Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 am

On it's defense it pretty much has the same "distribution" as compare 2, so for people using a number of Joran's modules it might feel more at home.
Visually I am not so fond of those switches, although I guess they are selected for the ruggedness as in their Switch module.

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 am

mdoudoroff wrote:On paper, this bops MN Function on the noggin, starting with the 1v/o tracking. In practice, we’ll see. Price is TBD, but Joranalogue modules are aggressively priced, and I’ll be surprised if this isn’t competitive with the $165 Function.

Two of these plus Joranalogue’s Select 2 would get you into Maths territory, but assuredly at higher cost, and you’d still be down at least a couple attenuverters. (Maths remains a leading value in Eurorack.) It would take some analysis to work out which patch programming techniques would be gained and lost with each approach. But two (or four!) of these, a couple Select 2s and a Compare 2 and I’d think you’ve got your Super Maths.

One detail I would point out is ergonomics. I consider Maths (and Function) to be ergonomic masterpieces. Not everyone will agree with me, but there are strong arguments in my favor. Mainly: while the distribution and spacing of jacks and knobs on these two MN modules seems random at first glance, in actual use it just works: there’s seldom any spatial challenge to patching and tweaking the module, and doing so generates little interference with neighboring modules. By contrast, Contour 1 adopts the common, hyper-rational tightly-spaced-grid-o-jacks. Those tight jack grids make it harder to patch based on spatial memory (you have to actually check the labels more because of how our brains work), and they can quickly get packed with a wad of cables that obscures the rest of the module or nearby modules. (Which is when some folks start reaching for cable ties.)
peripatitis wrote:On it's defense it pretty much has the same "distribution" as compare 2, so for people using a number of Joran's modules it might feel more at home.
Visually I am not so fond of those switches, although I guess they are selected for the ruggedness as in their Switch module.
There's pros and cons either way. By grouping the controls on the top and sockets on the bottom, you can achieve excellent ergonomics, even in a small module, as the cables are kept out of the way. It really makes a big difference.

Great care is taken to arrange the inputs and outputs in a logical way, so hopefully you should find it very easy to memorise. And if not, well at least the labels are legible! :party:

And indeed, these are in fact the exact same toggle switches as used on Filter 8. Nice and sturdy. I personally prefer the look of them over some of the other types.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1992
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Wish the linear potentiometers can in white, more of a neutral color.

Wondering if we are able to change these out? Assuming these are Bourns 45mm?

On your Filter8 module, the headers are glued together so unable to separate the PCBs... will this be the same on this module?

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:08 pm

cackland wrote:Wish the linear potentiometers can in white, more of a neutral color.

Wondering if we are able to change these out? Assuming these are Bourns 45mm?

On your Filter8 module, the headers are glued together so unable to separate the PCBs... will this be the same on this module?
The white LEDs on some of my modules are a specific shade of white, which isn't available for these LED slide potentiometers. So I chose red instead to display positive output voltage. This way, it's the same as on Filter 8 and Select 2.

They are not Bourns, but appear compatible with the Bourns 30 mm pots.
And yes, the same adhesive will be used here to attach the PCBs to each other (for improved resistance to vibration).

Generally I'd advise against modding, this'll void the warranty and it would be sad if this results in a broken module (desoldering these slide pots without damaging the PCB is a tricky job).
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1992
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Ok fair call. Sometimes I'm a sucker for color coordination / customization.

Thanks for the explanation.

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 pm

Joran, congratulations on what looks to be another fine module design. As you know, I am an ardent Filter 8 player. So I look forward to this one. :)
joranalogue wrote: ...the gate input doubles as a gated loop input in loop mode!
When I read this, I tried to understand whether it meant that looping can be toggled with gates. It turns out that it does, as you ably showed in this video from last October:



But I still don't know how this compares to the cycle CV inputs in Maths and in Mini Slew. Specifically, I think that in Contour 1 using the gate input in loop mode permits outputs only when the gate input receives a gate; it is exclusive. Mini Slew, I don't know. But I know that in Maths using the cycle input is not exclusive; it permits outputs whether or not it is receiving CV.

