Xaoc Devices Sarajewo: Syncable Analog Delay Line SHIPPING NOW!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

nomass
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Xaoc Devices Sarajewo: Syncable Analog Delay Line SHIPPING NOW!

Post by nomass » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:14 pm

I think you have to watch the out of range led or things get messy.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:33 pm

noisa im wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 pm
Sometimes I like hiss, but when I decide ;-) Here I don't like so much
I get no hiss out of Sarajewo. Have you checked everything else?

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:49 am

I get some background noise if I have the input gain too high. I find it best to have it around 3/4 full, and then I get a really low noise floor for a BBD delay. With euro modules it's always good to try a different psu if you're having some problems, the cheap psu's can be quite problematic at times. A module can work really nice with one PSU, and have really nasty artefacts with another.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:09 am

Please, let's not pollute this discussion about the beautiful Sarajewo with endless noise floor discussions... if you want that sort of thing you'll find it over in the Mimeophon thread :hihi:

tristanhbe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tristanhbe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Just ordered mine. Now the long weekend wait.

First Eurorack effect for me....

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:10 am

ookrsia wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:49 am
I get some background noise if I have the input gain too high. I find it best to have it around 3/4 full, and then I get a really low noise floor for a BBD delay. With euro modules it's always good to try a different psu if you're having some problems, the cheap psu's can be quite problematic at times. A module can work really nice with one PSU, and have really nasty artefacts with another.
I don’t get any noise coming from mine but unity gain seems to be with the input cranked all the way up.

DCastillo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DCastillo » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:14 pm

black_label wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:10 am
ookrsia wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:49 am
I don’t get any noise coming from mine but unity gain seems to be with the input cranked all the way up.
FWIW I was getting a randomized whine sound dancing around 3kHz when I had the Sarajewo in my MakeNoise case (similar to the Metropolis noise I'm familiar with). I just put it in my L1 linear case and it is amazingly clean even at super long delay times—and with the input gain all the way up, with a hot signal.

Also confirming that the input at 10 seems to be unity.

Sounds so good!

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:08 pm

that's bizarre, i seem to have best results around noon. From noon to 3/4 it starts colouring more, past 3/4 it will seriously overdrive

It does sound great! very coloured but so musical and lush. My favourite thing has been using a planar joystick to affect both the source material and the delay time when synced, such glitchy lushness!

Going to try and cacade it into mimeophon now, i think the freeze function could be magical for capturing those mid-glitch beauties

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Looooving my Sarajewo. So warm and clean and lush. Sounds even better than the BBD in my Matriarch. Gives me that "80s sound" I always crave.

What other creative ways have you been patching the three taps and external feedback? I've tried panning the taps left and right and patching them into the Mimephon, for some amazing results.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:45 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Goes even better next to the Katowice!! Amazing combo.
How of you been patching it with the Katowice?

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Not who you asked, but right now I'm patching some drums into the Sarajewo and then taking each tap out into their own channel of the Instruo Tanh for feedback limiting and then into a mixer with some pan automation, I then run this mix into the Katowice and play with the various bands in the Katowice from there.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:24 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:01 pm
Not who you asked, but right now I'm patching some drums into the Sarajewo and then taking each tap out into their own channel of the Instruo Tanh for feedback limiting and then into a mixer with some pan automation, I then run this mix into the Katowice and play with the various bands in the Katowice from there.
Oh very cool I haven’t tired patching drums in yet.

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:02 pm

I don't have the Katowice, but have the LR4 which is sorta a mono version - I love patching a single BIA through LR4... with 1 or 2 of the 3 LR4 outs going to Sarawejo (and 1 or 2 of the outs going elsewhere). I've repeated this patch several times (except with Mimeophon instead of Sarajewo) and it's a lot of fun and pretty crazy how full you can get a single BIA (or drum track) to sound.

thesparkthatthought
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thesparkthatthought » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:06 am

I have two of these and I love them. I've paired each with a little Malekko mixer to control the feedback on each tap and do some ping-pong style stereo cross patching. Using all three taps turns this into something between a reverb and a delay. It can be super lush. Also pairs well with a couple of heavily attenuated LFOs to make the delay drift ever-so-slightly.

This is by far the best analog delay module I own, for delay purposes. (Other modules like the A-188 are great as skrokulators, not so much as standard delays.) The tap tempo input is a killer feature. I don't know of any other analog delay module that has a tap tempo input.

