What is your favorite small clock divider/multiplier?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

electricfence
Common Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 pm

My favorite -- although it doesn't multiply -- is the Pittsburgh TimeRunner. It has an intuitive interface that lends to experimentation, and the logic inputs allow for deceptively complex patterns.

witchbutter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by witchbutter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:10 am

PhineasFreak wrote:2hp div:

2hp, 1 in 2 outs - both separately cable div and multiply down to quite large number and it really just does what it says on the tin...
I third this. 2HP div is the smallest and most flexible you can get. Really easy to use and means you have more space for stuff it might drive like envelopes.

If I was going to use 8HP for clocks -> Pam's New Workout. You get so much more than a divider with Pam's too. I would take Pam's over QCD.

If I was going to use 10HP for clocks -> MakeNoise Tempi. Performable clocks with just a touch of chaos.

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 am

Given your experimental nature, you might consider Rung Divisions. Not only do you get a pulse divider, but you can rungle anything that takes your fancy.

nomenklature
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nomenklature » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am

Shakmat Time Wizard has a very clever and 'playable' interface w/ the toggle switches, logic, and various options of mult/div.

but if i had to choose just one, it'd be Temps Utile. 6 outputs. Tried Pamela's and couldn't deal w/ interface; TU has a small bit of menu diving but it's quite straightforward and comes with an incredible amount of flexibility. I use its Turing Machine a lot.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:47 am

williamjturkel wrote:Given your experimental nature, you might consider Rung Divisions. Not only do you get a pulse divider, but you can rungle anything that takes your fancy.
I see.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unk ... -divisions

Looks pretty cool. I will keep that in mind. Thanks!
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:29 am

for completeness, the thread should also mention MI Stages. Yes, it is > 12hp but it has 6 'subunits' and it can also do more than clock division.

Clock division/multiplication in Stages is quite straightforward. Gate input is the clock, the sider controls division/multiplication from 1⁄4 to 4 (with cv control). Output is an envelope/lfo, not a pulse, so one can fake a short delay by morphing ythe waveform (if it is patched into a module with a comparator at the input). There is also a pulse-waveform, but this one is phase shifted (that is: the rising edge is not at the start of the clock pulse).

Anyway, Stages is nothing fancy but if one needs a basic division/multiplication it is a module worth having (and it can be used for other stuff the rest of the time).

Otherwise: i like very basic dividers (like the doepfer a-160) for long division (the clock is then 1 pulse per bar, so you can have thing happening every 32th bar ot so).

Obviously, simpler clock dividers with cv control also work very well with logic modules to create more complex patterns.

Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Pair a G8 with an RCD for 8hp total and you will be busy for years patching them together. :guinness:
Other than that, surprised nobody mentioned Pam's (if you can deal with the menu diving).

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:46 am

The cheapest I found was dreadbox divider which has /2 /4
I needed something and lacked funds.
Only 2hp. But very simple. No pots!

I have just added a time wizard. So plus whatever for the wizard!

It’s very playable once you get used to it a little.
I have only had it in for a week or so but wow.
It’s bright but in a dense patch that helps I think!

The qcd was my first choice way back when in modular grid planning
Researching etc.

Still like the idea of the qcd. But that’s a big contribution to a nice sequencer!

If you can diy the wizard works out quite nice.
It’s an easy build.
Nicely laid out kit with very clear instructions.

If you can do smd, pusherman in the uk will most likely have the boards.
I think they have a temps utile clone.

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 am

Another Tempi fan...not super small, but all the clocking I'll ever need.

Hanz
Analogue Avenger

Post by Hanz » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Mutable Branches running Twigs firmware.
2x voltage controlled clock divider and/or multiplier (or swing!) in one 6hp module.
Last edited by Hanz on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...I am merely a conduit, a kind of big hairy tool. I am just a plastic funnel connected to a Moog...”

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:36 am

You can set up Erica Pico Trig to do clock division. A little limited in the amount of division, up to 1/16 of incoming clock top, but it can do odd division and also odd and even multiplying. 1 clock in and 4 independent out. Easily programmable in 8 banks of four outputs. I got two and they keep the entire rig in sync. 3HP. $140.

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:25 pm

electricfence wrote:My favorite -- although it doesn't multiply -- is the Pittsburgh TimeRunner. It has an intuitive interface that lends to experimentation, and the logic inputs allow for deceptively complex patterns.
I still tend to use this as master clock. Easy to set up and go.somewhere with.
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:57 pm

And if you need connectivity, maybe this:
[video][/video]

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Re: What is your favorite small clock divider/multiplier?

