Befaco VCMC voltage controlled MIDI controller

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Befaco VCMC voltage controlled MIDI controller

Post by resynthesize » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Devilwidget wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:41 am
I just wish it had a silver panel...
+1000

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am

would love to see more videos of this in action playing a poly synth of any kind. or a drum machine, digitone, Nord drum anybody ?
seems to be under the radar a wee bit still. considering this for Nord rack 2x and others in the rig.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:16 am

I have ordered one, seems like a no brainer, hope it can deal with triggers better than my a 192-1

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:36 am

Just bought a used VCMC. I agree, it needs more demos. What I hadn't really grasped from watching the demos and skimming through the docs, is the amount of events it can transmit. On the panel it looks like there are 8 channels. While that is sort of true, you can choose to configure each part of a channel (slider, gate, cv input) to transmit completely independent data (or not). So the button+gate can send a note in Midi channel 1, while the slider above changes a CC value on Midi channel 2, and the cv input can do something on channels 10. You can just as well configure the slider to act as attenuator for the cv input. NRPNs(!!) are also supported.

Still need to wrap my head around the unexpected wealth of possibilities. I happen to have both a Nord Drum 3P and a Digitone. Anything in particular you'd like to know/see? Can't really promise a demo as my video equipment is rather limited, but I might give it shot. I had some fun today controlling a few randomly selected CCs on Blofeld via an Intellijel Planar. Will I be able to come up with something actually good? We'll see ;)
don't fold the wave you're riding on

Audiodog
Common Wiggler

Post by Audiodog » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am

Quick question on the VCMC - apologies if its a dumb question. I simply want to take a CV (pitch) signal and a gate from a Eurorack sequencer and input into the VCMC so i can send the same sequence out via Midi.
I can get the CV pitch info into the VCMC but what setting do i need to just get a simple gate (on & off) into the VCMC. From what i can see all of the gate functions are linked to midi notes so that it overrides the CV pitch data that im sending to the VCMC via the CV input. What am i missing here - this must be possible.
Thx

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:23 pm

I have a dumb question, let's say I use this module to add more modulations to a synth. So I plug the module in midi in of my synth, but how can I still connect my desktop synth to my midi keyboard since the midi in is taken by vcmc module?

Do I have to use a 'midi mixer' box?

Cheers
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:23 pm
I have a dumb question, let's say I use this module to add more modulations to a synth. So I plug the module in midi in of my synth, but how can I still connect my desktop synth to my midi keyboard since the midi in is taken by vcmc module?

Do I have to use a 'midi mixer' box?

Cheers
Yeah, you'd need some midi merge device. There are a few simple cheap ones out there, or more complex stuff like that from Retrokits. Depends on how many devices and how many Ins and Outs you're going to need to merge and split.

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm

Audiodog wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am
Quick question on the VCMC - apologies if its a dumb question. I simply want to take a CV (pitch) signal and a gate from a Eurorack sequencer and input into the VCMC so i can send the same sequence out via Midi.
I can get the CV pitch info into the VCMC but what setting do i need to just get a simple gate (on & off) into the VCMC. From what i can see all of the gate functions are linked to midi notes so that it overrides the CV pitch data that im sending to the VCMC via the CV input. What am i missing here - this must be possible.
Thx
You're right, that's weird. However, you can use the same Midi Channel on both CV and Gate Inputs of one channel strip. If you then configure the CV input to use V/Oct to Note conversion, then the voltage at that input takes precedence over the fixed note# you've chosen for the gate.

NeuralHarmonics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NeuralHarmonics » Sat May 02, 2020 9:05 pm

I have a prebuilt VCMC on the way. How difficult would it be to replace the rubber capped faders with some lit LED ones like those on an Intelijel Mutamix?

bang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bang » Sun May 10, 2020 7:07 am

@Befacosynth
Is it possible to flip the orientation of vcmc rotating the display and adjust the faders accordingly?

Especially for the up coming cv thing this would be a great feature too!

Audiodog
Common Wiggler

Post by Audiodog » Sun May 10, 2020 1:50 pm

bang wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:07 am
@Befacosynth
Is it possible to flip the orientation of vcmc rotating the display and adjust the faders accordingly?