Gripes:
Activating the alternate time modulation mode, where the CV is added to the tap tempo without jumping to quantized values, requires powering up the module while holding the tap tempo button every time. It'd be nice if this mode was remembered between power cycles.
It would be great if the tone control had a CV input as well.

Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:18 am

NoLegs wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:01 pm
Curious how this sounds?

mysteryredinferno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mysteryredinferno » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:12 pm

I ordered a Sarajewo in November. Had the unit for a few days and the delay section stopped working: still passed and attenuated audio and the rate LED was still working, but nothing but silence from the delay outputs. The shop where I bought it replaced it and it worked great for a month. Turned the case on today and now I'm having the same problem with the new unit.
Anyone else had issues like this? Could it be a PSU compatibility issue? I have a Trogo 420 (30a) case.
What say ye, people?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Oh no. Don’t tell me that. I’ve had enough bad luck with a 1010 Bitbox micro recently. So far I haven’t had any power issues. I’ve had it in an Intellijel 7u and and Intellijel palette.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

vineski807a
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vineski807a » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:16 pm

I had/have the exact same issue. I put it in a different case and it still wasn’t working properly. Then the next day a put it back in the original case and made sure all my connections were good and haven’t had any issues for a couple of weeks. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

mysteryredinferno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mysteryredinferno » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:54 pm

No worries, thanks for your response! Glad to hear you got your unit working again. I'm not sure what the issue with mine is. I'm really hoping I can get this to work for me because I love analog BBD's and the Sarajewo sounds incredible. Someone from Xaoc reached out and we're discussing now.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:27 pm

mysteryredinferno wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:54 pm
No worries, thanks for your response! Glad to hear you got your unit working again. I'm not sure what the issue with mine is. I'm really hoping I can get this to work for me because I love analog BBD's and the Sarajewo sounds incredible. Someone from Xaoc reached out and we're discussing now.
Just reading about this issue. I rearranged my case a couple of weeks ago, and after power up, everything but Sarajewo was working. It lit up as though it was working, but didn't pass any audio. I checked everything on that power supply, and all the connections looked good. I pulled everything out, and put everything back pretty much the way it was, and Sarajewo worked just fine. No issues since, and I have no explanation why it did what it did.

If you find an answer to this problem, please post it. Maybe Sarajewo is just really finicky about power?

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Just wanted to add that I've had mine in both my cases (Doepfer low cost 6U 84 hp and Monorocket base 6U 104 hp) with zeros issues thus far. I hope everyone else's power issues are resolved quickly, though! Would be a shame to not be able to use this awesome module.

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:01 pm

Got mine as soon as released, use every day, zero issues.

Still in total love with it. Here's a piece showcasing it. Just Rene into STO into Math's (using Ch1 & 4 as frequency dividers) into Sarajewo with its T1 and T3 panned wide and T2 down the middle. No filters or effects - just added some limiting in DAW.

esmooov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esmooov » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:34 pm

EDIT: Delete

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:09 pm

I need a Euro delay (all I have is a Prism!).

Anyone with experience with this vs. a Mimeophon?

I understand Mimeophon is more than just a delay (which is good!) and I already have a Morpagene to sit next to it, but something about the demos of this is calling my name from the "pretty sounds that make you zone out and drool" department.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:21 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:09 pm
I need a Euro delay (all I have is a Prism!).

Anyone with experience with this vs. a Mimeophon?

I understand Mimeophon is more than just a delay (which is good!) and I already have a Morpagene to sit next to it, but something about the demos of this is calling my name from the "pretty sounds that make you zone out and drool" department.
I sold my Mimeophon and got the Sarajewo. On paper, there are some similar features, but they are really different modules. For my use of Mimeophon, I just couldn't decide what it was supposed to be. It has reverb, but you don't have too much control over it. It does freezy and smeary sounds, but other modules do that much better (Arbhar, Nebulae, Morphagene). It's a very interesting tempo synced delay, but I didn't like the darkish sonic character. There's also the noise issue, and that bugged me when I tried to use it seriously.

Sarajewo is much more straight forward. It's a gorgeous, really thoughtfully engineered BBD delay with tempo sync and a feedback loop. If you're into the general BBD delay sound, then this module will likely blow your mind.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”