Our answer to modular polyphony: Supercritical Synthesizers

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
elpas0
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:29 am
Location: Moscow

Post by elpas0 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am

770 eur? Well, that escalated quickly..

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 am

This monster sounds absolutely excellent. It says 490 Euros including VAT online right now?

Where is the best place to purchase one as a US resident? Only found on seemingly obscure site so far.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 am

sorry fot that noob question but i simply don't get it:

there are 16 single analoque oscillators 'in' this module?
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

User avatar
PopGoblin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:45 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Post by PopGoblin » Sun May 05, 2019 7:54 am

Waiting eagerly for this - the midi on the expander is genius...

I see Schneidersladen has 'em listed. Will you be selling online from your own site, or should we just preorder from Schneiders?

Footkerchief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1057
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:43 am
Location: you can't tell me I'm not in space

Post by Footkerchief » Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 am

slumberjack wrote:sorry fot that noob question but i simply don't get it:

there are 16 single analoque oscillators 'in' this module?
Kind of. Digitally controlled oscillators produce a true analog wave, with some compromises. This is a great explanation of the principle: https://electricdruid.net/roland-juno-dcos/

User avatar
JES
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by JES » Sun May 05, 2019 9:06 am

Footkerchief wrote:
slumberjack wrote:sorry fot that noob question but i simply don't get it:

there are 16 single analoque oscillators 'in' this module?
Kind of. Digitally controlled oscillators produce a true analog wave, with some compromises. This is a great explanation of the principle: https://electricdruid.net/roland-juno-dcos/
Wow. That was an amazing read. I've learned TWO bits of history from this thread.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 05, 2019 9:28 am

Footkerchief wrote:
slumberjack wrote:sorry fot that noob question but i simply don't get it:

there are 16 single analoque oscillators 'in' this module?
Kind of. Digitally controlled oscillators produce a true analog wave, with some compromises. This is a great explanation of the principle: https://electricdruid.net/roland-juno-dcos/
thx for the link. but my question remains. are there 16 individual digital controlled but analoque generated waveforms being produced an the board of this module? one oscillator for each note? or is the some kind of magic happening?
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6346
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 am

pinkflag16 wrote:
Ringo wrote:
...which caused the death of two scientists. So the symbolism and the name are really not as bad as I thought.
Christopher Winkels wrote:
Ringo wrote: a nuclear bomb which caused the death of two scientists. So the symbolism and the name are really not as bad as I thought.
:doh:
Member *Ringo ..... can you hear yourself speak?

I no longer respect your position and no longer feel it's ok to feel the way you do.

I speak for myself, and no-one else.

(... and unsubbed ...)

8-)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

User avatar
mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2559
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by mskala » Sun May 05, 2019 3:31 pm

slumberjack wrote:thx for the link. but my question remains. are there 16 individual digital controlled but analoque generated waveforms being produced an the board of this module? one oscillator for each note? or is the some kind of magic happening?
Some kind of magic happening, was the response when I asked about this earlier in the thread.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 05, 2019 4:19 pm

mskala wrote:
slumberjack wrote:thx for the link. but my question remains. are there 16 individual digital controlled but analoque generated waveforms being produced an the board of this module? one oscillator for each note? or is the some kind of magic happening?
Some kind of magic happening, was the response when I asked about this earlier in the thread.
to me the answer to your question was a bit unclear. i'd be fair enough for people like me with no specific knowledge of circuitry to get a straight yes or no response. we'll keep waiting for the guys to reply.

peace
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

User avatar
mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2559
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by mskala » Sun May 05, 2019 4:30 pm

slumberjack wrote:
mskala wrote:Some kind of magic happening, was the response when I asked about this earlier in the thread.
to me the answer to your question was a bit unclear.
To me, too! I was hoping the manufacturers would give specific details. But I think it's at least clear that it is not 16 fully independent analog cores; they said some significant parts are combined to allow a smaller number of integrators (maybe even just one integrator) to produce what is claimed to be an output equivalent to what would come from mixing the outputs of 16 independent cores. I'm not going to speculate on how that might work, given that there's too much speculation and too few facts in this thread already.

tisaalho
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 am
Location: Finland

Post by tisaalho » Mon May 06, 2019 1:48 am

JES wrote:
The only really important thing for the Demon Core at first is that the MIDI through passes MPE data correctly.
It does, the thru is an old school hardware MIDI thru, no processing, filtering etc.
JES wrote:
So here's what I think I'd need with a Linnstrument to make MPE work with an oscillator module. If you pulled this off, I think it would be the first MPE oscillator in Eurorack.

