Befaco VCMC voltage controlled MIDI controller

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Befacosynth
Common Wiggler

Re: Befaco VCMC voltage controlled MIDI controller

Post by Befacosynth » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:08 am

Previous versions of firmware can be found in our repository:
https://github.com/Befaco/VCMC/tags

Behaviour is not normal at all. If problem persists contact our support team for assistance!
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 am

Befacosynth wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:08 am
Previous versions of firmware can be found in our repository:
https://github.com/Befaco/VCMC/tags

Behaviour is not normal at all. If problem persists contact our support team for assistance!
thanks for clarifying. I have contacted support. waiting to hear back

Befacosynth
Common Wiggler

Post by Befacosynth » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:45 am

Great!

In a couple of days, maximum three, you will be contacted!
My bet goes for misconfiguration :)
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 pm

Make sure to post here with the results. Thanks!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Befacosynth wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:45 am
My bet goes for misconfiguration :)
it is configured properly, pretty straightforward to do..... and I'm suuuuuper chillllll by the way

Plugman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Plugman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Since then, I've also been sounding the same even though the settings are saved but with different MIDI channels.I have to do a factory reset every time and reconfigure it, so I use the old version.Please do something soon!

Befacosynth
Common Wiggler

Post by Befacosynth » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:30 am

Plugman wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:33 pm
Since then, I've also been sounding the same even though the settings are saved but with different MIDI channels.I have to do a factory reset every time and reconfigure it, so I use the old version.Please do something soon!
This issue (and potential bug) is really hard to spot as we cannot replicate the issue in here. It worked in the last 5 units I tested....For some weird reason, problem is intermitent and only affects some units... quite frustrating to troubleshoot :bang:

We are working on it (even on a Sunday...) and for now can offer two troubleshooting paths. Please follow these steps and report back with results:

- Unzip and Load VCMC_1_2_1_Mem_test.zip This is the lates WIP code with many memory optimizations. It might help.

- If we are facing funky memory issues, it might be good to wipe the memory first. Unzip and load wipe_memory.zip, this code will erase EEPROM so teensy will be fresh and clean. Then try to load your code of choice!

Thanks a lot in advance for taking the time to try these out. This is really helpful!!!
Attachments
wipe_memory.zip
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
VCMC_1_2_1_Mem_test.zip
(117.37 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:36 am

cool. mine is still persisting with the same bug after above steps.
even after loading v1.01, repeating steps up to 1.2.1.
except now all gate inputs were triggering midi channel 2 until a CV is patched into corresponding channel.
will try again later after work.

*side note, can't really seem to get mine calibrated. perhaps I'm just an idiot.
after getting to the Factory Cal,
is there supposed to be a "prompt" to enter 2v and then another prompt to enter 8v, cuz I don't get one. so I just proceed:
while watching my voltage carefully through a mordax data, where it clearly shows 2v on my key press,
when I enter it to the VCMC CV in 1, it doesn't reflect that at all, its way off.
and I know the 2v source is solid.

is there any possibility of having a firmware load calibrated?

can you load a DEFAULT preset config in the firmware, where the panel is simply outputting notes /gates to the corresponding midi channels 1-8, so we can jump in and patch? that would be an amazing help. we can choose that to load when we power up.

cheers

Befacosynth
Common Wiggler

Post by Befacosynth » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:02 am

revoltcrews wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:36 am
except now all gate inputs were triggering midi channel 2 until a CV is patched into corresponding channel.

*side note, can't really seem to get mine calibrated. perhaps I'm just an idiot.
is there supposed to be a "prompt" to enter 2v and then another prompt to enter 8v, cuz I don't get one. so I just proceed:
while watching my voltage carefully through a mordax data, where it clearly shows 2v on my key press,
when I enter it to the VCMC CV in 1, it doesn't reflect that at all, its way off.

can you load a DEFAULT preset config in the firmware, where the panel is simply outputting notes /gates to the corresponding midi channels 1-8, so we can jump in and patch? that would be an amazing help. we can choose that to load when we power up.