Is that correct? If so, then Contour 1 is no worse than Function in that regard, while adding a feature that Function doesn't have. I use and like Function, by the way.

In any event, I'm pretty sure that I will try Contour 1 once it is released. I agree with @mdoudoroff's comments on ergonomics; but I strongly prefer red LEDs in the sliders. In fact, one reason I never bought a Mini Slew is its many bright, blue LEDs.

Yesterday I ran out of envelopes of any kind while using just my main case. Well into the patch and short on time, I refused to add another case to it. So I did without. Amid a fierce struggle for space in all my cases now, in the main case I will lose a good but not great filter and gain Contour 1.

Image

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1992
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Thanks for that video, wasn't aware of it. My youtube skills are failing me.

Joran, those cables.... I'm sure you have enough of your plate buttt.... will you be selling those anytime?

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:09 am

cackland wrote:Thanks for that video, wasn't aware of it. My youtube skills are failing me.
My pleasure. I think that I never saw Joran speak before viewing that video. What a nice young man. :mrgreen: Serious and smart, but good-natured and modest. More power to him!

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 am

synonymist wrote:Joran, congratulations on what looks to be another fine module design. As you know, I am an ardent Filter 8 player. So I look forward to this one. :)
joranalogue wrote: ...the gate input doubles as a gated loop input in loop mode!
When I read this, I tried to understand whether it meant that looping can be toggled with gates. It turns out that it does, as you ably showed in this video from last October:



But I still don't know how this compares to the cycle CV inputs in Maths and in Mini Slew. Specifically, I think that in Contour 1 using the gate input in loop mode permits outputs only when the gate input receives a gate; it is exclusive. Mini Slew, I don't know. But I know that in Maths using the cycle input is not exclusive; it permits outputs whether or not it is receiving CV.

Is that correct? If so, then Contour 1 is no worse than Function in that regard, while adding a feature that Function doesn't have. I use and like Function, by the way.

In any event, I'm pretty sure that I will try Contour 1 once it is released. I agree with @mdoudoroff's comments on ergonomics; but I strongly prefer red LEDs in the sliders. In fact, one reason I never bought a Mini Slew is its many bright, blue LEDs.

Yesterday I ran out of envelopes of any kind while using just my main case. Well into the patch and short on time, I refused to add another case to it. So I did without. Amid a fierce struggle for space in all my cases now, in the main case I will lose a good but not great filter and gain Contour 1.

Image
The way the loop feature works in C1 is that by default, the module starts looping as soon the switch is set to the 'loop' position (no need to trigger first). However, if a cable is plugged into the gate socket, a 'high' gate voltage (>+3 V) is required for looping. Basically, exactly like the hold feature on Filter 8, which also has both a socket and a switch. So it's a little bit different from existing slew modules. The main advantage here is that it's a true gate input in slew mode, making it easier to create envelopes reliably.

Also, envelopes are the new VCAs. ;)
cackland wrote:Thanks for that video, wasn't aware of it. My youtube skills are failing me.

Joran, those cables.... I'm sure you have enough of your plate buttt.... will you be selling those anytime?
I get enquiries about them quite often, so I've looked into getting them manufactured, but they would be horrendously expensive I'm afraid!
synonymist wrote:
cackland wrote:Thanks for that video, wasn't aware of it. My youtube skills are failing me.
My pleasure. I think that I never saw Joran speak before viewing that video. What a nice young man. :mrgreen: Serious and smart, but good-natured and modest. More power to him!
Aw... shucks. :)
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

snm
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Post by snm » Tue May 28, 2019 9:52 pm

So the gate input allows the C1 to behave like a gated VCO or LFO? What input would you use for an ASR envelope? Can C1 be re-triggered during the rise phase?