...

Also happy to talk Linnstrument vs Seaboard if you are seriously considering one or the other (I own a Linnstrument and a Seaboard block).
Thanks! Yeah, it seems like an interesting idea to do MPE. I'm not promising anything, but I'll take a look once we've shipped the first batch of modules etc, i.e. I'll hopefully have a bit more time on my hands 8-)

I'm definitely open for recommendations on Linnstrument vs Seaboard etc. I've tried the Seaboard a couple of times in a store, but somehow didn't "get into it" immediately. But obviously a few minutes isn't probably enough to learn to appreciate it!

tisaalho
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 am
Location: Finland

Post by tisaalho » Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 am

slumberjack wrote:
mskala wrote:
slumberjack wrote:thx for the link. but my question remains. are there 16 individual digital controlled but analoque generated waveforms being produced an the board of this module? one oscillator for each note? or is the some kind of magic happening?
Some kind of magic happening, was the response when I asked about this earlier in the thread.
to me the answer to your question was a bit unclear. i'd be fair enough for people like me with no specific knowledge of circuitry to get a straight yes or no response. we'll keep waiting for the guys to reply.

peace
Whether it's a yes or no depends on how you exactly phrase your question :lol:

"Does it physically have the same circuitry as 16 ordinary Juno style DCO's would have?": No.
"Does the output signal have the qualities expected of a sum of 16 Juno style DCO's: entirely aliasing free, spectrum extends up to the far ultrasonic, no quantisation of levels (i.e. waveform is analog by any definition of the word), exact quantized frequency/pitch (unless intentionally modulated)": Yes.

Anyway, we prefer to keep the detailed principle of operation a secret for know, as it's unique to us and we've spent quite some effort in developing this. We hope you understand, and let the sound speak for itself!

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 06, 2019 4:06 am

tisaalho wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
mskala wrote:
slumberjack wrote:thx for the link. but my question remains. are there 16 individual digital controlled but analoque generated waveforms being produced an the board of this module? one oscillator for each note? or is the some kind of magic happening?
Some kind of magic happening, was the response when I asked about this earlier in the thread.
to me the answer to your question was a bit unclear. i'd be fair enough for people like me with no specific knowledge of circuitry to get a straight yes or no response. we'll keep waiting for the guys to reply.

peace
Whether it's a yes or no depends on how you exactly phrase your question :lol:

"Does it physically have the same circuitry as 16 ordinary Juno style DCO's would have?": No.
"Does the output signal have the qualities expected of a sum of 16 Juno style DCO's: entirely aliasing free, spectrum extends up to the far ultrasonic, no quantisation of levels (i.e. waveform is analog by any definition of the word), exact quantized frequency/pitch (unless intentionally modulated)": Yes.

Anyway, we prefer to keep the detailed principle of operation a secret for know, as it's unique to us and we've spent quite some effort in developing this. We hope you understand, and let the sound speak for itself!
i didn't asked about 'the same circuitry' i was asking if there were 16 individual analoque osc (what the heck how ever they are controlled, clocked or if their handpicked on a asian backstreet market) as a soundsource. sorry for being pendantic it's just out of couriosity again, is that a yes or no?

thanks for your answer in advance!
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Footkerchief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1057
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:43 am
Location: you can't tell me I'm not in space

Post by Footkerchief » Mon May 06, 2019 7:54 am

slumberjack wrote: i didn't asked about 'the same circuitry' i was asking if there were 16 individual analoque osc (what the heck how ever they are controlled, clocked or if their handpicked on a asian backstreet market) as a soundsource. sorry for being pendantic it's just out of couriosity again, is that a yes or no?

thanks for your answer in advance!
If you don't mean "16 individual analoque osc" from the perspective of circuitry, for what purpose or from what perspective are you asking? There aren't 16 individual output jacks.

User avatar
JES
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by JES » Mon May 06, 2019 9:57 am

tisaalho wrote:
I'm definitely open for recommendations on Linnstrument vs Seaboard etc. I've tried the Seaboard a couple of times in a store, but somehow didn't "get into it" immediately. But obviously a few minutes isn't probably enough to learn to appreciate it!
Ok: here we go:

Seaboard is basically a keyboard crossed with a double bass. The squishiness is great but if you aren't a great keyboardist, it won't make you any better. I've played bass for 38 years, so when the Linnstrument came out with rows designed in 4ths, I was thrilled because I instantly understood the relationships among the notes. I wish for slightly more squishiness.