cheers
If your module is still misbehaving after rolling back to older version, then something is fishy here... Send us a mail with your address so we can send you a new teensy board. Maybe yours is fried.
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Befacosynth wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:02 am
revoltcrews wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:36 am

cheers
If your module is still misbehaving after rolling back to older version, then something is fishy here... Send us a mail with your address so we can send you a new teensy board. Maybe yours is fried.
Email sent to the support thread we had going already :) Thanks so much! You guys :sb:

Plugman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Plugman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:12 am

Befacosynth wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:30 am
Plugman wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:33 pm
This issue (and potential bug) is really hard to spot as we cannot replicate the issue in here. It worked in the last 5 units I tested....For some weird reason, problem is intermitent and only affects some units... quite frustrating to troubleshoot :bang:

We are working on it (even on a Sunday...) and for now can offer two troubleshooting paths. Please follow these steps and report back with results:

- Unzip and Load VCMC_1_2_1_Mem_test.zip This is the lates WIP code with many memory optimizations. It might help.

- If we are facing funky memory issues, it might be good to wipe the memory first. Unzip and load wipe_memory.zip, this code will erase EEPROM so teensy will be fresh and clean. Then try to load your code of choice!

Thanks a lot in advance for taking the time to try these out. This is really helpful!!!
Thank you!
I can finally reply to you!
Using the tool you've uploaded, you can use
I was able to clear the memory.
I am able to use the latest OS 1.2.1.
I was able to save my settings properly when I turned it off.
I have been able to use it successfully.
It really helped me to be free of the nightmare. :yay:
Thank you so much!

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 pm

quick feature request idea:

updating firmware without requiring re-calibration every time. its possible. I have other cv/gate sequencers that don't require calibration every time a firmware is released.

also, any tips on calibrating would be helpful. I just can't seem to get it right.

cheerio

fragletrollet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fragletrollet » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:04 pm

When the faders are configured as midi cc outputs, do they pick up the value when the slider reaches the value in the synth, or directly output the cc of the current value of the fader as soon as its touched? I'm afraid it does the latter because pickup only works with midi feedback from the device under control?

fragletrollet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fragletrollet » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm guessing it doesn't have midi input in any way, so I probably just update the value on the synth as soon as the fader starts transmitting data when you move it. I'm guessing midi input can't be added due to hardware design, and usb working as a device (not host).

Befacosynth
Common Wiggler

Post by Befacosynth » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:29 am

fragletrollet wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:50 pm
I'm guessing it doesn't have midi input in any way, so I probably just update the value on the synth as soon as the fader starts transmitting data when you move it. I'm guessing midi input can't be added due to hardware design, and usb working as a device (not host).
There is a pin in the expansion port to get MIDI in. But by default code is not listening to MIDI in.
MIDI device does listen, but by firmware you cannot achieve your goals of bidireccional feedback.

Code is uploaded in github, so, with time and expertise, you could implement your own features!
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org

dangriffiths
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangriffiths » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:00 am

I imagine a fair few people would benefit from this working if you could add. It would mean being able to connect the VCMC to my FH-2, ES-9 and DistingEX MIDI chain using jumper wires inside the case.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:54 am

Enjoying trying to control my TG-33 with this module - I get control of basic stuff like pitch bend, changing patches, volume and the vector. I also have a MIDI manual that goes way above my head. How would I go about in order to VC for example panning ; PAN ?
midi.jpg

fragletrollet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fragletrollet » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:52 am

Befacosynth wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:29 am
fragletrollet wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:50 pm
There is a pin in the expansion port to get MIDI in. But by default code is not listening to MIDI in.
MIDI device does listen, but by firmware you cannot achieve your goals of bidireccional feedback.

Code is uploaded in github, so, with time and expertise, you could implement your own features!
There is hope... I'm afraid my coding skills are nowhere near being able to add something like this myself, and a firmware upgrade featuring this would be appreciated and firther the module's integration in a (my) midi setup. Something to consider :cloud:

Best,

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:05 am

I have an Elektron Analog Rytm MkII - could the VCMC basically turn my Rytm into a eurorack module? I could trigger up to 8 of its pads using cv?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”