No - i don't think this can be done with the current firmware

Pozzetronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pozzetronics » Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 pm

Audiodog wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:50 pm
bang wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:07 am
@Befacosynth

No - i don't think this can be done with the current firmware
The panel would be simple. The firmware depends directly upon Befaco. I personally always favor jacks on top for controllers/skiff-stuff too. I wish more companies paid attention to this. Odds are, Befaco might!

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri May 15, 2020 8:59 am

So I updated the VCMC with firmware 1.01 and now CV 1 is "maxed out" 2/3 of the time i boot up the module. apparently it does not make any difference if something is connected or not , midi,usb or jacks. Channel 1 is constantly spitting out a max value when this
Any of you experienced that? it is kinda annoying :(
IMG_20200515_135133.jpg
IMG_20200515_135139.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sun May 17, 2020 7:39 pm

NeuralHarmonics wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:05 pm
I have a prebuilt VCMC on the way. How difficult would it be to replace the rubber capped faders with some lit LED ones like those on an Intelijel Mutamix?
Pre-built it would be a real big pain in the ass! First you would have to get past the smaller pain in the ass of getting the front panel off with the midi connector soldered in place.

For a diy if you can find a place to connect LED voltage.... Well... If you want the LEDs to actually display something meaningful other than just lighting up.... Well.... :doh:

Edit: Hey! Just noticed that was your first post! Welcome!
Believe me I'm not always a smartass... Just mostly.
Last edited by Phitar on Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Hirsbro wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:59 am
So I updated the VCMC with firmware 1.01 and now CV 1 is "maxed out" 2/3 of the time i boot up the module. apparently it does not make any difference if something is connected or not , midi,usb or jacks. Channel 1 is constantly spitting out a max value when this

IMG_20200515_135133.jpg
IMG_20200515_135139.jpg
Just did mine tonight and it is fine. Time to recalibrate maybe? :hmm:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 am

Can we use 1 VCMC for 2 synths using a midi splitter cable/device, and configure port 1 for the 1st synth, and port 2 for second synth? So :

VCMC configured to send to MIDI PORT_1 for the 1-4 outputs ->midi splitter/cable-> Synth_1
VCMC configured to send to MIDI PORT_2 for the 5-8 outputs ->midi splitter/cable-> Synth_2

8 outputs are too much for me, 4 are ideal, so why not? :)
Can you say a bit more about how do you use it? Your setup etc. Would be appreciate.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon May 18, 2020 1:40 am

Jaypee wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 am
Can we use 1 VCMC for 2 synths using a midi splitter cable/device, and configure port 1 for the 1st synth, and port 2 for second synth? So :

VCMC configured to send to MIDI PORT_1 for the 1-4 outputs ->midi splitter/cable-> Synth_1
VCMC configured to send to MIDI PORT_2 for the 5-8 outputs ->midi splitter/cable-> Synth_2

8 outputs are too much for me, 4 are ideal, so why not? :)
You can set each slider/gate combo on a different channel, so yes, you can do what you've asked. You can also use the MIDI Thru option on the back of your synths, to avoid having to use a MIDI splitter cable.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 am

Ah yes! midi thru! of course how did I forget it?!

Cheers!

NeuralHarmonics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NeuralHarmonics » Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 pm

Phitar, thank you for the welcome! I’ve decided I’m not near daring enough to try so thank you for your input. Maybe someday. I do love it as a module so far though!

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri May 22, 2020 11:35 pm

NeuralHarmonics wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 pm
Phitar, thank you for the welcome! I’ve decided I’m not near daring enough to try so thank you for your input. Maybe someday. I do love it as a module so far though!
Yeah all that desoldering would be a bit much. Guess they figured that with the OLED displaying levels it wasn't necessary. Saved a little on costs and current draw. Muxlicer is one that could use LED sliders to spruce it up some too. :hihi:

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Sun May 24, 2020 11:39 am

Phitar wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 pm
Hirsbro wrote:

IMG_20200515_135133.jpg
IMG_20200515_135139.jpg
Perhaps if it booted up every time with this issue but it does not it is periodic :cry:

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sat May 30, 2020 3:07 pm

Hirsbro wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:39 am
Phitar wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 pm
Hirsbro wrote:

IMG_20200515_135133.jpg
IMG_20200515_135139.jpg
Perhaps if it booted up every time with this issue but it does not it is periodic :cry:
That's strange. Does it stabilize again after putting the old version back on?
Mine is still fine on every power up. Might need to contact Befaco.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”