Once you learn to program the Linnstrument, you can do it in less than 5 minutes and don't need a computer. The Seaboards seem to need to be plugged into a computer. Roger Linn personally replies to support queries and usually in less than 24 hours. The Roli people took a week to let me know they'd get back to me in another week. Linnstrument is more expensive.

Or maybe you were asking about the musical usefulness of MPE in a modular context? I can answer that too...

But I won't derail the thread totally so PM me if you want to talk about it more. My opinions are just that. Others may have different ones.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Ringo
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 am

Post by Ringo » Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:
Ringo wrote:
...which caused the death of two scientists. So the symbolism and the name are really not as bad as I thought.
Christopher Winkels wrote:
Ringo wrote: a nuclear bomb which caused the death of two scientists. So the symbolism and the name are really not as bad as I thought.
:doh:
Member *Ringo ..... can you hear yourself speak?

I no longer respect your position and no longer feel it's ok to feel the way you do.

I speak for myself, and no-one else.

(... and unsubbed ...)

8-)
I have said multiple times that I don´t like the name "demon core" either. :despair:

Also, I am not responsible for it. The potentially controversial name is the decision of the manufacturer.

However, if I had to choose between two ills, I would slightly prefer a reference to an historical, albeit deadly, nuclear experiment to a module with a supposedly demonic core. Both interpretations are unfortunate in my opinion. I think there is nothing wrong with my opinion.

tisaalho
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 am
Location: Finland

Post by tisaalho » Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 am

slumberjack wrote:
i didn't asked about 'the same circuitry' i was asking if there were 16 individual analoque osc (what the heck how ever they are controlled, clocked or if their handpicked on a asian backstreet market) as a soundsource. sorry for being pendantic it's just out of couriosity again, is that a yes or no?
It does not have 16 individual oscillator circuits. It has a single analog oscillator core producing the sound.

User avatar
southberry
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:56 pm
Location: Toulouse

Post by southberry » Wed May 08, 2019 3:51 am

More Demo please ! I'm more interested by what I do with it that I can't do with others ! I don't really care about the technique to achieve this module ,
it looks like the sound source I was missing in my modular ....

tisaalho
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 am
Location: Finland

Post by tisaalho » Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 am

southberry wrote:More Demo please ! I'm more interested by what I do with it that I can't do with others ! I don't really care about the technique to achieve this module ,
it looks like the sound source I was missing in my modular ....
We'll try to get around to doing more demos, hopefully later this month. Is there anything specific that you'd like to hear demoed?

hzzzu
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 am

Post by hzzzu » Wed May 08, 2019 4:08 am

Regarding demos, I could try to do some quick patch demos soon if you have some specific patch ideas. Shoot!

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 am

Footkerchief wrote: Kind of. Digitally controlled oscillators produce a true analog wave, with some compromises. This is a great explanation of the principle: https://electricdruid.net/roland-juno-dcos/
Thank you for the link and info. Fantastic information!
Last edited by 2disbetter on Wed May 08, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
southberry
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:56 pm
Location: Toulouse

Post by southberry » Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 am

tisaalho wrote:
southberry wrote:More Demo please ! I'm more interested by what I do with it that I can't do with others ! I don't really care about the technique to achieve this module ,
it looks like the sound source I was missing in my modular ....
We'll try to get around to doing more demos, hopefully later this month. Is there anything specific that you'd like to hear demoed?
I don't know , a proper video demo of the module must be great. I mean with "16 osc" it must be capable of a really fat sound. I'm a big fan of wave animator stuff and that kind of module to emulate the effects of multiple osc ... this module can save me a lot of HP / patch ... This is what I like in old vintage polysynth ala Polysix / Juno ....

User avatar
PopGoblin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:45 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Post by PopGoblin » Sun May 12, 2019 3:49 pm

I got to play around with it at SB16... sounded great to my ears.

Still hoping for a release date soon!?

tisaalho
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 am
Location: Finland

Post by tisaalho » Mon May 13, 2019 3:58 am

PopGoblin wrote:I got to play around with it at SB16... sounded great to my ears.

Still hoping for a release date soon!?
It's already on presale at a number of retailers, and we are aiming to ship the first batch in June.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”