Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

User avatar
Aelitafrommars
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 am
Location: Gothenburg
Contact:

Post by Aelitafrommars » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:34 am

Thanks! This really helped me make an informed decision. Added contour 1 to my thomann basket for the next salary. :banana:

User avatar
Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:04 pm
Location: Down, down, down the dark ladder

Post by Fog Door » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 am

This module looks/sounds really good :party:

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:41 am

I bought the contour1 as soon as it came out because I had very good experiences with the select2 and compare2. Any of those modules are very precise and after you understand them fully they are very fast to operate and very predictable (in the best possible way).

Here are my thoughts about the c1 ( I tried some but not all use cases)

Envelope: I bought the maths and the Frequency central system x env as part of my first batch of modules 3 Years ago. As my system grew I've been struggling to find envelopes of similar quality (a matter of taste I guess). So any new envelope has to compete with these classics. I bought and sold the MI stages (failed due to the shaping which wasn't my taste, and I seem to be an analogue guy concerning envs) and the Vermona Fourmative contours ( great, but too complicated to setup). Then I thought why not getting another maths because I didn't seem to be able to get something of similar quality, but after that I still needed some more. I've been mainly using the C1 envelope for VCAs (Vermona Quadropol and Cwejman QMMF-4). These are the best VCAs I can think of and very sensible. The faders of the c1 are perfect. Not only the feeling but also the scaling is very playable. I've been doing a gig last saturday where I used it on the VCA controlling some filtered noise to get some HiHat like sounds and here the blend parameter of the decay is just great. I've been playing the drums for a long time and know how there are dozens of ways to hit a HiHat. Not only velocity is important but also with which part of the stick you hit which part of the hat. The Blend parameter does a lot to simulate different decay shapes of the HiHat and it can get very "acoustic" or "natural" that way. For this I used the trigger input which leaves the "normal" input free for some additional CV. I've been using a (sometimes) synced LFO on that and got some wonderfully polyrythmic Hats that way. There is still a lot I didn't try like selfpatching the output into the blend or range input for getting different shapes, or using the gate outputs for some logic etc.

Slew:
I used this on a v/oct signal. The Hold input is great to thin out arpeggios that fire any 16th and normally get very boring after a short time. If a synced Gate sequence is used here the arpeggios can get very interesting. With the compare2 together the options are endless. The output of the v/oct is very precise. I compared the input with the output and didn't notice any derivations. Its better than the maths in that respect which is already pretty good.

Oscillator:
WoW. Tracking seems to be very good. Normally you would use this as a free running oscillator using the v/oct on both rate CVs (normalized) and this is great. But I urge anyone who has the C1 to try the following: Mix the C1's output with a "normal" osc. Also "sync" the C1 with the other osc by using the trigger input. Now only use the v/oct CV on the decay rate. You can get very rich timbres that way.

I hope joranalogue will be around for many years to come. I'll be interested in any new design. For me it is the same league as cwejman, synth tech and schippmann, but more affordable.

As soon as I can afford it I'll get the F8 and the G3.

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:03 pm

MvK wrote:I bought the contour1 as soon as it came out because I had very good experiences with the select2 and compare2. Any of those modules are very precise and after you understand them fully they are very fast to operate and very predictable (in the best possible way).

Here are my thoughts about the c1 ( I tried some but not all use cases)
Thank you for sharing your experiences with Contour 1. Hope you'll enjoy the module for a long time to come!
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
oilpanic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:27 am
Location: Petaluma CA

Post by oilpanic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:33 pm

This thing is off the hook! I was going to get a "regular" simple slew just to even out some voltages and get some more use of my choppy LFOs and modulation, but I invested just a little more and got this instead. This turned out to be a really good idea. My whole system just opened up and became a vibrating beast on a Joranalogue journey to a different planet. Nice.

licknar
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Post by licknar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:16 pm

How does using unipolar voltages for an oscillator work? Or when this is switched to loop does the voltage output change to -5v to 5v?

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:09 am

licknar wrote:How does using unipolar voltages for an oscillator work? Or when this is switched to loop does the voltage output change to -5v to 5v?
Contour 1 will loop between +10 V and the voltage at the analogue input (0 V by default).
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

licknar
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Post by licknar » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 am

joranalogue wrote:
licknar wrote:How does using unipolar voltages for an oscillator work? Or when this is switched to loop does the voltage output change to -5v to 5v?
Contour 1 will loop between +10 V and the voltage at the analogue input (0 V by default).
Ok I am maybe just wondering in general why some oscillators are -5 to 5v and others are 0 to 10v? When I record audio does it matter if it is unipolar or bipolar? If I am mixing unipolar and bipolar audio sources should I use a 5v (or -5v) offset on one of the audio signals so they match up?

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:39 am

licknar wrote:
joranalogue wrote:
licknar wrote:How does using unipolar voltages for an oscillator work? Or when this is switched to loop does the voltage output change to -5v to 5v?
Contour 1 will loop between +10 V and the voltage at the analogue input (0 V by default).
Ok I am maybe just wondering in general why some oscillators are -5 to 5v and others are 0 to 10v? When I record audio does it matter if it is unipolar or bipolar? If I am mixing unipolar and bipolar audio sources should I use a 5v (or -5v) offset on one of the audio signals so they match up?
C1 is unipolar by default because it can be used as an envelope as well as an oscillator/LFO/'looping envelope'.

