Xaoc Devices Sarajewo: Syncable Analog Delay Line SHIPPING NOW!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Benoist
Common Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Devices Sarajewo: Syncable Analog Delay Line SHIPPING NOW!

Post by Benoist » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm

I have a Sarajewo on the way so I can't comment yet but Morphagene + Mimeophon is a perfect match for exploring bazillion possibilities :love:
Sarajewo should be high character / quality and Mimeophon is many possibilities.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Same as closedLoop. If I need reverb with it I just run in into one of my FX-AIDs.

In addition to the glitches and noise, the mimeophon had an awful was of offsetting left and right delay times. With the Sarajewo, I just pan one output left and another right and get really nice synced stereo delays. And if I want clean/non-analog, I just use my rainmaker or another FXAID
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:38 pm

I have 4 Euro delays (5 if you include my H9 always sitting on the output), and I love both Mimeophon and Sarajewo - I really can't see letting either go. I have Chronoblob 2 and FX-Aid as well. Chronoblob 2 is great, but it's on the outside looking in at this point. And FX-Aid I obviously use for duties in addition to delay.

Why I continue to love Mimeophon: CV'able everything. Zones. Skewable repeats, including L and R delay times (personally, I love engaging ping-pong mode, and then skewing them a bit into a skewed repeat). Halo on its own is a not anything extraordinary verb wise - but I do find it useful being able to dial up Halo a bit, and then CV into Color to swing delay and verb (I mean Halo) back and forth together between bright and darker filtering. Oh, and running in self-oscillation sounds really great.

Why I also love Sarajewo: BBD, 3 tap + mix outputs, BBD, did I mention BBD. So easy to dial in tone, and then push feedback right on the verge to bring it into yummy BBD crunchiness. Works well with feedback going bright (tone up in frequency) or down dark (tone down in frequency).

I'm used to quickly tuning Mimeophon's input gain to match the source, and only once or twice have noticed the noise floor in a very sparse recording - and I had to try to listen for it. It's been a non-issue for me.

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:20 am

Seriously loving the Sarajewo. It seems to sound good on anything, from delicate bell-like sounds to basses. It does have a very big dynamic range, hard to tame. Might get a compressor/limiter module for this.

I like it so much i'm seriously considering getting a second one!

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:47 am

Hi proud Sarajewo delay owners!
Can you please share your opinion/samples how close can be this modules with classic Ibanez AD series delays.
In my tone palette their delays sound big and solid, kind dark (instead of their king AD230), murky trails with early diffusion - all the things that I like. But they are desktop/rack and not so portable (and reliable to be honest).

Is Sarajewo from the same league or it's more fluffy/windy/hi-fi zone?

some examples:

modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

kidkoexist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kidkoexist » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:52 am

carlotter wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:45 pm
Got mine last week and was instantly reminded of my old Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man....actually 3 of them. Had been working on a track with Magneto but Sarajewo sits much better in the mix I think...video below. T1 centre, T2 and T3 left and right. Playing with feedback towards the end of the track.

If you had to choose to keep only magneto or sarajewo? I’m kinda in this limbo right now. They are so different, of course, I get that, but I already have a Mimeophon and likely won’t have room for three delays... maybe :hihi:

carlotter
Common Wiggler

Post by carlotter » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:10 pm

I kept Sarajewo, sold Magneto and got a Volante. I never really modulated Magneto much and didn’t use the looping or sample mode so there was not much point in keeping it in the case. That said I do miss the pitch shifting mode!

kidkoexist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kidkoexist » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:55 pm

carlotter wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:10 pm
I kept Sarajewo, sold Magneto and got a Volante. I never really modulated Magneto much and didn’t use the looping or sample mode so there was not much point in keeping it in the case. That said I do miss the pitch shifting mode!
Great to know, thank you!

Footkerchief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Footkerchief » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 am

Sounds amazing, but the panel layout seems to prioritize aesthetics and symmetry over usability and modulation. There's not even an attenuator for the Time CV.

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:48 am

Footkerchief wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 am
Sounds amazing, but the panel layout seems to prioritize aesthetics and symmetry over usability and modulation. There's not even an attenuator for the Time CV.
Yes, yep, yeah.
Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Dewanatron Triple Slice

Footkerchief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Footkerchief » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:50 am

Manual wrote:For best results at the shortest delay settings you are advised to use the t1 output and combine it with moderate, but not mini-mum delay time settings of the t3time dial. To make Sarajewo work as expected in that configuration—and depending on the intend-ed sonic result—you may wish to patch the t1output to the ext feedbackloop input. To mix the dry signal with the wet signal from the t1 output, an external mixer is needed, as the internal effect mixer always crossfades between the dry and the t3 signal. •
This seems counterproductive -- why would the internal mixer be locked to T3? Wouldn't it be simpler to normal T3 to EXT IN, so that the mixer could operate on any tap?

soundsculptor
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsculptor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am

To anyone using the module, how does the timing respond to modulation, lfo and audio rate?
Is there really no CV control over feedback?
How does the sound compare to the moogerfooger mf-104z, is it comparable?
don´t critisize it - equalize it

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 am

soundsculptor wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am
To anyone using the module, how does the timing respond to modulation, lfo and audio rate?
didn't try audio rate signals, two variants for T modulation described in manual. one is quite subtle (that I like), one is radical (that can be fine)
no CV control for feedback but I find this module really shines in playing with its controls (pots and faders) instead of external (auto) modulation. Design is top (that is a rule for XAOC).

