Voltage Research Laboratory!! Pitt Mod......

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Wed May 08, 2019 1:35 pm

pinhole_sunrise wrote:I like the concept but the patchbay and cables hanging over the touch plate is a poor design choice. They should’ve left open the space directly under the patch bay and the touch plate open, sort of how the Synthesizers.com Box 11 cases are built. You can easily tuck excess cable in that space and out of the way of the touchplate.
I think the middle wood thing can be removed (2 screws each side of the rack), that might leave the same kind of open space as in the Box11.

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Wed May 08, 2019 1:44 pm

...fabulous piece of gear! exactly what I need to make fart noises on modular mondays live sessions :)

...the best marketing I have seen in eurorack, it was fun to hear and watch the videos, good performances by artists...

that form factor is my preferred style, I built my modular just like that :hihi:

my modular is a studio tool, is pretty big to carry on simple gigs, I wished for a complete system -west coast style, cause I mostly sequence my modular east-coast style... and it is good for making tracks with synths and drum machines... but kind of boring for the art crowd or too complex for live patching sometimes... I mostly record it in multitrack, sometimes just drop in sequences, and I am setup for that....

...but a nice self contained system, not to sequence but play in a more experimental fashion, is exactly what I am looking for. And not too expensive. That's it.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Backed! 8-)

Pittsburgh are mining gold these days.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Wed May 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Backed! Looks like it's about to reach the fundraising goal already.

NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle » Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 pm

morgulbee wrote:Backed! Looks like it's about to reach the fundraising goal already.
Funded!
Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Slabwax » Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Im pulling the trigger on this one. Sounds great.

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Slabwax » Wed May 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Xmit wrote:Dithered there for a bit .. but in the end I just couldn’t resist & managed to just nip in & nab an early bird system just before the door slammed. :)
Exciting :bananaguitar:

Seems like a smart move to me.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Soy Sos wrote:I get kind if bugged over statements like this.
" I was critical of the microvolt which sounded a little boring and harsh but lifeless to me."
From youtube clips, boring, harsh AND lifeless? It's a fantastic design, as good as any instrument you could use. Yes I'm tight with the company, but Richard and Michael are excellent designers who love synths and spend an insane amount of time developing their works. Try these instruments for yourself and see what I'm talking about. Or don't.
Yeah, it sounds to me sort of smudgey--nothing against the individuals, the instruments, the company, the other modules they make, or the people who play them. This new synth is much more interesting to me. It's not a realistic option to try every synth in person or I probably would since there are not many synths I haven't had at least some fun playing. :despair:

moogah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moogah » Wed May 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Jumped on this as well, the demos really sound nice and there's something to say for having a system that all fits together and still has all the connections to sit in a larger case.

Faastwalker
Common Wiggler

Post by Faastwalker » Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 am

I've never backed a Kickstarter before. Almost have several times. But REALLY tempted with this one. I think I'd just go for the main module rather than the whole system at this stage. How does Kickstarter work? If you back do you pay the full amount straight away? Just weighing up my funds before pulling the trigger.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Thu May 09, 2019 1:30 am

Faastwalker wrote:I've never backed a Kickstarter before. Almost have several times. But REALLY tempted with this one. I think I'd just go for the main module rather than the whole system at this stage. How does Kickstarter work? If you back do you pay the full amount straight away? Just weighing up my funds before pulling the trigger.
You create an account and pay the full price straight. Be advised Kickstarter is not a store, it's a front to make donations to projects which might or not be completed. But Pittsburgh Modular you can fully trust them with delivering the final product.

I would advise against any project on Indiegogo though. Indiegogo is where the scammers go because contrarily to Kickstarter they can keep the pledged money even if the campaign isn't successful.

In both case you have almost 0 recourse if something goes wrong so it's extra important you have trust in the project creators.