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Wed May 29, 2019 3:19 am

snm wrote:So the gate input allows the C1 to behave like a gated VCO or LFO? What input would you use for an ASR envelope? Can C1 be re-triggered during the rise phase?
Yes, and in slew mode you use the gate input to create attack-release envelopes with +10 V sustain level. Alternatively, you can use the analogue input for variable sustain level.

A trigger during any stage (rise, hold or fall) will reset and retrigger the module.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

snm
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Post by snm » Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm

joranalogue wrote:
snm wrote:So the gate input allows the C1 to behave like a gated VCO or LFO? What input would you use for an ASR envelope? Can C1 be re-triggered during the rise phase?
Yes, and in slew mode you use the gate input to create attack-release envelopes with +10 V sustain level. Alternatively, you can use the analogue input for variable sustain level.

A trigger during any stage (rise, hold or fall) will reset and retrigger the module.
Fantastic. Is there an ETA?

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm

snm wrote:Fantastic. Is there an ETA?
Currently working overtime verifying some last-minute changes to the design before production starts. The first units will most likely ship in July.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
scragz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Post by scragz » Wed May 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Oh, exciting! Gonna get rid of my Maths in favor of one of these and some other utilities more tailored to my setup.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1992
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Wed May 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Joranalogue -> 1 man operation? Excluding assembly?

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm

cackland wrote:Joranalogue -> 1 man operation? Excluding assembly?
Pretty much, yes. :)
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1723
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:13 pm

joranalogue wrote: A trigger during any stage (rise, hold or fall) will reset and retrigger the module.
ah damn. i guess im a bit late on this so im assuming there is no way to have it ignore trig in attack phase? i find this to be a very musical feature when using as envelope

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:37 pm

damase wrote:
joranalogue wrote: A trigger during any stage (rise, hold or fall) will reset and retrigger the module.
ah damn. i guess im a bit late on this so im assuming there is no way to have it ignore trig in attack phase? i find this to be a very musical feature when using as envelope
Being able to trigger during the rise phase gives you quite a bit of versatility, for example for VCO hard sync tones.

But you can still ignore triggers during rise with a bit of patching, thanks to the rise/fall gate outputs. The trick is to use an external gated signal switch (one half of Select 2 for example) to only transfer the trigger signal to C1 while the rise output is low.


By the way, production is finally (nearly) ready to start. Expect the module to be available worldwide in about a month. Final pricing, manual, pre-orders etc. will be coming really soon!
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1723
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 pm

thanks for the prompt response and reasonable workaround... ill have a think over the options with that in mind

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:12 am

Production of Contour 1 has now begun, and dealers will soon start offering pre-orders. As usual, the first batch will be limited; please get in touch with your favourite retailer to reserve yours. Pricing: €195 / £175 / $195 (MSRP)

The user manual is now also available, containing the module's full description and patch ideas: https://joranalogue.com/contour-1/manual

:sb:
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 am

:love:

Got my first Joranalogue module yesterday. Select 2. It is very precise. And I know the Filter 8 from a friend. (sadly I've got enough filters :-)

This slew and the Generator will be next for me because everything in those modules is agreeing with me.

good times ahead!

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 am

MvK wrote::love:

Got my first Joranalogue module yesterday. Select 2. It is very precise. And I know the Filter 8 from a friend. (sadly I've got enough filters :-)

This slew and the Generator will be next for me because everything in those modules is agreeing with me.

good times ahead!
Nice to hear that, thanks!
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 am

one question about the normalisation. If I only wanted to modulate the rise time would I have to put a dummycable into the other cv Rate input? Same with bend?

seems to be at schneiders soon :-)

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:39 am

MvK wrote:one question about the normalisation. If I only wanted to modulate the rise time would I have to put a dummycable into the other cv Rate input? Same with bend?

seems to be at schneiders soon :-)
Yes, that's correct!
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:56 pm

The wait is over and Contour 1 is now in stock (or very soon) at your friendly neighbourhood Eurorack dealer! :bananaguitar:

Once again, Ben Divkid is here to teach you some of Contour 1's tricks in an extensive YouTube overview video:

[video][/video]

Don't worry, he didn't drop the module!
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”