I can't compare with foogers but in comparison with Ibanez AD230 which I had:
1) Sarajewo has a lot more time 1.5s instead of 600ms
2) Both have great self-osc
3) 230 modulation sound very organic (not sterile, not accurate, mush/muddy).
4) Sarajewo is brighter that 230. 230 is a lot brighter that 202 (that has the same feel with 104) =>  Sarajewo a lot more bright delay that 104. but Sarajewo can be also quite dark.
5) Sarajewo has many output that can be interesting used in terms of mixing/stereo/...
6) modern components especially BBD chips. It was real pain to find proper original not fake MN... chips (230 had 18 of them).
7) Sarajewo works with modular level signals )) AD230 was great even with guitars (sounds great) but suck even with highly attenuated analog synths levels. BBD (and most of analog delay/chorus/phaser pedals) are great in tone if input level is not in the red line

soundsculptor
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsculptor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 am

thanks!

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:46 am

I have recently been using my Sarajewo as an EQ for certain signals. I was distorting a signal using tube distortion, and the signal was naturally all over the place (really harsh.)

I found that sending the distorted signal through Sarajewo (with feedback on zero) I could easily adjust the brightness of the signal. Just send the signal through 100% wet, and change the time to decide how bright do you want it: short times for bright and long times for less bright.

This migth be due to the fact that Sarajewo filters the higher frequencies more with longer time settings (to avoid the clock signal.)

Anyways. A nice little trick.

soundsculptor
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsculptor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:22 pm

great sounding delay for sure what I can tell from demos.
one more question - about the clock noise coming through on low delay times...

EDIT:
got mine today, never mind my post, I heard something on a youtube video that reminded me on clock bleed I have heard on other BBD delay units. no such thing here.

extremely clear for a BBD.
very nice sound. it´s meant to be played, with the sliders and huge knob it´s very responsive.
a keeper for sure.
Last edited by soundsculptor on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:52 am

I love my Sarajewo but haven’t been taking advantage of the 3 separate tap outputs. Anybody got any creative patch idea for me?

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 am

Electro Something wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:52 am
I love my Sarajewo but haven’t been taking advantage of the 3 separate tap outputs. Anybody got any creative patch idea for me?
When I got mine, I immediately ordered a Happy Nerding Panmix Jr that they're just perma-patched to. I use the setup as an aux send and pretty much constantly play with the knob and sliders.. Nothing 'creative' so to speak, but damn it makes for a lovely stereo field of those lush delays....

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:45 am

Electro Something wrote:
Pan them. Automate the panning to move them around in the stereo field. Process the taps with a high pass filter. Process them with different secondary effects so each tap has a distinct sound.

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 am

hmm, for now I just used mixed out for mono or T1 and T3 left 100% and right 100%

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:03 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:45 am
Electro Something wrote:
Pan them. Automate the panning to move them around in the stereo field. Process the taps with a high pass filter. Process them with different secondary effects so each tap has a distinct sound.
ahhh very cool. Having fun with this now. I need to do more with the stereo field, this is a great start thanks!

soundsculptor
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsculptor » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:04 pm

johny_gtr wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 am
soundsculptor wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am
didn't try audio rate signals, two variants for T modulation described in manual. one is quite subtle (that I like), one is radical (that can be fine)
no CV control for feedback but I find this module really shines in playing with its controls (pots and faders) instead of external (auto) modulation. Design is top (that is a rule for XAOC).

I can't compare with foogers but in comparison with Ibanez AD230 which I had:
1) Sarajewo has a lot more time 1.5s instead of 600ms
2) Both have great self-osc
3) 230 modulation sound very organic (not sterile, not accurate, mush/muddy).
4) Sarajewo is brighter that 230. 230 is a lot brighter that 202 (that has the same feel with 104) =>  Sarajewo a lot more bright delay that 104. but Sarajewo can be also quite dark.
5) Sarajewo has many output that can be interesting used in terms of mixing/stereo/...
6) modern components especially BBD chips. It was real pain to find proper original not fake MN... chips (230 had 18 of them).
7) Sarajewo works with modular level signals )) AD230 was great even with guitars (sounds great) but suck even with highly attenuated analog synths levels. BBD (and most of analog delay/chorus/phaser pedals) are great in tone if input level is not in the red line
Got mine today, very cool module. It´s a very good addition next to my mf-104z, with the multi tap outputs. also less distortion on long delay settings.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”