Be advised also that the pledge most likely doesn't include any VAT in case you live outside of the US so you will have to pay that on reception of your delivery. Shipping costs might be extra too.

hippasus
Common Wiggler

Post by hippasus » Thu May 09, 2019 3:33 am

ggillon wrote: Be advised also that the pledge most likely doesn't include any VAT in case you live outside of the US so you will have to pay that on reception of your delivery. Shipping costs might be extra too.
Could somebody confirm this? Would the european backers have to pay the VAT on top of the pledge? I know there could be a situation where "The reward is freight shipped to a fulfillment center in Europe and fulfilled to European backers from there."VAT-kickstarter

elinch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elinch » Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 am

I still have a Pittsburgh Structure 96 unused on the shelf. I think that would be a very compact system. Handling the patchcords could even work better than with the original design.
Just a pity that the Outputmodul with the cool lettering is not in the Eurorackset here :evil:

Image[/img]

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 am

hippasus wrote:
ggillon wrote: Be advised also that the pledge most likely doesn't include any VAT in case you live outside of the US so you will have to pay that on reception of your delivery. Shipping costs might be extra too.
Could somebody confirm this? Would the european backers have to pay the VAT on top of the pledge? I know there could be a situation where "The reward is freight shipped to a fulfillment center in Europe and fulfilled to European backers from there."VAT-kickstarter
I guess this needs to be confirmed with them because their pledge amounts are not clear on this.

They COULD cover the shipping and VAT but they have no obligation to do so, and it's never a good surprise to have to pay 21% of product+shipment costs on goods receipt

ugerhard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ugerhard » Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am

I have backed this (being based in Germany), and I fully expect to have to pay the VAT and customs duty on delivery.

If you look at the prices for US products in German stores, they mostly are exactly that amount higher than the US prices. A recent example is the preorder price for the Moog Matriarch which is around 2250 EUR in german stores which closely matches the ca. 2000 EURO base price plus 19% VAT and 3.5% customs duty.

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 am

I expect something like 1400/1450€ with VAT in Europe for the full system.

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Thu May 09, 2019 9:24 am

ggillon wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:I've never backed a Kickstarter before. Almost have several times. But REALLY tempted with this one. I think I'd just go for the main module rather than the whole system at this stage. How does Kickstarter work? If you back do you pay the full amount straight away? Just weighing up my funds before pulling the trigger.
You create an account and pay the full price straight. Be advised Kickstarter is not a store, it's a front to make donations to projects which might or not be completed. But Pittsburgh Modular you can fully trust them with delivering the final product.

I would advise against any project on Indiegogo though. Indiegogo is where the scammers go because contrarily to Kickstarter they can keep the pledged money even if the campaign isn't successful.

In both case you have almost 0 recourse if something goes wrong so it's extra important you have trust in the project creators.

Be advised also that the pledge most likely doesn't include any VAT in case you live outside of the US so you will have to pay that on reception of your delivery. Shipping costs might be extra too.
Your credit card will be charged the full amount when the campaign closes, which in this case will be June 7. I saw a pending charge of 20% yesterday after I made my pledge, but I expect that's just a check to make sure the card is good and I won't actually be charged.

I agree with all those cautions. I would never back something like this from an unknown operation, but Pittsburgh is well respected.

With this Kickstarter, they added a $30 shipping charge (I'm in the US) on top of the advertised price. I've been in other Kickstarters where the shipping was included in the original price, and also where it was tacked on later.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 am

[video][/video]

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 am

In this video the price for the entire unit (retail) is said to be $1599. For just the touch controller it's $399.00. For just the synth unit without the controller it's $899.00 (all USD).

... "Super Boof" ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[video][/video]
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Thu May 09, 2019 2:46 pm

[video][/video]

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I really, really wish that they had not used those blue LEDs. I can’t buy this.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 pm

pines wrote:I really, really wish that they had not used those blue LEDs. I can’t buy this.
They can and are planning on adjusting the brightness, K?

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Soy Sos wrote:
pines wrote:I really, really wish that they had not used those blue LEDs. I can’t buy this.
They can and are planning on adjusting the brightness, K?
Are you saying that the brightness will be user adjustable?
If that’s the case, then I’m back on board.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 pm

NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle » Fri May 10, 2019 9:33 am

The LEDs in those types of sliders can be easily pulled out and replaced with a different color. The panel LEDs are a bit more difficult.

Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago

Return to “Eurorack Modules”