Post by Switchzik » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:08 am

How does it look like in 2020 ?
I'm with the little need for sometime but I'm not very happy with the interface.
I'm looking for 2-3 module that pair well together for rythmes - i.e CV clock divider + burst generator + probability skipper

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 am

So I already mentioned the NE Integra Solum earlier in this thread... but I should also add (and I guess this goes without saying..) that Maths can be a clock divider. I mean, of course right, Maths can do basically anything!

To patch a voltage controlled Clock Divider, patch your incoming clock to the Trig input of Ch1 or Ch4. The Rise knob will set the divisor. The Fall knob will set the width of the resulting clock. Your clock outputs will be in the EOR/EOC outputs.

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm

Definitely 2hp div
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:51 am

Doepfer A-160-2. For the price the Omsonic Clock divider is also a no brainer, only power of two divisions but outputs the original clock saving a mult and works nicely as sub osc.

Whelm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whelm » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:48 am

Seems pretty hard to beat the RCD and the SCM. With the different jumper configurations the flexibility is remarkable.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 am

QCD has very 'loose' timing, it made me look at other approaches.

Currently using the NLC Divide & Conquer for basic clock divisions. It's a bare-bones CMOS pulse divider with lots of simultaneous outputs but it can't reset, go backwards and there's no VC over anything. 8hp.

I also have two Empirical Dual Latch thingies that let me reset and count backwards (4hp total and very useful to have) and an NCOM for VC over the divider (10hp, I'm not sure I can justify that in my system).

Going back to digital is not an option now that I've become used to rock-steady timing. I'm sure you can do - much - better than the QCD in digital, but nothing beats a stable oscillator and CMOS logic (dividers, multiplexers, shift registers etc).
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by pmboos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:11 am

Koryo wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:05 am
Erica Synths - Pico Logic 3hp 4 in 2 out.

[video][/video]
I found Logic really cool and I think it would fit into my workflow better than a simple clock divider or multiplier. I already picked up Branches because well probabilities... Seems like Logic would make a great complement. It also will work well for the sequencer choices I use. So thanks for posting that...

And thanks to the OP for the question!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 am

huffnPuff wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 am
QCD has very 'loose' timing, it made me look at other approaches.
What do mean by “loose”? Does QCD’s sync drift?

Asking because I rebought Tempi to complement PNW, and I realized why I got rid of it in the first place. I find it does drift a bit, and the run/stop behavior can be glitchy, and not in a good way. I was hoping for something simpler, and I’ve been looking hard at the QCD.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 am

I was being polite. It's very glitchy / jittery / it just plain sucks TBH. This is using the internal clock. It's bad when you leave it to its own devices, worse still when you modulate it (patch it to itself etc).

I gave up on it for a reason.

You can always expect some other QCD users to chime in with objections (what do you mean? I like it fine), granted. But consider this: when 4ms came out with the DLD they admitted that the QCD was not accurate enough to work well with it. It's in the DLD thread, unless it has been removed / edited since then.

A CMOS pulse divider, such as the Divide and Conquer, is tighter than a gnat's chuff... I'm quoting NLC's Andrew. I cannot confirm this statement, prevention of cruelty to animals and what not, so we'll have to take his words for it.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:22 am

I too like the doepfer a-160 but it is sometimes more useful with an a-161 sitting next to it.
I have used the one of the a-161 outputs to drive timerunner as a 1/8 clock frequency master.
Now Pams, old or new is sometimes confusing for an old fart like me.

Foghorn
Anyone know if you can drive a-161 with the new clock divider, a-160-2?
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:47 am

huffnPuff wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 am
I was being polite. It's very glitchy / jittery / it just plain sucks TBH. This is using the internal clock. It's bad when you leave it to its own devices, worse still when you modulate it (patch it to itself etc).

I gave up on it for a reason.
Interesting. My complaints about Tempi are similar. PNW makes Tempi seem like a misbehaving child.

I wonder if the 4ms RCD and SCM have similar issues.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 am

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:22 am
I too like the doepfer a-160 but it is sometimes more useful with an a-161 sitting next to it.
I have used the one of the a-161 outputs to drive timerunner as a 1/8 clock frequency master.
Now Pams, old or new is sometimes confusing for an old fart like me.

Foghorn
Anyone know if you can drive a-161 with the new clock divider, a-160-2?
"Note: It is not possible to connect the A-161 to the A-160-2 as the conception of the A-160-2 is totally different compared to the A-160 with it's fixed binary dividing."

… it's why I passed on the latter.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”