresound » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Deeper A-160-2 is fantastic for basic divider tasks, with some nice features.

I'll probably get an Integra Solum at some point, it seems to offer a lot of utility in a small package.

Also, I often use sequencers or PEG as clock dividers. Trigger Man is a favorite for this - I rarely use all 8 outputs for sequencing, so I have some 'free' clock dividers that take up 0 extra HP!

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:51 pm

I'd recommend taking a look at the Ladik clock modules. Usually about 4hp each, so you could probably find a combo with a few interesting quirks.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

bougie
Common Wiggler

Post by bougie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:53 pm

+1 for circuit abbey g8, really versatile, can also be used as an 8 step cv-sequencer with an expander module.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:02 pm

QCD w/ expander with EXTRA MULTS & G8. Have to have the extra mults!!!!

Heliophile
Common Wiggler

Post by Heliophile » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:08 pm

I like to do clock division and multiplication in separate modules, because dedicated clock dividers also accept irregular clocks, like swinging clocks or gate patterns from other modules, yielding very interesting and musical results. Clock multipliers need a steady clock or they will get confused.

The Doepfer A-160-1 and A-161 combo plus A-160-2 and A-160-5 give me a lot of options. Noise Engineering Integra Solum would also be a great option for clock division and sequencing, but I don't own it.
Heliophile - synthpop
http://heliophile.bandcamp.com/

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:36 pm

I use a QCD. I had a Doepfer A-160 for a while, then replaced it when I DIY'd a RCD. But in truth I rarely used the A-160 and rarely use the RCD. Most of my clock dividing (and clocking in general) is with the QCD, and I can imagine ever replacing it.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:38 pm

DSC wrote:QCD w/ expander with EXTRA MULTS & G8. Have to have the extra mults!!!!
Oh those extra mults are a great idea! I really should put a mult right next to my QCD... I always end up multing the signals anyway.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:20 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:2hp div:

this! + the doepfer a-160-2

together 6hp and you have 3 dividers one of them has reset the others are CVable + multiply. together very capable.

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:05 am

Erica Synths - Pico Logic 3hp 4 in 2 out.

[video][/video]

sko87pro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sko87pro » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:14 am

I’m pretty new to the clocking thing, here is what I put together in my two-row system:

Ladik C-410 Clock source with divider
Ladik B-011 Flip flop
Doepfer A-160-2 Divider
Doepfer A-150 & A-151 Switches
Doepfer A-166 Logic

I’m thinking about adding these (when I go beyond 6U):

Ladik U-070 Gate tap clock with divide/multiply
Ladik S-187 Gate delay/modifier
Ladik S-090 Gate skipper

I’m happy with the Doepfer A-160-2 clock divider so far. I chose it over the Castle G8 because the Doepfer was cheaper and simpler (but still flexible).

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 am

I still think the RCD is the best clock divider out there. The sheer options on that module is mindboggling. I doubt most people have spent enough time with it. I've owned one since it first came out and I still find new stuff with some of its options. The ability to CV control all the outputs with just one CV input is amazing and it's a favourite to have this next to an eight step sequencer.

I absolutely love this module and I think it's the most playable divider out there.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:41 am

I'm a big fan of many of the dividers already mentioned. Each one tends to have a small specialty that makes them different than the others.

The one I always patch first is the Animodule Tiktok, which gives me the x4 multiplication (16th notes) that drives most of my sequencers. Many of the outputs also end up getting sent to other dividers or multipliers, so not all of them are driven by the same quarter note clock. Having both multiplications and divisions (2, 3, 4, 5, & 6) on the same 4hp module is very necessary for me, and as one wise wiggler in the original Tiktok thread so eloquently said "peanut butter and chocolate, together at last!". A bit dated at this point, but still rings true to me. The switch to select musical or mathematical divisions is also a key feature of this one. The LEDs are a bit of an eyeache and I wish the multiplication outs stopped when the incoming clock stops (as how the division outputs do) but it's still a great module to have.

The Doepfer A-160-2 is also a favorite, which I mainly like for the longer 64 and 128 divisions. Also being able to change the reset behavior with the jumpers on the back has been handy at times. I also like the A-160-5 which almost exclusively drives my high hats. It's pretty easy to play on its own but I'll sometimes sequence the rachets with voltage block. It's a great one to send more infrequent divided clocks so you can get a wider range of useful multiplications.

Circuit Abbey G8 is the last of the 4hp clock div/mults I have. As was already mentioned, it's great for all the varied modes that widely differ from the others. Binary counting, even, and odd divisions are what I tend to use most. It also has a very useful Trigger output that sends a trigger everytime the outputs change. So it's essentially a mult of the incoming clock (except in CV mode) which I typically send on to the next clock divider.

I'll also mention the Triggerman since it has some divide settings both in the internal options of each channel, and one that can be set for all channels with the tempo/division knob. The per channel options are a bit limited with just /2, /3, & /5. A /4 or /8 would be much more useful than 3 or 5 in my opinion, but I seldom use the option anyway. Changing the pattern legnth from 1-7 steps is another way to get clock divisions. I don't think I'll ever get bored of simple 3, 5 or 7 step patterns that bounce around a steady 4/4 kick. It's definitely one of my favorite (and oldest) modules because it's just so easy to get a cool rhythm going quickly. It's got 2 ways to randomize the pattern (slightly different and very different than what's already programmed), and 2 ways to create sequences (scrolling through variations and a more traditional on/off selections for each step. I REALLY wish Delptronics would make a 3rd version of this guy, perhaps with 16 steps instead of 8, and 16 channels also. A huge gripe with it though is the digital encoders that can jump around and make working it a bit befuddling. Also the reset doesn't take into account incoming triggers so everytime it gets a reset trig it ends up 1 step ahead of where it should be.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:05 am

Shakmat Time Wizard. It's got lots of little tricks that make it able to do an amazing amount of things for 8 hp. My only gripe with it is that the tiny knobs can be difficult to work with, but I don't think I'd ever replace it. It can multiply your clock and then divide down from there, which is especially handy when you set the initial multiplication to 3. It's really easy to set up odd time signatures with it. The onboard logic is very simple but useful, I find myself using it probably half the time.

One of my favorite things is that you can manually adjust the phase of each output, so for example you can have 4 separate channels each set to divide by 4, but phase them so you get a sequential trigger array.

setzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by setzer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm

I would actually like a massive module like pams new workout with ZERO menu diving. It would have controls for all 8 channels + CV all available at once with no screen. It would probably be 20hp and still pretty jammed even at that size, but I would actually be really down for that.

I love everything about pams workout from a functional point of view, but that interface just kills me...... hate.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm

3hands wrote:I love my Rotating Clock Divider. It doesn’t always have to rotate!

:tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”