The only real disadvantage of working with unipolar signals is reduced headroom, as you'll be much closer to the clipping ceiling on the positive side than the negative.

You can typically mix signals containing DC offsets without any issues. But if you want the maximum headroom, AC-coupling or applying a -5 V offset is recommended. Some mixers are AC-coupled, removing the DC on their inputs (but this also means they can only be used to mix audio signals). A dedicated output module such as Transmit 2 will normally be AC-coupled as well, so your signal destination only receives audio frequency material.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

licknar
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Post by licknar » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:50 am

joranalogue wrote: C1 is unipolar by default because it can be used as an envelope as well as an oscillator/LFO/'looping envelope'.

The only real disadvantage of working with unipolar signals is reduced headroom, as you'll be much closer to the clipping ceiling on the positive side than the negative.

You can typically mix signals containing DC offsets without any issues. But if you want the maximum headroom, AC-coupling or applying a -5 V offset is recommended. Some mixers are AC-coupled, removing the DC on their inputs (but this also means they can only be used to mix audio signals). A dedicated output module such as Transmit 2 will normally be AC-coupled as well, so your signal destination only receives audio frequency material.
Really appreciate this explanation, super clear! Thank you.

Contour1 looks like an excellent take on the DUSG, definitely grabbing one!

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:44 pm

Here it is: the Little Modular review of Contour 1! :sb:

[video][/video]
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

synthysynth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:32 pm
Location: New York

Post by synthysynth » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:32 pm

When and where can I get one of these in the US?

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Perfect Circuit, Detroit Modular, and Analogue Haven all nominally stock Joranalogue stuff, but when I looked last week when all the labor day sales were going on, everyone was out of stock. I'd also like to know when another batch will be available.

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:49 am

Yes, the initial US stock sold out very quickly. More units are coming in about 2 weeks! :omg:
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by joranalogue » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:33 am

Good news: C1 restocks are on their way to dealers all around the world!

Meanwhile, the Synth DiY Guy presents an expedition into the world of Contour 1: audio oscillations, portamento, envelope generation, waveshaping and more...

[video][/video]
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:53 am

Good news. Thanks for sharing the vid

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 am

has anyone compared contour's evenlopes to maths in terms of "super many sweetspots compared to most other egs"? similar shapes/response?

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4989
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:05 am

seems closest to the WMD/SSF MiniSlew.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 am

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by cg_funk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:43 am

droningspaghettimonster wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 am
has anyone compared contour's evenlopes to maths in terms of "super many sweetspots compared to most other egs"? similar shapes/response?
I actually prefer it to Maths. It has an audio/full switch that changes the range, and I find the combo of this plus the sliders makes it very nice to set the range. Also the sliders light up!! It’s awesome and very visual. You can tune your envelopes with the sound off and get it right on.

It doesn’t fully replace Maths though... I still have one of those in my small rack too. I find the two complement each other in a good way.

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4989
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:55 pm

ordered. can't wait. I have too many envelope things, but this still seems to offer something different.

User avatar
megarat
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by megarat » Sat May 23, 2020 4:47 am

What is the longest one of these can slew? The manual says 30 seconds, but that's w/o voltage control, and I noticed that if you put -10V into the rate input, with the slider topped, it seems to take forever (which is a good thing).

Has anyone had the patience to determine how long it runs when maxxed out like this? And will this vary by the bend setting?

User avatar
joranalogue
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by joranalogue » Sat May 23, 2020 10:05 am

megarat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:47 am
What is the longest one of these can slew? The manual says 30 seconds, but that's w/o voltage control, and I noticed that if you put -10V into the rate input, with the slider topped, it seems to take forever (which is a good thing).

Has anyone had the patience to determine how long it runs when maxxed out like this? And will this vary by the bend setting?
About 8.5 hours in theory, but I've never tested this myself. You're basically in leakage current territory here, so this may vary a lot in practice, even between units or both directions on the same unit. I wouldn't rely on the bend compensation being very effective at these extreme slew rates either. But yes, you can go far beyond 30 seconds this way.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

User avatar
megarat
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by megarat » Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 pm

joranalogue wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:05 am
About 8.5 hours in theory, but I've never tested this myself. You're basically in leakage current territory here, so this may vary a lot in practice, even between units or both directions on the same unit. I wouldn't rely on the bend compensation being very effective at these extreme slew rates either. But yes, you can go far beyond 30 seconds this way.
Outstanding, thanks for the details. I love having this kind of range.

User avatar
daphnid
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by daphnid » Sat May 23, 2020 11:10 pm

I'd gotten so much use out of the Filter 8 as an osc and sound shaper I got this and it makes for another great osc and FM source for the Filter 8 among all the the other more obvious stuff it does. I only have a couple very basic analog oscillators and the Filter 8 and Contour 1 really bring so much more depth and variety to my analog sound source palette. These are such feature packed modules for their size and truly feel like cutting edge analog as advertised. Weirdly they don't feel crowded either. If you need a fantastic function generator and are light on oscillators and space, scoop this puppy.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:58 pm

have any of you guys noticed particular smoother envelopes from the Contour 1 compared to Maths? Every time I use it Im amazed at how quickly i can dial in where i want to go vs the time im tweaking maths to get it just right. could very well be simply my in experience w maths but wonder if anyone else perceives a noticeable difference in vibe between the envelopes the two modules make. Am I incorrect in thinking that on paper these two modules should be able to replicate each others behavior?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”